Budget for next season

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Alfie
Team Supported: Darlington

Budget for next season

Post by Alfie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:11 am

By this stage of the season a club must have a pretty close to finalised playing and general budget for the following season - maybe a few alternatives if promotion/relegation is a possibility. The manager would need to know by now what his scope for maintaining/enhancing/reducing his squad for next season so he was in a position to get on with things during the summer.

From what I heard last night Gray would, shall we say, be unhappy with a budget that was consistent with our current financial situation, with implications for his future and coaching and playing staff and his (or anyone else's) ability to challenge for promotion next season or even maintain our position in NL North.

Even if there are genuine investors out there as I understand the current ownership structure of the club it would require approval of the members of the DFCSG to allow new investors to take a majority share in the club. This would take some time to organise - votes/EGM whatever is necessary - with no guarantee it would be approved.

So is the only budget that can be set for next season one which assumes the status quo (with even a reduction to prevent further losses) - and how would MG react to this.

Maurice_Peddelty

Re: Budget for next season

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:29 am

Alfie wrote:By this stage of the season a club must have a pretty close to finalised playing and general budget for the following season - maybe a few alternatives if promotion/relegation is a possibility. The manager would need to know by now what his scope for maintaining/enhancing/reducing his squad for next season so he was in a position to get on with things during the summer.

From what I heard last night Gray would, shall we say, be unhappy with a budget that was consistent with our current financial situation, with implications for his future and coaching and playing staff and his (or anyone else's) ability to challenge for promotion next season or even maintain our position in NL North.

Even if there are genuine investors out there as I understand the current ownership structure of the club it would require approval of the members of the DFCSG to allow new investors to take a majority share in the club. This would take some time to organise - votes/EGM whatever is necessary - with no guarantee it would be approved.

So is the only budget that can be set for next season one which assumes the status quo (with even a reduction to prevent further losses) - and how would MG react to this.
If the potential investors are so confident that what they to have to offer would be accepted by the DFCSG membership, they could bridge the gap by signing up to the 'Boost the Budget' initiative.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:37 am

Last night has thrown up more questions than answers and I'm sure that current players want to know where they stand and if they will be offered new contracts. Does anybody know who is contracted to the club beyond this season and who's contracts are up at the end of the season?

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:07 am

As far as I'm aware this is the current contract status at the club..

Out of contract in the summer:
Jameson
Burgess
Portas
Cartman

Contracted:
Gillies
Wilczynski
Bartlett
Syres
Hunter
Marrs
Brown
Galbraith
Scott
Thompson
Wearmouth
Saunders

Unsure:
Turnbull
Beck
Ferguson
Falkingham

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:37 am

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Alfie wrote:By this stage of the season a club must have a pretty close to finalised playing and general budget for the following season - maybe a few alternatives if promotion/relegation is a possibility. The manager would need to know by now what his scope for maintaining/enhancing/reducing his squad for next season so he was in a position to get on with things during the summer.

If the potential investors are so confident that what they to have to offer would be accepted by the DFCSG membership, they could bridge the gap by signing up to the 'Boost the Budget' initiative.
Exactly this. The announcement made about private investors last night scuppered any chance of meaningful fundraising happening and therefore the plan to get the pitch done and provide extra funds look to be out of the window. I do feel for the DFCSG who put time and effort into readying those.

As is often the case with protracted takeovers when the health of the club is at risk the proposed investors or owners would put cash into the business until such a time when the deal was concluded. If I were the Darlo board I'd be asking them to put in £100K no strings attached now to prove they're serious which would allow the pitch works to commence and give some confidence that the budget didn't have to be cut. It seems totally illogical to me that he'd lose his best players and then rebuild in a few months time when more funds may be available and players have been signed up

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:42 am

Posted on another thread but more relevant here I think........

It would be interesting to see the financial projections / assumptions that have been made for the coming 12 months.MG refers to his budget being cut by £85000 so they must be out there.

Did DFCSG have access and input into them? I think based on the fact directors are leaving we need to be involved in how they were put together as part of the process in deciding ownership.A starting point surely.

There are a few people on here who have had previous experience in budget setting to run the rule over these assumptions and resultant figures.