Work on the pitch has started

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Magical Quakers
Team Supported: Darlington

Work on the pitch has started

Post by Magical Quakers » Wed May 31, 2017 2:07 pm

poppyfield

Re: Work on the pitch has started

Post by poppyfield » Wed May 31, 2017 4:01 pm

Thought we were getting drainage put in?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed May 31, 2017 4:54 pm

poppyfield wrote:Thought we were getting drainage put in?
Might of done it, the picture don't show all the pitch

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:24 pm

When do the worms go in?!

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:33 pm

Loads of coils of six inch pipe up there this morning so probably going in next week.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:41 am

Anyone know if we're getting Bishop style sprinklers put in?

divas

Post by divas » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:52 am

al_quaker wrote:Anyone know if we're getting Bishop style sprinklers put in?
No, money better spent elsewhere.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:44 am

divas wrote:
al_quaker wrote:Anyone know if we're getting Bishop style sprinklers put in?
No, money better spent elsewhere.
Makes sense :thumbup:

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:13 pm

I must admit I was concerned when I saw the pics of the pitch 8 days ago but I'm amazed to see the latest photos and how green it looks already and still weeks to go until it's played on!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:17 am

Good stuff. I really hope it lasts and that we get the money raised for the stand asap.

As crap as the pitch was last year, it wasn't that that stopped us being promoted. I really hope we haven't just spent a lot of money on something that is going to be chewed up very quickly by the rugby team.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:15 pm

H1987 wrote:Good stuff. I really hope it lasts and that we get the money raised for the stand asap.

As crap as the pitch was last year, it wasn't that that stopped us being promoted. I really hope we haven't just spent a lot of money on something that is going to be chewed up very quickly by the rugby team.
What like it got chewed up last season??

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:03 pm

Having a flatter surface will provide more options for attacking play. More scope for ball control, passing and pacy runs.

All Darlo players should benefit with a more predictable bounce at home games.

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:37 pm

The bounce worked out once or twice! Remember the Turnbull volley? Bounced up perfect

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:09 pm

I think having a far better pitch will be more advantageous to our home form, as the pitch last season reduced our home field advantage.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:09 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:Having a flatter surface will provide more options for attacking play. More scope for ball control, passing and pacy runs.

All Darlo players should benefit with a more predictable bounce at home games.
Will the bounce not be as predictable for opponents?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:55 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
H1987 wrote:Good stuff. I really hope it lasts and that we get the money raised for the stand asap.

Errr.... you know the a pitch like the one we've just put in is far more likely to chew up that the old one with longer grass, don't you? Especially if you put big lads playing Rugby on it. It's not exactly an unheard of problem in shared stadiums.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:43 pm

H1987 wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Errr.... you know the a pitch like the one we've just put in is far more likely to chew up that the old one with longer grass, don't you? Especially if you put big lads playing Rugby on it. It's not exactly an unheard of problem in shared stadiums.
What is difference in the new pitch compared to the old, apart from being flatter and better drained

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:44 pm

ex-exile

Post by ex-exile » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:47 pm

Once the grass has established it will be a mixture that wears well for both sports played on it.Seed mixtures have improved greatly over the last 20 years.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:42 pm

Aye, it'll be a different type of grass, I would expect denser and shorter. Great for playing football on, not so great with heavy lads making big tackles on it and with longer rugby studs.

Think of how the field at Wembley ends up after the NFL, for example.... extreme example of course, but the surface at Wembley is up there with one of the best in the world, and even they have problems with it cutting up. The long stuff we had last season, while horrible for having the ball on the deck, didn't really cut up too much. It'll be interesting to see the contrast.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:37 pm

H1987 wrote:Aye, it'll be a different type of grass, I would expect denser and shorter. Great for playing football on, not so great with heavy lads making big tackles on it and with longer rugby studs.

Think of how the field at Wembley ends up after the NFL, for example.... extreme example of course, but the surface at Wembley is up there with one of the best in the world, and even they have problems with it cutting up. The long stuff we had last season, while horrible for having the ball on the deck, didn't really cut up too much. It'll be interesting to see the contrast.
Think you are missing what is being said. The seed / grass mix on the pitch is deliberately chosen so that it will work for rugby / football. It is not the wembley pitch which is specifically maintained for football so would be expected to cut up if football isn't played on it.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:39 am

lo36789 wrote:
H1987 wrote:Aye, it'll be a different type of grass, I would expect denser and shorter. Great for playing football on, not so great with heavy lads making big tackles on it and with longer rugby studs.

Think you are missing what is being said. The seed / grass mix on the pitch is deliberately chosen so that it will work for rugby / football. It is not the wembley pitch which is specifically maintained for football so would be expected to cut up if football isn't played on it.
I certainly hope you're right, but nigh on every football pitch that is used with rugby cuts up to some extent. I'm thinking Wigan, Hull (and League is slightly kinder than Union due to lack of scrums). Wycombes has cut up badly recently too.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:10 am

At least we have had decent growing weather for grass, judging by the rate my lawn needs cutting. Just hope it is mature enough for when the games get started. Does anyone know if the drains got sorted at the same time?

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:56 pm

Apparently the pitch won't be ready for the first two home games Gainsborough won't agree to switch the Wednesday night game but Alfreton have agreed to reverse the Saturday game.
So 4 away games to start the season , on the positive side the last time this happened back in the 80s we got promoted with 4 draws but it's 3 points for a win now.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:37 am

Sorry, are you saying that the Gainsborough game has been officially postponed and the Alfreton game officially switched to an away game?

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:54 am

roadrunner wrote:Apparently the pitch won't be ready for the first two home games Gainsborough won't agree to switch the Wednesday night game but Alfreton have agreed to reverse the Saturday game.
So 4 away games to start the season , on the positive side the last time this happened back in the 80s we got promoted with 4 draws but it's 3 points for a win now.
Yea seen that, maybe we could play that one at the Arena or our friends at Spenny could help us out, disappointing but if the pitch needs a couple of more weeks so be it.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:25 am

roadrunner wrote:Apparently the pitch won't be ready for the first two home games Gainsborough won't agree to switch the Wednesday night game but Alfreton have agreed to reverse the Saturday game.
So today almost a week later ,on the home page the games against Gainsborough and Alfreton at home are unchanged :problem: .Where have you got your information from?

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:39 am

Emdubya wrote:
So today almost a week later ,on the home page the games against Gainsborough and Alfreton at home are unchanged :problem: .Where have you got your information from?
Keeping it all hush,hush I suppose just like Steve McLaren been back at the club last week.

darlosince65

Post by darlosince65 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:46 pm

roadrunner wrote:
Emdubya wrote:
Keeping it all hush,hush I suppose just like Steve McLaren been back at the club last week.
Some people jus't can't be happy unless they are just stirring up the s*** with rumours and more rumours.

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:05 am