Just One

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Just One

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 29, 2017 7:03 am

Our team from last season was relatively young and they will only improve this season. If we can add a striker, central midfielder and centre half, then I believe there is every reason to look forward to a successful upcoming campaign. I do believe that a lot of our players feel that they have unfinished business, after we were denied a play-off place, which will only help us going forward.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:29 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:If we can add a... central midfielder
Who do you think will leave out of Portas, Turnbull, Syers and Scott? Or do you think we need 5 CMs?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:03 am

lo36789 wrote:
Who do you think will leave out of Portas, Turnbull, Syers and Scott? Or do you think we need 5 CMs?
Lo, who would you bring in to strengthen us going forward into a very, very tough league.I agree with Pete and MG has tough decisions to make so have every confidence in whatever he decides.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:51 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Lo, who would you bring in to strengthen us going forward into a very, very tough league.I agree with Pete and MG has tough decisions to make so have every confidence in whatever he decides.
Simple I think we need a new CB. CB is our weakest position, we are lightest up top as well so potentially some cover but I don't know how we can justify the cost of a player of sufficient quality to just sit on the bench.

Think we have adequate quality and cover everywhere else.

- Bartlett / Jameson / Wilczynski / McLaren is too much cover we can lose 2 keepers
- Marrs / Hunter / Ferguson / Galbraith are absolutely solid as full backs and cover
- Turnbull / Portas / Syers / Scott is more than adequate quality and cover for CM
- Thompson / Gillies / Wearmouth provides quality and cover for wide midfield
- Beck / Cartman / Saunders has the quality. I am a little nervous about cover here.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 29, 2017 8:53 am

lo36789 wrote:
I think Scott will be used just as an emergency. So a quality addition, would put the other 3 under some much needed pressure to perform.

If possible we need to have more than adequate cover for all positions.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:55 am

Think we'd have to lose Scott in that situation. I am not sure we can justify having a senior player just for emergencies only.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 29, 2017 9:08 am

lo36789 wrote:Think we'd have to lose Scott in that situation. I am not sure we can justify having a senior player just for emergencies only.
You're probably right.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:30 am

lo36789 wrote:Think we'd have to lose Scott in that situation. I am not sure we can justify having a senior player just for emergencies only.
Agreed.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:56 am

lo36789 wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Lo, who would you bring in to strengthen us going forward into a very, very tough league.I agree with Pete and MG has tough decisions to make so have every confidence in whatever he decides.
Simple I think we need a new CB. CB is our weakest position, we are lightest up top as well so potentially some cover but I don't know how we can justify the cost of a player of sufficient quality to just sit on the bench.

Think we have adequate quality and cover everywhere else.

- Bartlett / Jameson / Wilczynski / McLaren is too much cover we can lose 2 keepers
- Marrs / Hunter / Ferguson / Galbraith are absolutely solid as full backs and cover
- Turnbull / Portas / Syers / Scott is more than adequate quality and cover for CM
- Thompson / Gillies / Wearmouth provides quality and cover for wide midfield
- Beck / Cartman / Saunders has the quality. I am a little nervous about cover here.
Agree with most of this lo. Though I was thinking in the interest of using the budget to the maximum. If we got an injury to one of our strikers especially Beck we could either try and use the loan system. Or we could change shape to a 4-4-1-1. With Syers pushed forwards behind the striker and Cartman up front. Just a thought.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon May 29, 2017 10:49 am

My opinion wrote:
loan_star wrote:
My opinion wrote: In my opinion, our best central defensive performance last season was when we played Hunter and Galbraith together though I can't remember who it was against.
So theres one game, against a struggling team, that you thought showed our defence at its best. :roll:
I didn't say it showed our defence at its best...READ IT AGAIN...I said the best central defensive performance.
Didn't think I would have to explain this but it means the CENTRE BACKS understanding of each other.....
As for the struggling team bit, it doesn't matter who we played against. In other games during the season supposed stronger more established Centre backs struggled against weaker opposition..
As I also said. It is my opinion
I have checked back and Hunter and Galbraith were paired together against Brackley at home which was a good all round team performance,
Hunter and Galbraith were also paired together at Gainsborough the following game and that was one of our worst performances from the centre backs all season!
Like I say you cant just pick one performance and say that proves they were the best pairing.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:42 am

Definitely a centre back required. Even if we lose two keepers and bring in one good quality CB, that will be good progress.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Mon May 29, 2017 1:15 pm

loan_star wrote:
My opinion wrote:
loan_star wrote:
My opinion wrote: In my opinion, our best central defensive performance last season was when we played Hunter and Galbraith together though I can't remember who it was against.
So theres one game, against a struggling team, that you thought showed our defence at its best. :roll:
I didn't say it showed our defence at its best...READ IT AGAIN...I said the best central defensive performance.
Didn't think I would have to explain this but it means the CENTRE BACKS understanding of each other.....
As for the struggling team bit, it doesn't matter who we played against. In other games during the season supposed stronger more established Centre backs struggled against weaker opposition..
I have checked back and Hunter and Galbraith were paired together against Brackley at home which was a good all round team performance,
Hunter and Galbraith were also paired together at Gainsborough the following game and that was one of our worst performances from the centre backs all season!
Like I say you cant just pick one performance and say that proves they were the best pairing.
Stop putting in words that I never said.
Where do you get the idea that I said it was the best pairing.
I said it was the best centre back performance of the season....As far as I could see (this means IN MY OPINION) the two lads Hunter and Galbraith played better as a pair in that game than any other pairing in any other game throughout the season...
I am not saying and never have said they are the best choice centre backs or the best defenders.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon May 29, 2017 2:14 pm

My opinion wrote:
loan_star wrote:
My opinion wrote:
loan_star wrote:
I said it was the best centre back performance of the season....As far as I could see (this means IN MY OPINION) the two lads Hunter and Galbraith played better as a pair in that game than any other pairing in any other game throughout the season...
I am not saying and never have said they are the best choice centre backs or the best defenders.
And I'm saying that in the following game they were both poor.
Whatever point you are trying to make isn't coming over very well.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Mon May 29, 2017 5:33 pm

My opinion wrote:
loan_star wrote:
My opinion wrote:
loan_star wrote:
And I'm saying that in the following game they were both poor.
Whatever point you are trying to make isn't coming over very well.[/quote]

Why are you going on about the following game?
In all my posts I have said that (here we go again) the best Centre back performance in my opinion was in that the one specific game only..I wasn't sure initially who we played against but it was established by YOU that it was against Brackley....
I know they were not as good at the following game. I have not said they were in any of my posts, so why are you now trying to make it that my comments were about Gainsborough...
I think you are either deliberately missing the point for an argument or you are trying to twist my comments following your misunderstanding of my original post

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon May 29, 2017 5:37 pm

If there was only one new signing a stronger defensive midfielder please.

I don't think the centre backs should be taking so much flak, although their man marking wasn't so good.

Full backs were at fault for some conceding of goals and a more defensive midfielder seems a must to improve marking, relieve pressure and provide better passes forward that our players can reach and control.

Our defenders should by now know what we are up against in this league and could be better organised this time around (with help from Gregan / Bartlett ?) to work as a unit.

The role of captain also needs to be clarified if Brown & Burgess are playing together, so that their positions and roles are better defined.

Excursions up-field should be covered by other defenders / defensive midfielders staying back.

We may have to rely more on improved training working, rather than fresh faces being recruited next season.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Is Ferguson pinned down yet? He could be the best signing we make if we can secure him on a two year deal.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon May 29, 2017 5:55 pm

My opinion wrote: Didn't think I would have to explain this but it means the CENTRE BACKS understanding of each other.....
My opinion wrote:Where do you get the idea that I said it was the best pairing.
My opinion wrote:Why are you going on about the following game?
In all my posts I have said that (here we go again) the best Centre back performance in my opinion was in that the one specific game only..I wasn't sure initially who we played against but it was established by YOU that it was against Brackley....
I know they were not as good at the following game. I have not said they were in any of my posts, so why are you now trying to make it that my comments were about Gainsborough...
I think you are either deliberately missing the point for an argument or you are trying to twist my comments following your misunderstanding of my original post
Where have I said your comments were about Gainsborough? I mentioned them as that was the following game and proved that your best pairing, which you said in the previous quotes above, of Hunter and Galbraith were more than capable of playing badly!

You have also stated that we lack leader in the centre of defence. Suggest you read Phil Turnbulls best eleven article and see what he thinks of Gary Brown. I would take his opinion over yours any day.

https://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/my ... -turnbull/

I have no doubt we both agree that we need to improve our defensive performances this coming season but lets be more objective in the criticism of the players we already have. The players we have are more than capable of stepping up to the plate this season and if they don't I am sure Gray has plans to change that if necessary.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Tue May 30, 2017 9:50 am

loan_star wrote:
My opinion wrote: Didn't think I would have to explain this but it means the CENTRE BACKS understanding of each other.....
My opinion wrote:Where do you get the idea that I said it was the best pairing.
My opinion wrote:Why are you going on about the following game?
Where have I said your comments were about Gainsborough? I mentioned them as that was the following game and proved that your best pairing, which you said in the previous quotes above, of Hunter and Galbraith were more than capable of playing badly!

You have also stated that we lack leader in the centre of defence. Suggest you read Phil Turnbulls best eleven article and see what he thinks of Gary Brown. I would take his opinion over yours any day.

https://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/my ... -turnbull/

I have no doubt we both agree that we need to improve our defensive performances this coming season but lets be more objective in the criticism of the players we already have. The players we have are more than capable of stepping up to the plate this season and if they don't I am sure Gray has plans to change that if necessary.
I give up.
First off, on two of your posts you say that I said things that I haven't said...
Secondly you bring in Gainsborough when I was on about the Brackley game only
Third you compare my opinion about a single performance against Brackley to an opinion by Turnbull ...He is entitled to his opinion and I am entitled to mine.
And finally, you almost agree by admitting we need to improve our defensive performances or there will be changes if necessary....
.I am saying we need at least one new Centre back who can organise and lead...A younger version of Alan White would do nicely....In MY Opinion

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Tue May 30, 2017 9:58 am

We're pulling together a very competitive squad again which is great, as for our defensive players we have good strength there and players who'll run through brick walls for us. With that comes a slight weakness in that we're not especially quick right through the middle of the park. I think this was our undoing quite a few times last season as we looked a bit vulnerable to the counter attack.

But it would be impossible to have every single attribute in players at our level so we should be looking to make the most of our strengths and manage around the weaknesses, hopefully Martin will be able to work this out for us.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 30, 2017 2:58 pm

m62exile wrote:We're pulling together a very competitive squad again which is great, as for our defensive players we have good strength there and players who'll run through brick walls for us. With that comes a slight weakness in that we're not especially quick right through the middle of the park. I think this was our undoing quite a few times last season as we looked a bit vulnerable to the counter attack.

But it would be impossible to have every single attribute in players at our level so we should be looking to make the most of our strengths and manage around the weaknesses, hopefully Martin will be able to work this out for us.
As you say, we're retaining the majority of a competitive squad. We'll also have Bartlett from day one which I'm sure will have an impact on defensive organisation.

To be honest, as much as Salford and others will have full time players, for many of them they're entering the unknown and starting to build a team from scratch again. It'll take the extra training to build the understanding and team spirit that we already have.

Yes I'd love to see us bring in a central defender who is proven at this level or the one above but it may be a luxury we can't afford unless someone in the Turnbull/Bartlett mould comes along who wants to go part time and stay local.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue May 30, 2017 4:12 pm

My opinion wrote: First off, on two of your posts you say that I said things that I haven't said...
Secondly you bring in Gainsborough when I was on about the Brackley game only
Third you compare my opinion about a single performance against Brackley to an opinion by Turnbull ...He is entitled to his opinion and I am entitled to mine.
And finally, you almost agree by admitting we need to improve our defensive performances or there will be changes if necessary....
.I am saying we need at least one new Centre back who can organise and lead...A younger version of Alan White would do nicely....In MY Opinion
All I was saying is that a one off game cant be used to judge whether a partnership is good enough. There will be games where Brown and Burgess did well together too.
As for Turnbulls opinion regarding a player leadership qualities, of course you are entitled to think he is wrong but the majority would take Turnbulls side on this over some random bloke on a messageboard.
I actually agree that if we could find a young Alan White type of player that would be ideal. However I am more than prepared to let Gray decide if thats what is required.