Adam Bartlett Signs

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Adam Bartlett Signs

Post by poppyfield » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:48 am

Darlington FC‏ @Official_Darlo · 1m1 minute ago

 More

Quakers sign experienced keeper Adam Bartlett
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

poppyfield

Re: Adam Bartlett Signs

Post by poppyfield » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:50 am

Seems a strange one to me
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:53 am

Not totally on board with this one, big fan of Ed. Will be a big shame to see either ed or Jameson go.

Wonder if he'll start on Wednesday.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:55 am

As I put on the other thread, he's got very good pedigree and should improve the squad. It would be harsh on Ed if he goes straight into the team, but if the opportunity to strengthen the squad is there then, finances permitting, it's MGs job to do so!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:56 am

Ed or Pete must be going,if Bartlett starts tonight then must be Ed.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:01 am

Bell will go surely

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:06 am

If I was a betting man, I'd say Jameson to Spennymoor

Wouldn't surprise me if Bell stays on as he currently is - goalkeeping coach, registered as an emergency keeper.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:10 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Ed or Pete must be going,if Bartlett starts tonight then must be Ed.

Maybe he's come as a keeper/coach,as he's apparently gone to Boro as a coach.
Fresh start somewhere else for PJ and dispense with Bells services?.As said above it will be very harsh on Ed to be left out.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:33 am

Really cannot fathom this one out, there must be more news to come but Craig Stoddart says he will be starting tonight so really baffling as End has been very solid.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:34 am

Meant Ed not End, predictive text again.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:39 am

He has just "left" Poolie and taken up a kids coaching job with the Boro.

Maybe a suitable long term replacement for both Jameson and Bell.

Could be a lot of pressure on him (& MG) if he's played tonight, as Ed has developed a good working relationship with the defenders.

The forthcoming teams we are about to be play may have tactics that have some bearing on his selection, instead of trying to re-train Ed in a few days. (e.g. better distribution for keeping possession).

MG must have a lot of faith in him, so I guess he has viewed him in action with Pools.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:41 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Really cannot fathom this one out, there must be more news to come but Craig Stoddart says he will be starting tonight so really baffling as End has been very solid.

According to the Darlo homepage report he is in the squad for tonight,not a definite starter.We'll see.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:42 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Really cannot fathom this one out, there must be more news to come but Craig Stoddart says he will be starting tonight so really baffling as End has been very solid.

I guess it is just one of those situations where the opportunity has come up to sign a player that on paper considerably strengthens us - despite the signing being in a position we're covered in. It happened at the start of the season with Gillies, and it meant that Nightingale left despite doing nothing wrong (by all accounts he looked decent in pre-season).

If these opportunities present themselves and fall within budget, we'd be foolish not to take them. This seems a good fit in terms of someone who wants to go part time probably before they have to, to give themselves a good post-football career. Similar to Phil Turnbull.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:44 am

It's not really that hard to understand from MG's point of view. He's been presented with an opportunity to sign a player with lots of professional experience, who should improve the squad - and probably the team (I say this as a big fan of Ed, but Bartlett's spent a lot of time in the Conference and L2). MG will be aiming for promotion this season, and an opportunity has come up to strengthen heading into the final stages of the season.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:50 am

Take your point al quaker but 3 good keepers at this level seems strange to me but time will tell.Still think whoever of the 3 who is not on the bench tonight will be on his way.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:57 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Take your point al quaker but 3 good keepers at this level seems strange to me but time will tell.Still think whoever of the 3 who is not on the bench tonight will be on his way.
Oh no doubt 3 keepers is overkill for us. One will surely leave soonish - Jameson would obviously be favourite to seeing as he's now 3rd choice.

On a related note, we could in theory get a little bit of cash if we sell a keeper after signing Bartlett on a free, which wouldn't be bad business!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:08 pm

Saw him play for Hereford at Orient once in Johnstone's Paint Trophy and he was outstanding. Orient should have won by a cricket score if it was not for him.

Game ended 0-0 then he saved a number of penalties to win game for Hereford.

A very good signing at this level and also for the next level up

sada8022

Post by sada8022 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:15 pm

I thought Ed was just on loan

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Hereford and Gateshead fans seemed to like him whereas Hartlepool fans are glad to be rid of him by all accounts.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:39 pm

Was puzzled when Bell did not step up to play regularly when Jameson was injured earlier. I can't understand why we need yet another keeper as Ed W seems to be building a very good understanding with the back four and they seem to have confidence in him. More clean sheets in the last couple of displays than in the rest of the season should be some indication of Ed's performances. PJ (when 100% fit) could do a good job for another team and would be great if someone did make us an offer. Anyway, MG must have a plan and we must trust him to do the right thing. Not sure what signals it sends out to other squad members when people go straight into the mix.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:50 pm

It's not a question of needing another keeper.

More that Gray rates Bartlett, thinks he'll improve the squad and presumably thinks he's a step up from what we have.

That's no slight on Wilczynski or Jameson who've both served us well and it's a shame that at least one of them will inevitably leave.

But if we're to step up we can't really afford to be sentimental.

As for Bell, it was fairly obvious he was brought in as a coach and would only play in a dire emergency if a keeper was injured in a game or sent off.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

sada8022

Post by sada8022 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:52 pm

We wont need Bell as a coach for Bartlett

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:55 pm

Possibly lose Belly as well as PJ? Financially a good decision if so.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:55 pm

Whilst I agree that I would have looked at other positions first, if a better player comes along then I don't have a problem in signing them (as long as it's 'cost neutral').

If a player better becomes available then I have no problem if Martin Gray tries to sign them, as long as he doesn't break the bank

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Makes perfect sense to me signing Bartlett. A proven keeper at a higher level who wants to remain part-time. Whoever has to be released will be Gray's decision, there is no room for sentiment. Signing Bartlett shows we are already preparing for next season and possibly competing in the Conference.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:02 pm

Darlogramps wrote:It's not a question of needing another keeper.

More that Gray rates Bartlett, thinks he'll improve the squad and presumably thinks he's a step up from what we have.

That's no slight on Wilczynski or Jameson who've both served us well and it's a shame that at least one of them will inevitably leave.

But if we're to step up we can't really afford to be sentimental.

As for Bell, it was fairly obvious he was brought in as a coach and would only play in a dire emergency if a keeper was injured in a game or sent off.
correct. at very first glance, it looked odd signing a keeper after the clean sheets we've had.

but - any chance to improve the quality of the squad within budget has to be considered. MG strikes me very much as a strategic thinker as well as managing the here and now.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:02 pm

sada8022 wrote:We wont need Bell as a coach for Bartlett
We'd still need a coach though

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:03 pm

I think its a great signing, credit to ed hes been great the games hes played and looks solid but if we are wanting to go up through the leagues we have to snap players up like adam whos played at a higher level before anyone else does

tezza

Post by tezza » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:19 pm

banktopp wrote:Makes perfect sense to me signing Bartlett. A proven keeper at a higher level who wants to remain part-time. Whoever has to be released will be Gray's decision, there is no room for sentiment. Signing Bartlett shows we are already preparing for next season and possibly competing in the Conference.
Spot On

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:19 pm

Emdubya wrote:

According to the Darlo homepage report he is in the squad for tonight,not a definite starter.We'll see.
No-one is starting tonight! Anyway the postponement may give him time to be introduced to the squad and work out with the lads a non-competitive match before playing in the vital run-in.