Blackwell Meadows (another theory)

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Blackwell Meadows (another theory)

Post by poppyfield » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:17 am

Just another thought, what if the investor is also in discussion with the rugby club as regards investment, that would put a whole new perspective on the proposition, it would untie the football clubs hands in what could be done as regards Blackwell Meadows and the promise of much better facilities for the rugby club, and of course the land.
Now that's where investors can make money from rugby/football clubs.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Re: Blackwell Meadows (another theory)

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:22 am

Why not? Brings us back to what this Richard Upshall guy was talking about when he threw a spanner in our plans to move to BM.

jonn

Post by jonn » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:50 pm

Forgive my ignorance but... Who owns the site and all the adjoining land? Is its use restricted to leisure/sport or could it be developed for housing or hotel/other commercial use?

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:26 am

jonn wrote:Forgive my ignorance but... Who owns the site and all the adjoining land? Is its use restricted to leisure/sport or could it be developed for housing or hotel/other commercial use?
I stand to be corrected but seem to recall that the main pitch and its immediate surrounds are owned by the rugby club, and the rest by the council.

I have no idea whether it could be used for other purposes - I suppose if it contributes to the development of the site as a sports hub then maybe something else could be built there. I very much doubt housing would be allowed.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:45 am

I thought most of the land is leased from the council - the Rugby club own the clubhouse and maybe first team pitch.

If someone was after land - why not just buy the Rugby Club. Why wasted £1million per year paying the wages of part-time footballers when you can get control of the land for a club with a zero playing budget.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:29 am

lo36789 wrote:I thought most of the land is leased from the council - the Rugby club own the clubhouse and maybe first team pitch.

If someone was after land - why not just buy the Rugby Club. Why wasted £1million per year paying the wages of part-time footballers when you can get control of the land for a club with a zero playing budget.
Who is paying £1 million for part time footballers....Is that the proposal, I was not at the forum and never heard the MG speech.
Have I missed something or is this another massive over exaggeration?

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:43 am

.... double post
Last edited by Magical Quakers on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:43 am

In one of the previous forums it was put forward that running a full time club would cost £1m per annum.

A quick search brings up that the average League 2 player earns £40k a year. So 18 players on £40k is £720k plus coaches wages and other expenses.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:48 am

Gray started talking about 5 year plans and budgets he would need to compete in L2, so one would assume this potential investor is willing to loan/gift (delete as appropriate) significant sums of money.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:53 am

My opinion wrote:
lo36789 wrote:I thought most of the land is leased from the council - the Rugby club own the clubhouse and maybe first team pitch.

Who is paying £1 million for part time footballers....Is that the proposal, I was not at the forum and never heard the MG speech.
Have I missed something or is this another massive over exaggeration?
MG said 400k for next season (part time), 800k for average National full time team, £1.4m in L2 (I think).

Full time in the National League going for promotion, in addition to costs of players, paying for management & off field staff + all associated costs you might be looking at a spend of £1.5m.

We might turn over 50% to 75% of that (750k to £1m). So an operating loss of 500k - 750k to cover. With infrastructure spending of £150k (plus £150k matched grant from FSIF) on top of that to get to grade A to remain in National League.

As a comparison Chester FC average about 2k attendances, turnover £1m to £1.2m & break even with a part time playing staff.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:03 pm

For all we know the investors may have contacted rugby club as well about a deal