Advertise Here
You are here: darlofc.co.uk » Board index » The Uncovered Forums » Virtual Feethams
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:59 am View unanswered posts | View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:55 pm
Posts: 3296
Location: Gruzia
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo
real_darlo_85 wrote:
Mr_Tibbs wrote:
No, I think we just took our foot off the gas while we tackled all the other things which need doing at this time of year. It'll pick up once we start pushing it again.



Don't like being too pessimistic, BUT... what if it doesn't? We have got to be realistic now and as it stands funds have dried up, we don't have the extra seats and illegible for promotion.


People only give money if you keep pushing and pushing them to do so, and we didn't do that. I'm sure we'll get there - we might need to get a bit more inventive in the way we draw funds in, maybe fans need a bit more reassurance about investing, or maybe our CEO has some big investment up his sleeve, but I think we'll see some action on the fundraising front again before too long.

_________________
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

Image

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm
Posts: 1172
Team Supported: Darlington
AndyPark wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
Apparently fenwick signed for us as a last resort as Hartlepool didn't want him back.


Isn't that how we sign most players from higher divisions? Their current club no longer want them...last resort seems strong considering he's been on trial with us.

This has come from a poolie supporting friend who knows him. He doesn't want to be here apparently and intends to leave at the earliest oppprtunity.


Great post, Andy.

A real morale booster that one for players, manager and fans alike.

Sometimes you should think before you post.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:34 pm
Posts: 773
Team Supported: Darlington
darlo2001uk wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
Apparently fenwick signed for us as a last resort as Hartlepool didn't want him back.


Isn't that how we sign most players from higher divisions? Their current club no longer want them...last resort seems strong considering he's been on trial with us.

This has come from a poolie supporting friend who knows him. He doesn't want to be here apparently and intends to leave at the earliest oppprtunity.


Great post, Andy.

A real morale booster that one for players, manager and fans alike.

Sometimes you should think before you post.



Oh well if that info came from a Choker friend it must be right :roll: Jeez


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Posts: 10763
Location: Darlington
Team Supported: Darlington
darlo2001uk wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
Apparently fenwick signed for us as a last resort as Hartlepool didn't want him back.


Isn't that how we sign most players from higher divisions? Their current club no longer want them...last resort seems strong considering he's been on trial with us.

This has come from a poolie supporting friend who knows him. He doesn't want to be here apparently and intends to leave at the earliest oppprtunity.


Great post, Andy.

A real morale booster that one for players, manager and fans alike.

Sometimes you should think before you post.

Grow up.

_________________
https://twitter.com/#!/AndrewParkk


Darlington Football Club: The club that refused to die.
Bought by the fans; for the fans!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm
Posts: 1172
Team Supported: Darlington
AndyPark wrote:
darlo2001uk wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
Apparently fenwick signed for us as a last resort as Hartlepool didn't want him back.


Isn't that how we sign most players from higher divisions? Their current club no longer want them...last resort seems strong considering he's been on trial with us.

This has come from a poolie supporting friend who knows him. He doesn't want to be here apparently and intends to leave at the earliest oppprtunity.


Great post, Andy.

A real morale booster that one for players, manager and fans alike.

Sometimes you should think before you post.

Grow up.


Ha ha!!

A well-thought out and measured response Andy.

Your alleged Poolie supporting friend would be proud :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Posts: 10763
Location: Darlington
Team Supported: Darlington
Talk about making mountain out of a molehill. I passed on info I was told, whether it's true or not is a different question.

Go put your tampon back in.

_________________
https://twitter.com/#!/AndrewParkk


Darlington Football Club: The club that refused to die.
Bought by the fans; for the fans!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm
Posts: 1172
Team Supported: Darlington
AndyPark wrote:
Talk about making mountain out of a molehill. I passed on info I was told, whether it's true or not is a different question.

Go put your tampon back in.


It gets better!!! Listen to her!!!

Ha ha ha!!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:04 pm
Posts: 143
Team Supported: Darlington / Rangers
Maybe McClaren won't be available to assist Darlo after all:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40849646


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 3857
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlogramps wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
See no bother in strengthening within budget. Would suspect if 2 come in we will see some departures, just as we have with the previous 2 signings.


Ah, I see your transfer fetishism strikes again.

If the playing budget allows us to strengthen still further given the strong squad we have, at the expense of an essential ground development, it is set stupidly too high.

We have a 22-man squad (25 if you include Wearmouth, Milburn and potentially Heaton) which is far too big.

Given our past budgeting horror shows, to assume everything is hunky dory is at best extremely naive. At worst it's willful ignorance


I think you will find that the transfer / budgeting issue was brought up by Spyman first, not myself.

Gray is looking to strengthen whilst operating in the budget set by the board. As per Jameson, Wearmouth (and potentially now Cartman), it may mean outgoings to free up space for incoming players.

We actually have a 21-man squad, not 22 - 25 as you suggest. 21 was precisely the number we started last season with. You have conveniently counted Wearmouth & Milburn (who are both out on loan) and Heaton whose transfer has been delayed.

Gray is trying to maximise the effectiveness of his playing squad by bringing in players who he feels can improve us whilst balancing the books by allowing departures.

The seats are priority, although Gray does not set the budget he is given and he is working within the allocated budget set by the Board. It's quite clear we are operating on a 1 in 1 out basis currently whilst strengthening the squad.

If you take a look at the 21-man squad from this season, and the 21-man squad we have currently, there have been 9 changes to the side. 7/9 we have let go we have received transfer fees for, 1/9 we have brought in have been signed for a fee. So despite strengthening quite significantly, we have done so without paying transfer fees for the majority.

It seems to me that the budget is actually set extremely similar to last year, so not too high. If Gray can find a way to strengthen within this allocation by bringing in one and releasing one then I have no issue with that.

It does however become an issue if we continue to add players to a squad without any departures.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10930
Team Supported: Darlington
All I'll pick up on is your belief that 'Gray does not set the budget'.

Isn't that exactly what he did by publicly stating he'd walk if the board didn't increase the budget they'd told him the club could afford?

The board wanted to reduce last season's playing budget by £80k so we could live within our means. If the budget is similar to last year's, then in the boards belief it is too high.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 3857
Team Supported: Darlington
Spyman wrote:
All I'll pick up on is your belief that 'Gray does not set the budget'.

Isn't that exactly what he did by publicly stating he'd walk if the board didn't increase the budget they'd told him the club could afford?

The board wanted to reduce last season's playing budget by £80k so we could live within our means. If the budget is similar to last year's, then in the boards belief it is too high.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


Gray does not set the budget, absolute nonsense.

Gray has publicly apologised for his outburst, and admitted that he got it wrong. The budget has maintained at the same level due to the fans raising c£42k + the price increase to increase revenue. The derby games of York, Spennymoor & Blyth would have helped too, instead of the standard 100 paying fans we get at BM.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10930
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
All I'll pick up on is your belief that 'Gray does not set the budget'.

Isn't that exactly what he did by publicly stating he'd walk if the board didn't increase the budget they'd told him the club could afford?

The board wanted to reduce last season's playing budget by £80k so we could live within our means. If the budget is similar to last year's, then in the boards belief it is too high.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


Gray does not set the budget, absolute nonsense.

Gray has publicly apologised for his outburst, and admitted that he got it wrong. The budget has maintained at the same level due to the fans raising c£42k + the price increase to increase revenue. The derby games of York, Spennymoor & Blyth would have helped too, instead of the standard 100 paying fans we get at BM.
Ok, if you say so. Gray in no way forced the board and the supporters hands to give him a bigger budget. [emoji23]

I didn't see him handing that £80k over to the stand fund along with his apology.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 3857
Team Supported: Darlington
:lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Posts: 439
Team Supported: Darlington
Spyman wrote:
All I'll pick up on is your belief that 'Gray does not set the budget'.

Isn't that exactly what he did by publicly stating he'd walk if the board didn't increase the budget they'd told him the club could afford?

The board wanted to reduce last season's playing budget by £80k so we could live within our means. If the budget is similar to last year's, then in the boards belief it is too high.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


Fair point...

It looks like Cartman might leave to make way for Fewster, but the squad is still relatively large. Guys out on loan even, I would assume we are paying something towards. Gray will obviously push for the biggest budget he can, in order to give him the best chance. That's normal, to an extent. Thing is, we need people prepared to say no, or other ways to bring in cash beyond asking fans for more and more donations. It's finite how much you can do that.

I'm sure discussions will be had in the coming year. Even if we get this stand built, we still need to build another terrace. Presumably that'll cost around the same? (No seats required, but a bigger structure). I can't remember if the club announced how much they think this will cost, but I know that is what they're planning. On top of that, fans will have propped up the playing budget this year... are we capable of doing that next year? Do we have to do it every year? Obviously the goal is to reach the national level, but that in turn will require an increased budget again, and does the income from promotion cover that? I would suspect not. Without investors we need one eye on how sustainable we are. Certainly while we get Blackwell Meadows up to the required standard (and that, at bare minimum for the National it is these extra few seats and that small terrace at the other end).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Posts: 815
Team Supported: Darlington
I think about 400k has been quoted somewhere to make the necessary improvements for NL level. That will be matched by funding, so 200k approx to raise I think will not be far off.
As for player budget. MG reckons 1 million for full time. I suspect he will not want to entertain part time. Promotion could be interesting...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10930
Team Supported: Darlington
Vodka_Vic wrote:
I think about 400k has been quoted somewhere to make the necessary improvements for NL level. That will be matched by funding, so 200k approx to raise I think will not be far off.
As for player budget. MG reckons 1 million for full time. I suspect he will not want to entertain part time. Promotion could be interesting...
I suspect he'll have to go and find a full time team to manage if that were the case.

Anyway, let's focus on the tasks at hand - get these seats built so we can start thinking about promotion and the drama it will cause.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 882
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlofan97 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
See no bother in strengthening within budget. Would suspect if 2 come in we will see some departures, just as we have with the previous 2 signings.


Ah, I see your transfer fetishism strikes again.

If the playing budget allows us to strengthen still further given the strong squad we have, at the expense of an essential ground development, it is set stupidly too high.

We have a 22-man squad (25 if you include Wearmouth, Milburn and potentially Heaton) which is far too big.

Given our past budgeting horror shows, to assume everything is hunky dory is at best extremely naive. At worst it's willful ignorance


I think you will find that the transfer / budgeting issue was brought up by Spyman first, not myself.

Gray is looking to strengthen whilst operating in the budget set by the board. As per Jameson, Wearmouth (and potentially now Cartman), it may mean outgoings to free up space for incoming players.

We actually have a 21-man squad, not 22 - 25 as you suggest. 21 was precisely the number we started last season with. You have conveniently counted Wearmouth & Milburn (who are both out on loan) and Heaton whose transfer has been delayed.

Gray is trying to maximise the effectiveness of his playing squad by bringing in players who he feels can improve us whilst balancing the books by allowing departures.

The seats are priority, although Gray does not set the budget he is given and he is working within the allocated budget set by the Board. It's quite clear we are operating on a 1 in 1 out basis currently whilst strengthening the squad.

If you take a look at the 21-man squad from this season, and the 21-man squad we have currently, there have been 9 changes to the side. 7/9 we have let go we have received transfer fees for, 1/9 we have brought in have been signed for a fee. So despite strengthening quite significantly, we have done so without paying transfer fees for the majority.

It seems to me that the budget is actually set extremely similar to last year, so not too high. If Gray can find a way to strengthen within this allocation by bringing in one and releasing one then I have no issue with that.

It does however become an issue if we continue to add players to a squad without any departures.

Don't know where you get your transfer fee information from but...........what if the one transfer fee we have paid for a player exceeds the fees we received for the other 7 we have received fees for? Please enlighten us!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 3431
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlofan97 wrote:
We actually have a 21-man squad, not 22 - 25 as you suggest. 21 was precisely the number we started last season with. You have conveniently counted Wearmouth & Milburn (who are both out on loan) and Heaton whose transfer has been delayed.


Nope - it's 22.

GK: Bartlett, Wilcyznski (2)
DEF: Hunter, Marrs, Brown, Galbraith, Ferguson, Burgess, Collins, Richards (8)
MID: Gillies, Syers, Thompson, Turnbull, Scott, Hume, Portas (7)
STR: Beck, Cartman, Saunders, Caton, Fenwick (5)

That's 22. The club themselves include Lee Hume in their official squad list on the website.

On top of that, we have Wearmouth and Milburn out on loan (who still count as we are their parent club). I know it's inconvenient to your "everything is fine and dandy, nothing to see here" argument, but you can't exclude them just because they're on loan. They're still our players.

And then there's Heaton as well, so potentially 25. Potentially 27 if Fewster and Wheatley join. Those numbers are utter madness for a club in our situation.

It also shouldn't need pointing out that 1-in, 1-out doesn't mean cost-neutral. You can still substantially increase costs operating on this basis. It would be patronising and embarrassing for me to explain this point any further.

Also, your claim that Gray did not exert any pressure over the board's budget-setting with his veiled threats to leave holds no water whatsoever. It's desperate head-in-the-sand stuff.

Gray knows this club better than anyone else. He's been here throughout the five years, while we've had at least four separate chairmen/chief execs in charge (Pinnegar, Jesper, Tempest and Johnston). Because of that, he knows how to get his own way.

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 3431
Team Supported: Darlington
bga wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
See no bother in strengthening within budget. Would suspect if 2 come in we will see some departures, just as we have with the previous 2 signings.


Ah, I see your transfer fetishism strikes again.

If the playing budget allows us to strengthen still further given the strong squad we have, at the expense of an essential ground development, it is set stupidly too high.

We have a 22-man squad (25 if you include Wearmouth, Milburn and potentially Heaton) which is far too big.

Given our past budgeting horror shows, to assume everything is hunky dory is at best extremely naive. At worst it's willful ignorance


I think you will find that the transfer / budgeting issue was brought up by Spyman first, not myself.

Gray is looking to strengthen whilst operating in the budget set by the board. As per Jameson, Wearmouth (and potentially now Cartman), it may mean outgoings to free up space for incoming players.

We actually have a 21-man squad, not 22 - 25 as you suggest. 21 was precisely the number we started last season with. You have conveniently counted Wearmouth & Milburn (who are both out on loan) and Heaton whose transfer has been delayed.

Gray is trying to maximise the effectiveness of his playing squad by bringing in players who he feels can improve us whilst balancing the books by allowing departures.

The seats are priority, although Gray does not set the budget he is given and he is working within the allocated budget set by the Board. It's quite clear we are operating on a 1 in 1 out basis currently whilst strengthening the squad.

If you take a look at the 21-man squad from this season, and the 21-man squad we have currently, there have been 9 changes to the side. 7/9 we have let go we have received transfer fees for, 1/9 we have brought in have been signed for a fee. So despite strengthening quite significantly, we have done so without paying transfer fees for the majority.

It seems to me that the budget is actually set extremely similar to last year, so not too high. If Gray can find a way to strengthen within this allocation by bringing in one and releasing one then I have no issue with that.

It does however become an issue if we continue to add players to a squad without any departures.

Don't know where you get your transfer fee information from but...........what if the one transfer fee we have paid for a player exceeds the fees we received for the other 7 we have received fees for? Please enlighten us!


Should also be pointed out that transfer fees are not the be all and end all. At our level, wages will be more expensive than usually nominal transfer fees.

It stands to reason that if you're strengthening the squad through buying better quality players and releasing weaker players, you'll be paying out more in wages, as you need to pay more for better quality.

As I said in the previous post 1-in, 1-out does not mean you're keeping your costs the same.

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10930
Team Supported: Darlington
Isn't Bell still on the playing staff? Ok he's probably picking up a minimal amount (if at all), but still in the numbers?

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 3857
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlogramps wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
We actually have a 21-man squad, not 22 - 25 as you suggest. 21 was precisely the number we started last season with. You have conveniently counted Wearmouth & Milburn (who are both out on loan) and Heaton whose transfer has been delayed.


Nope - it's 22.

GK: Bartlett, Wilcyznski (2)
DEF: Hunter, Marrs, Brown, Galbraith, Ferguson, Burgess, Collins, Richards (8)
MID: Gillies, Syers, Thompson, Turnbull, Scott, Hume, Portas (7)
STR: Beck, Cartman, Saunders, Caton, Fenwick (5)

That's 22. The club themselves include Lee Hume in their official squad list on the website.

On top of that, we have Wearmouth and Milburn out on loan (who still count as we are their parent club). I know it's inconvenient to your "everything is fine and dandy, nothing to see here" argument, but you can't exclude them just because they're on loan. They're still our players.

And then there's Heaton as well, so potentially 25. Potentially 27 if Fewster and Wheatley join. Those numbers are utter madness for a club in our situation.

It also shouldn't need pointing out that 1-in, 1-out doesn't mean cost-neutral. You can still substantially increase costs operating on this basis. It would be patronising and embarrassing for me to explain this point any further.

Also, your claim that Gray did not exert any pressure over the board's budget-setting with his veiled threats to leave holds no water whatsoever. It's desperate head-in-the-sand stuff.

Gray knows this club better than anyone else. He's been here throughout the five years, while we've had at least four separate chairmen/chief execs in charge (Pinnegar, Jesper, Tempest and Johnston). Because of that, he knows how to get his own way.


Lee Hume will be part of the reserve team this year, I believe.

You are including players that are having their wages covered by their respective clubs they are on loan too. This is what the whole issue is about, the expenditure on playing staff.

You are also including players that we have not even signed to inflate the squad further. Silly logic as, if these players do sign, then there will be a number of departures.

I did not claim Gray didn't exert any pressure on to the Board either, but that doesn't suit you either. I said that Gray does not set the budget, which he doesn't. If Gray set the budget then he would have signed 2 players back in February, which he couldn't due to budget restrictions.

If Gray had his own way then the budget would be set much higher than what it is, put it that way.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10930
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlofan97 wrote:

If Gray had his own way then the budget would be set much higher than what it is, put it that way.

You like to talk as if you and Martin Gray are best mates. Does he understand the reality of the situation - that we need money to build a new stand or else there is no promotion?

Does he understand where the money comes from for everything to do with the club?

Does he understand that the more money he has for the playing squad, the less money we have for the new stand and therefore the less chance of being able to get promoted - ever?

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 3431
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlofan97 wrote:
Lee Hume will be part of the reserve team this year, I believe.


He's listed by the club (not me) as part of the first team, so we have to go off what the club say and include him.

Darlofan97 wrote:
You are including players that are having their wages covered by their respective clubs they are on loan too. This is what the whole issue is about, the expenditure on playing staff.


You have no idea how those deals are structured. If you did, I'd be concerned how you were finding out these kind of details. It's a presumption on your part.

Nevertheless they're still our players. We're responsible for them. We still hold their registrations. I'm not inflating the figures. You're trying to deflate them because it's inconvenient for your argument.

Darlofan97 wrote:
You are also including players that we have not even signed to inflate the squad further. Silly logic as, if these players do sign, then there will be a number of departures.


I say "potentially." Nothing unfair in that. There are three players we're potentially going to sign which would increase the squad size. That is an accurate statement of fact.

I can't include departures if I don't know who they are, or if they're definitely going to happen. So wind your neck in with your silly logic comment.

And as I said before (and you've ignored because you can't counter it) 1-in, 1-out doesn't mean we're keeping our expenditure at the same level. You can still increase the amount you spend.

It's disingenuous on your part not to acknowledge this.

Darlofan97 wrote:
I did not claim Gray didn't exert any pressure on to the Board either, but that doesn't suit you either. I said that Gray does not set the budget, which he doesn't.


Now you're just arguing over semantics. He may not hold the accounts book, but Gray knows how to get his own way. His threat to leave influenced various budgetary factors this season.

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 3857
Team Supported: Darlington
Quote:
He's listed by the club (not me) as part of the first team, so we have to go off what the club say and include him.


Fair point. The lad will play for the reserves this year - each to there own.

Quote:
You have no idea how those deals are structured. If you did, I'd be concerned how you were finding out these kind of details. It's a presumption on your part.

Nevertheless they're still our players. We're responsible for them. We still hold their registrations. I'm not inflating the figures. You're trying to deflate them because it's inconvenient for your argument.

I say "potentially." Nothing unfair in that. There are three players we're potentially going to sign which would increase the squad size. That is an accurate statement of fact.

I can't include departures if I don't know who they are, or if they're definitely going to happen.


We may hold their registrations, and we may be responsible for them. But crucially, we aren't paying them, and playing staff expenditure is exactly what this issue is about. Not responsibility or registration.

There is no logic to include potential incomings but to not include potential outgoings, because you are always going to get an imbalance if you do that. It is naive to suggest that 3 will sign with no departures.

Quote:
And as I said before (and you've ignored because you can't counter it) 1-in, 1-out doesn't mean we're keeping our expenditure at the same level. You can still increase the amount you spend.

It's disingenuous on your part not to acknowledge this.


We will very much see on the balance sheet, Gramps.

Quote:
Now you're just arguing over semantics. He may not hold the accounts book, but Gray knows how to get his own way. His threat to leave influenced various budgetary factors this season.


Gray put pressure on, and influenced the Board. But he didn't set the budget I'm afraid.

Quote:
Quote:
So wind your neck in with your silly logic comment.



:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am going to stop conversing with you now Gramps. Some of the posts you have made over summer, particularly to others, are belittling, embarrassing and unbearable to read.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10930
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlofan97 wrote:

Quote:
Now you're just arguing over semantics. He may not hold the accounts book, but Gray knows how to get his own way. His threat to leave influenced various budgetary factors this season.


Gray put pressure on, and influenced the Board. But he didn't set the budget I'm afraid.



Did Gray, or did he not, threaten to leave unless he was given a budget in line with what he had last season, ie. a definitive budget figure?

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 3431
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlofan97 wrote:
We may hold their registrations, and we may be responsible for them. But crucially, we aren't paying them, and playing staff expenditure is exactly what this issue is about. Not responsibility or registration.


But you don't know whether we're paying for them or not. If you do, well that suggests a problem in terms of confidentiality. As H1987 said earlier in the thread , we could well be contributing to them in some form.

Darlofan97 wrote:
There is no logic to include potential incomings but to not include potential outgoings, because you are always going to get an imbalance if you do that. It is naive to suggest that 3 will sign with no departures.


Tell me who the departures are and I can include. Otherwise it's unreasonable to expect me to include people when we don't know who's departing, or indeed if anyone will.

Darlofan97 wrote:
Quote:
And as I said before (and you've ignored because you can't counter it) 1-in, 1-out doesn't mean we're keeping our expenditure at the same level. You can still increase the amount you spend.

It's disingenuous on your part not to acknowledge this.


We will very much see on the balance sheet, Gramps.


So you acknowledge it. Wonderful.

Darlofan97 wrote:
Quote:
Now you're just arguing over semantics. He may not hold the accounts book, but Gray knows how to get his own way. His threat to leave influenced various budgetary factors this season.


Gray put pressure on, and influenced the Board. But he didn't set the budget I'm afraid.


The fact he put pressure on the board is exactly the point I and others on this thread have been making. When there were bigger concerns for the club, was it right for Gray to pressurise the board for his own ends?

Darlofan97 wrote:
I am going to stop conversing with you now Gramps. Some of the posts you have made over summer, particularly to others, are belittling, embarrassing and unbearable to read.


Shame you're choosing to run away from our discussion by making a cheap personal jibe. By my standards, and given your weak, assumption-based arguments, I think I've been quite reasonable and polite.

I suspect it's more a case of you're struggling to defend your argument and now you're backing out.

Generally you do come up with some good counter arguments but in this thread, you've been very weak. As we've established, you've admitted we might well be increasing our expenditure, and you've admitted Gray pressurised the board to get the budget he wanted. So for all your protestations, you're actually conceding to me on the key issues.

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Posts: 980
Team Supported: Darlington
Disingenuous....not seen that on the forum before.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Posts: 367
Location: Hereford
Team Supported: Darlington
don'tbuythesun wrote:
Disingenuous....not seen that on the forum before.


A word taught in public schools.
So much nicer than ' two faced twat' or 'lying b******'. Personally I prefer mendacious.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 20545
Team Supported: Darlington
Vodka_Vic wrote:
As for player budget. MG reckons 1 million for full time. I suspect he will not want to entertain part time. Promotion could be interesting...


If we happened to get promoted this season - aside from the fact that we simply couldn't afford to go full time - there are a few things to consider...

The vast majority of our squad are on 2 year contracts so will be in contract next season as a part time player, regardless of which league we are in. I also believe that if we did achieve promotion, those players deserve a chance at the higher level, and we might surprise ourselves at how well we could fare, even as part timers.

Some of our better players - certainly Turnbull and Syers - want to be part time players. They are both players who are good enough for the next level up, yet if we go full time we could lose them. It would be barmy over the next 2-3 seasons, while they're still good enough, to cut them loose in favour of what? 19 year old Boro acadamy rejects on a similar wage but full time. We certainly couldn't afford experienced full time players equivalent to Syers and Turnbull without paying a lot more out in wages.

I don't think that Gray will have a problem next season to remain part time, even if we're in the top league.

The following season though, that's a different story.

_________________
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bradley Fewster
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10930
Team Supported: Darlington
Quakerz wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:
As for player budget. MG reckons 1 million for full time. I suspect he will not want to entertain part time. Promotion could be interesting...


If we happened to get promoted this season - aside from the fact that we simply couldn't afford to go full time - there are a few things to consider...

The vast majority of our squad are on 2 year contracts so will be in contract next season as a part time player, regardless of which league we are in. I also believe that if we did achieve promotion, those players deserve a chance at the higher level, and we might surprise ourselves at how well we could fare, even as part timers.

Some of our better players - certainly Turnbull and Syers - want to be part time players. They are both players who are good enough for the next level up, yet if we go full time we could lose them. It would be barmy over the next 2-3 seasons, while they're still good enough, to cut them loose in favour of what? 19 year old Boro acadamy rejects on a similar wage but full time. We certainly couldn't afford experienced full time players equivalent to Syers and Turnbull without paying a lot more out in wages.

I don't think that Gray will have a problem next season to remain part time, even if we're in the top league.

The following season though, that's a different story.

Syers is 26-27 isn't he? So arguably could be with us for the next 5 years.

Admittedly as an accountant as his career progresses he might have less time for football and general fitness may drop but theoretically he could keep going.

Are there examples of full-time teams in the Conference National with a handful of p/t players? I'm sure that could work.

Of course, there's no chance of us being able to fund anything like a full-time playing budget with the current infrastructure so this is all conjecture.

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Darlopartisan, Google [Bot], JE93 and 40 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group