Cartman available for loan

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlogav
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Cartman available for loan

Post by darlogav » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:59 am

jjljks wrote:
I can think of at least 3 others in the squad who don't deserve to be there & my heart sinks when I see their names on the team sheet ahead of Cartman. Not a wise decision to let Carts go :thumbdown:
Really? Please name them because I can't think of one...

OTT reactions I feel. Nice lad, good player and a grafter, but I don't think he's as big a loss as some are makng out

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:20 am

jjljks wrote:
dickdarlington wrote:The lad is class. He's got a great touch. He sees things others don't. He's a proper terrier of a forward, chasing everything. And when played in the right formation, a formidable threat.

For me, he had his best moments last season, when he came off the bench after 60 mins or so. When the opponents defences were tiring and he could find the holes.

I'm sure Gray would be happy to keep him for that reason. But it's not fair on a player who wants game time.
Spot on! Cartman can change a game when our system is not working. Coming off the bench, he creates chances other than the long diagonal up to the head of a big striker. His chasing and winning unlikely balls can throw the opposition & often got us back into games. His ball skills, work ethic and enthusiasm would be greatly missed, not forgetting his commitment off the field, for example picking up the unsold away tickets for the first match back in town. I can think of at least 3 others in the squad who don't deserve to be there & my heart sinks when I see their names on the team sheet ahead of Cartman. Not a wise decision to let Carts go :thumbdown:
I completely agree. Cartman has never been given the plaudits he deserves. His movement off the ball is exceptional and I fear the worst. As someone said before, Cartman does his own thing. He isn't a typical footballer and I suspect this is not something the fans really like here. It was the same with Clark Keltie, a maverick who people just didn't get. For me, Cartman is one of the best players at the club. There are too few players like him at this level who can turn games.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:35 am

princes town wrote: I completely agree. Cartman has never been given the plaudits he deserves. His movement off the ball is exceptional and I fear the worst. As someone said before, Cartman does his own thing. He isn't a typical footballer and I suspect this is not something the fans really like here. It was the same with Clark Keltie, a maverick who people just didn't get. For me, Cartman is one of the best players at the club. There are too few players like him at this level who can turn games.
Which games last season did he single-handedly turn?

I think some people are getting ahead of themselves with the gushing tributes.

He's a good player (although not as brilliant as you're making out) and a favourite with some sections of fans but we'll cope without him.

And I certainly wouldn't describe him as being like Keltie, or as a maverick who did his own thing. That's just fake news.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:47 am

[Farsley Celtic would be a good move for him. They are NPLPD now they have just lost Lewis Nightingale to Everton (as a coach) so may have some spare budget. Who knows Halifax could see him as a good back up striker...[/quote]

Personally would love him to go to Farsley as I'll still be able to watch him.Obviously he would love to go to his home Halifax so for his sake hope he does.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:34 am

Bring back Sean Reay and Andy Johnson...people don't half get overly emotive over players leaving these days.

I like Cartman. He has a good touch, he is a good personality around the place but actually he doesn't play that much anymore. The league we are in is increasingly physical and we have managed to pull in players who have done it in higher divisions.

That is how football works. I was supportive of Jameson until Bartlett was available as he was a genuine improvement on him.

I do think Cartman has a history of being a little loose lipped on Twitter as well.

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:47 am

I like Cartman but if we want to progress up the leagues then at some point players that have helped to get us to where we are now will have to be replaced by players able to take us to the next level. Gray has a history of doing this and isn't afraid to do what is required and if that means replacing a fans favourite then that is what will happen. Its a ruthless business is football, especially when we are a progressive club and although I personally will miss Cartman, I do feel that this is the maximum level that he can play at and for this football club and Martin Gray that isn't what is required.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:01 am

Cartman is a good Conference North player, but if we are looking to challenge for a top spot, then we need to upgrade certain positions and I'm afraid Nathan has been overtaken by other players. I'm sure Nathan wants regular first team football and he'll have to go elsewhere to get it. You can't have sentiment in football if you want to succeed.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:27 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Cartman is a good Conference North player, but if we are looking to challenge for a top spot, then we need to upgrade certain positions and I'm afraid Nathan has been overtaken by other players. I'm sure Nathan wants regular first team football and he'll have to go elsewhere to get it. You can't have sentiment in football if you want to succeed.
I agree with Pete! There, I've said it!

In every way Cartman has been great over the last few years, but now seems to be getting muscled out of games by the big beast defenders that inhabit this league. And apart from all this, isn't he just going out on loan?
princes town wrote: There are too few players like him at this level who can turn games.
Ferguson/Syers/Gillies/Thompson - they can all do it.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:35 am

princes town wrote: For me, Cartman is one of the best players at the club. There are too few players like him at this level who can turn games.
What shite.

The likes of Thompson and Gillies are the types of players who can turn a game around.

Cartman is a good player, but he's a forward who doesn't score enough goals at this level. We had defenders and midfielders who scored more than him last season.

People are way over egging "Carts".

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

piggy

Post by piggy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:07 am

Quakerz wrote:
princes town wrote: For me, Cartman is one of the best players at the club. There are too few players like him at this level who can turn games.
What shite.

The likes of Thompson and Gillies are the types of players who can turn a game around.

Cartman is a good player, but he's a forward who doesn't score enough goals at this level. We had defenders and midfielders who scored more than him last season.

Bit like you did with Brodie.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:26 am

Well, as he never signed for us then we'll never know how he would have done for Darlo would we?

Even I wouldn't sign the cherry cheeked waster after the latest snub.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:42 am

Football moves on but he has been a big part of our recent success. He is a decent player who has stepped up to every challenge in his time here, has adapted his game away from being the focal point of the attack of a smaller team to be a bigger team player here and seems to be a really decent bloke and for that reason I will be sorry to see Cartman leave.

Football is a, however, a ruthless and hard business with no room for sentiment. If the manager thinks he has better on the books then people leave.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:43 pm

Quakerz wrote:
What shite.

Personally think Gillies has been even more disappointing at this level. And I think Cartman, in a side more suited to his game, would score goals at this level. A lot of our attacking play is based around set-pieces - corners, free-kicks and Brownie's exocets - hence why our defenders/midfielders score a decent amount. Plus Galbraith takes the penalties. At least he bows out with Goal of the Season under his belt.

Mario

Post by Mario » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:40 pm

He looked a bit down at the end of the game at Salford, stood outside the changing rooms.

He's been a great servant to Darlo, but with Caton now signed I don't think Carts would get many starts.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:54 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
What shite.

Personally think Gillies has been even more disappointing at this level. And I think Cartman, in a side more suited to his game, would score goals at this level. A lot of our attacking play is based around set-pieces - corners, free-kicks and Brownie's exocets - hence why our defenders/midfielders score a decent amount. Plus Galbraith takes the penalties. At least he bows out with Goal of the Season under his belt.
Got to admit, I think Gillies has blown hot and cold - certainly in the 2nd half of last season.

He can be magnificent but has had a lot of games where he doesn't appear to have done much.

What I would say though is that Gillies, at his best, has undoubted quality which surpasses this division. But I would like to see him deliver on a more consistent basis.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:22 pm

Cartman - A decent player when the formation is 4-4-2. When asked to play as part of a 4-3-3, the system simply doesn't suit him. Great an holding up the ball and turning, getting into little pockets of space.

Gillies - Loves the summer. Started off last year so well, then went through a bad period (in winter - could be the heavier pitches), then improved a bit towards the back end of the season. Has looked back to his old self in pre-season (summer!)

bga

Post by bga » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:46 pm

D_F_C wrote:Cartman - A decent player when the formation is 4-4-2. When asked to play as part of a 4-3-3, the system simply doesn't suit him. Great an holding up the ball and turning, getting into little pockets of space.

Gillies - Loves the summer. Started off last year so well, then went through a bad period (in winter - could be the heavier pitches), then improved a bit towards the back end of the season. Has looked back to his old self in pre-season (summer!)
Easy with Gillies then, employ a Team Psychologist and convince him it is a 9 month summer. :roll:
I agree with Gramps assessment of him.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:54 pm

The way the weather is it`s never summer in this country

feethams

Post by feethams » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:03 am

I'd personally keep Carts, at least until the new forwards we've brought in find their feet with the club. If anything goes tits up with them, we still have Carts.

Some of the players we've brought in to play upfront over the last 2-3 seasons haven't always been exactly what they said on the tin and have quickly moved out - at least we know what we've got with Cartman.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:36 am

feethams wrote:I'd personally keep Carts, at least until the new forwards we've brought in find their feet with the club. If anything goes tits up with them, we still have Carts.

Some of the players we've brought in to play upfront over the last 2-3 seasons haven't always been exactly what they said on the tin and have quickly moved out - at least we know what we've got with Cartman.
He's only going out on loan as it stands so if it did all go tits up with all 3 of the new forwards we've brought in (or are reported to have brought in) then we can bring him back.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:07 pm

Just hope that someone remembers to put a clause in his loan that he should not play against us......
Thanks Nathan, for all your efforts, enthusiasm & exuberance plus the occasional brilliant goal! Best of luck this season.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:53 am

I see he was at the game last night, a true supporter.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:11 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I see he was at the game last night, a true supporter.
He is a Halifax fan Pete. He is still being paid by us.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:43 am

I'm sure he's a Darlo fan as well.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:49 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I'm sure he's a Darlo fan as well.
But deep down, he only wants to play and it doesn't help that the ongoing A1 roadworks increase his travelling time. Hope he gets another chance with us else a team nearer to his home. Halifax look in need of a boost so he could be useful for them.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:56 am

According to the Echo Cartman will imminently join an Evo-Prem team on a 28 day Loan. Just looking at options. Could this be Shaw Lane Aqua Force? Would have the budget to add to the squad, based in Yorkshire and his mate and ex darlo - rob Youhill is there too.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks for everything Carts. Hope to see you back IN OUR COLOURS. :roll:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:37 am

joejaques wrote:Thanks for everything Carts. Hope to see you back IN OUR COLOURS. :roll:
I don't think it'll happen.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
joejaques wrote:Thanks for everything Carts. Hope to see you back IN OUR COLOURS. :roll:
I don't think it'll happen.
Given your prediction record Pete, I'll get his name printed on the back of my shirt. :roll:

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:12 pm

JE93 wrote:According to the Echo Cartman will imminently join an Evo-Prem team on a 28 day Loan. Just looking at options. Could this be Shaw Lane Aqua Force? Would have the budget to add to the squad, based in Yorkshire and his mate and ex darlo - rob Youhill is there too.
Rob Youhill is not there anymore he is at Scarborough... But Neil Austin is there oh and they have dropped the Aqua force too...