Raj Singh withdraws investment interest

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerz
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Raj Singh withdraws investment interest

Post by Quakerz » Thu May 11, 2017 8:01 pm

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it."

Taken his ball home big style there. How bitter does that sound.

Good timing too, no need to answer any difficult questions tomorrow.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu May 11, 2017 8:05 pm

lo36789 wrote:Lol the other investors have walked away basically they were planning to use Raj's money by my reading of that. Oh well distraction over with back to it now.

The paragraph about social media in the middle of the statement was a bit weird either way it's your move Martin Gray.
The bit about social media is ridiculously naive and shows little understanding of the world in 2017.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu May 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Darlogramps wrote:I don't really see how this could have had a positive ending either way.

If we accepted his offer, it would have been humiliating, poisonous and split the fanbase, as well as causing massive amounts of uncertainty.

If we rejected his offer, we're still left with massive amounts of fundraising and question marks over the future of our coaching team.

It was a horrendous position to be in.
This.

Our own manager called us a laughing stock at the FF, had Singh taken over we would have been a laughing stock

There was already a good proportion of other fans laughing at us just because of the mere thought that we might consider RS coming back.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Thu May 11, 2017 8:07 pm

The comments cracked me up too.

Basically we will now be liquidated immediately and it is all the fault of the board!!

Sack the board!!

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Thu May 11, 2017 8:10 pm

Is MG's position now untenable? He has clearly backed the wrong horse and potentially courted investment behind the backs of some of the board (maybe not all?)

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu May 11, 2017 8:10 pm

Quakerz wrote:“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it."

Where's that quote you have taken from Quakerz?

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Thu May 11, 2017 8:11 pm

Echo article

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu May 11, 2017 8:11 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Quakerz wrote:“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it."

Where's that quote you have taken from Quakerz?
It's on the echo site

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Thu May 11, 2017 8:12 pm

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu May 11, 2017 8:16 pm

I can't get on the Echo website. I've reached my 'Limit'. Can anyone copy and paste it?

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu May 11, 2017 8:18 pm

Quakerz wrote:“it’s their club” [says RS]
Too f’n right it’s our club. You got that bit right, Raj.
Last edited by biccynana on Thu May 11, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu May 11, 2017 8:18 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:I can't get on the Echo website. I've reached my 'Limit'. Can anyone copy and paste it?
Load an incognito page on your web browser.

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Thu May 11, 2017 8:23 pm

I'll bet MG is considering his future. His comments at the FF now look all the more calculated, unpleasant and insulting. This business must have been linked to the MG Academy in some way. He either has to knuckle down with the rest of us or walk away in a huff. I don't think he's come out of this at all well tbh and the DFC/MGA boundary was becoming more and more fuzzy

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu May 11, 2017 8:25 pm

Martin Gray has backed himself into a difficult position, and some inside the club are using social media and news outlets to criticise fans, whilst complaining about fans complaining.

This is going to be a difficult couple of months, isn't it?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu May 11, 2017 8:26 pm

Just read John Tempest's statement about 'The potential impact in public of ill-thought out comments'.
Oh the irony. How about stating in a football club's programme that you don't want any money back that you have put in and then later down the line holding that club to ransom over the money.
How about coming on a radio show and accusing fans of making libellous comments because they said that the Football share would not be handed over, saying you will hand it over the next day, then not doing it.

That part of the statement by John Tempest has actually really annoyed me, for the reasons I have stated above. What goes around comes around. It isn't comments by irate fans on social media that's led to Raj's withdrawal, it's Raj's actions in the first place.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu May 11, 2017 8:26 pm

So it was the fans' fault that Richard Cook resigned and now its the fans' fault that Raj Singh has withdrawn his investment. I'm not sure who put out these club statements but they are getting a bit predictable now.

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Thu May 11, 2017 8:27 pm

Did MG have clearance to approach investors?
Last edited by grimsbyquaker on Thu May 11, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu May 11, 2017 8:28 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:I can't get on the Echo website. I've reached my 'Limit'. Can anyone copy and paste it?
Load an incognito page on your web browser.
Sorry Les. You've lost me there.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu May 11, 2017 8:28 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Better to do it now rather than a long protracted period of uncertainty. I would have still liked to know his side of the story going back to 2012 - this could have answered so many unanswered questions.
Wonder where this leaves Gray.
And better to do it now than in five years time when RS and his pals pull the plug and we’re demoted to the NL again (if we’re lucky enough to survive a second time).

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu May 11, 2017 8:35 pm

In his [RS’s] words “he felt there was unfinished business.”

Which he could have very easily and very satisfactorily settled in 2012.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu May 11, 2017 8:36 pm

Tactical withdrawal? 'The supporters group know where I am if they need my help'.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu May 11, 2017 8:39 pm

I wish we'd had a chance to find out what was involved in this... the facts and not what everyone else speculated may be involved and how it would have worked out. John Tempest, who I trust and respect as someone who only has the best interests of the club at heart, knew the details and obviously felt it was well worth putting before the fans so we could make an informed choice. It's a shame we never got that opportunity.

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Thu May 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Tactical withdrawal? 'The supporters group know where I am if they need my help'.
Yes...very interesting words. Does that mean 'I'll be back in a few months when you're still well short of your next target'?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu May 11, 2017 8:46 pm

Seems like theres now going to be a witch hunt against our only board member judging by some of the comments above.
John Tempest has actually heard what the proposal is and thought it sound enough to put forward to the fans. I can understand him being slightly pissed off about comments from people who don't know the half of it.
On the other hand though, Singh has a nerve being annoyed at comments that were bound to be made after what he had done last time.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Thu May 11, 2017 8:46 pm

from the Echo

RAJ SINGH has tonight withdrawn his offer to invest in Darlington – just 48 hours after his interest in a return became public, blaming online criticism for his u-turn.

Some supporters reacted angrily to the potential return of the club’s former chairman, who had wanted to invest £40,000 into the playing budget in return for 15 per cent of the club’s shares.

Fans were due to vote in a fortnight’s time on the investment, with 75 per cent approval required.

But he told The Northern Echo earlier today: “The fans have already made their mind up. From what I saw yesterday on Facebook and messageboards, their minds are made up.

“I tried to help Martin. He needed a budget there, he’s had a lot of success.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it.

“I wish them all the luck in the world because I don’t want to see it dying.

“It’s fine. It’s the fans’ club, they can keep it and I’ll stay out of the way.

“The Supporters Group know where I am, if they need my help they know where to find me.”

Singh was expected to take part in an online forum on Friday evening to answer supporters’ questions.

The platform was seen as an opportunity for Singh to not only explain his plans, but also give his side of the story from 2012.

He was in charge when Darlington went into administration, and then refused to hand over the club’s football share, which meant a change of name was required.

Fans have clearly not forgotten Singh’s role in Darlington’s demise.

His three-year tenure also saw Darlington relegated from the Football League at the end of the 2009-10 season.

Under Martin Gray they have fought their way back up from the Northern League with three promotions in five seasons to reach the National League North, though the manager believes external investment is required if the club are to progress further.

He had sought involvement of potential investors, something he revealed at a fans’ forum last month, so Singh’s decision now places a question mark over Gray and the backroom staff.

Gray is deeply disappointed that Singh will not be be investing in the club and will consider his future.

A second investor, who Gray had also been speaking to but had not been identified, is now highly unlikely to become involved in the club, certainly not if the manager the leaves.

        6 comments
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu May 11, 2017 8:48 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I wish we'd had a chance to find out what was involved in this... the facts and not what everyone else speculated may be involved and how it would have worked out. John Tempest, who I trust and respect as someone who only has the best interests of the club at heart, knew the details and obviously felt it was well worth putting before the fans so we could make an informed choice. It's a shame we never got that opportunity.
I also would have liked to have heard what he had to say, although I wouldn't have trusted it.

But come on LL, he's just said this as part of his withdrawal - "Everybody knows where that club is going now" Who is everybody? What do they know?

Coming from a man who almost bust us in 3 years, talking about a group of fans who've kept the club going for 5 years...
Last edited by Quakerz on Thu May 11, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lincolnshire_Quaker

Post by Lincolnshire_Quaker » Thu May 11, 2017 8:50 pm

"Gray is deeply disappointed that Singh will not be be investing in the club and will consider his future."
Doesn't take much to read between the lines there. Consider future = resign .. always does. Shame but inevitable. Onwards and upwards.
If I were a stick of rock, no prizes for what would be written all the way through .....

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu May 11, 2017 8:51 pm

Quakerz wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:I wish we'd had a chance to find out what was involved in this... the facts and not what everyone else speculated may be involved and how it would have worked out. John Tempest, who I trust and respect as someone who only has the best interests of the club at heart, knew the details and obviously felt it was well worth putting before the fans so we could make an informed choice. It's a shame we never got that opportunity.
I also would have liked to have heard what he had to say, although I wouldn't have trusted it.

But come on LL, he's just said this as part of his withdrawal - "Everybody knows where that club is going now"

Coming from a man who almost bust us in 3 years, talking about a group of fans who've kept the club going for 5 years...
I honestly think it will go tits up soon. Tempest will probably decide he can't be bothered with the ball ache of being the only director and quit. We don't seem to have any other volunteers to put themselves forward to take on a directors role so who steers the ship then?
We'll end up going cap in hand to anyone with money or the club will die through lack of direction.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu May 11, 2017 8:52 pm

loan_star wrote:Seems like theres now going to be a witch hunt against our only board member judging by some of the comments above.
John Tempest has actually heard what the proposal is and thought it sound enough to put forward to the fans. I can understand him being slightly pissed off about comments from people who don't know the half of it.
On the other hand though, Singh has a nerve being annoyed at comments that were bound to be made after what he had done last time.
Indeed. Let's not hound our last director out. It's not a great statement, but cut the guy a bit of slack. We need to move on - together.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu May 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Actually, Loid I don't want to know. As Gramps has said, if Raj spits his dummy out over this, however good the plans appeared to be, there would always have been problems down the line.

And Robbo, I stand by my statement that the comments about social media were naive. 'Keyboard warriors' Trolls etc. are unfortunately a part of life that have to be ignored these days. It's just a minor criticism of the statement, and a part that didn't need to be put in as far as I'm concerned. As someone else has pointed out, fans complaining about fans is the last thing we need. Doesn't mean that JT doesn't have my full support.