how was it for you

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

norwich darlo
Team Supported: Darlington

how was it for you

Post by norwich darlo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:33 am

Watched the highlights from wed and the pitch looked ok. but what about the other ground Improvements any change ? any better?.

feethams

Re: how was it for you

Post by feethams » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:52 am

Pitch looked great for the stands, and seemed ok for playing decent passing football on - but on a few occasions huge clumps would get kicked up, or if someone went for a slide tackle it would really churn up. No idea what will happen once the rugby starts being played on it.

Ground was the same as far as I could tell. Nice to see a few new sponsor boards appearing.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:16 am

Having the dugouts recessed outside the line of the perimeter fence has massively improved the view of the playing area from the clubhouse side. Money well spent.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:50 am

I've not heard much mentioned about the improvements at BM - I guess it's a case of people will moan if there's something they don't like but won't comment if everything is satisfactory so I'm taking that as people were happy. From what I could see the following improvements have been made which for me gave the place a much more complete feel.

• Dugouts moved back and AstroTurf technical area
• Seats raised and fencing height re-adjusted
• Grassing of the area to the side of the Seated stands and paved emergency exits - this has smartened up that side no end.
• Floodlight repositioned and stand foundations put in. It's great to see some tangible evidence of what will be there - I think it'll look great once complete

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:00 am

Noticed some of the shorter people in the front row of the seats had their feet dangling in the air. Don't know if there is a step planned to go there.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:23 pm

Can't make midweek games, but interested to see how the pitch fares. From the highlights, a few clumps came up... That is not promising... It's a long old season ahead, and once rugby is being played on it too... :oops:

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:50 pm

H1987 wrote:Can't make midweek games, but interested to see how the pitch fares. From the highlights, a few clumps came up... That is not promising... It's a long old season ahead, and once rugby is being played on it too... :oops:
Just because the season has started it doesn't mean that the grass has stopped growing and the root system stopped developing. Grass will only stop growing when temperatures fall below 6 deg C. New lawns can be sown very successfully in September because there is more moisture retained in the soil and the temperatures still well above 6 deg C - albeit not for playing football on.

Try being a little bit more optimistic for a change instead of looking for problems.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:21 pm

Oh i'm aware it can keep growing well up until October given the mild few winters we have had recently, but the issue is going to be the at least weekly football or rugby match on it, which is bound to undo much progress.

Secretspy

Post by Secretspy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Unless the dreaded watermain is outside the playing area the new stand foundation slab is over the pipe. I thought we were avoiding building over this main?

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:02 pm

Secretspy wrote:Unless the dreaded watermain is outside the playing area the new stand foundation slab is over the pipe. I thought we were avoiding building over this main?
No it isn't

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:54 pm

Pipe is the other side of the stand. We would be able to build another stand next to the tinshed before hitting it. It stops us building one for about 25-30 yards next to the existing seating stand (on the side where the foundations are not, there's nothing to stop us building all the way to the corner there).

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:13 pm

H1987 wrote:Oh i'm aware it can keep growing well up until October given the mild few winters we have had recently, but the issue is going to be the at least weekly football or rugby match on it, which is bound to undo much progress.
Rugby Club not playing until late September early October.

Secretspy

Post by Secretspy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:38 pm

H1987 wrote:Pipe is the other side of the stand. We would be able to build another stand next to the tinshed before hitting it. It stops us building one for about 25-30 yards next to the existing seating stand (on the side where the foundations are not, there's nothing to stop us building all the way to the corner there).
Thanks for the information. I assumed that the pipe only cut off the corner of the pitch whereas your advice is that it runs from somewhere near the goal in the away end down past the current seated stand over the half-way line and exits the playing surface between the current seated stand and the tinshed if I understand you correctly.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:46 pm

Second half we stood at the top of the grass bank was expecting to get moved but not a bad view