The £85000

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

feethamsflyer
Team Supported: Darlington

The £85000

Post by feethamsflyer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:30 pm

Is the £85000 reduction in the playing budget needed because we can't afford the players or can't afford the manager?

Emdubya

Re: The £85000

Post by Emdubya » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:41 pm

Think the clue there is"playing budget ".

bga

Post by bga » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:28 pm

Emdubya wrote:Think the clue there is"playing budget ".
The following may confuse rather than clarify! From the accounts Playing staff costs were £176,755 and Signing on fees £24,000 for year ended 30th June 2016 (£146,992 and £14,319 respectively for 2015). You would assume the Playing staff costs (plus we must have paid more Signing on fees) were increased for this current season, but even so £85,000 seems a big percentage cut, though I accept we should only spend what we can afford.
There was also a cost of £72,068 (£76,618) for Other staff which I always assumed was the Management team but I may be wrong.
Finally in the same part of the accounts there is also a heading "Purchases" which we have discussed on here previously (probably under 2016 Accounts topic) and did not seem to resolve whether this was possibly Transfer fees paid to other clubs.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:43 pm

If we raise the 80k which is just short of 15k currently with 96 days to go then the budget won't reduce.

Also it can be paid weekly you don't have to hand it over in one go.

So as long as it's supported we have no budget reduction.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:43 am

I will be donating today, vital we give Martin a good chance of competing again next season and hit the ground running.Next season could be massive with a couple of more quality signings and the ground being further developed so we can all focus on football matters....will be a nice change,glass half full time.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

TDS

Post by TDS » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:06 am

It is up to the fans whether we can afford Martin Gray. Whatever is said, we have a base cost and those get paid regardless of whether we are relegated or not. Then we have a playing budget which for me we need to stop overspending on, it puts us in the "unsustainable" category and relies on loans, donations and cash calls every year. We are far from stable.

However, as has been said, if the fans pledge to put in a couple of quid a week en masse, and match Martin's ambition then he can go and spend that money with no guarantees of going up with such big teams in the league already. What we don't need is stagnation REGARDLESS of budget, a finish outside the playoffs next season would really start to grate on some who are actively funding an expensive budget and paying their ticket money, 50/50 etc, and even more so if there are rumours of us paying for players.

We are ultimately in control, but whether Martin likes it or not, money doesn't always guarantee success.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:41 am

I was undecided if I was going to purchase a season ticket for this season. Due to health problems I would not be using said ticket but looked on it's purchase as doing my bit for the cause.
Of the £125.00 20% would have gone to HM gov instead I have donated a sum that all goes into the kitty to help the good ship Darlo. And it comes out of my bank monthly. I'm not an exile just a darlo fan who lives in Norwich...so any exiles who want to do their bit this is the way ahead.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:52 am

TDS wrote:It is up to the fans whether we can afford Martin Gray. Whatever is said, we have a base cost and those get paid regardless of whether we are relegated or not. Then we have a playing budget which for me we need to stop overspending on, it puts us in the "unsustainable" category and relies on loans, donations and cash calls every year. We are far from stable.

However, as has been said, if the fans pledge to put in a couple of quid a week en masse, and match Martin's ambition then he can go and spend that money with no guarantees of going up with such big teams in the league already. What we don't need is stagnation REGARDLESS of budget, a finish outside the playoffs next season would really start to grate on some who are actively funding an expensive budget and paying their ticket money, 50/50 etc, and even more so if there are rumours of us paying for players.

We are ultimately in control, but whether Martin likes it or not, money doesn't always guarantee success.
Just a question on this (bold) part. I don't think it has ever been confirmed that MG has over spent on his playing budget. In fact, I think on most occasions the budget overspend has come from has either come from higher non football operating costs, or higher than budgeted for one off non recurring payments. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong. But I agree we do need to be better at budgeting. I would also be tempted to further incentivise MG with a promise of 50% of Cup money (after cost) going into the playing budget.

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:56 am

If we take an 85k cut in playing budget it hardly seems worth raising the 150k for the seats as I can't see how we could compete, so we really need to try and plug that shortfall

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:00 am

norwich darlo wrote:I was undecided if I was going to purchase a season ticket for this season. Due to health problems I would not be using said ticket but looked on it's purchase as doing my bit for the cause.
Of the £125.00 20% would have gone to HM gov instead I have donated a sum that all goes into the kitty to help the good ship Darlo. And it comes out of my bank monthly. I'm not an exile just a darlo fan who lives in Norwich...so any exiles who want to do their bit this is the way ahead.
Good post an info. I'm about to do the same today. London based now and couldn't decide over a donation or a season ticket. But this makes much more sense.

P.s can I directly accredit my donation to keeping Mark Beck at the club? Please stay Beck!

TDS

Post by TDS » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:03 am

JE93 wrote:
TDS wrote:It is up to the fans whether we can afford Martin Gray. Whatever is said, we have a base cost and those get paid regardless of whether we are relegated or not. Then we have a playing budget which for me we need to stop overspending on, it puts us in the "unsustainable" category and relies on loans, donations and cash calls every year. We are far from stable.

Just a question on this (bold) part. I don't think it has ever been confirmed that MG has over spent on his playing budget. In fact, I think on most occasions the budget overspend has come from has either come from higher non football operating costs, or higher than budgeted for one off non recurring payments. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong. But I agree we do need to be better at budgeting. I would also be tempted to further incentivise MG with a promise of 50% of Cup money (after cost) going into the playing budget.
The overspend is relating to infrastructure, and the move back to Darlo which was necessary. However what we weren't ready for was promotion, yet we have funded a team good enough to give it a go.

Now, to grow, we need work to happen to the stadium, the experience for stay away fans needs to improve, and this is before we spend above our means on players IMO. Many fans will disagree but we have spent money on players in the past 3 years, why? We've made losses. Finally this year for the first time we've said "enough is enough, the playing budget is cut" and MG has gone and found some private investment.

Yes, remove the non-football costs as you suggest and we can afford a decent budget, which has to be the long term aim, we just need a season of very limited investment off the field, which hasn't happened in our 5 years, we have always had large sums of money to pay, whether it's historic debt, seating, architects plans etc etc. Martin Gray can't lose a year for some reason and we need to make sure his ambition doesn't put us too far too fast.

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:13 am

With regards to the 500 club membership. Is it not possible to keep offering a 1 year extension at early bird prices which keeps income up?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:35 am

shawry wrote:With regards to the 500 club membership. Is it not possible to keep offering a 1 year extension at early bird prices which keeps income up?

I'd assume that's definitely possible, but whether it is in our best interest long term is another question.

If we can plug the gap for the remaining few years then we'll be back on a 'true' footing.

As for your comment on plugging the budget gap before worrying about raising the £150k for the stand, surely we're better getting the stand in place before worrying about having a squad that can compete for promotion?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:21 am

Spyman wrote:
shawry wrote:With regards to the 500 club membership. Is it not possible to keep offering a 1 year extension at early bird prices which keeps income up?

I'd assume that's definitely possible, but whether it is in our best interest long term is another question.

If we can plug the gap for the remaining few years then we'll be back on a 'true' footing.

As for your comment on plugging the budget gap before worrying about raising the £150k for the stand, surely we're better getting the stand in place before worrying about having a squad that can compete for promotion?
The 500 club shouldn't be a bad thing from what I can see, though admit I might be missing something.

With regards to plugging the budget gap. I didn't actually mean that as I have always been against us running at a loss, for me it defeats the point of being fan owned.

I more meant we wouldn't need to rush the seats, and could focus on long term development of the ground rather than rushing to raise cash to build seats that may need moving/demolishing later. Get a fully fledged plan to upgrade to FL status and work on that.q

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:50 pm

Nearly £15,000 from 40 people now. That is an average of £375 per annum per investor.

I can only speak for myself but I only rounded up my £2 pcm DFCSG membership with an £8 pcm donation...

Can't help but think someone has committed an awful lot!