No match thread!

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

don'tbuythesun
Team Supported: Darlington

No match thread!

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:50 pm

Don't think I've ever seen that before. Listened on the radio and it sounded exciting, imagine that was your child's first game. Any idea of the crowd? So good to get 6 points on the board and can't wait to get to Southport and Chorley.

tdk1

Re: No match thread!

Post by tdk1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:57 pm

Think it was about 1660 - not bad for midweek

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:58 pm

1692 I think.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:59 pm

Thanks that's pretty decent.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:10 pm

Told the pitch looked good

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:16 pm

Apart from the massive divert Browny put in it in the 1st half... Not as bobbly thank God...

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:31 pm

Despite a class goal from Galbraith & neat header Beck, some poor stuff on show. Too much space and slack marking allowed Trinity to score the first goal, then come back from 3-1 down to equalise. Very little trace of method apart from relying on flicks on from Beck which usually ended up giving them the ball back. Needs a lot of work and Gray to get things sorted, especially at the back. Still enough to take the points, so it could have been so much worse. :thumbup:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:51 pm

Brown MOTM despite us letting in three. Not sure what to make of that, but it sounds like on tonight's showing our defence still needs work - as was clear at the end of last season.

Still, we kept a clean sheet at Salford so perhaps an off day.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:01 pm

For me the only worse player than Brown tonight was Collins, says it all really. Shocking positional sense, shocking in the air and shocking distribution. Yes we won and yes I'm probably going a bit over the top, but we haven't learnt anything from last season. What exactly does Gregan do if he can't organise the defence better.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:09 pm

I disagree regarding Collins? I felt he won his headers, blocked well and only made around two or three passes that went astray (as expected from CB's at this level). He generally played on the front foot and seemed defensively disciplined.

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:10 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:For me the only worse player than Brown tonight was Collins, says it all really. Shocking positional sense, shocking in the air and shocking distribution. Yes we won and yes I'm probably going a bit over the top, but we haven't learnt anything from last season. What exactly does Gregan do if he can't organise the defence better.
Here's me thinking our 2 CB's played ok?

We kept getting caught out down our right side... Gillies didn't assist Hunter. That's where the issue was tonight.

Anyway, 6 points in 2 game. I'll take that any day
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:14 pm

They played the long ball and if anyone was counting I suspect their forwards won more headers than our centre halfs. We let 3 goals in against a poor side and Brown still gets man of the match, it makes no sense at all. Of the defenders only Tez came out with any semblance of respectability.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:24 pm

I thought they played some decent stuff going forward. Their runners off the centre forward where better than ours, and they were more inventive. Thankfully, they were worse defensively than us. Thought Bartlett was pretty ropey tonight. If that had been Jameson...........Caton should have had a couple but lacked a bit of composure and Harvey should have had one, had he taken it first time. Good to think we can win and score 4, when we haven't played well.

Oh, and someone needs to tell Gillies it's still summer. Thought he was hibernating until his goal. Can't see the point of him on the right. He's all left foot, to an alarming degree.

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:28 pm

Was near the dugouts tonight and I've got to say watching their management team was probably more entertaining than the game. They were absolutely bananas, assistant referee never got a break from a barrage of insults.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:32 pm

Agree with you about Bartlett tonight. However the difference between him and Jameson on tonight's performance is that Bartlett came out positively when the ball was getting played through, if that had been Jameson he would have dithered and allowed the forward to get a shot away. I liked Pete in goal, but his decision making at times really let him down.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:44 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:For me the only worse player than Brown tonight was Collins, says it all really. Shocking positional sense, shocking in the air and shocking distribution. Yes we won and yes I'm probably going a bit over the top, but we haven't learnt anything from last season. What exactly does Gregan do if he can't organise the defence better.
What game were u watching Collins had a decent game won a few headers made acouple of good tackles, no cover with hunter were the problem... According to Twitter Browny owes Gillies a beer or 2 for getting him out the do do...

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:49 pm

No you're right our defence was solid tonight, we only let in the three goals against a side who will be bottom half this season.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:48 am

Darlo_Rob wrote:No you're right our defence was solid tonight, we only let in the three goals against a side who will be bottom half this season.
Think you're being a bit harsh. Collins in particular looked good at times to me, certainly a step up from last season. Yes mistakes were made and yes improvements need to be made.

But we're not going to be brilliant every match, particularly early in the season. In fact I'd be concerned if we were at top form in August. As my wife says, don't peak too early.

Whether we won 1-0, 5-0, 4-3 or 10-6, what matters is that we won. On to Alfreton.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:12 am

Gainsborough ,were very quick got nearly all first balls played some good football ,stuck to the task well, Darlington came out on top with more quality.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:15 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Darlo_Rob wrote:No you're right our defence was solid tonight, we only let in the three goals against a side who will be bottom half this season.
Think you're being a bit harsh. Collins in particular looked good at times to me, certainly a step up from last season. Yes mistakes were made and yes improvements need to be made.

But we're not going to be brilliant every match, particularly early in the season. In fact I'd be concerned if we were at top form in August. As my wife says, don't peak too early.

Whether we won 1-0, 5-0, 4-3 or 10-6, what matters is that we won. On to Alfreton.
Actually if we win every game by 1 goal I'll be quite satisfied as it means we are not spending any more money than we need to on unnecessarily good players. They're all just the right amount better than the opposition! :thumbup:
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:29 am

You're right that winning the match is the most important thing, but I'm just worried the defensive mistakes we made last year haven't been addressed. it is however only one match and from the reports the defence were excellent on Saturday, so let's hope it's just a blip. My worry is that the goals we gave away last night were similar to the ones we gave away last year.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:30 am

Darlo Fonz wrote:

We kept getting caught out down our right side... Gillies didn't assist Hunter. That's where the issue was tonight.

Agreed, Gillies not tight enough & no surprise when he was subbed just after he scored. Hunter repeatedly left exposed which Trinity exploited with some great crosses, hence all the goals. Brown doing his bit with last ditch tackles whilst Collins still finding his place. Nobody in midfield able to win the ball & keep possession or cover for back 4. No improvement on last season's long punt. Only good thing was no heads dropped despite going behind and also losing a 2 goal lead, then snatching the winner.
Teams more professional than Trinity won't give us the chances to come back

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:34 am

What was the shape like last night? Same as Saturday?

I assume we approached Salford in a more conservative manner and the players, wingers in particular, may have been asked to be a little more defensive minded.

Maybe it was just a case last night that Gray asked the likes of Gillies and Syers to play with a bit more attacking freedom and as a result the defence was more exposed.

DC

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:35 am

I think give some credit to the opposition. I live in Lincolnshire so hear the news about Gainsborough and Dave Frecklington came in at the back end of last season to kick them up the arse. He's strengthened well, but they actually have some of the best forwards in the division. Jarman is very good for this level. Going back to what Darlo James said, Johnno of Salford is mild compared to Frecklington. Just watch some of his You Tube interviews. I wouldn't spill his pint.
Going back to our errors, I agree that same issues as last season remain I.e. Shape when our 'wing backs' come forward. Trinity had obviously done their homework on us and it's when teams hit us on the break (which seems to be more of a trend in football - not just us. More away wins these days). The good news is that we're only two games in, so plenty of time to work on any issues, and reserves top of the league. Wonder if they're eligible for promotion to the Northern League.
Last edited by Vodka_Vic on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:41 am

Maybe we should set up as if every match is an away game. We wouldn't get our money's worth like we did last night though. It would however help my heart rate and nails.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:56 am

jjljks wrote:
Darlo Fonz wrote:

Agreed, Gillies not tight enough & no surprise when he was subbed just after he scored. Hunter repeatedly left exposed which Trinity exploited with some great crosses, hence all the goals. Brown doing his bit with last ditch tackles whilst Collins still finding his place. Nobody in midfield able to win the ball & keep possession or cover for back 4. No improvement on last season's long punt. Only good thing was no heads dropped despite going behind and also losing a 2 goal lead, then snatching the winner.
Teams more professional than Trinity won't give us the chances to come back
I thought that in the first half we played some good football, especially down the left hand sidewhere Fergusen had loads of room...Also thought Gillies had a good first half.
In my opinion we struggled when we went 3...1 up. Their midfiel broke at pace to help out the forwards.
Our midfield lost concentration, Gillies in particular....Thought both Centre Backs did ok but we need to give them help when opposition midfielders run at them like they did last night.
Great crowd for a midweek game as well..Looking forward to Saturday.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:04 am

Overall a disappointing performance, but at the end of the day the result is all that matters. The atmosphere was pretty flat until the last few minutes. Do you think Galbraith meant to score, I think it was a cross that got lucky?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:06 am

Sorry just seen on the official site that Tex admits it was a cross that went in, good on him for admitting ir.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:11 am

Although we are not entirely the outright favourites for the title this season, we are always seen as a big scalp and 'lesser' teams will raise their game against us. Last night was no different and we were not clinical enough to close out the game professionally. We lost too many points with this attitude last season and although it's only the 2nd match it does slightly bother me that the same mistakes seem to have been made.

However, we were the right side of a 4-3 and I guess the 3pts are what matters! :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:37 am

jjljks wrote:Despite a class goal from Galbraith & neat header Beck, some poor stuff on show. Too much space and slack marking allowed Trinity to score the first goal, then come back from 3-1 down to equalise. Very little trace of method apart from relying on flicks on from Beck which usually ended up giving them the ball back. Needs a lot of work and Gray to get things sorted, especially at the back. Still enough to take the points, so it could have been so much worse. :thumbup:
A fair assessment. Entertaining game but not one for the purist.