MG and new CEO on Look North

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

MG and new CEO on Look North

Post by poppyfield » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:36 pm

As above should be on in a bit.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

TDS

Re: MG and new CEO on Look North

Post by TDS » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:09 pm

Seems the new CEO's outlook meant Gray stayed. Gray also deemed the most recent fuck up bigger than all the previous fuck ups. Not sure I agree but either way we accept outside or investment, or Gray is gone in the medium term.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:08 pm

I think many would be happy to accept outside investment, it's where/who it's from that is most important.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:13 pm

TDS wrote:Seems the new CEO's outlook meant Gray stayed. Gray also deemed the most recent fuck up bigger than all the previous fuck ups. Not sure I agree but either way we accept outside or investment, or Gray is gone in the medium term.
Yep, Gray's decision to undermine the board and supporters was a massive fuck up. Glad he's acknowledged that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:30 am

The new CEO is taking us down the avenue of private investment and a reduction of fan ownership model.
I personally don't have a problem with this - but it is very clear in what direction we are heading.
I think to constantly ask for fans to dip into their pockets (other than buying tickets, shirts etc) is unsustainable but we have done fantastic to get to where we are.
The question we must ask, and I am not sure whether this has been discussed, is what percentage share we are willing to give up - it must be something we are happy with and that private investors are happy with - I fear that this may be difficult to achieve.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:41 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:The new CEO is taking us down the avenue of private investment and a reduction of fan ownership model.
I personally don't have a problem with this - but it is very clear in what direction we are heading.
I think to constantly ask for fans to dip into their pockets (other than buying tickets, shirts etc) is unsustainable but we have done fantastic to get to where we are.
The question we must ask, and I am not sure whether this has been discussed, is what percentage share we are willing to give up - it must be something we are happy with and that private investors are happy with - I fear that this may be difficult to achieve.
All depends what 'investors' want in return for the money they put in.

If it is ultimate control of the club then I think they'll struggle to ever achieve the 51% required to gain this.

If the 'investment' is more like a long term sponsorship agreement whereby they are benefitting from the exposure their involvement with the club brings, then I think it'll be far more achievable.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:44 am

Yes it's pretty clear that Dave Johnston's remit is to bring investment into the club - under what conditions remain to be seen. It's an interesting scenario as it's clear that Martin Gray is the one defining the direction of the football club in terms of ownership and rate of progression - should that be the case and if not who should be? The DFCSG, the FC board?

In regards to fan funding I agree that the well will run dry to a certain extent but it's a case of what the fans really want. Despite all of the noise around standing still will see us go backwards I'd like to think that running in a sustainable manner we would probably hang around at this level and possibly even progress in a few years once we've managed to put the infrastructure in place and paid off debts that we've had to take on to build the current infrastructure. I guess it's that decision to be made between growing slowly and sustainably or trying to move at a rate that will need external investment that could be pulled at any time.

Of course any dilution in fan ownership must be passed by Supporter Group members so even if there is a private investor this would need to be accepted by the majority.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:45 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... s-06062017

Link for anyone interested. We're on at around 18:40 into the video.

I think in reality we should be looking to bring more people on board. As has been said we can still do our bit as fans to bring in as much money as possible. It would be nice to see that any furute equity deals would be done in stages. Eg. allowing new investors to buy 15% per year to a maximum of 75%. This would mean investors would have to be with us over 5 years to achieve their maximum shareholding, and be with us for over 3 year before they take complete control of the club. In addition, a right of first refusal for the supporters group on any future deals would be a must.

In my mind a realistic plan for the club would be over the next 5 years:

17/18 season: Playoffs minimum finish + Ground to be able to compete in playoffs (500 covered seats).

18/19 season: Promotion from Conference North + Full costings and plans for Cat A standard Ground.

19/20 season: Consolidation season in Conference (avoid relegation) + Work completed for Cat A ground.

20/21 season: Improved season on the pitch (lower midtable finish) focus on trophy competitions (FA Trophy).

21/22 season: Top half conference finish. Introduce pricing and costings for full football league membership ground.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:55 am

The trouble is, the sums needed will dwarf what 15% of equity will bring in - about £50K initially.

ade
Team Supported: hawks/ darlo

Post by ade » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:35 pm

hi boys. hawks fan here in peace. surely your priority must be to get the required seats or winning footie games will mean nothing?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:58 pm

JE93 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... s-06062017

I think in reality we should be looking to bring more people on board. As has been said we can still do our bit as fans to bring in as much money as possible. It would be nice to see that any furute equity deals would be done in stages. Eg. allowing new investors to buy 15% per year to a maximum of 75%. This would mean investors would have to be with us over 5 years to achieve their maximum shareholding, and be with us for over 3 year before they take complete control of the club. In addition, a right of first refusal for the supporters group on any future deals would be a must.

17/18 season: Playoffs minimum finish + Ground to be able to compete in playoffs (500 covered seats).

18/19 season: Promotion from Conference North + Full costings and plans for Cat A standard Ground.

19/20 season: Consolidation season in Conference (avoid relegation) + Work completed for Cat A ground.

20/21 season: Improved season on the pitch (lower midtable finish) focus on trophy competitions (FA Trophy).

21/22 season: Top half conference finish. Introduce pricing and costings for full football league membership ground.
When do you expect us to go professional?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:09 pm

21/22 based on those assumptions. Anything less than a top half national league finish when pro wouldn't be acceptable for me.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:40 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
JE93 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... s-06062017

When do you expect us to go professional?
21/22 would be the assumption based on that prediction. Budget permitting.

Perhaps in the first season we could try some form of hybrid model. Core of 12/13 full timers topped up with a couple of promising young players and some loans from the larger NE clubs. + 4 or 5 of the best part timers. People like Turnbull who have chosen to be PT.