Pitch 2 Seating v Boost the Budget

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

BaronsCourtQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Pitch 2 Seating v Boost the Budget

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon May 15, 2017 1:39 pm

Afternoon folks, now the talk of Singh has died down I’m just looking at my options for sticking some extra funds into the club and I’m a little torn. So thought I’d throw it open and see if anyone can help push me one way or another. Or is it money in both pots.

Seats Pitch : the pro’ here are all about the longer term betterment of the club, if we can hit this then the opportunity to be promoted becomes a reality so sense says the money goes here. The con’s as it’s a longer term vision I’m not sure how I feel about investing in a stadium where we may be for just another 19 years and no guarantees after that.

Boost the budget, clearly a shorter terms goal, fill Martins pockets and lets have another go at promotion, no guarantee of success and likewise with no seats we can’t go up anyway. Also with the boost the budget does anyone know what our average wage is? Doesn’t have to be specific nor do I need to know who the top earners are and what they are on, but in trying to decide how much I put in this I’d like to see how far it goes to covering a players wage. Do I get the satisfaction of knowing that my money has paid for Cartman’s efforts, or the lads end of season blow out in Ibiza ha ha.

Darlo_Pete

Re: Pitch 2 Seating v Boost the Budget

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 15, 2017 1:54 pm

BCQ I'd personally go for the playing budget. If we don't invest sufficiently in the team, then we are probably more likely to lose Gray and his backroom team and there will be no need to have more seating, as we probably won't make the play-offs and crowds will overall decline.

Both the playing budget and new seats are crucial, but the more immediate problem is the budget, which needs to be addressed first.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon May 15, 2017 2:00 pm

If you have enough money, split it between the two.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon May 15, 2017 2:04 pm

A bit of a cop out, but money in both pots would be the ideal situation. They're both important to the future of the club. Remember that the boost the budget can be paid weekly if desired, so it doesn't have to make much of a dent in the bank account today (that can be used for the seats :lol: ). Even a couple of quid a week will soon add up :thumbup:

If it really is one or the other, I would personally go for the seats. It may be that we don't need them this season if the budget is cut, but we will need them at some point in the future. If we don't get the seats built, we can chuck as much money as we want at the players, but it would be pointless as we wouldn't be able to get promoted. Spending 80k extra on players without having the seats to be eligible for promotion would, to me, be a bit silly when that 80k would go a long way towards actually building the seats.

But this is simply my opinion - anyone gifting money to the club has the right to decide which areas are of importance to them.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:15 pm

I think it depends on circumstances. I don't have a lot of money to hand at the moment in bulk so I went boost the budget as it allows regular payments.

For me if I had more cash to hand it would be the seats. It's pointless us having a fantastic squad and finishing in the playoffs or promotion spot next season if we can't get promoted.

Buy the fridge first if you have the money, then you have somewhere to keep your food and you will be better longer term. If you don't have enough outright for the fridge then obviously you need to just buy what you want to eat then and it will keep you surviving for a bit longer.

TDS

Post by TDS » Mon May 15, 2017 2:51 pm

Seats.

I'm not buying into the "we wont get the playoffs with out Gray in charge" argument.

Also, inflating the budget this season is great but what happens next season? The season after? Are we expected to meet a £50-£80k budget shortfall every year?

If we make enough in the boost the budget for Gray to stay, and we get anywhere near the playoffs again but miss the seating deadline, then we'd definitely be a laughing stock.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon May 15, 2017 3:14 pm

Playing devils advocate - If we got the budget up by 80k then the theory we have enough to flirt with the playoffs again. This in turn will make it more likely that people would put something into the seating pot especially as we get closer to each deadline.

However generally I would say both if possible.

The budget one is good but not convinced we will hit the 80k but say we hit 40k then that is a budget reduction of 40k only, also they are ways round of mitigating this at the start of the season.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon May 15, 2017 5:54 pm

I put mine into playing budget,as if/when we need seats I will be able to again put monies into that pot at later date, we need to get a crack at promotion for the seats to be needed next season anyway, that was my theory to put all in playing pot first.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:00 pm

Personally, I feel as though the 'Boost the Budget' scheme is the most pressing at the moment.

What we need is for positive talks to be held between MG & DFCSG this week and for a statement to be released, almost like a rallying call from MG asking the fans to back the scheme so he can strengthen the squad over the summer. I feel like the donations will then flood in.

So far, with all the uncertainty, we've managed to fund over a third of the shortfall with a small amount of our fan-base (122). I feel like it has legs to go much further.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon May 15, 2017 9:48 pm

Sort out the seating first, even strip out what is there now and add in some elevation. Please don't let whoever designed the South stand anywhere near the job. Do it properly and add in some terracing too then bring back our temporary seats from HP for the away fans / segregation as next season there will be a greater need due to the increase in local teams - Spennymoor, Blyth and York.
I don't see the point of spending money on the playing squad if we can't get promotion due to an inadequate facility which doesn't meet the League's requirements. If MG needs cash for a specific target player then let him ask the owners (the DFCSG fans), explain his plans and put it to the vote / poll. We can do this electronically so quite quick & cheaply, provided there is a secure method - no Putin style hacking or voting by botnets! :lol:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 16, 2017 7:35 am

jjljks wrote:Sort out the seating first, even strip out what is there now and add in some elevation. Please don't let whoever designed the South stand anywhere near the job. Do it properly and add in some terracing too then bring back our temporary seats from HP for the away fans / segregation as next season there will be a greater need due to the increase in local teams - Spennymoor, Blyth and York.
I don't see the point of spending money on the playing squad if we can't get promotion due to an inadequate facility which doesn't meet the League's requirements. If MG needs cash for a specific target player then let him ask the owners (the DFCSG fans), explain his plans and put it to the vote / poll. We can do this electronically so quite quick & cheaply, provided there is a secure method - no Putin style hacking or voting by botnets! :lol:
Getting extra seats will reduce our capacity, for those big games you are on about.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:54 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Getting extra seats will reduce our capacity, for those big games you are on about.
How? The capacity of the ground will be calculated as 4 deep standing in front of the stand. The seats won't be included.

Given that the club will simply be moving people from the 4 deep standing area in front of the stand to the 6 or whatever it is deep stand I don't see why we would need to reduce the capacity.

We can't increase it, but I don't see how it will decrease it.

Blackwell Meadows was 2,004 before the temporary seats and 2,004 when we were using the temporary seats.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 16, 2017 8:32 am

lo36789 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Getting extra seats will reduce our capacity, for those big games you are on about.
How? The capacity of the ground will be calculated as 4 deep standing in front of the stand. The seats won't be included.

Given that the club will simply be moving people from the 4 deep standing area in front of the stand to the 6 or whatever it is deep stand I don't see why we would need to reduce the capacity.

Blackwell Meadows was 2,004 before the temporary seats and 2,004 when we were using the temporary seats.
Because I expect the possible crowd you would get where the new stand is situated, would be more than you will get in the new stand.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue May 16, 2017 8:37 am

jjljks wrote:Sort out the seating first, even strip out what is there now and add in some elevation. Please don't let whoever designed the South stand anywhere near the job. Do it properly and add in some terracing too then bring back our temporary seats from HP for the away fans / segregation as next season there will be a greater need due to the increase in local teams - Spennymoor, Blyth and York.
Rebuild the current stand, build another seated stand, and some terracing - how much we rasing?! :shock:

We do need some terracing, but at the FF it was said that it would cost well into 6 figures (cant remember exactly how much). Unless the money starts pouring in, it'll have to be 1 thing at a time :lol:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:38 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Because I expect the possible crowd you would get where the new stand is situated, would be more than you will get in the new stand.
:thumbup:

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Tue May 16, 2017 9:27 am

These seating decks come pre-fabricated - there's not much you can do in terms of making them steeper. It's a fair bit cheaper to buy them this way rather than build a bespoke structure. Many grounds at this level are exactly the same.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue May 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Infrastructure for me. Boosting the budget, whilst the idea is understandable could be irrelevant if we don't have the seats in place.

I'm also wondering whether we will have to boost the budget next season (especially if we were lucky enough to get promoted)

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Tue May 16, 2017 12:55 pm

D_F_C wrote:Infrastructure for me. Boosting the budget, whilst the idea is understandable could be irrelevant if we don't have the seats in place.

I'm also wondering whether we will have to boost the budget next season (especially if we were lucky enough to get promoted)
Depends on whether we've managed to get anywhere in the cups or sell a player or if the manager will take the hit if not

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue May 16, 2017 1:00 pm

lo36789 wrote:

You mean Heritage Park...

I think the capacity in theory would have been slightly higher once the temporary seats went in, but it was not considered worth re-evaluating the capacity for a small increase.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Thu May 18, 2017 9:48 pm

Both pitches are for the long term, as the Boost the Budget is on Standing Order.

The seats are more urgent, as the player budget doesn't need to be finalised until late season when strengthening usually happens.

The sooner the pledged totals are reached then the sooner the club can plan ahead and budget for a play-off / title position.

Big incentives now with Take-over threat gone, 3 players signing new contracts and Poolie giving us an extra incentive to go for promotion.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:06 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Because I expect the possible crowd you would get where the new stand is situated, would be more than you will get in the new stand.
Uhhhh wut?

It's pretty simple isn't it? 4 deep standing or 6 rows of seating.... Interesting suggestion, they might fit in the away fans corner. (One the other side of the tunnel and one before the pipe in the corner?)

Who knows. He's right though, we probably need to start thinking about developing that end, including some proper segregation, give we're going to get some proper crowds coming next year. Really Halifax have been the only sizeable one thus far? I'm sure FC United would have brought more if it hadn't been season over for them.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri May 19, 2017 7:53 pm

As far as I know, unless someone knows otherwise, it won't be cost effective to develop that side of the ground until another promotion because we won't be eligible for any more grants until that time.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat May 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Looks like someone's chucked in £5k in the seating pitch today. The boost the budget pitch is going up slowly, its been averaging around £1k a day over the last 10 days.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun May 21, 2017 8:18 am

As the seating pitch nears it's second target, I hope people start to switch there efforts to the playing budget. Then once that is reached we can all switch our attention to raising the funds for the remaining pitch target.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun May 21, 2017 9:43 am

Am worried that if we can't provide more secure segregation for the expected increase in away fans due to more local derbies, then we would be refused promotion on some other trumped up regulation about failing to steward properly.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun May 21, 2017 10:04 am

jjljks wrote:Am worried that if we can't provide more secure segregation for the expected increase in away fans due to more local derbies, then we would be refused promotion on some other trumped up regulation about failing to steward properly.
You can't say it's trumped up when the rules are pretty specific.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun May 21, 2017 10:05 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:As the seating pitch nears it's second target, I hope people start to switch there efforts to the playing budget. Then once that is reached we can all switch our attention to raising the funds for the remaining pitch target.
I'd rather we have the seats in place before we even consider the budget to be honest. But I also understand it's easier to donate to the budget as you don't need the full amount up front

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:12 pm

Yes, I must admit I'm slightly nervous about the potential of a larger away crowd in a meaningful local game. That segregation now just isn't going to stop a few idiots. It needs to be considered in future development.

I mean I'd love us to draw Poolie in the Trophy next year, but I'd be concerned about hosting them at BM in its current state. Likewise the possibility of us drawing other big sides in the FA Cup, for example.

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon May 22, 2017 2:05 pm

H1987 wrote:Yes, I must admit I'm slightly nervous about the potential of a larger away crowd in a meaningful local game. That segregation now just isn't going to stop a few idiots. It needs to be considered in future development.

I mean I'd love us to draw Poolie in the Trophy next year, but I'd be concerned about hosting them at BM in its current state. Likewise the possibility of us drawing other big sides in the FA Cup, for example.
It's Ok, you can't draw a big side at the stage we get knocked out at ;)

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 23, 2017 8:07 am

shawry wrote:
H1987 wrote:Yes, I must admit I'm slightly nervous about the potential of a larger away crowd in a meaningful local game. That segregation now just isn't going to stop a few idiots. It needs to be considered in future development.

It's Ok, you can't draw a big side at the stage we get knocked out at ;)

Yeh we'd need to win a cup game, in order for us to have a chance of playing poolie and there's not much chance of that.