New Signing

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Quakers83
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington

New Signing

Post by Quakers83 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:40 pm

Rumoured on Twitter to be Dom Collins from Fylde...

User avatar
Magical Quakers
Posts: 420
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Nottingham

Re: New Signing

Post by Magical Quakers » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:45 pm

In fairness it is the man himself who has said it!

Delighted to have signed a 2 year deal with @Official_Darlo a fantastic club with great ambitions! Can't wait to get back into it now

https://twitter.com/DomCollins91/status ... 5356917761

al_quaker
Posts: 5576
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:03 pm

Seems to have played a fair bit in the conference prior to joining Fylde, and of course Fylde have done pretty well in this division the last 2 seasons, so decent pedigree

al_quaker
Posts: 5576
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:03 pm

(double post)

bga
Posts: 1383
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by bga » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:10 pm

Any fee involved I wonder or was he out of contract?

quakerste
Posts: 1430
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by quakerste » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:17 pm

Well that's the defender signed now for a central midfielder and a forward then we'll be done.

Quakers83
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by Quakers83 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:22 pm

bga wrote:Any fee involved I wonder or was he out of contract?
No fee involved as he was released by Fylde in May.

Quakers83
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by Quakers83 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:26 pm

quakerste wrote:Well that's the defender signed now for a central midfielder and a forward then we'll be done.
I think that another central midfielder would be a luxury as we already have Portas, Turnbull, Scott and potentially Syers.

I agree regarding a forward, although I'd probably expect that we'd see a few outgoings first.

Emdubya
Posts: 783
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by Emdubya » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:28 pm

quakerste wrote:Well that's the defender signed now for a central midfielder and a forward then we'll be done.
Turnbull,Portas,Syers,Scott,Galbraith.How many centre mids do you want?

quakerste
Posts: 1430
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by quakerste » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:07 pm

Turnbull and Syers excellent players for this level Portas is unproven.
Galbraith is not a central midfielder and Scott is not good enough.

In my opinion we need another combative midfielder to replace Falkingham, but with a bit more height.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6238
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by loan_star » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:30 pm

Syers has signed a new deal from what I hear

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1966
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:44 pm

Who does that leave uncontracted then?

lo36789
Posts: 8553
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: New Signing

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:11 pm

quakerste wrote:Portas is unproven.
I'm not sure being unproven is valid enough reason to get in another player. What if he is proven to be good enough we have an unnecessary cost.

We didn't buy a whole new squad last season when we got promoted because the players were unproven at the level.

Scott not being good enough seems a bit unfair he was perfectly capable last season.

FWIW Dom Collins very impressive player when I saw him last season. Big, strong and quite mobile.

Quakers83
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by Quakers83 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Who does that leave uncontracted then?
Definitely contracted are; Liam Marrs, Chris Hunter, Gary Brown, Kevin Burgess, Dominic Collins, Terry Galbraith, Josh Gillies, Leon Scott, Phil Turnbull, Stephen Thompson, Arran Wearmouth, Mark Beck, Nathan Cartman, Harvey Saunders plus YT Hume and Milburn.

That leaves;

Adam Bartlett - Signed late in the season, length of contract wasn't mentioned but likely to be a 2 year deal.

Peter Jameson - Signed a new deal in Nov 14' and I'm not sure if this has expired this summer.

Ed Wilczynski - Again, signed mid-season however length of contract wasn't mentioned.

Tom Portas - It was announced a couple of years ago that he had signed a 'long-term' deal. Nothing official has been announced but probably 99% confident that he will be with us next season.

Dave Syers - Rumoured to have signed a new deal.

Quakers83
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by Quakers83 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:45 pm

quakerste wrote:Turnbull and Syers excellent players for this level Portas is unproven.
Galbraith is not a central midfielder and Scott is not good enough.

In my opinion we need another combative midfielder to replace Falkingham, but with a bit more height.
I wouldn't say Portas is unproven given he certainly did well at this level prior to injury.

al_quaker
Posts: 5576
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:49 pm

loan_star wrote:Syers has signed a new deal from what I hear
That would be excellent news if true.

I disagree we need a CM. If one of them moves on then we would, but as it stands we have 4 CMs (all with different strengths too), plus Hume and Galbraith if need be.

With Collins signing, we only really need a striker, and we need to lose at least 1 of the keepers. Although at the end of the season Ed tweeted something about "moving on to a new challenge" so he maybe was out of contract anyway.

dfcdfcdfc
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:04 am

Something here is odd. Dom Collins is from Fylde and has played predominantly in the north-west and has been full-time with Fylde and his previous clubs as far as I can see. Can't find a worthwhile fans forum for an insight but most of what I have seen is full of praise for him.

Why the hell would he move/commute across country to go part-time? Has he got a job at MG's Academy? Have we signed our first full-time player? If this is true, and his twitter account suggests it is, I think we need some background to the deal.

Undercovered
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 1:35 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by Undercovered » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:11 am

His Mrs is a teacher and has taken up a post in Sedgfield
Image

User avatar
aveda
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:01 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by aveda » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:23 am

Quakers83 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Who does that leave uncontracted then?
Definitely contracted are; Liam Marrs, Chris Hunter, Gary Brown, Kevin Burgess, Dominic Collins, Terry Galbraith, Josh Gillies, Leon Scott, Phil Turnbull, Stephen Thompson, Arran Wearmouth, Mark Beck, Nathan Cartman, Harvey Saunders plus YT Hume and Milburn.

That leaves;

Adam Bartlett - Signed late in the season, length of contract wasn't mentioned but likely to be a 2 year deal.

Peter Jameson - Signed a new deal in Nov 14' and I'm not sure if this has expired this summer.

Ed Wilczynski - Again, signed mid-season however length of contract wasn't mentioned.

Tom Portas - It was announced a couple of years ago that he had signed a 'long-term' deal. Nothing official has been announced but probably 99% confident that he will be with us next season.

Dave Syers - Rumoured to have signed a new deal.
Has Ferguson gone?

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2006
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:33 am

Really hope we have Ferguson contracted, cracking player and with Portas back we only really need a good forward and the squad will look very strong but MG always comes up with the odd surprise just like the Collins signing so no point even guessing.Happy with this squad so far though.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Emdubya
Posts: 783
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by Emdubya » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:46 am

dfcdfcdfc wrote:Something here is odd. Dom Collins is from Fylde and has played predominantly in the north-west and has been full-time with Fylde and his previous clubs as far as I can see. Can't find a worthwhile fans forum for an insight but most of what I have seen is full of praise for him.

Why the hell would he move/commute across country to go part-time? Has he got a job at MG's Academy? Have we signed our first full-time player? If this is true, and his twitter account suggests it is, I think we need some background to the deal.
That's the problem with reading between lines,stuff gets blurred

I'm sure Fergie signed something like a two and a half year deal when he came.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11850
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by Spyman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:49 am

Sounds a very good signing.

Regarding midfield, how about we let Portas prove himself before deciding we need someone else in there. If he doesn't cut it we can send him to Spennymoor and bring in someone better.

I'm sure he'll do fine though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quakers83
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by Quakers83 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:00 am

aveda wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Who does that leave uncontracted then?
Definitely contracted are; Liam Marrs, Chris Hunter, Gary Brown, Kevin Burgess, Dominic Collins, Terry Galbraith, Josh Gillies, Leon Scott, Phil Turnbull, Stephen Thompson, Arran Wearmouth, Mark Beck, Nathan Cartman, Harvey Saunders plus YT Hume and Milburn.

That leaves;

Adam Bartlett - Signed late in the season, length of contract wasn't mentioned but likely to be a 2 year deal.

Peter Jameson - Signed a new deal in Nov 14' and I'm not sure if this has expired this summer.

Ed Wilczynski - Again, signed mid-season however length of contract wasn't mentioned.

Tom Portas - It was announced a couple of years ago that he had signed a 'long-term' deal. Nothing official has been announced but probably 99% confident that he will be with us next season.

Dave Syers - Rumoured to have signed a new deal.
Has Ferguson gone?
Sorry, I'd missed him off the list! Ferguson is similar to Bartlett, likely to be a minimum of a 2 year deal (especially as a fee was involved), however the length of contract wasn't announced.

Beano
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by Beano » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:40 am

I'm very excited to see Portas return as he offers something different to our other central midfielders: he drives forward with the ball at pace and opens up space all over the pitch.

lo36789
Posts: 8553
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: New Signing

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:44 am

Got to remember that Ferguson is a perfectly capable centre midfielder as well. Only he or Galbraith can play left back at any one time.

Beano
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by Beano » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:49 am

lo36789 wrote:Got to remember that Ferguson is a perfectly capable centre midfielder as well. Only he or Galbraith can play left back at any one time.
There is certainly an argument for playing Ferguson in midfield either on the left or in the centre. He is undoubtedly a class above our division.

bga
Posts: 1383
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by bga » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:10 am

dfcdfcdfc wrote:Something here is odd. Dom Collins is from Fylde and has played predominantly in the north-west and has been full-time with Fylde and his previous clubs as far as I can see. Can't find a worthwhile fans forum for an insight but most of what I have seen is full of praise for him.

Why the hell would he move/commute across country to go part-time? Has he got a job at MG's Academy? Have we signed our first full-time player? If this is true, and his twitter account suggests it is, I think we need some background to the deal.
All will be revealed when Ray interviews him?

bga
Posts: 1383
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by bga » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:13 am

Undercovered wrote:His Mrs is a teacher and has taken up a post in Sedgfield
More important question for me is why would you swop a job on the Fylde coast for........................Sedgfield! :o

Darlofan97
Posts: 4338
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:13 am

Ferguson has never played centre midfield for us, nor did he play there for Shildon as far as I am aware. Only ever left-back or left-wing.

Ferguson was outstanding at full-back towards the back end of last season, and I don't think Gray will change that. Galbraith may have to bide his time to get back in to the team, whether that be at left-back or centre-half.

Collins seems a good signing, a fans favourite at Fylde over the past 2 seasons by all accounts. For me he goes in alongside Burgess in the centre.

1 or 2 more will do (centre-forward and possibly a centre-midfielder or winger). More than happy to go with what we have right now however Gray always looks to strengthen the side.

Beano
Posts: 1361
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New Signing

Post by Beano » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:19 am

Given our lack of a left-footers for the left wing, Ferguson seems a natural choice if we line up in a 4-4-2.

Post Reply