Poole Town Play Off Issue and Darlo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Dan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Poole Town Play Off Issue and Darlo

Post by Darlo_Dan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:25 pm

I know the club does not have to comment on everything, but in this instance it does worry me that the club has not said whether we can compete in the playoffs, especially considering the ground grading criteria which has been published in this thread - it is somewhat unclear.

Hopefully i'm completely wrong, but the silence suggests there may be an issue. If there was no issue, i think the club would already have said so. I find it difficult the believe the club will not have contacted the league over this.

On a positive note, MG does not seem concerned at the moment.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:30 pm

The silence may also be due to the fact that no-one has actually contacted the club.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:10 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
quaker4life wrote:Spen, no offence pal but you would be better served worrying about the Brewery Field which I understand does not yet meet Category B criteria and should you be promoted you will see apparent problems you will face.

Either sack Spenny off and come back to us or stick with them and end your obsession and stop wishing it on us, many thanks.
In fairness to Spen, there are plenty of Spennymoor fans who are hopelessly obsessed with Darlington. They can't help themselves.

They’ve never got over how $p£nn¥moor despite being bankrolled well beyond their means, bottle it every time they come up against Darlington.
We should all be nice to Spen. He is fully qualified at something legal and as such his opinion should be valued. He doesn't have to come on here and slum it with us lesser mortals.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:12 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:The silence may also be due to the fact that no-one has actually contacted the club.
Or perhaps the conversation has taken place with the League and they're waiting for the League response...
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Allan Quatermain wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:The silence may also be due to the fact that no-one has actually contacted the club.
Or perhaps the conversation has taken place with the League and they're waiting for the League response...
This ^

If Poole Town's situation is anything to go by we will find out in the next 2 weeks....

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/ ... fortnight/
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:54 pm

But has anyone on here raising an issue actually e-mailed the club with their worry? If they have, then we'll know if there is an issue or not.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:13 pm

I suspect the club would have said if we couldn't. I don't believe they'll be unaware of it, and if they were aware of it i'm sure some hasty fundraising might have been organised.

At the end of the day, extra seats is something that does need sorting asap. You'd like to think the authorities would be ok that our plan is in place and it seems realistic we would be able to raise the funds to do it.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:28 am

I'm getting more concerned by the issue to be honest - on the one hand I'm thinking things are OK (MG's speech, surely those in charge at the club would have known about this for a while and there has been no call for urgent money, and we do have planning permission for the extra seats), but on the other hand there is a nagging doubt that we don't meet the criteria. Perhaps my main concern is I can't really see a reason for the club to keep quiet if they know we will be OK (there is legitimate doubt - this isn't a ridiculous rumour), but there is a reason for the club to keep quiet if the know we won't be allowed to compete (crowd numbers for the final 2 home games)

Would be awful for a number of reasons to be excluded from the playoffs if we make it. The club will surely be aware of the concerns - I've seen people tweeting some of the directors asking about it, and supports group reps read this MB.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:41 am

The club has made an official statement on the website saying that they are in discussions with the NL and that the NL is making a decision. Was rather hoping there wouldn't be a decision to make and that it would be sorted by this point. I remember this point was brought up in a thread in December and it was pointed out that fundraising would have to happen in the New Year if we were to be eligible for the play-offs (possibly as the wording is ambiguous. Can we use this?) Here's hoping it hasn't happened too late.
Also thinking about it it is a ridiculous rule to enforce because a club is hardly going to spend 40,000 pounds on putting in some temporary seating on the off chance that they get on the play-offs. The deadline is stupid. What if you spent the money then dropped out on the last day? Surely if the club can convince the NL that they can get the seats in place then this is enough. Depends what a stickler for an arbitrary rule they are.
Last edited by Vodka_Vic on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:53 am

Regarding stadium improvements, dont we need to be in the league above to obtain additional grants to help improve the ground, increasing seating capacity etc....a league we cant get into with the way the ground is currently

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:57 am

I'm actually not that bothered. Play offs would have been a bit of fun but as I have said countless times before this season has not at all been about promotion for me.

It is missed revenue which is annoying but that is probably the extent of my care for this. It is nice to compete but it definitely would extend to saying I am 'concerned'.

If anything if we miss out on playoffs on a technicality could be a decent motivation to get funding in for next lot of ground improvement.

Darlo_Dan

Post by Darlo_Dan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:02 am

TinShedDarloFan wrote:Regarding stadium improvements, dont we need to be in the league above to obtain additional grants to help improve the ground, increasing seating capacity etc....a league we cant get into with the way the ground is currently
If this is the case then we have an even bigger problem than the league saying no to the playoffs (which my gut instinct thinks will be the case).

We know the NL are sticklers for the rules and have denied clubs in the past - so why will they be any different for us?

Darlo_Dan

Post by Darlo_Dan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:04 am

lo36789 wrote:I'm actually not that bothered. Play offs would have been a bit of fun but as I have said countless times before this season has not at all been about promotion for me.
I think a lot of people (fans, management and players) will disagree with you there. Why bother competing if you don't what to be promoted?

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:11 am

Allan Quatermain wrote:

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/clu ... l-meadows/

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:18 am

So what happens if you win the league outright? Do you need the seats in place by a certain date in that instance?

What if you are second going into the last game, spend £40k and then win the league on the final day?

What if you think you're home and hosed as champions and then slip up in the last month, lose 6 on the bounce and end up in the playoffs?

What if you're miles out of the playoff picture in the lead up to April but put an amazing run together and everyone above you slips up?

Stupid rule to enforce on several levels.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Spyman on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

offside

Post by offside » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:20 am

Darlo_Dan wrote:
lo36789 wrote:I'm actually not that bothered. Play offs would have been a bit of fun but as I have said countless times before this season has not at all been about promotion for me.
I think a lot of people (fans, management and players) will disagree with you there. Why bother competing if you don't what to be promoted?
That's what i asked northern league clubs all the time

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:26 am

Darlo_Dan wrote:
I for one want to get promoted... Also, if we announced now that we aren't going up there will likely be significant lost revenue for the last few games as attendances will slump...

Wonder if one of the questions being asked is could we use the arena as a one off?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:35 am

Totally agree with Spyman on this one. Ridiculous rule which doesn't support clubs such as ours and makes no financial sense. I guess this will be our line of argument. The NL will no doubt be "Well if you had the ambition then you should have got the 500 seats sorted well before the time". If they don't want to set an awkward precedent then they will,have to enforce the rule. They could of course be a breath of fresh air and say "Yes, on reflection it is a daft rule and we'll change it going forward". Not holding my breath though.

Just one more point. I know that fundraising was done on different models and that we couldn't afford the 500 seats one. Was it, though, pointed out at the time that in order to get in the play-offs we would have to raise enough money for the 500 seats model. I know that I was ready to invest when we reached the ceiling.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:38 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Totally agree with Spyman on this one. Ridiculous rule which doesn't support clubs such as ours and makes no financial sense. I guess this will be our line of argument. The NL will no doubt be "Well if you had the ambition then you should have got the 500 seats sorted well before the time". If they don't want to set an awkward precedent then they will,have to enforce the rule. They could of course be a breath of fresh air and say "Yes, on reflection it is a daft rule and we'll change it going forward". Not holding my breath though.

Just one more point. I know that fundraising was done on different models and that we couldn't afford the 500 seats one. Was it, though, pointed out at the time that in order to get in the play-offs we would have to raise enough money for the 500 seats model. I know that I was ready to invest when we reached the ceiling.
Just searched back through the messageboard & it was actually you that flagged up this seating issue back in October last year. It would be extremely disappointing if the board weren't aware of this regulation at that time and have now left us in a situation where we are at risk of not being eligible for the playoffs/promotion.

Darlo_Dan

Post by Darlo_Dan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:39 am

Reading the ground grading docs, it's all very contradictory

From the FA Ground Grading document (May 2016)
"Promotion and promotion play-offs: To qualify for promotion to the National League by winning the respective NORTH/SOUTH Championship and for the club to participate in the promotion play off matches, the ground must achieve a Category “B” Grading together with 500 seats under cover by 31st March in each season. These seats may be in two stands, with no stand having less than 100 seats."

LINK http://www.thefa.com/-/media/files/pdf/ ... ashx?la=en

From the National League rules document (2016-17 rules)
"Step 2 - Clubs competing at Step 2 must comply fully with the requirements of Grade B. To be considered for promotion to Step 1 or to be included in the Play Off Matches, Clubs must meet the requirements of Grade B together with any additional requirements by 31st March in the year in which they seek promotion. Clubs must also attain Grade A by 31st March in the year following promotion"

LINK: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=uk

So which one is it?
Last edited by Darlo_Dan on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:41 am

Why have a ground grading that allows you to play in a league but not in all the games in that league? If you need 500 seats under cover in no more than 2 stands to be promoted or play in the play offs then why isn't that the minimum requirement for this league, end of?
Last edited by loan_star on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:43 am

That statement doesn't sound all that encouraging. Here's hoping the authorities see sense.

Also, i'm pretty sure Salfords stadium isn't up to spec yet either. You could end up with a really farcical playoff if you have to kick out two teams from competing. I don't see how it should be a different rule for the playoff anyway. It's still in *this* league. As long as plans are in place to achieve the grading for the league above (in question for us i guess, as other than an additional 300 seats we haven't seen any more, and i don't know if that's enough?).

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:44 am

Darlo_Dan wrote:Reading the ground grading docs, it's all very contradictory

"Promotion and promotion play-offs: To qualify for promotion to the National League by winning the respective NORTH/SOUTH Championship and for the club to participate in the promotion play off matches, the ground must achieve a Category “B” Grading together with 500 seats under cover by 31st March in each season. These seats may be in two stands, with no stand having less than 100 seats."

"Step 2 - Clubs competing at Step 2 must comply fully with the requirements of Grade B. To be considered for promotion to Step 1 or to be included in the Play Off Matches, Clubs must meet the requirements of Grade B together with any additional requirements by 31st March in the year in which they seek promotion. Clubs must also attain Grade A by 31st March in the year following promotion"

So which one is it?
Doesn't seem contradictory to me. The ground has to be Grade B with 500 seats by the end of the March if you wish to be considered for promotion or be considered for the play-offs.

Darlo_Dan

Post by Darlo_Dan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:46 am

Yarblockos wrote:

So which one is it?
Doesn't seem contradictory to me. The ground has to be Grade B with 500 seats by the end of the March if you wish to be considered for promotion or be considered for the play-offs.
Read it carefully. The conference rules say must achieve Grade A in the year following promotion.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:49 am

Darlo_Dan wrote:Read it carefully. The conference rules say must achieve Grade A in the year following promotion.
Category B grading IS 500 seats, not 250! You can retain your position in Step 2 if you have 250 seats, but you can't compete in the playoffs. Nothing confusing here. The board have fucked up.

Darlo_Dan

Post by Darlo_Dan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:51 am

Indeed we are then fucked.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:51 am

Robbie, I wish I'd e-mailed the club now at the time, but then you assume that if a supporter is aware then the board will be aware so you don't want to appear patronising.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:52 am

Surely when the ground was inspected by FA and/or NL prior to moving in December the matter of extra seats for the play offs would have been raised then and if not why not?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:54 am

Darlo_Dan wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:

So which one is it?
Read it carefully. The conference rules say must achieve Grade A in the year following promotion.

Absolutely no contradiction and it is very clear.

The National League rules state ( from your post)
"To be considered for promotion to Step 1 or to be included in the Play Off Matches, Clubs must meet the requirements of Grade B together with any additional requirements by 31st March in the year in which they seek promotion."

Firstly, ground must be up to Grade B - which we can all assume BM meets.

Secondly, the ground must meet any additional requirements (namely to have 500 seats) by 31 March in the year in which they seek promotion ( ie by 31 March 2017

If these requirements are met and Darlington win promotion, then by 31 March 2018, BM must meet Grade A standard

I suspect the problem is because the additional seats requirements is only for promotion from this level and not anywhere else in pyramid, where it is normally by the March after promotion
Last edited by spen666 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlo_Dan

Post by Darlo_Dan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:56 am

I thought it was 250 seats for Cat B?