SALFORD

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

roadrunner
Team Supported: Darlington

SALFORD

Post by roadrunner » Tue May 16, 2017 3:34 pm

Just signed two centre backs Hogan from Gateshead and Livesy from Barrow.

onewayup

Re: SALFORD

Post by onewayup » Tue May 16, 2017 3:42 pm

roadrunner wrote:Just signed two centre backs Hogan from Gateshead and Livesy from Barrow.
This is why we need that budget boosted a,s,a,p so Martin can go and get the targets he has identified.to keep us at the top of this division.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue May 16, 2017 3:44 pm

I'd imagine Salford will win the league next season. York are the only one I can see stopping them, and they're a wildcard really.

Clubs are starting to sign players - we are in no position to compete with Salford, for a variety of reasons, but it wont be long before Spennymoor + Blyth (and others) start making moves. This is one of the reasons we need Gray's future sorted one way or the other ASAP.

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Tue May 16, 2017 3:47 pm

Hogan is an unbelievable signing. Wasn't he Gateshead captain? Big move by Salford.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 16, 2017 3:53 pm

We know our squad is there or thereabouts in terms of the play-offs, so focus should be on maintaining what we have with a couple of tweaks. Our form seemed to improve once we brought Bartlett in - we certainly seemed to keep a few clean sheets.

No need to go chasing signings at the moment, we don't know where we'll be with budget so why blow what we do have before we have to? No point spending money on a league winning squad if we can't build these seats either.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue May 16, 2017 3:55 pm

onewayup wrote:
roadrunner wrote:Just signed two centre backs Hogan from Gateshead and Livesy from Barrow.
This is why we need that budget boosted a,s,a,p so Martin can go and get the targets he has identified.to keep us at the top of this division.
The trouble is we can boost our budget as much as we can (and we should do) but people need to understand that we simply will not be able to compete with bankrolled full time clubs like Salford and Harrogate in any case.

Then you've got the likes of York, Stockport, and FCUM with higher gates and in some cases higher gate prices.

It's tough and we've found our level for now.

I'd say that we will have done very VERY well to hit top 5 in the next season or two because there are more than 5 clubs ahead of us for one reason or another.

We may have to bide our time - we'll go up eventually. It might not hurt to not go up until the 5 year ST income defecit has gone and the ground is ready and paid for. Just being realistic.

A lot of people are going to be calling for "investment" over the next season or two, but we can't just accept investment from anyone at any cost, just for the short term fix of being able to compete with the Salfords and Harrogates for...how long exactly?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue May 16, 2017 3:57 pm

What Salford do will be irrelevant to us, we can't match them in terms of money or full time offer so might as well ignore what they do.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Tue May 16, 2017 3:59 pm

Quakerz wrote:
onewayup wrote:
The trouble is we can boost our budget as much as we can (and we should do) but people need to understand that we simply will not be able to compete with bankrolled full time clubs like Salford and Harrogate in any case.

Then you've got the likes of York, Stockport, and FCUM with higher gates and in some cases higher gate prices.

It's tough and we've found our level for now.

I'd say that we will have done very VERY well to hit top 5 in the next season or two because there are more than 5 clubs ahead of us for one reason or another.

We may have to bide our time - we'll go up eventually. It might not hurt to not go up until the 5 year ST income defecit has gone and the ground is ready and paid for. Just being realistic.

A lot of people are going to be calling for "investment" over the next season or two, but we can't just accept investment from anyone at any cost, just for the short term fix of being able to compete with the Salfords and Harrogates for...how long exactly?
Agree with everything said here. Plus investment shouldn't be accepted at any cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue May 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Alfreton have just given the bullet to their boss Russ O'Neill but they are reported to be about to announce new investment into the club. Mind, don't think it's Abramovich.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 16, 2017 4:06 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:What Salford do will be irrelevant to us, we can't match them in terms of money or full time offer so might as well ignore what they do.
To be fair, we've matched Salford for the last two seasons with less money than them.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue May 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Nah, them two in charge reckon they've always paid peanuts and many, many clubs have far bigger budgets :mrgreen:. Would love to see a profit and loss account on them.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Tue May 16, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue May 16, 2017 4:16 pm

Spyman wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:What Salford do will be irrelevant to us, we can't match them in terms of money or full time offer so might as well ignore what they do.
To be fair, we've matched Salford for the last two seasons with less money than them.
Do we actually know we've had less money than Salford or is that an assumption?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue May 16, 2017 4:16 pm

Spyman wrote:
Indeed. Sometimes when players are playing for the money rather than the shirt, you don't quite get as much out of them.

This is why we always beat Spendy.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Tue May 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Indeed. Sometimes when players are playing for the money rather than the shirt, you don't quite get as much out of them.

This is why we always beat Spendy.
Happy with the team we've got if we can keep it.
SALFORD signing players that will be to big for there managers , has beens and just there for the money.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue May 16, 2017 5:04 pm

I'm loving non-league footie but I'd also like to see us move upwards. It's a shame we can't find a benefactor with a massive building firm who would put those seats in!

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue May 16, 2017 5:12 pm

Great thread.

As many others have said, next season will arguably be much harder next season than this due to the proliferation of full-time clubs.

This will weaken all clubs in the division as they may end up hoovering young talent from clubs across the division, and the one above as shown by Hogan signing for Salford.

However, we can certainly compete for the play-offs with a couple of tweaks. Most of our squad are contracted, we may yet lose one or two, and we are an attractive proposition at this level. Martin Gray and his staff have the benefit of a season at this level and will know exactly how they will approach next season, something that those joining the division from both above and below have against them.

Glass half full.

Cabron

Post by Cabron » Tue May 16, 2017 6:44 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Nah, them two in charge reckon they've always paid peanuts and many, many clubs have far bigger budgets :mrgreen:. Would love to see a profit and loss account on them.
Yeah but then again they are a pair of fucking cock sockets.

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:32 pm

Salford are after Tranmeres top scorer thry are willing to pay 2.5k a week and buy him out his last years contract. If thats not buying the league ffs

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed May 17, 2017 6:47 am

Lot of attention on expected league position next season, but cups may be an opportunity for some success. Few decent cup runs would help to increase attendances and income. Not saying we will win a cup, but some cup runs would be welcome.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:08 am

Cabron wrote:Yeah but then again they are a pair of fucking cock sockets.
They are actually pretty nice guys if you ever chat to them.

I don't really care what other teams are doing - if I am honest. I don't know why they would pay Tranmeres striker £2.5k a week though - they could probably get someone out of League One for that money. Sounds a bit over the top for me.

FT players at this level at looking at £25k to £30k per annum not £130k. To be fair PT are getting £300-£400ish p/w but it's only for 42 weeks of the year generally so £17k. It's not a bad top up on another salary though...

The weekly difference between a FT and PT player does seem that substantial the big cost is paying them for 10weeks when you have no revenues. Southport tried putting their players on 42week FT contracts and basically all they got were kids destined for PT football and were swiftly relegated.

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:20 am

lo36789 wrote:
They are actually pretty nice guys if you ever chat to them.

I don't really care what other teams are doing - if I am honest. I don't know why they would pay Tranmeres striker £2.5k a week though - they could probably get someone out of League One for that money. Sounds a bit over the top for me.

FT players at this level at looking at £25k to £30k per annum not £130k. To be fair PT are getting £300-£400ish p/w but it's only for 42 weeks of the year generally so £17k. It's not a bad top up on another salary though...

The weekly difference between a FT and PT player does seem that substantial the big cost is paying them for 10weeks when you have no revenues. Southport tried putting their players on 42week FT contracts and basically all they got were kids destined for PT football and were swiftly relegated.

That info has came from the lads dad im sure it will be right

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:42 am

lo36789 wrote:

Treating FT staff this way is not going to encourage people to a business. Who wants to have enforced 3 months unemployment every year, especially when not on huge salary to start with?
Last edited by spen666 on Wed May 17, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:55 am

What transfer fee have Tranmere accepted for him? Put something in perspective Salford rake in about £2800 after tax per week from gate receipts. A player earning £2500 per week costs a club £2820 per week with NI contributions.

Are you sure it wasn't £2,500 per month as that would put him at the top end of FT earners for this level.

£2,500 would put him on par with lower end Championship.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... along.html

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Wed May 17, 2017 8:26 am

Danny Rowe was apparently on 1.5k a week with a £50 goal bonus on top at Fylde. That is from a lad I work with that played with him for a season a few years back but has kept in touch with him. It seems a staggering amount does 2.5k a week for a player at this level but with unlimited money to throw at things, It amounts to £130,000 a year for almost guaranteed 30+ goals which will more or less guarantee a minimum off a top 5 finish. Small price to pay really with such deep pockets to put your hands into.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Wed May 17, 2017 12:27 pm

carlodarlo wrote:Danny Rowe was apparently on 1.5k a week with a £50 goal bonus on top at Fylde. That is from a lad I work with that played with him for a season a few years back but has kept in touch with him. It seems a staggering amount does 2.5k a week for a player at this level but with unlimited money to throw at things, It amounts to £130,000 a year for almost guaranteed 30+ goals which will more or less guarantee a minimum off a top 5 finish. Small price to pay really with such deep pockets to put your hands into.
Good job they did not sign Ibrahimovic according to mr Stelling on Saturday he is on £172000.00 per goal nice work if you can get it.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed May 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Craig09 wrote:Salford are after Tranmeres top scorer thry are willing to pay 2.5k a week and buy him out his last years contract. If thats not buying the league ffs
I'd say the majority of Hearts FC 1st team players up here in the SPFL are on less than that!

£2.5k a week if true is ridiculous. and unnecessary. Salford are acting like the new Rangers up here when they got papped into the 3rd tier of Scottish football. They went mental bringing in Scottish premier league players on premier league wages to win the third division by 40 points instead of spending a fraction of that to still win the third division by 40 points!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed May 17, 2017 2:09 pm

Craig09 wrote:Salford are after Tranmeres top scorer thry are willing to pay 2.5k a week and buy him out his last years contract. If thats not buying the league ffs
Surely if we had a super investor we would be more than happy to buy the league though, I would say it's exactly what most would want.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed May 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Until the Colne Dynamoes or Rushden and Diamonds effect strikes.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed May 17, 2017 2:58 pm

We've had stupid rumours spread about wages we pay from people who work with a friend of the players dad etc. They've all been bollocks, I don't know why these are being taken seriously. £2.5k a week, give your head a shake.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed May 17, 2017 4:34 pm

I remember being contacted by someone during our Northern League season to tell me that our wage budget then was 7.5k a week, and it had come from another NL club chairman therefore = 100% true.

It was obviously bollocks, and when I tried to tell him that he was way off the mark, say three times way off the mark, he was actually incredulous at me, as if I was deluded! He just wouldn't have it.

Thank goodness we got out of that basket case league at the first attempt, it is not missed.