Shildon V Darlington FC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Shildon V Darlington FC

Post by poppyfield » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:46 pm

First friendly at Shildon this Saturday, looking forward to watching some football, not to far to go, should take a few hundred up there, not been to there ground for a while. :thumbup:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlo_Pete

Re: Shildon V Darlington FC

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:25 pm

Wonder if they still have that super loo, that Scott so fondly remembers?

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:56 am

Looking forward to it myself...Managed to talk my daughter into going as well

Just five minutes walk for me

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:01 pm

Looking forward to watching Richard Brodie tomorrow now its been confirmed he's on trial with us.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Wonder if they still have that super loo, that Scott so fondly remembers?
Love that loo pete! That was my eldest first ever Darlo match too. Happy days

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:49 am

poppyfield wrote:Looking forward to watching Richard Brodie tomorrow now its been confirmed he's on trial with us.

I'm so used to booing at him - it will be a hard habit to break!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Craig09

Post by Craig09 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:29 am

I hope hes in better shape than he was last season. I recall being told he was like a pork pig and high maintenence by some one at the club

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:40 am

A high maintenance pork pig!

Wait till Quakerz sees this.

Chuckle.............................
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:57 am

uncovered wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Wonder if they still have that super loo, that Scott so fondly remembers?
Love that loo pete! That was my eldest first ever Darlo match too. Happy days
I thought they'd make a lasting impression on you Scott!!

Got a pass out to go this afternoon, hopefully a good following from Darlo and a healthy crowd.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:32 pm

First Half: Jameson; Trialist, Collins, Heaton (Trialist), Galbraith; Thompson, Trialist or YT, Scott, Ferguson; Brodie, Cartman

After 55/60 mins: Jameson; Marrs, Brown, Hunter, YT; Gillies, Hulme (YT), Scott, YT; Beck, Saunders

Bartlett, Burgess, Portas, Turnbull, Syers & Wearmouth all missing (Portas & Burgess were there - just not in the squad).

Impressed with Heaton who I think has some talent at such a young age. Very strong in the air.

Brodie looked off the pace, will be interesting to see if Gray persists.

Saunders was very, very good when he came on I thought.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:48 pm

The CM alongside Scott in the 1st half showed some decent touches. Bit small for the conference north perhaps, but some potential. Saunders looked decent. Heaton had some good moments and some bad moments, but worth looking at again. The rest were well off the pace, as is completely expected.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:06 pm

al_quaker wrote:The CM alongside Scott in the 1st half showed some decent touches. Bit small for the conference north perhaps, but some potential. Saunders looked decent. Heaton had some good moments and some bad moments, but worth looking at again. The rest were well off the pace, as is completely expected.
We're Shildon off the pace too or were they on the pace as expected??

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:14 pm

That was pretty poor fair. To be honest a neutral would have thought Shildon were the higher placed team. Brodie surprisingly didn't look overweight, but he had a pretty poor game, didn't look up for it and wandered around aimlessly.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:36 pm

al_quaker wrote:The CM alongside Scott in the 1st half showed some decent touches. Bit small for the conference north perhaps, but some potential. Saunders looked decent. Heaton had some good moments and some bad moments, but worth looking at again. The rest were well off the pace, as is completely expected.
I don't think Heaton had any bad moments, aside from the tackle in the first half which was made 10 times worse by the Shildon players.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:38 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Shildon were strong, well organised and passed it well.

Saying that we should have scored at least two.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:17 pm

I wouldn't read to much into any pre-season friendly results, particularly not the first one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:32 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
I'd imagine they were also off the pace too - they didn't play particularly well either.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:33 pm

Any idea who this Heaton is?

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:34 pm

Not sure what people expect. shildon played the game as if it was a cup final and we played ok in patches. Although we lost the game was played at a pretty high tempo which will have pleased Gray much more than the result. The players will have got more out of that fitness wise than if we had won 4-0 and played at a snails pace.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:36 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:Any idea who this Heaton is?
20 year old centre half currently contracted to Bamber Bridge. Came through the set-up at Preston and has played for Tamworth (loan), Colne & Staylbridge.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:47 am

Yeh I though Heaton looked good, but do we need another central defender?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:59 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Yeh I though Heaton looked good, but do we need another central defender?
No, we don't.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:05 am

Darlo_CR wrote:Any idea who this Heaton is?
Any relation to Archie Heaton? ;) Don't want nepotism at the club!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:19 am

If Heaton is better than what we currently have - and if it's within budget - then I have no objection to us signing him.

Last season we struggled with cover at centre-half, hence why we had to play Hunter, Galbraith, Watson & Nowakowski there. Hunter, out of them all, is more of a centre-half but I definitely rate him as more of a right-back at this level.

It may well be that someone will have to depart if we do bring him in.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:34 am

Also, please do not forget that our defence was our weak point last season with 74 goals conceded in 45 matches (in all comps). Our 'goals against' record in the league was the joint-worst in the top-half on the table (with Tamworth).

I don't think anyone should be totally against us bringing in two new centre-halfs this summer!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:46 am

Darlofan97 wrote:Also, please do not forget that our defence was our weak point last season with 74 goals conceded in 45 matches (in all comps). Our 'goals against' record in the league was the joint-worst in the top-half on the table (with Tamworth).

I don't think anyone should be totally against us bringing in two new centre-halfs this summer!
As long as we off-load at the same time I've got no objection. We currently have 4 recognised central defenders with experience at this level, and Lovegreen in addition to that. As you've already pointed out we then also have Galbraith as an option.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:22 am

Darlofan97 wrote:If Heaton is better than what we currently have - and if it's within budget - then I have no objection to us signing him.

Last season we struggled with cover at centre-half, hence why we had to play Hunter, Galbraith, Watson & Nowakowski there. Hunter, out of them all, is more of a centre-half but I definitely rate him as more of a right-back at this level.

Also thought Heaton was the standout trialist, I would bring him in, for a 20 year old looked very composed on the ball, reminded me of a young Dan Burn.
Burgess cant fully recovered from last season.
The CB position was definitely an issue last season, I would move on one of the midfielders

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:28 pm

Spyman wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Also, please do not forget that our defence was our weak point last season with 74 goals conceded in 45 matches (in all comps). Our 'goals against' record in the league was the joint-worst in the top-half on the table (with Tamworth).

As long as we off-load at the same time I've got no objection. We currently have 4 recognised central defenders with experience at this level, and Lovegreen in addition to that. As you've already pointed out we then also have Galbraith as an option.
I would say that we have 3 recognised centre-halfs at this level in Brown, Burgess & Collins. From what I have seen last season, and the one before that in the NPL, Hunter is much better at full-back as I thought he was caught out at centre-half in the NPL.

More than happy to retain Hunter as back-up to Marrs and to use as an emergency centre-back if needed. Remember we did have to use Falkingham as a right-back last season also.

Galbraith & Ferguson can fight it out for the left-back place, but Gray might fancy using Ferguson further up the pitch.

I don't think that Lovegreen will be near the first-team (this year) and may go out on loan again.

I do think, at this level, you need at least 3 recognised centre-halfs. We used full-backs or midfielders last year to fill in and do a job when Brown & Burgess were injured and I think that it showed. We have 3 now, but Gray may feel that he can improve on what he has.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:32 pm

poppyfield wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:If Heaton is better than what we currently have - and if it's within budget - then I have no objection to us signing him.

Also thought Heaton was the standout trialist, I would bring him in, for a 20 year old looked very composed on the ball, reminded me of a young Dan Burn.
Burgess cant fully recovered from last season.
The CB position was definitely an issue last season, I would move on one of the midfielders
Agreed - thought Heaton was quite impressive. Very strong in the air and composed on the ball.

Looking forward to the Aycliffe friendly to see how him, and the other trialists, get on.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:

I would say that we have 3 recognised centre-halfs at this level in Brown, Burgess & Collins. From what I have seen last season, and the one before that in the NPL, Hunter is much better at full-back as I thought he was caught out at centre-half in the NPL.

More than happy to retain Hunter as back-up to Marrs and to use as an emergency centre-back if needed. Remember we did have to use Falkingham as a right-back last season also.

Galbraith & Ferguson can fight it out for the left-back place, but Gray might fancy using Ferguson further up the pitch.

I don't think that Lovegreen will be near the first-team (this year) and may go out on loan again.

I do think, at this level, you need at least 3 recognised centre-halfs. We used full-backs or midfielders last year to fill in and do a job when Brown & Burgess were injured and I think that it showed. We have 3 now, but Gray may feel that he can improve on what he has.
So you agree we need to release one of Brown, Burgess or Collins to bring in Heaton?

At this level and with our financial limitations I'd completely expect us to have to make do with playing people in positions other than their 'natural' position (whatever that means).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DC