Poll: League proposal to have 6 teams in the play-offs

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Would you like to see the number of teams in the play-offs increased to 6?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:03 am

Yes, I like this proposal
32%
Yes, but with H/A legs
8%
No, I have a better idea
4%
No, keep things as they are
56%

Total votes: 25

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Poll: League proposal to have 6 teams in the play-offs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun May 21, 2017 6:03 am

At the National League AGM on June 10th all National League clubs will be asked to give their opinion on a proposal which will increase the number of teams who are eligible to take part in the National League play-offs from 4 to 6 as from next season.

Full details: The National League's "trailblazing" new play-off proposals

To summarise there would just be single leg play-offs in all three divisions. The teams finishing in 2nd & 3rd places would get a bye into the semi final, where they would be at home to one of the next 4 teams.

The general idea is to get more clubs interested in the dogfight for the play-offs while rewarding teams who finish with the most points with a single home-tie, and a shortcut into the semi finals if you finish even higher.

The new format would include the same amount of play-off matches as there are currently, with the National League final remaining at Wembley.

It's an interesting proposal but what do you think?
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

spen666
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Poll: League proposal to have 6 teams in the play-offs

Post by spen666 » Sun May 21, 2017 7:18 am

In National League there are at least 3 teams with 3G pitches who would not be allowed into football league so can't take part in playoffs unless they agreed to remove 3g pitch before the following season. If these 3 were to finish in top 7 then it would mean teams finishing 10th get to take part in playoffs

Can a system that allows a team in 10th place over the full season to get promotion do anything but devalue the full season in favour of a cup competition at end of season

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun May 21, 2017 7:20 am

I voted 'keep things as they are' - to me it's a change too far.

My 1 vote has swung the balance dramatically.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun May 21, 2017 7:37 am

Why is there no 'don't care' option?

Maybe the bigger question is why 3G pitches aren't allowed in the FL?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun May 21, 2017 8:08 am

spen666 wrote:In National League there are at least 3 teams with 3G pitches who would not be allowed into football league so can't take part in playoffs unless they agreed to remove 3g pitch before the following season. If these 3 were to finish in top 7 then it would mean teams finishing 10th get to take part in playoffs

Can a system that allows a team in 10th place over the full season to get promotion do anything but devalue the full season in favour of a cup competition at end of season
This would also be affected by the 500 seats rule too.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun May 21, 2017 8:28 am

It's a bit of a mockery, when the top 8 could get promoted. But I guess there won't be many games that won't have playoff or relegation implications come the end of the season.

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun May 21, 2017 8:42 am

spen666 wrote:In National League there are at least 3 teams with 3G pitches who would not be allowed into football league so can't take part in playoffs unless they agreed to remove 3g pitch before the following season. If these 3 were to finish in top 7 then it would mean teams finishing 10th get to take part in playoffs

Good point. Maybe they'd just have a cut-off after the team in 7th and give teams byes if one or two clubs don't meet the requirements. Wonder what they'd do if none of them did - reprieve a team from above?

So long as they had that cut-off I'd have no problem with changing it. It give more teams more to fight for at the end of the season and getting home advantage in single leg play-offs (as in the Evo-Stik) is better, in my humble opinion. Also getting byes into the semi-finals for the teams in 2nd & 3rd will make the end of the season a bit more interesting.

The article I linked to says this proposal came about following the launch of the league's "Growing the Game" strategy.

There's a bit more about that here:

http://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.co ... n-barwick/
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun May 21, 2017 8:44 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:It's a bit of a mockery, when the top 8 could get promoted. But I guess there won't be many games that won't have playoff or relegation implications come the end of the season.
Top 7. Top team promoted + 6 teams in the play-offs.
Join - Shop - Collect

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun May 21, 2017 9:21 am

Not surprised that the 500 seats rule is there given that Brian Barwick is the National League chair
man. This is the man who promised a 'Root and branch review' of the FA following the sacking of Steve McClaren and it stayed exactly the same dysfunctional sexist organisation which is currently being tended to by the Government. The best way of growing the game is getting people like him out of it and having proper figureheads such as recently retired footballers in charge of the National League.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun May 21, 2017 9:35 am

Top 2 should go up automatically, next 4 do H/A playoffs, Brian Barwick & rest of NL run naked the gauntlet of fans with thistles and/or whips around grassy knolls whilst counting the number of seats under cover. Much better idea!