Darlo v BPA Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

wizardofos
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v BPA Match Thread

Post by wizardofos » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:14 am

The average crowd for the last 6 matches at Blackwell (taking the first two out due to novelty factor) is 1,607. The average for this season at Heritage Park was 1,593.
Not the progress any of us would have liked for all the reasons discussed in detail already.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:29 am

DarloDave40 wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:1333
Poor crowd I can only see budget going down next season based on crowds we are getting recently.
We know Season Ticket sales will be the driver of this - need a decent pitch on these next season.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:38 am

The emergence of Harvey Saunders into the first team, will only help to encourage our youth team. Did anybody else notice last night that there wasn't a freekick until 35 minutes? I think if that header in the first few minutes had gone in, then it would have been a different game altogether.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:55 am

JE93 wrote:Massive result for us tonight and brilliant for Saunders to get the goal. That's 2 important goals he's got for us now. 6 to go.

Glad to see Gillies back in the starting 11, hasn't set the world alight recently but he is a player who can just make things happen. I think barring maybe Galbraith for Burgess at CB the one that started tonight is our strongest team.

Just our of interest where did Saunders come from? MG academy? Northern League? DFC youth teams?
I think he's come through the youth system and the MG academy. Has had recent loans at quite a few Northern League clubs.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:01 am

Gillies is frustrating, he gets into good positions and then rather than take on the last defender, he passes the ball back. He isn't alone in doing this as on various occasions midfielders look to pass the ball back rather then play it forward.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:03 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:The emergence of Harvey Saunders into the first team, will only help to encourage our youth team. Did anybody else notice last night that there wasn't a freekick until 35 minutes? I think if that header in the first few minutes had gone in, then it would have been a different game altogether.
Totally agree, Harvey showed he has a wise head on young shoulders after disgraceful ref caused dreadful scene at the end of the match. Thommo should have punted the ball into the empty net in the first place. If the header had gone in, there would have been 80 minutes of nail biting rather than 15! No way a great game to watch, but at least 3 points in the bag. Now, we can think about Fylde as playoffs still within our own hands / feet ;)

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:20 am

wizardofos wrote:The average crowd for the last 6 matches at Blackwell (taking the first two out due to novelty factor) is 1,607. The average for this season at Heritage Park was 1,593.
So if we take the last 2 crowds at HP away (which it could be argued were artificially inflated because of the novelty of us leaving...)

What is the HP average then? Point being, you can't manipulate figures to suit a point

To be fair, the crowd last night is only 102 more than the lowest this season at HP, and that is worrying. We seem to be on an attendance death spiral. Hopefully we've hit a low point with attendances now.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:23 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:The emergence of Harvey Saunders into the first team, will only help to encourage our youth team. Did anybody else notice last night that there wasn't a freekick until 35 minutes? I think if that header in the first few minutes had gone in, then it would have been a different game altogether.
DFR (great commentaries!) said the BPA game was very competitive, so maybe Darlo should be more combative to be more effective.

This more physical & dogged approach definitely made the difference in Darlo's previous promotion run-ins, but in this league there are extra risks of cards from inconsistent match officials. e.g. the Salford games last season.

The team need to beat the opposition now, making opportunities from stronger tackles, rather than be too easy going and relying on a mixture of self-esteem and plodding.

Falkingham is showing the way and some others could increase the team's controlled aggression.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:38 am

Quakerz wrote:
wizardofos wrote:The average crowd for the last 6 matches at Blackwell (taking the first two out due to novelty factor) is 1,607. The average for this season at Heritage Park was 1,593.
So if we take the last 2 crowds at HP away (which it could be argued were artificially inflated because of the novelty of us leaving...)

What is the HP average then? Point being, you can't manipulate figures to suit a point

To be fair, the crowd last night is only 102 more than the lowest this season at HP, and that is worrying. We seem to be on an attendance death spiral. Hopefully we've hit a low point with attendances now.
Some said league position doesn't effect crowds (early season), but if Darlo had picked up an extra 4-6 points recently home crowds & away followings would be a lot higher.

See what happens to attendances if Darlo beat Fylde.

The seating, terracing, catering and bar facilities could do with some not too costly improvements close season, as this season's "match day experience" at BM is so poor compared to HP.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:35 am

Neil Johnson wrote:
DFR (great commentaries!) said the BPA game was very competitive, so maybe Darlo should be more combative to be more effective.

This more physical & dogged approach definitely made the difference in Darlo's previous promotion run-ins, but in this league there are extra risks of cards from inconsistent match officials. e.g. the Salford games last season.

The team need to beat the opposition now, making opportunities from stronger tackles, rather than be too easy going and relying on a mixture of self-esteem and plodding.
Falkingham is showing the way and some others could increase the team's controlled aggression.
Surpassed yourself in the talking absolute nonsense stakes.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:47 am

Neil Johnson wrote: The seating, terracing, catering and bar facilities could do with some not too costly improvements close season, as this season's "match day experience" at BM is so poor compared to HP.
How the hell are we supposed to improve the seating and terracing in a "not too costly way"?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:27 am

Quakerz wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote: The seating, terracing, catering and bar facilities could do with some not too costly improvements close season, as this season's "match day experience" at BM is so poor compared to HP.
How the hell are we supposed to improve the seating and terracing in a "not too costly way"?
Get the emergency chairs out. I've got two in my garage I can bring next season.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:28 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote:

It's hilarious, isn't it.

That passage genuinely means absolutely nothing.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:32 am

And with the foul, the Bradford defender thought play had stopped for the clear professional foul on Tommo, so he picked up the ball, and was penalized for handball![/quote]

That little episode summed up the atrocious performance of all 3 officials. We have had this ref before if I am not mistaken, and he has regressed even further than I thought possible. FA seriously need to route out these inept individuals who time after time see themselves as the main attraction.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:35 am

Darlogramps wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote:

It's hilarious, isn't it.

That passage genuinely means absolutely nothing.
How does strong tackling create opportunities any more than self-esteem and plodding can create opportunities?

Does anyone remember reddy?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:34 am

I didn't get a team sheet last night ,after about 20 mins I asked was Gillies on the bench,shows how much input josh had in the game ,however he was not the only one most had a poor game, pleased for Harvey Saunders a product of M,G academy.
Maybe players thought it was going to be an easy game so had an eye on Saturday at fylde,

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:46 am

tezza wrote:And with the foul, the Bradford defender thought play had stopped for the clear professional foul on Tommo, so he picked up the ball, and was penalized for handball!

That little episode summed up the atrocious performance of all 3 officials. We have had this ref before if I am not mistaken, and he has regressed even further than I thought possible. FA seriously need to route out these inept individuals who time after time see themselves as the main attraction.
To be fair to the ref, that confusion with the handball wasn't really his fault. He was clearly indicating that there was no foul on Thompson so it's the Bradford players fault he wasn't paying attention to what was going on and assumed a foul had been given.
I didn't know what was going on at the time from the far side of the pitch, to me the ref had waved play on then the next thing I know we have a free kick, I thought he had changed his mind but then the free kick that was given was from a different place. Seems he made a decision (albeit wrong) and stuck to it and had no choice but to give handball.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:48 am

Gillies was brought in to replace Cartman, but was just as lost in a 4-3-3 system. Whereas Cartman ends up wasted out wide when he's better more centrally, Gillies was wasted centrally most of the time when he is better out wide. Marrs and Ferguson where rarely able to get forward, especially first half, so we had no width to our game, hence the over familiar route one ball. The one time Gillies found himself wide, he made the chance for Syers to hit the post. Bit better once subs came on.

Mostly tedious game, but a win is a win at this stage.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:57 am

onewayup wrote:I didn't get a team sheet last night ,after about 20 mins I asked was Gillies on the bench,shows how much input josh had in the game ,however he was not the only one most had a poor game, pleased for Harvey Saunders a product of M,G academy.
Maybe players thought it was going to be an easy game so had an eye on Saturday at fylde,
I hear what you are saying on this and agree that Gillies had a quiet game, pitch doesn't help with his skill set mind.
Also when the defenders and Turnbull continually pump 50 yard passes to the opposite wing bypassing the midfield altogether does not help.
Surprised no-one has mentioned the free kick we had on the halfway line where it was knocked down the left wing instead of the middle where everyone was...At that moment in time we didn't have anyone down the left wing and the ball went out for a throw

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:58 am

Neil Johnson wrote:The seating, terracing, catering and bar facilities could do with some not too costly improvements close season, as this season's "match day experience" at BM is so poor compared to HP.
This is really starting to bug me...

How is the larger capacity terracing a poorer experience than at Bish? The sightlines are better, and you can see the whole pitch from every space (which you couldn't up the road).
How is the larger bar and clubhouse a poorer experience?
How is the catering worse off?
Yes, the seats could be raised but that costs money. Money we simply do not have.

I personally don't see any degradation in the service provided (we'll excuse the first two games as there were clear teething problems). The next improvements need to be on the pitch surface and on extra seats. There is scope for more but that will come in time. The only area we don't have at BM is a grass bank...which we shouldn't have used in the first place

The ground was never going to be perfect. But we've got exactly what we could afford. We need to take stock, not get rose tinted about Bish, and get behind the next round of fundraising. We will get the ground we can afford.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:26 pm

dickdarlington wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote:The seating, terracing, catering and bar facilities could do with some not too costly improvements close season, as this season's "match day experience" at BM is so poor compared to HP.
This is really starting to bug me...

How is the larger capacity terracing a poorer experience than at Bish? The sightlines are better, and you can see the whole pitch from every space (which you couldn't up the road).
How is the larger bar and clubhouse a poorer experience?
How is the catering worse off?
Yes, the seats could be raised but that costs money. Money we simply do not have.

I personally don't see any degradation in the service provided (we'll excuse the first two games as there were clear teething problems). The next improvements need to be on the pitch surface and on extra seats. There is scope for more but that will come in time. The only area we don't have at BM is a grass bank...which we shouldn't have used in the first place

The ground was never going to be perfect. But we've got exactly what we could afford. We need to take stock, not get rose tinted about Bish, and get behind the next round of fundraising. We will get the ground we can afford.

Totally agree with this we get what we can afford , improvements are happening week on week, stronger ties are being made by both clubs,
Lots happening that we the punter do not see. All I can say is keep the faith we will get there.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:32 pm

As Loan Star pointed out in a previous thread. Bishop wouldn't have been half as good if the rules had been enforced and we weren't allowed to watch from the grass mounds. I'm glad we did because it did improve the view

TDS

Post by TDS » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:42 pm

Boring game for me, however we could've won 3-0 if the two off the woodwork went in. Fergusons pass to Thommo that went out summed up the first half mind.

We need the seats back from HP, put them in the same location and people will have more of a space to sit, kids cant see over the fencing and are mainly occupying themselves. I enjoyed HP more for some reason, but can see the potential in where we are.

Takes the pressure off for Saturday now.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:45 pm

Last night was always going to be a tricky test. Bradford PA are much improved, they have several decent loan signings who have helped and prior to last night they had won seven of their previous ten away games, including a victory at Stockport. They were well organised last night, chased everything and looked sharp on the break in the first half. I also thought Nowakowski did a good job for them in the midfield battle and he barely lost a header all night. The good thing is that they still have to play Stockport, Fylde and Kidderminster, one or two of whom will hopefully think it's three points just about already in the bag.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:10 pm

I don't think we were as bad as some people made out last night. There is a difference between a match being entertaining and a team playing poorly. It wasn't brilliant last night and I'm not saying we played superbly but we've played worse than this. Bradford PA looked half decent and organised and on a decent run of form - particularly away from home. This was never going to be easy.

The first half was a bit dull, granted. However we did actually try and play football in spells. Second half was better, we got more width and players got closer to Beck to pick up his pieces. We've hit the post twice, had couple flash across the face of goal and eventually scored a goal after rolling the dice and throwing on extra forwards.

At this stage of the season I'll take this result over entertainment any day of the week.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:45 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:

Neil,

Not sure your example of games in a different league highlight your alleged inconsistencies in this league

sada8022

Post by sada8022 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:35 pm

JE93 wrote:Massive result for us tonight and brilliant for Saunders to get the goal. That's 2 important goals he's got for us now. 6 to go.

Glad to see Gillies back in the starting 11, hasn't set the world alight recently but he is a player who can just make things happen. I think barring maybe Galbraith for Burgess at CB the one that started tonight is our strongest team.

Just our of interest where did Saunders come from? MG academy? Northern League? DFC youth teams?

Gillies did not have a good game he keeps going backwards , he even turned back onto his wrong foot at one stage, Cartman gives us more.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:02 pm

Not the progress any of us would have liked for all the reasons discussed in detail already.
Yeah, no doubt it hasn't been as good as hoped. I do think there's been a couple of problems. One on the field, is that we've not had a lot of high profile opposition yet. Boston, Kiddy, Stockport, Fylde and Salford games were all at HP. (Games that were likely to bring in higher crowds anyway). I think you may see another capacity crowd for FC United, especially if thinks continue to pan out the way they are, which will massage the BM figures a little.

I think another problem was the opening game at BM. I don't think we were ready for that, and the poor views will have put a lot off. I think we maybe need to have done some work over the summer before we can convince people who went that day to come back again, when they can see there's a food outlet, they can go in the bar... but also, things like the dugouts are moved back so you can actually see on the clubhouse side and the availability of more seating so kids can see (priority one, and i'd like to see a dedicated family area).

I think the other thing to bare in mind is our form did dip just after the move, and the pitch has been a bit crap, which led to some scrappy football. Again that's fine for people who go anyway, but it won't do much to win back those who stopped going because of the low level.

Huge 3 pts last night, up the Quakers.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:23 pm

Also the weather last night won't have helped - rain, at times heavy, on and off all day combined with the tin shed being the only available cover if you don't have a seat ticket. Not a problem for the regulars but would put off others.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:32 pm

TFDM wrote:I don't think we were as bad as some people made out last night. There is a difference between a match being entertaining and a team playing poorly. It wasn't brilliant last night and I'm not saying we played superbly but we've played worse than this. Bradford PA looked half decent and organised and on a decent run of form - particularly away from home. This was never going to be easy.

The first half was a bit dull, granted. However we did actually try and play football in spells. Second half was better, we got more width and players got closer to Beck to pick up his pieces. We've hit the post twice, had couple flash across the face of goal and eventually scored a goal after rolling the dice and throwing on extra forwards.

At this stage of the season I'll take this result over entertainment any day of the week.
Utter nonsense.

The game last night was exactly as poor as described.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly