Raj Singh withdraws investment interest

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

loan_star
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Raj Singh withdraws investment interest

Post by loan_star » Thu May 11, 2017 9:00 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Actually, Loid I don't want to know. As Gramps has said, if Raj spits his dummy out over this, however good the plans appeared to be, there would always have been problems down the line.

And Robbo, I stand by my statement that the comments about social media were naive. 'Keyboard warriors' Trolls etc. are unfortunately a part of life that have to be ignored these days. It's just a minor criticism of the statement, and a part that didn't need to be put in as far as I'm concerned. As someone else has pointed out, fans complaining about fans is the last thing we need. Doesn't mean that JT doesn't have my full support.
Was more to do with the sack the board comment made earlier.
Like I said, Raj can't possibly have expected an easy ride? Its an issue thats still raw with the majority of Darlo fans.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu May 11, 2017 9:01 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:I can't get on the Echo website. I've reached my 'Limit'. Can anyone copy and paste it?
Load an incognito page on your web browser.
Sorry Les. You've lost me there.
You can normally complete a non tracked web page (incognito it's know as) Echo works on this if you have ran out of views.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu May 11, 2017 9:04 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:I can't get on the Echo website. I've reached my 'Limit'. Can anyone copy and paste it?
Load an incognito page on your web browser.
Sorry Les. You've lost me there.
You can normally complete a non tracked web page (incognito it's know as) Echo works on this if you have ran out of views.
Just done it in Private mode on my I Pad and it worked ta. I saw his words in all their glory.

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:05 pm

Yarblockos wrote:So it was the fans' fault that Richard Cook resigned and now its the fans' fault that Raj Singh has withdrawn his investment. I'm not sure who put out these club statements but they are getting a bit predictable now.
I think the statement meant that as owners and we now have 1000 owners we should all just think twice before firing off on Twitter etc

Lincolnshire_Quaker

Post by Lincolnshire_Quaker » Thu May 11, 2017 9:09 pm

I can shelve the Twibbon campaign now then. Must be the shortest & most successful on record. There was only me wearing one. I was saving the announcement until after Friday's NetCafe but Raj must have been secretly following me on social media.

https://twibbon.com/support/say-no-to-raj

Very sorry to have high jacked the hopes of anyone who wanted to see him back, LOL
If I were a stick of rock, no prizes for what would be written all the way through .....

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu May 11, 2017 9:16 pm

I think John Tempest and the rest of us are quite in favour of finding some external investment from somewhere, and investment which doesn't affect our current make up, but John more so because he's got a tough job to do and needs some help in the boardroom.

I can understand if he feels disappointed that he's got to do it some more, but I hope the know-nothings in the Echo comments section who don't seem to know the difference between the DFCSG Board and the DFC Board (or which one "should be sacked") don't get to him.

Those of us who took the time to consider joining the DFCSG know full well that John and the other directors on both boards are just fans, like us.

I think we should allow MG some space while we crack on with fundraising and give him some time to go and think about what this club of ours means to the fans who own it, before making any hasty decisions. We've had a great 5 years together - be a shame to end it because of Raj Singh trying to use him.

This could all be forgotten by the time he comes back from holiday.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 11, 2017 9:21 pm

I think it says it all that he's withdrawn his £40k that was supposed to buy him time until his full proposal could be considered.

He realised there was a very real chance he'd put £40k in and get no return. Goes to show he was only ever in this for himself - the £40k had nothing to do with keeping momentum going on the pitch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Lincolnshire_Quaker

Post by Lincolnshire_Quaker » Thu May 11, 2017 9:23 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:I think John Tempest and the rest of us are quite in favour of finding some external investment from somewhere, and investment which doesn't affect our current make up, but John more so because he's got a tough job to do and needs some help in the boardroom.

I can understand if he feels disappointed that he's got to do it some more, but I hope the know-nothings in the Echo comments section who don't seem to know the difference between the DFCSG Board and the DFC Board (or which one "should be sacked") don't get to him.

Those of us who took the time to consider joining the DFCSG know full well that John and the other directors on both boards are just fans, like us.

I think we should allow MG some space while we crack on with fundraising and give him some time to go and think about what this club of ours means to the fans who own it, before making any hasty decisions. We've had a great 5 years together - be a shame to end it because of Raj Singh trying to use him.

This could all be forgotten by the time he comes back from holiday.
Good, solid, reasoned advice Mr_Tibbs. Well said. Hope MG & John read and take all the space necessary. There are bridges to be built now.
Last edited by Lincolnshire_Quaker on Thu May 11, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I were a stick of rock, no prizes for what would be written all the way through .....

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu May 11, 2017 9:25 pm

Just a little part of me wondered if there was another side of the story from 2012 which deserved hearing from Raj. The fact that he's not prepared to overlook some public criticism to put his side makes me convinced that there isn't now. He's lost his chance, not the other way round. The way he's done this makes me relieved that he's pulled out actually. I firmly believe he saw the writing was on the wall regarding needing a 75% vote and he wanted to save face. All he needed to have done tomorrow is to have said' Some of the comments on social media were inappropriate' job done, then put his side.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu May 11, 2017 9:35 pm

I'm absolutely fucking amazed to be honest, as reading this message board it was abundantly clear that Singh had hatched a plan where he was manoeuvring around all of us and Martin Gray to execute a business plan that was going to make him literally gazillions of pounds. As well as taking over the arena and knocking three stands down, he was going to buy Blackwell Grange to harvest overseas talent before selling on for a ginormous profit which he was going to wave in our hungry faces before thrusting us in to liquidation.

And because of that its hard to understand why he'd walk away after a few names on social media. I mean he was going to get to literally liquidate us again as well as making actually several gazillion pounds. How thin skinned!

Actually, I'm joking. A bit.

What's actually happened for the second time in as many months is we've had a lynch mob out to drive people away from the club before they've even had chance to say their piece. Before being able to judge anything, before even being able to send Raj Singh packing. Think how much better that would have looked. Think about the strength that would have given us.

And then in the same breath we say that actually we're open for investors oh and also we'd like to have some more commercial deals because we're a really great brand that your local company would like to be associated with.

If you don't follow Darlo all you've heard this month is 1. we didn't read the rules. 2. the directors resigned because they got abused off the fans, 3. we kicked the other fella out due to online abuse.

I don't like Raj Singh for what he did to us last time but I love the club more, so I found it ok to try and be a bit measured.

I read stuff from what could be perceived as fan's online accounts (save darlo etc) today who were prepared to judge despite the fact the board had invited the opportunity and despite the fact nobody had the foggiest slightest idea what was going to be proposed. It's was embarrassing. They have no mandate to try and represent fan's opinions, especially when there were some that wanted to hear more.

We're going to die from a thousand self inflicted wounds here fellas. We're managing to descend in to the rule of the mob.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu May 11, 2017 9:37 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Just a little part of me wondered if there was another side of the story from 2012 which deserved hearing from Raj. The fact that he's not prepared to overlook some public criticism to put his side makes me convinced that there isn't now. He's lost his chance, not the other way round. The way he's done this makes me relieved that he's pulled out actually. I firmly believe he saw the writing was on the wall regarding needing a 75% vote and he wanted to save face. All he needed to have done tomorrow is to have said' Some of the comments on social media were inappropriate' job done, then put his side.
Or it could be that Martin Gray rang him up and asked him to help and he was never all that sure to start with.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Thu May 11, 2017 9:47 pm

m62exile wrote:I'm absolutely fucking amazed to be honest, as reading this message board it was abundantly clear that Singh had hatched a plan where he was manoeuvring around all of us and Martin Gray to execute a business plan that was going to make him literally gazillions of pounds. As well as taking over the arena and knocking three stands down, he was going to buy Blackwell Grange to harvest overseas talent before selling on for a ginormous profit which he was going to wave in our hungry faces before thrusting us in to liquidation.

And because of that its hard to understand why he'd walk away after a few names on social media. I mean he was going to get to literally liquidate us again as well as making actually several gazillion pounds. How thin skinned!

What's actually happened for the second time in as many months is we've had a lynch mob out to drive people away from the club before they've even had chance to say their piece. Before being able to judge anything, before even being able to send Raj Singh packing. Think how much better that would have looked. Think about the strength that would have given us.

And then in the same breath we say that actually we're open for investors oh and also we'd like to have some more commercial deals because we're a really great brand that your local company would like to be associated with.

If you don't follow Darlo all you've heard this month is 1. we didn't read the rules. 2. the directors resigned because they got abused off the fans, 3. we kicked the other fella out due to online abuse.

I don't like Raj Singh for what he did to us last time but I love the club more, so I found it ok to try and be a bit measured.

I read stuff from what could be perceived as fan's online accounts (save darlo etc) today who were prepared to judge despite the fact the board had invited the opportunity and despite the fact nobody had the foggiest slightest idea what was going to be proposed. It's was embarrassing. They have no mandate to try and represent fan's opinions, especially when there were some that wanted to hear more.

We're going to die from a thousand self inflicted wounds here fellas. We're managing to descend in to the rule of the mob.
The DFC board didn't invite the opportunity. MG brought RS to the board with an investment offer. It was unsolicited.

I always say personal abuse is unacceptable but honestly RS must be living on another planet if he didn't anticipate this reaction.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 11, 2017 9:50 pm

And what of the other mystery investors? Why didn't they show their faces?

If they had chosen to publicly back Singh, and give a hint as to their intentions then undoubtably this would have helped Singh's position.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu May 11, 2017 9:52 pm

m62exile wrote:I'm absolutely fucking amazed to be honest, as reading this message board it was abundantly clear that Singh had hatched a plan where he was manoeuvring around all of us and Martin Gray to execute a business plan that was going to make him literally gazillions of pounds. As well as taking over the arena and knocking three stands down, he was going to buy Blackwell Grange to harvest overseas talent before selling on for a ginormous profit which he was going to wave in our hungry faces before thrusting us in to liquidation.

Raj Singh's involvement was always going to cause grief. The moment he became involved it was going to become poisonous. I've said previously, there could never be a positive resolution to this. One way or another, it was going to end badly, either with the humiliation of accepting Singh's offer, or with Singh rejected and MG's position being in doubt.

Singh has always been sensitive to any sort of criticism. He was the same in 2012 - trawling through messageboards to see what people are saying about him.

Like it or not, people have a forum to express their opinion, via social media, messageboards etc. That can't be changed. A lot of the time, it's opinions we disagree with and dislike (think how many rows I get involved in). You live with it or ignore it.

There was nothing said about Singh that I didn't expect to see, and if Raj expected otherwise, he was extraordinarily naive. Personally, I think the online abuse card is being played too often. It's an easy out. Blame the fans by saying they've been horrible.

And it helps cover other reasons you might want out. Singh will have quickly realised he was never going to be welcomed back, and that's why he'll have pulled out. A multimillionaire businessman doesn't get where he is without pissing some people off, so why would a few angry comments on social media get under his skin?

Right now, we need unity, more than ever. There are more challenges to come, I'm sure of that. Every fan owes it to John Tempest and to Martin Gray - or whoever our manager is, to support them and help build this club up. It's a long road ahead, and we must be united if we're to succeed.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 11, 2017 9:58 pm

m62exile wrote:And then in the same breath we say that actually we're open for investors oh and also we'd like to have some more commercial deals because we're a really great brand that your local company would like to be associated with.

I would imagine we are open to investors/commercial deals, and we are a good brand etc. What has this got to do with understandably rejecting one man. Singh.

Personally I think rejecting Singh will make us look better "brand' .

Money isn't everything!
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 11, 2017 10:00 pm

Darlogramps wrote:There was nothing said about Singh that I didn't expect to see, and if Raj expected otherwise, he was extraordinarily naive. Personally, I think the online abuse card is being played too often. It's an easy out. Blame the fans by saying they've been horrible.

And it helps cover other reasons you might want out. Singh will have quickly realised he was never going to be welcomed back, and that's why he'll have pulled out. A multimillionaire businessman doesn't get where he is without pissing some people off, so why would a few angry comments on social media get under his skin?
:clap:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu May 11, 2017 10:00 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:

The DFC board didn't invite the opportunity. MG brought RS to the board with an investment offer. It was unsolicited.

I always say personal abuse is unacceptable but honestly RS must be living on another planet if he didn't anticipate this reaction.
They had several discussions over two weeks and talks had progressed to a point where they could reveal the investor and provide an opportunity for him to communicate with the fans. We all know that MG solicited it but there'd been enough progress for the board to feel comfortable enough to move forwards.

Singh would never, ever have had a chance of getting approval to take over the club but it would have been in DFC's best interests to at least hear what he was proposing - the board clearly thought so - and definitely not in our interests to create another front page where we've chased another person away through online abuse.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu May 11, 2017 10:01 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
m62exile wrote:And then in the same breath we say that actually we're open for investors oh and also we'd like to have some more commercial deals because we're a really great brand that your local company would like to be associated with.

I would imagine we are open to investors/commercial deals, and we are a good brand etc. What has this got to do with understandably rejecting one man. Singh.

Personally I think rejecting Singh will make us look better "brand' .

Money isn't everything!
I'd agree if we'd had listened to him and democratically rejected his proposals. That would have been actually a brilliant piece of PR

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu May 11, 2017 10:04 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

Raj Singh's involvement was always going to cause grief. The moment he became involved it was going to become poisonous. I've said previously, there could never be a positive resolution to this. One way or another, it was going to end badly, either with the humiliation of accepting Singh's offer, or with Singh rejected and MG's position being in doubt.

Singh has always been sensitive to any sort of criticism. He was the same in 2012 - trawling through messageboards to see what people are saying about him.

Like it or not, people have a forum to express their opinion, via social media, messageboards etc. That can't be changed. A lot of the time, it's opinions we disagree with and dislike (think how many rows I get involved in). You live with it or ignore it.

There was nothing said about Singh that I didn't expect to see, and if Raj expected otherwise, he was extraordinarily naive. Personally, I think the online abuse card is being played too often. It's an easy out. Blame the fans by saying they've been horrible.

Right now, we need unity, more than ever. There are more challenges to come, I'm sure of that. Every fan owes it to John Tempest and to Martin Gray - or whoever our manager is, to support them and help build this club up. It's a long road ahead, and we must be united if we're to succeed.
Actually I quite agree with that, and my beef really is that we're getting a reputation for this mob rule stuff. It would better for the club if we weren't scaring joe public off, regardless of how principled we're each trying to be.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 11, 2017 10:16 pm

m62exile wrote:Actually I quite agree with that, and my beef really is that we're getting a reputation for this mob rule stuff. It would better for the club if we weren't scaring joe public off, regardless of how principled we're each trying to be.
I don't use any other social media so can't comment other than to say that this site has been incredibly important and influential to DFC over the years. Helping to keep the club going and raising money and allowing fans to communicate and share information.

If Singh's offer was so good, why didn't he stick it out until Friday??

Gramp's opinion on this is worth another look.
Darlogramps wrote:There was nothing said about Singh that I didn't expect to see, and if Raj expected otherwise, he was extraordinarily naive. Personally, I think the online abuse card is being played too often. It's an easy out. Blame the fans by saying they've been horrible.

Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu May 11, 2017 10:28 pm

I find it quite hypocritical how we've questioned his professionalism etc stating as a businessman should be able to behave better, or we've questioned the tone and content of our official news and also stated how as fans and owners of our club we deserve to be kept in the loop with important news....however many of us doing that are then posting in a style certainly not befitting an owner.

We need to take responsibility for our own actions and take a breath and ask ourselves how will me posting this affect my club.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu May 11, 2017 11:05 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

Spot on as ever DG.

Ann Budge up here at Hearts FC has loaned that club millions. She will get her money back plus interest, but has done so as a Hearts fan, and her return will be around 5%ish.

She is currently getting pelters for overseeing the club achieving 5th place in the SPL.

But is rebuffing all criticism by reiterating her strategic plan for the club in the face of online criticism a million times stronger than that raj Singh has received from us.

Sorry. But if RS can't take the reaction from darlo fans quite rightly challenging his involvement with us now then he has the heart of a rabbit.

Give me John tempest, cook and all of our volunteers over him every single day of the week.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 11, 2017 11:08 pm

I can't believe that nobody knows the identity of the other investor?

I think RS has taken the best decision in abandoning his bid for the club, as clearly the majority were against his comeback to the club. It's saved the club from going through a very divisive process. There's certainly never a dull moment when following Darlo.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri May 12, 2017 12:20 am

Spyman wrote:Didn't even have the guts to explain himself.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
In the Echo he seemed fairly matter of fact about it all that the voting would not go in his favour. I presume the 2nd investor was part of a partnership with Raj so it was natural that he would go. Deals go on all the time in business so I'm not sure this social media sensitivity is that relevant. My query is why he didn't wait until the netcafe to try and swing opinion rather than scrutinise every social media post.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Fri May 12, 2017 4:02 am

Singh could well have got folk onside after netcafe so pulling out now obviously means theres a wheel off somewhere. It Martin grey spits his dummy out let him go. Can understand him wanting a good budget but the fans own the club not him. I'm sure darlington would get another decent manager

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:14 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I can't believe that nobody knows the identity of the other investor?
I suspect that people did know the identity Pete but if you recall there was an NDA signed about it.

The thing I think you are mixing up this wasn't a second independent investor this was someone coming in "with Raj Singh". My expectation is that it was Singh providing the money having all the 'control' but with an advisor alongside him the "football man". A football man who in all likelihood could have been relieved of his duties at the drop of a hat with all the control over the future of the club then coming from Singh.

Singh has withdrawn because he realised that he could have ended up £40k down and with a non-controlling share to show for it. The level of vote and support from DFCSG members to change the articles, to change the purpose of the DFCSG just would not have ever come.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri May 12, 2017 7:29 am

Well until or if the other investors identity is known, we can't be sure if the other investor was independent or connected with RJ.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Fri May 12, 2017 7:50 am

lo36789 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:I can't believe that nobody knows the identity of the other investor?
I suspect that people did know the identity Pete but if you recall there was an NDA signed about it.

The thing I think you are mixing up this wasn't a second independent investor this was someone coming in "with Raj Singh". My expectation is that it was Singh providing the money having all the 'control' but with an advisor alongside him the "football man". A football man who in all likelihood could have been relieved of his duties at the drop of a hat with all the control over the future of the club then coming from Singh.

Singh has withdrawn because he realised that he could have ended up £40k down and with a non-controlling share to show for it. The level of vote and support from DFCSG members to change the articles, to change the purpose of the DFCSG just would not have ever come.
..or he wasn't actually that bothered in the first place.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:03 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Well until or if the other investors identity is known, we can't be sure if the other investor was independent or connected with RJ.
but he/she came in at the same time as RS, withdrew at the same time as RS and was referenced together as two investors one a football man by Martin Gray.

Come on Pete surely even you can add up two plus two.

The other investor clearly didn't want to be known otherwise an NDA wouldn't have been signed. They clearly wanted to test the "Raj Singh" effect first and found it to be toxic wouldn't a go-er and now moved on without having their name tarnished.

TDS

Post by TDS » Fri May 12, 2017 8:21 am

Raj Singh wanted some time to test the water and explore any opportunities. In my opinion he found 1) there was no money to be made, a lease that ties us into BM, grants that scupper any move and a fortune needed to invest to win the fans over and 2) we don't really like him.

Now what I've seen more than enough of is this "Well Done for not listening to him, idiots, we are now going to end up in the Northern League" tripe. What gives people this impression? If Martin Gray wants to fall on his own sword then he can, nobody forced him to do what he did other than his own uncontrolled ambition. When accepting (a total of 10 year contract, combined) the job did somebody make clear that we are a fan run club, shying away from private money and will be run as such? I fear the Board lost sight of that and gave him too much wiggle room.

One thing we do need is solid, highly qualified board members, paid, if necessary, because you can have the best team in the world on the pitch but if the rules aren't read or the strategic planning is inadequate, then we will continue to hit roadblocks.

We all decided that when the Club nearly went under, we'd turn our back on the traditional benefactor model and work hard for something else, this wasn't a short term promise or an easy way out, but I've enjoyed the last 5 years more than any other and we need to back the Club more than ever.

We've a great season ahead with some big teams and some good local derbies, Gray, Tempest, Galbraith, Beck, all can and will move on in time, but we the fans will be the only constant.