Feethams Land Money

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Q8Quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Feethams Land Money

Post by Q8Quaker » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:50 am

We all know the sorry saga of Feethams but what happened to the money from the land sale?

As far as I was aware, the covenant on Feethams, stating it had to be used 'for sporting purposes' was transferred to the land the Arena now sits on which allowed the sale of the old football ground. This was overseen by the trustees (members of DCC, DBC and I think, the towns MP) and the money raised by the sale (several millions) was placed in a trust to be used by the people of Darlington 'for sporting purposes', as per the terms of the original covenant.

Does anybody know if that money is available as loans / grants etc that we could potentially tap into for upgrades to BM?

BUSHEAD

Re: Feethams Land Money

Post by BUSHEAD » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:00 am

The cricket club have the money.
End of discussion.
Think before posting

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:01 am

I don't think the covenant was transferred from one ground to another.

As part of the purchase the developers needed to pay £250k into a 106 fund which was to be used to pay for extra play areas around the town, in return for using the land for housing.

It seems to be that local councils are responsible for managing and allocating those funds.

Here's how another council does it - I couldn't quickly find anything similar being run by DBC, but I'm in no way pointing a finger there... I only searched for about 10 seconds.

https://www.dorsetforyou.gov.uk/article ... grant-fund

The information at the above link is useful in that it gives you an idea about what kind of schemes are eligible and which aren't. I think it's generally aimed at funding projects which serve public communities.

It may be that some of that money was already used in relation to the development of BM?
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:16 am

BUSHEAD wrote:The cricket club have the money.
End of discussion.
I clearly remember reading a (DCC Chairman) Brian Johnson quote in the Echo where he made a kind of "Yeahhh... SURE I will" promise to consider investing part of the money raised from the land sale into community projects, but it was never going to be invested in anything which didn't provide some sort of benefit to strengthening the support for cricket in the town...

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1 ... le/?ref=mr

Fully agree - end of discussion regarding the cricket club.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:25 am

There was a condition in the Arena planning permission about having to play professional football there, but like other conditions (e.g. Statue/Bus coordinator) the paperwork disappeared from the insecure planning paper archive. There was no mention of any link to the Feethams shennanigans.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:39 am

Q8Quaker wrote:Does anybody know if that money is available as loans / grants etc that we could potentially tap into for upgrades to BM?
Shaun Campbell is the man to ask about this. He was at the last evening home game, if you see him - ask him, he is amiable.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:40 am

I always wondered why no action was ever taken against the cricket club in regard to the covenant.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:51 am

Neil Johnson wrote:There was a condition in the Arena planning permission about having to play professional football there
Neil that sounds like a very poor rumour. You cannot mandate a level of football to be played on a piece of land - what if the incumbent club were naturally relegated below professional level.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:19 am

Beano wrote:I always wondered why no action was ever taken against the cricket club in regard to the covenant.
Probably because Johnson has it all sown up and watertight in the cricket clubs favour now. Any challenge should have been years ago.
There will have been a meeting and if no objections were raised then he would have had free reign to reword the trust documents.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:20 am

Rugby football?!

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:29 am

It's all water under Polam Lane bridge now.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:01 pm

loan_star wrote:
Beano wrote:I always wondered why no action was ever taken against the cricket club in regard to the covenant.
Probably because Johnson has it all sown up and watertight in the cricket clubs favour now. Any challenge should have been years ago.
There will have been a meeting and if no objections were raised then he would have had free reign to reword the trust documents.
That makes total sense.

A real shame, but as you've said, too late now.