Best ever Darlo players (Northern Echo)

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

bga
Team Supported: Darlington

Best ever Darlo players (Northern Echo)

Post by bga » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:36 pm

In the interests of balance is anyone interested in the Echo poll in Saturday's paper? (Closing date 7th April) Or is it easier, and more fun, to all have our all time worst ever players discussed on here!
Am pretty sure we have discussed certain all time greats in certain positions before, but not sure we have covered a Dream Team before, apologies if we have. Formation is 4 3 3.
I'll start with mine, which will probably give my age away, so here goes and I'll put my helmet on now!

Tony Moor

Craig Liddle
John Peverell
Kevan Smith
Ron Greener

Alan Sproates
Les O'Neill
Neil Wainwright

Alan Walsh
Byran Conlon
Colin Sinclair

Geordie Quaker

Re: Best ever Darlo players (Northern Echo)

Post by Geordie Quaker » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:56 pm

There was some good discussion on Twitter about this over the weekend (it's a social media platform, bga :D ).

One thing it did do for me was confirm something I always thought - that we have never been blessed with great midfielders. I have been watching since the early 90's and, compared to defenders like Liddle and forwards like Gabbiadini, we have often been lacking in midfield.

I see you missed out your choice of manager there (he says, deliberately stirring the age-old 'was Hodgson actually a good manager' debate)....

divas

Post by divas » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:57 pm

Hodgson was a great man manager.

eddiegrundy

Post by eddiegrundy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:09 pm

The problem with these things is that although it's all time eleven and manager the vast majority of the votes will be for recent people. Only a small proportion of the current support saw anyone before the 90s. Naturally they will vote for people they know.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:19 pm

Geordie Quaker wrote:There was some good discussion on Twitter about this over the weekend (it's a social media platform, bga :D ).

One thing it did do for me was confirm something I always thought - that we have never been blessed with great midfielders. I have been watching since the early 90's and, compared to defenders like Liddle and forwards like Gabbiadini, we have often been lacking in midfield.

I see you missed out your choice of manager there (he says, deliberately stirring the age-old 'was Hodgson actually a good manager' debate)....
s*** I have finally been "outed" as I don't use Twitter! I went for Knowles as Manager, Hodgson a close second for me.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:48 pm

I thought that looking through the list. Defenders, forwards and keepers we've had lots that stood out. As someone who has followed since the late 90s, certainly less midfielders stand out to me.

Gray, Kennedy, Turnbull probably, relatively speaking. Problem is, the first two were with us quite a short time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Kentquaker

Post by Kentquaker » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:17 pm

John Burridge
Clive Nattrass
John Stone
Frank Grey
Alan Sproates
Dennis Wann
Barry Lyons
Alan Walsh
Panel Abbott
Marco Gabbiadini
Lloyd Maitland
Probably a very unbalanced side with two old fashioned wingers but some fantastic players from the last forty years

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:27 pm

Kentquaker wrote:John Burridge

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Think before posting

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:40 pm

Kentquaker wrote:John Burridge
Clive Nattrass
John Stone
Frank Grey
Alan Sproates
Dennis Wann
Barry Lyons
Alan Walsh
Panel Abbott
Marco Gabbiadini
Lloyd Maitland
Probably a very unbalanced side with two old fashioned wingers but some fantastic players from the last forty years
Why put a shite keeper in a good side?

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:11 pm

The Darlo uncovered team asked that on many occasions when a certain D. Robinson appeared in sticks

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:37 pm

I remember Burridge at Chester having a laugh with the crowd. Didn't Nick keep goal for Uncovered for a while. I used to speak to him at games all over the place but haven't seen him for years. He traveled everywhere.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:33 pm

Yes the midfield rank, particularly central, is pretty mediocre. For me Andy toman and the much under-rated Clark keltie are the obvious stand outs. Robbie Blake was pure class like David Currie.

These surveys do favour recent players. It is also uncertain whether you are voting for players who were specifically brilliant at darlo or who went onto make a great career elsewhere. I think Blake accumulated more transfer fees than any player in darlo history.

My list of players who I enjoyed watching

Kaspar schmeichel
Dan burn
Simon shaw
Sean gregan
Matty Appleby

Andy toman
Clark keltie
Gary bannister

David currie
Robbie Blake
Peter duffield

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:07 am

I mentioned Burridge in the worst player thread!!! He once let on a goal I think direct from a corner without him even being challenged, right in front of the tinshed.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:29 am

princes town wrote: the much under-rated Clark keltie

WTF

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Under rated ???

Biggest show pony going .
Think before posting

bga

Post by bga » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:36 am

princes town wrote:Yes the midfield rank, particularly central, is pretty mediocre. For me Andy toman and the much under-rated Clark keltie are the obvious stand outs. Robbie Blake was pure class like David Currie.

These surveys do favour recent players. It is also uncertain whether you are voting for players who were specifically brilliant at darlo or who went onto make a great career elsewhere. I think Blake accumulated more transfer fees than any player in darlo history.

My list of players who I enjoyed watching

Kaspar schmeichel
Dan burn
Simon shaw
Sean gregan
Matty Appleby

Andy toman
Clark keltie
Gary bannister

David currie
Robbie Blake
Peter duffield
If you blinked you missed Schmeichel's Darlo career!

windyforce4

Post by windyforce4 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:42 am

Best midfield player for me was Gary Bannister total class for our level.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:09 am

Shout for MBW as midfielder. In fact that trio of Verma, Smith & MBW were pretty decent. Was a shame Gary Smith's career ended prematurely just as he was starting to show some form

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:29 am

divas wrote:Shout for MBW as midfielder. In fact that trio of Verma, Smith & MBW were pretty decent. Was a shame Gary Smith's career ended prematurely just as he was starting to show some form
And Paul Terry.

That diamond midfield was a good unit.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

DL5

Post by DL5 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:46 am

No mention of Foster :o

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:36 am

Maddison and Hignett were very good midfielders for us just in the twilight of their careers. Atkinson gave us a pretty good shift for the time he was with us.

I think the challenge is the time they were with us. Neil Heaney and Martin Smith were both quality left midfielders.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:47 am

Actually I'd probably have Neil Maddison in my midfield.

DC

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:55 am

Darlobaz79 wrote:The Darlo uncovered team asked that on many occasions when a certain D. Robinson appeared in sticks
:thumbup:

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Any best-ever Darlo side HAS to have Gabbas and Walshy in it. And probably David Currie as well. Oh yes, let's not forget Robbie Blake.

What the hell - let's play 4 up front and work on the basis that we'll score more goals than we let in.

Oh, wait, isn't that ............no, let's not go there :)

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:53 pm

Based on my time watching Darlo, and relative to level played at, I'd go for:

Collett

Liddle
Foster
Brown
Heckingbottom

Turnbull
Maddison
Bridge-Wilkinson

Thompson
Abbott
Gabbiadini

DC

bga

Post by bga » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:08 pm

Spyman wrote:Based on my time watching Darlo, and relative to level played at, I'd go for:

Collett

Liddle
Foster
Brown
Heckingbottom

Turnbull
Maddison
Bridge-Wilkinson

Thompson
Abbott
Gabbiadini
What no Walshy? I went for him as he was not just a goalscorer but also a provider............Oh bit like you choosing Thomo I guess!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:12 pm

Am I alone in my appreciation of one David Robert Speedie? Scottish forward who played most notably for Chelsea, Liverpool and Blackburn Rovers. He accumulated more than 500 football league appearances and scored almost 150 goals in a 14-year professional career. He also earned ten international caps for Scotland. He came to us from Barnsley with a poor reputation and fiery temper which he was helped to sort out and moved after 2 great years at Feethams to Chelsea. Kenny Dalglish who was no mean judge of a footballer paid £750k to bring him to Liverpool - so perhaps I am only alone in remembering him in a Darlo shirt?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:33 pm

bga wrote:
Spyman wrote:Based on my time watching Darlo, and relative to level played at, I'd go for:

Collett

Liddle
Foster
Brown
Heckingbottom

Turnbull
Maddison
Bridge-Wilkinson

Thompson
Abbott
Gabbiadini
What no Walshy? I went for him as he was not just a goalscorer but also a provider............Oh bit like you choosing Thomo I guess!
Before my time.

DC

bga

Post by bga » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:34 pm

jjljks wrote:Am I alone in my appreciation of one David Robert Speedie? Scottish forward who played most notably for Chelsea, Liverpool and Blackburn Rovers. He accumulated more than 500 football league appearances and scored almost 150 goals in a 14-year professional career. He also earned ten international caps for Scotland. He came to us from Barnsley with a poor reputation and fiery temper which he was helped to sort out and moved after 2 great years at Feethams to Chelsea. Kenny Dalglish who was no mean judge of a footballer paid £750k to bring him to Liverpool - so perhaps I am only alone in remembering him in a Darlo shirt?
As Princess Town says (see above) depends whether you select the Eleven based on their time at Darlo, as I tried to do, or what they went on to achieve. Don't disagree with you about Speedie, but I guess on that basis you can include Pallister as well! Maybe we helped Speedie kick on with his career, and perhaps in a different way we did with Pallister as well?

bga

Post by bga » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:34 pm

Spyman wrote:
bga wrote:

Collett

Liddle
Foster
Brown
Heckingbottom

Turnbull
Maddison
Bridge-Wilkinson

Thompson
Abbott
Gabbiadini
Before my time.
Fair point!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:46 pm

Speedie was on the echo site.

I can only really talk about my period of watching Darlington which was really from 97/98ish when the players got change in the orange portacabins. I still remember when Tutill and Liddle joined.

Collett
Liddle
Foster
De Vos
Heckingbottom
Wainwright
Kennedy
Maddison
Smith
Abbott
Gabbiadini