Rival Signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Rival Signings

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:05 pm

Rumours of one player signing and a member of the current squad signing a new deal but I am unsure how true they are.

Realistically we only need to bring in 2 or 3 instead of the 5 or 6 we have previous summers. It may be a case of biding our time.

We have only lost Falkingham from last season's squad, with Portas to come back in and replace him, normally we release a couple and let go a few once better players become available.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:54 pm

I personally believe we need another centre half, central midfielder and another striker and we will be good to go. Role on July 5th for the fixtures.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:01 pm

quakerste wrote:I personally believe we need another centre half, central midfielder and another striker and we will be good to go. Role on July 5th for the fixtures.
Spot on, get 3 really good signings and we will be up there without doubt.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:33 pm

Suggest you ask the local dog walkers.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:19 am

Never known it to be as quiet as this.Would like to know who the rumoured new signing is and who we have given a new contract.Come on Divas let's have a clue at least.

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:26 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Never known it to be as quiet as this.Would like to know who the rumoured new signing is and who we have given a new contract.Come on Divas let's have a clue at least.

Hopefully​ it'll all pop up soon, getting a bit anxious over all these signings going on elsewhere.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:32 pm

The less players you need to sign the less urgency. We've a squad that has proven it can finish in the top 5 so only minor tinkering needed. We didn't sign our player of the season until the eve of last season - id imagine it will be similar this year with many of MG's targets waiting to see if they can get a FT deal by trialling with league / conference clubs.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:32 pm

People need to stop worrying, we already have a capable squad and hopefully if Portas and Wearmouth are fit, it will be like having two additional players.

We absolutely do not need a centre midfielder as some people are saying.

In reality we only need a forward, and maybe a central defender, and we need to lose a goalkeeper.

When you only need a couple of signings it's not a bad thing, and Gray will be looking for players who can improve our squad which won't be easy with the budget still 40k down from last season. That's why it will be taking time.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

polarbear
Team Supported: spennymoor

Post by polarbear » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:40 pm

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:49 pm

Already read it, heard of neither.

To be fair, you do need to majorly strengthen for this level - we don't.

Keep chucking around those affordable 5 figure signing on fees.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:50 pm

Wow congratulations on appointing a scout that knows where teams other than Darlington play?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:07 pm

"From the four signings already completed, it’s clear that Moors’ management team have targeted players who are ready-made to slot straight into the squad at this level, with minimal development required."

Except the goalkeeper they've signed who played 2 divisions below the one they're entering.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:06 pm

Spyman wrote:"From the four signings already completed, it’s clear that Moors’ management team have targeted players who are ready-made to slot straight into the squad at this level, with minimal development required."

Except the goalkeeper they've signed who played 2 divisions below the one they're entering.
says last season the Scarborough goalie was an ever present, so surmising it was him in goal when I watched them played Richmond Town in the North Riding Cup? - the goalie was skipper on that night so with other first teamers in the starting Xl I dont think a reserve would have took the armband?

He was alright :|

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:30 pm

Nigel Batches Beard wrote:
Spyman wrote:"From the four signings already completed, it’s clear that Moors’ management team have targeted players who are ready-made to slot straight into the squad at this level, with minimal development required."

says last season the Scarborough goalie was an ever present, so surmising it was him in goal when I watched them played Richmond Town in the North Riding Cup? - the goalie was skipper on that night so with other first teamers in the starting Xl I dont think a reserve would have took the armband?

He was alright :|
Yep, an ever present in a team two divisions below the National League North.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:26 pm

Could he not be a very good keeper playing below his level? Not sure why anyone's sneering. Peterborough have done it successfully for years. Might be a decent policy for us.

Radar

Post by Radar » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:33 pm

FA Trophy Winner with FC Halifax Town a year ago.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:01 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Could he not be a very good keeper playing below his level? Not sure why anyone's sneering. Peterborough have done it successfully for years. Might be a decent policy for us.
Not sneering, just pointing out the bullshit in their statement

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:06 am

We need to stop worrying about who our rivals have signed and just look at our squad, who have already proved themselves at the level we are at.

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:26 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:We need to stop worrying about who our rivals have signed and just look at our squad, who have already proved themselves at the level we are at.
all except Portas which seems a problem to one or two people? not me though, the lads always looked to me like he could handle a higher level
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Could he not be a very good keeper playing below his level? Not sure why anyone's sneering. Peterborough have done it successfully for years. Might be a decent policy for us.
not sneering at this either Harry, just saying that on the one occasion I saw him he was ok - no more, no less. Obviously a fan favourite though as I was sat behind the guys who do the Scarborough fans radio and he was constantly being bigged up