Team strengthening for next season

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

spen666
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Team strengthening for next season

Post by spen666 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:02 am

DarloDave40 wrote:
shadwellman wrote:We need to get back to the Arena and reclaim this stadium asap!!
Mowden didn't want us but with a new chairman they may now. It would certainly solve the seating problem and no request for further funding.
If club left VM all the FSIF grants would immediately become repayable to the FSIF, so immediately a £150-250k debt is incurred.

As i said before look at Newcastle Blue Star and the reason they went out of existence. They left the Wheatsheaf Ground for Kingston Park and found they had to repay all the grant they had previously received. It put them out of business

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:03 am

al_quaker wrote:
Spyman wrote: Of course - it'll be frustrating if we finish top 5 and can't give it a go, but there's a decent chance either way that we'd still be playing in the Conference North next season, which all the players knew when they joined us.

For most, as long as we're in a position to progress next season, I'd hope they'd stay.
All very true, and I hope you're right. To be honest, the type of character MG is, and the type of characters he likes in his teams, it wouldn't surprise me if there's a huge positive reaction next season. But it also wouldn't surprise me if they're so annoyed with the club that they go elsewhere. A quick start to fundraising could be key.
Maybe a couple of high post/pre season friendlies against higher class opposition may help?
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:26 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:If we just drift along next season, then crowds will drift away.
At some point, in some division, we will reach the point where 'drifting along' is all we are capable of without either a significant financial windfall or significant luck.

In fact it's what Darlington FC has done for most of its 134 year history.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:49 am

Despite remaining in and around the play off places, the floaters haven't really turned up in weeks, so I wouldn't worry about a season of consolidation on the pitch putting them off. It seems to me the ground is not to their liking, so concentrating on the infrastructure will be more beneficial long term.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:58 am

lo36789 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:If we just drift along next season, then crowds will drift away.
Are you seriously suggesting that we cannot sustain a crowd unless we are challenging for promotion?

If that is the case we might as well give up now. I guarantee there will be a point where survival in a division will be success for us over promotion.
Crowds would go down, if we weren't doing well in whatever league we are in.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:13 am

Mentioning the arena is laughable. There is only one option and that's the one we've taken and IMO had to take

The crowd situation isn't like it was 20-25 years ago. Sky and BT have made it easy for armchair fans to exist. 2/3 games on a saturday, with Jeff and the boys along with 3/4 games on a sunday. Coupled with the weather, it makes it so easy to stay at home

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:48 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Are you seriously suggesting that we cannot sustain a crowd unless we are challenging for promotion?

If that is the case we might as well give up now. I guarantee there will be a point where survival in a division will be success for us over promotion.
Crowds would go down, if we weren't doing well in whatever league we are in.
Perpetually?