Gray

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, botrash, charlie, uncovered

Post Reply
dickdarlington
Posts: 1472
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Gray

Post by dickdarlington » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:15 pm

So. It looks like we've signed another couple of players. Good ones too by all accounts. Normally I'd be over the moon at such suggestions, but I'm Worried about Mr Gray. Is he actually sticking to the budget he was set? I can't see how. What happens if we don't get a cup run, and come December we're in the s*** financially again.

Will it be his fault? No. He'll start rattling his sabre about how the fan model isn't working again. I'm seriously concerned he isn't focussed on what's right for the club, ahead of what's right for him.

Frankly, his actions at the fans forum were out of order. It is as more of a coup de tat than Ann update on the playing front. Thankfully his support of Singh didn't bear fruit. But now we're building a large, more competitive squad than last season. Our funds can get not reach too far. We can't compete with the budgets of the mega rich and full time.

I expect this will be read with contempt. And maybe I'm being over-dramatic. But The only way our club can survive is by staying in the black. We flirt too close t often to oblivion even now.

The job he's done so far is spectacular. But we need to look 5, 10, 15 years ahead. And being financially secure is the only way to guarantee that.

roadrunner
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:15 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gray

Post by roadrunner » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Keep your hat on Steve mcClaren,s going to put some money in
Last edited by roadrunner on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JamesDarlo
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gray

Post by JamesDarlo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:29 pm

roadrunner wrote:Keep your hat on Steve mclaren,s going to put some money in
^^Serial rumour spreader^^

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5285
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gray

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:04 pm

Gray will have to release players and will be sticking to his budget even though it doesn't seem like it.

In regards to McLaren I wouldn't say Roadrunner is completely making things up.

AndyPark
Posts: 11396
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Gray

Post by AndyPark » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:07 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Gray will have to release players and will be sticking to his budget even though it doesn't seem like it.

In regards to McLaren I wouldn't say Roadrunner is completely making things up.
If rumours are to be believed, he's taken training a few times and spotted coming out of Blackwell Meadows a couple of times too.
18/19 Season:
LDWDLDLWDLLWWWDDDDLLLLWDWWLWDLLDWDLDLLWLLWWWLD

*includes all cup games*

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11645
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gray

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:57 am

Gray has got us to where we are now, we have to believe in what he is doing with our squad. I'm sure the last person who wants to throw everything we have achieved is Gray, keep the faith.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1630
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gray

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:51 am

Totally agree Pete, MG knows what he is doing and we now have a CEO overseeing the finances of the club so with these new signings we have to assume everything is fine behind the scenes.Really like the look of this squad, cannot wait for the season to start TBH and very confident we will at least match where we finished last season.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1445
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gray

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:58 am

Unfortunately we've assumed all was well in the past and it wasn't. I'd like a bit more transparency and assurance that we're sticking to the agreed budget.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4465
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gray

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:15 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:Unfortunately we've assumed all was well in the past and it wasn't. I'd like a bit more transparency and assurance that we're sticking to the agreed budget.
Agree on this. I think some forget how awful our budgeting record has been since 2012.

I think there was only Martin Jesper who managed to run any sort of profit, and even then that was nominal.

Granted we've had extenuating circumstances (paying off legacy debt, needing a new ground etc), but nevertheless, the point we've struggled financially stands.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Undercovered
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 1:35 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gray

Post by Undercovered » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:45 am

Darlogramps wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:Unfortunately we've assumed all was well in the past and it wasn't. I'd like a bit more transparency and assurance that we're sticking to the agreed budget.
Agree on this. I think some forget how awful our budgeting record has been since 2012.

I think there was only Martin Jesper who managed to run any sort of profit, and even then it was down to a one off transfer clause of £50K being used to offset operational losses that would have seen us fold had the cash not come in

Granted we've had extenuating circumstances (paying off legacy debt, needing a new ground etc), but nevertheless, the point we've struggled financially stands.

I've fixed that for you
Image

quaker4life
Posts: 2293
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Gray

Post by quaker4life » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:06 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Gray will have to release players and will be sticking to his budget even though it doesn't seem like it.

In regards to McLaren I wouldn't say Roadrunner is completely making things up.
No, he's just clutching at straws.

McLaren is not a cash pinata we can whack when we please.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1647
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gray

Post by D_F_C » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Gray generally does the same thing every year. He builds a big squad up at the start of the season then lets a few go. It will happen again very soon

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11608
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gray

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:51 pm

D_F_C wrote:Gray generally does the same thing every year. He builds a big squad up at the start of the season then lets a few go. It will happen again very soon
Is that true?

Mitchell left fairly early on last season, as well as Purewal, Nowakowski and Hardy as the season went on - but we brought in two goalkeepers, Ferguson, Falkingham and Syers as the season progressed - so must have finished the season with a bigger squad than we began with unless I'm forgetting someone.

I can't remember a season where we have significantly reduced the squad as the season has gone one. Yes we've chopped and changed a bit as better players have become available - but I don't remember these big squads being built up and then reduced.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

User avatar
JamesDarlo
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gray

Post by JamesDarlo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:54 pm

Spyman wrote:
D_F_C wrote:Gray generally does the same thing every year. He builds a big squad up at the start of the season then lets a few go. It will happen again very soon
Is that true?

Mitchell left fairly early on last season, as well as Purewal, Nowakowski and Hardy as the season went on - but we brought in two goalkeepers, Ferguson, Falkingham and Syers as the season progressed - so must have finished the season with a bigger squad than we began with unless I'm forgetting someone.

I can't remember a season where we have significantly reduced the squad as the season has gone one. Yes we've chopped and changed a bit as better players have become available - but I don't remember these big squads being built up and then reduced.
Jordan Watson left us too, Jameson went out on loan towards the end also.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11608
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gray

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:57 pm

JamesDarlo wrote:
Spyman wrote:
D_F_C wrote:Gray generally does the same thing every year. He builds a big squad up at the start of the season then lets a few go. It will happen again very soon
Is that true?

Mitchell left fairly early on last season, as well as Purewal, Nowakowski and Hardy as the season went on - but we brought in two goalkeepers, Ferguson, Falkingham and Syers as the season progressed - so must have finished the season with a bigger squad than we began with unless I'm forgetting someone.

I can't remember a season where we have significantly reduced the squad as the season has gone one. Yes we've chopped and changed a bit as better players have become available - but I don't remember these big squads being built up and then reduced.
Jordan Watson left us too, Jameson went out on loan towards the end also.
Ah yes - forgot Watson.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

polam
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:31 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gray

Post by polam » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:12 pm

Lewis Nightingale as well. A big signing in the close season last year. Looked good warming up at Alty but never got any game time and was shipped out back to Frickley sharpish.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4042
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gray

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:32 pm

We started last season with a squad size of 21, and we have 21 now currently.

I think we whittled it down in Nov / Dec last year selling or loaning out Mitchell, Nightingale, Nowakowski, Purewal, Watson etc. I re-call us bringing in Syers & Falkingham before Christmas, as well as a couple of loanees (Woolston & Davie).

We strengthened after Christmas with Bartlett, Wilczynski & Ferguson, but we let Jameson go out on loan and sold Hardy for a decent fee back to Buxton.

We ended last year with a squad size of 20, including Saunders that wasn't included in the start of last season's figure.

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2657
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gray

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:45 pm

polam wrote:Lewis Nightingale as well. A big signing in the close season last year. Looked good warming up at Alty but never got any game time and was shipped out back to Frickley sharpish.
Farsley???

polam
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:31 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gray

Post by polam » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:54 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
polam wrote:Lewis Nightingale as well. A big signing in the close season last year. Looked good warming up at Alty but never got any game time and was shipped out back to Frickley sharpish.
Farsley???
Whoops - yes Farsley not Frickley

Post Reply