Match thread?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Match thread?

Post by poppyfield » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:50 pm

Excellent performance today, for those who stayed away just because of a bit Darlo drizzle.
You missed a corker :thumbup:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:01 pm

poppyfield wrote:Excellent performance today, for those who stayed away just because of a bit Darlo drizzle.
You missed a corker :thumbup:
And it will happen In Nov and Dec and Jan and Feb it's the nature of the beast I'm afraid

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:03 pm

Regarding the pitch, there are certain areas that are visible where the grass hasn't quite fully come through although during the game with a lot of rain I felt the pitch held up very, very well.

I'm sure that a 7 day break will do it good also. Hopefully the weather is kind and it will look even better next Saturday.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:10 pm

Very impressed with James Caton. One goal, one assist and the other 2 goals scored from his crosses.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:26 pm

jjljks wrote:
The_Ozzman_Cometh wrote:Crowd attendance:1547
Bit disappointing given 3 wins, 10 goals and back in town. Possibly some folk on holiday still, as quite a few empty seats in the new stand? Either that or Darlo fans have no friends ;)
Given that is lashed it down from 2pm - and the lack of cover at BM - I am not surprised at the attendance.

The gate was still +200 up on the same fixture from last season (at a similar time of year with much better weather).

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:54 pm

If we continue playing like we did today the crowds will surely pick up our best home performance for a while

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:58 pm

I'm going to have naughty thoughts about Ferguson tonight. He's too good for this level. How he didn't get MOM is beyond me. In the current market, he must be worth £30M. Lol.

defence still causes palpitations. But last year, this team hit 4 in the same game. So I'm looking St the pluses.

I'm not his biggest fan. But Syers played very very well today.

Early days, but we're looking alright again. Tuesday is a big test

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:59 pm

Spyman wrote:Really didn't think that would need explaining - are you spen in disguise?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
No if you read back I was merely correcting the guy who quoted that we had scored 6 goals in our 2 home matches, when it is actually 8. Geez, little things hey, but I guess the bottom line is we are scoring plenty at the moment! :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:08 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Spyman wrote:Really didn't think that would need explaining - are you spen in disguise?

No if you read back I was merely correcting the guy who quoted that we had scored 6 goals in our 2 home matches, when it is actually 8. Geez, little things hey, but I guess the bottom line is we are scoring plenty at the moment! Image
Nobody said we'd scored 6 goals in 2 home matches.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:45 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Very impressed with James Caton. One goal, one assist and the other 2 goals scored from his crosses.
Caton had a great game, he's quick, has an interesting repertoire of tricks, and great attitude. Also he seems to be the a good foil to the way Beck plays. Together they could make a great partnership.

To those upset about the absence of Cartman, I would ask this question. Would he have made the same impact today as Caton did????
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

DarloPeGi

Post by DarloPeGi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:47 pm

Apart from the opening 30 seconds or so, I thought we played great today. We look 'full' of goals performing like that.

It would be nice if we could get regular crowds over 2000 but it appears some 'fans' in the Town still need convincing before they return. The weather didn't help just prior to kick off and it is holiday season too for others but hopefully we can increase the attendance as the season progresses

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:05 pm

Perhaps 2 X £14 in three days knocked a few back.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:11 pm

3/3 Wins and 9 pts on the board. Can't ask for a better start.

Oh, and Hartlepool lost again. What a week!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:24 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Perhaps 2 X £14 in three days knocked a few back.
Nail on head maybe in the future they could do a deal if there are 2 home games in 4 days buy both games for £25 only a suggestion

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:43 pm

I thought Gainsborough the other night were a much better side than Alfreton who were there for the taking. Either that or we made Alfreton look very ordinary, but I felt that Gainsborough made us work much harder.
Whenever Darlington went forward they always looked likely to score and if some of our shots hadn't been blocked at the last moment we would have had more. Alfreton couldn't hit a barn door with their opportunities and left as a well beaten side.
Also if that was Darlington drizzle at the start, I dread to think what a Darlington downpour is.
Anyway we saw Darlington dazzle today.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:13 pm

jjljks wrote:
Bit disappointing given 3 wins, 10 goals and back in town. Possibly some folk on holiday still, as quite a few empty seats in the new stand? Either that or Darlo fans have no friends ;)
Heavy rain started about 1 hour before the game and continued until drizzle arrived just before KO, so 300-500 missing folk was not a surprise. Tin Shed had louds of room (& noise), so the weather wasn't any issue for the large majority of fans.

The game started at high pace from Alfreton and as a result their goal came after at least 2 darlo player slipping in the puddles.

The surface drained quickly and Darlo soon got their Mojo going.

Alfreton had a few good players, but Darlo had 11, who played forcefully with both an aerial and a flanking game.

At half time Alfreton looked tired and Darlo improved their possession in the second half and dominated more and more.

Darlington were unlucky to only bag 4 goals, with their very high quality service.

The visiting directors were reported to be distraught after the match. Must have had some heavy bets go down.

I queried about availability of the empty seats and Steve Rees (the seat allocation volunteer) told me all are paid for and anyone can sit in them if their season ticket holders aren't attending.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:28 pm

DarloPeGi wrote:Apart from the opening 30 seconds or so, I thought we played great today. We look 'full' of goals performing like that.

It would be nice if we could get regular crowds over 2000 but it appears some 'fans' in the Town still need convincing before they return. The weather didn't help just prior to kick off and it is holiday season too for others but hopefully we can increase the attendance as the season progresses
I met 2 VERY loyal fans of the past in the bar pre-match who were home and away stalwarts who had fallen out of love with Darlo in the Reynolds era. One of them had not missed any games for over 10 years prior to the death of Feethams.

A win at York will definitely attract many new and disenchanted fans to Blackwell Meadows. The nearer we get to Poolie the more the ex fans will return.

Considering Darlo are only 3 games in, there was some very attractive & slick play today. I suggest a "kids go free game" is needed soon to get more new fans hooked.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:37 pm

dickdarlington wrote:I'm going to have naughty thoughts about Ferguson tonight. He's too good for this level. How he didn't get MOM is beyond me. In the current market, he must be worth £30M. Lol.

defence still causes palpitations. But last year, this team hit 4 in the same game. So I'm looking St the pluses.

I'm not his biggest fan. But Syers played very very well today.

Early days, but we're looking alright again. Tuesday is a big test
In my view from behind the Alfreton goal Beck, Caton, Ferguson, Brown and Gillies were all valid candidates for the MOM, but really it was a great whole team performance.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:56 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Perhaps 2 X £14 in three days knocked a few back.
Nail on head maybe in the future they could do a deal if there are 2 home games in 4 days buy both games for £25 only a suggestion
Seems a pragmatic suggestion. May be one worth suggesting to the club?

Always have to be careful when doing any offer that you don't put season ticket holders 'out of pocket'. Assuming ST holders still get 2 games free a season this would need to happen 10 times to risk doing that.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:48 am

Makka Pakka wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Didn't help it lashing down between 2 and 3pm.
Exactly, the heavens opened up at around 2pm, could have knocked 400 to 500 off the crowd. I thought given the per match conditions a crowd of 1547 was excellent. Thought the pitch stood up really well to the trying conditions.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:37 am

lo36789 wrote:Ferguson and Gillies joint top scorers in the league. It's a good job we keep signing strikers :)
Think they are joint second. A Brackley guy scored 4 today (5 in total). He bagged all 4 in the last 20 mins.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:22 am

Haha I realised that later on. I think I looked before the final whistle...oops.