Gainsborough Trinity V Darlington FC Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjljks
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gainsborough Trinity V Darlington FC Match Thread

Post by jjljks » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:03 pm

My opinion wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
dickdarlington wrote:Ed was doing alright but has he really had anything to do so far?
A good point, and I was thinking the same thing.

Yes, Ed has been solid - but in the games I've seen with him in goal, I can't remember him making a save! He's claimed the ball well, kept things tight and been sensible etc but we haven't really seen him in proper action.
In the earlier games that Ed played in he had plenty to do, though I din't think he was to blame for the goals conceded.
Over the last 3 games he played in it could be argued that he had little to do.
But, it could also be argued that he had command of his area and as such organises his defence accordingly...
Being vocal and organised is part of his game, and that was a big factor in our recent clean sheets.
Agreed, at least 2 of the Gainsborough goals were down to poor communication which was probably down to not having had time to create the necessary understanding between GK & back four. Can't understand why Saturday was a good time for MG to change the defence which had been keeping clean sheets. One thing for certain, he needs to improve on Wed night. We still have the playoffs within our own grasp but need to get back to getting the 2nd goal and killing games off once we get ahead. Doesn't look like we have the ability to do this at the moment. A couple of extra games in the playoffs would help the coffers, irrespective of going up. Staying down would have us playing a few more local games like Blyth, North Ferriby and possibly York, Spennymoor or Whitby. Come on, Darlo!

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:53 pm

lo36789 wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:The three goals against:

Number One: Absolute howler from the keeper, schoolboy error.
Number Two: Galbraith should have done better but keeper was hopelessly out of position giving the attacker the chance to just clip it easily into the far corner,
Number Three: Slack defending from a long throw but keeper has to be better with a ball dropping two yards from his goal. Woeful.

Ed had hardly put a foot wrong, clean sheets were being notched up and we were looking more solid. You don't need to fix what ain't broken.
how cliché

right

goal 1: not getting away from if you commit you have to claim or punch it sails well over his head.
goal 2: I don't really see how it is his fault the ball travelled a mighty distance because of poor defending he closes it down but can't get there quick enough - I am not sure what position you expected him to be in? The only way I can see he could have prevented that is somehow knowing our defender would let it run that far and therefore anticipated and come charging out at the point the throw in was taken...not really going to happen.
goal 3: this is not his fault either. He is in the right position to deal with a goal bound effort from the initial throw. The fact it is flicked on and their man is left unmarked on the 6 yard box is not our goalkeepers fault.

What I would say is all 6 goals are a terrible representation of defending in the National League North. Our 3 goals are just as bad as theirs!
Great assessment,keeper only at fault for the first.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:11 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:The three goals against:

Number One: Absolute howler from the keeper, schoolboy error.
Number Two: Galbraith should have done better but keeper was hopelessly out of position giving the attacker the chance to just clip it easily into the far corner,
Number Three: Slack defending from a long throw but keeper has to be better with a ball dropping two yards from his goal. Woeful.

Ed had hardly put a foot wrong, clean sheets were being notched up and we were looking more solid. You don't need to fix what ain't broken.
how cliché

right

goal 1: not getting away from if you commit you have to claim or punch it sails well over his head.
goal 2: I don't really see how it is his fault the ball travelled a mighty distance because of poor defending he closes it down but can't get there quick enough - I am not sure what position you expected him to be in? The only way I can see he could have prevented that is somehow knowing our defender would let it run that far and therefore anticipated and come charging out at the point the throw in was taken...not really going to happen.
goal 3: this is not his fault either. He is in the right position to deal with a goal bound effort from the initial throw. The fact it is flicked on and their man is left unmarked on the 6 yard box is not our goalkeepers fault.

What I would say is all 6 goals are a terrible representation of defending in the National League North. Our 3 goals are just as bad as theirs!
Great assessment,keeper only at fault for the first.
That's what I said people are so quick to hang the lad out to dry

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:30 pm

He'll need time to get into the rhythm of playing again, he's been sat on the bench for way too long. I was kind of surprised he went straight into the team at such short notice, i'd have thought you'd want to give him a couple of weeks training with the defence before that.

No point in getting on his case already.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:32 pm

Think I need to clarify. It wasn't having a go at the new keeper just felt Ed had been doing well.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:39 pm

Jameson was an excellent servant to the club, but had more than his fair share of chances which cost us points this season, before he was replaced.

Ed, on the other hand, was/is doing very well. I don't get why he has been discarded so quickly and so unnecessarily.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:09 am

Clearly Gray feels that our 2 new keepers are an upgrade on Jameson, for me the jury is out and only time will tell if he has made the right call.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:38 am

Quakerz wrote:
JE93 wrote:
I think we're 1 Commanding and Experienced CB away from being a very decent side at this level.
I'd say one CB and one forward. Two forwards if we lose Beck over the summer.
Yep. Gray has shown before that he is not afraid to be ruthless when it comes to moving people on. That time has arrived (quite a while ago) in our central defence and I'm very surprised he has not acted before now.

Having said that, if better players are not available within our budget, then he has little option to stay with what we have.

Only he knows whether he has investigated that option.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:38 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
JE93 wrote:
I think we're 1 Commanding and Experienced CB away from being a very decent side at this level.
I'd say one CB and one forward. Two forwards if we lose Beck over the summer.
Yep. Gray has shown before that he is not afraid to be ruthless when it comes to moving people on. That time has arrived (quite a while ago) in our central defence and I'm very surprised he has not acted before now.

Having said that, if better players are not available within our budget, then he has little option to stay with what we have.

Only he knows whether he has investigated that option.
From rumours on here we were in for an experienced central defender a month or so ago. Like you say, it might just be that the right player hasn't been available so we've been forced to stick with what we have.

What's Ian Miller up to these days? Is he settled down south somewhere?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Needham in the Isthmian league after one game for Braintree. He certainly played at a decent level.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:33 am

Good to see people standing up for the keeper and giving an honest assessment. After reading Twitter and grays post match comments you would have thought the keeper made 3 massive howlers. First one was a shocker, but defence were primarily to blame on the other 2. I would say that the keeper gets a very small proportion for the last 2.

I'm still a fan of the 4-4-2 but our form seems to have improved under the 4-3-3. Would like to see gillies and wearmouth in place of Thompson and cartman on Wednesday. One or both of CBs to come back in, depends on whether they have a pacey striker