Cartman available for loan

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

real_darlo_85
Team Supported: Darlington

Cartman available for loan

Post by real_darlo_85 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:44 pm

...according to the Echo. No surprise really given the new attacking signings we have made during the summer.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

QUAKERMAN2

Re: Cartman available for loan

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:50 pm

Someone posted recently that 4 would be leaving so just wonder who the other one is after Jameson, Wearmouth and Nathan.Could be Marrs in seeing as we have just added Richards

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:54 pm

Must be a defender, like you say, we've just signed Richards and Heaton I guess will come in once fit. We'll be massively overloaded in that department.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:01 pm

Brad Groves to come in with 20k for him to reduce the amount needed for the seats. This is wishful speculation by the way.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:04 pm

Massive shame.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:19 pm

I see that Blyth lost both their forwards at Alfreton on Saturday.. They are now looking for replacements, could do worse than loan Cartman..
Just me speculating though

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:52 pm

My opinion wrote:I see that Blyth lost both their forwards at Alfreton on Saturday.. They are now looking for replacements, could do worse than loan Cartman..
Blyth is a long way from Halifax for training

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:53 pm

lo36789 wrote:
My opinion wrote:I see that Blyth lost both their forwards at Alfreton on Saturday.. They are now looking for replacements, could do worse than loan Cartman..
Blyth is a long way from Halifax for training
It's a long way from Halifax for everything!

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

bga

Post by bga » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:56 pm

AndyPark wrote:Massive shame.
Massive understatement! Cartman the goal scoring machine we signed was brilliant, Cartman the player the club turned him into, far less effective in my view. I'll leave others to decide whether we got the best out of him in his two & a half years with us. I think he is worth less now (i.e. how much a club would pay for him) than when we bought him, so I don't see that we have developed him as a player. Let the debate begin......................

bga

Post by bga » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:59 pm

Meant to say thanks Carts for giving us so many great moments and your endless energy. Good luck.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:08 pm

Cartman is technically very good, and will be top scorer for a side at Step 3 or below. Goal-scoring record wasn't what was hoped after such a good 15/16, I think he ended up with 8 in 41 (4 in 25 starts), but the NPL to NLN is a big step-up. Good-luck to wherever he goes on loan.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:12 pm

I've never made up my mind about Cartman.
We signed an absolute goal machine who stopped scoring so much when we bought him, but was that due to the way we played?
On the plus side, his link up play was excellent and he almost played as an attacking midfielder rather than a forward. Also, his determination and work rate was second to none.
On the minus side, I just felt that he missed too many chances, particularly half chances, and didn't seem to have a particularly hard shot on him for a forward.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:16 pm

bga wrote:
AndyPark wrote:Massive shame.
Massive understatement! Cartman the goal scoring machine we signed was brilliant, Cartman the player the club turned him into, far less effective in my view. I'll leave others to decide whether we got the best out of him in his two & a half years with us. I think he is worth less now (i.e. how much a club would pay for him) than when we bought him, so I don't see that we have developed him as a player. Let the debate begin......................
We seem to have a knack for signing strikers who have been excellent for their former clubs and for whatever reason they can't replicate the same form/development with us. Chris Senior and Lee Gaskell spring to mind in this respect.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:16 pm

He joined us from a team where all their attacking play centred around him, and had to come here and fit into a system that wasn't built for him.

Last season he played less and Beck picked up the goalscoring, but he adapted and his work rate was excellent even if he wasn't getting the goalscoring chances he had at a lower level.

A fans favourite and a vital part of our progression but ultimately he's not as influential at this level as the one below. Hopefully the new players will be a step forward.

Last edited by Spyman on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:24 pm

Cartman is a weird one. He is a very good link up player but the higher we have got the more I feel he struggles with the physicality. At the same time a great impact sub even at a higher level potentially.

Farsley Celtic would be a good move for him. They are NPLPD now they have just lost Lewis Nightingale to Everton (as a coach) so may have some spare budget. Who knows Halifax could see him as a good back up striker...

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:27 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:We seem to have a knack for signing strikers who have been excellent for their former clubs and for whatever reason they can't replicate the same form/development with us...Lee Gaskell spring to mind in this respect.
That is nonsense. Gaskell was a bit of an unknown for us if anything he proved to be better than expected. He has since returned to a considerably lower level than the performances we were able to get from him.

The expectation on Cartman at Darlington is very different to what it was at Harrogate RA. Just look at the respective league positions of both clubs today's less than 3 years since we signed him.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:29 pm

lo36789 wrote:
real_darlo_85 wrote:We seem to have a knack for signing strikers who have been excellent for their former clubs and for whatever reason they can't replicate the same form/development with us...Lee Gaskell spring to mind in this respect.
That is nonsense. Gaskell was a bit of an unknown for us if anything he proved to be better than expected. He has since returned to a considerably lower level than the performances we were able to get from him.

The expectation on Cartman at Darlington is very different to what it was at Harrogate RA. Just look at the respective league positions of both clubs today's less than 3 years since we signed him.
Also, didn't Chris Senior step up a division when he joined us? Can't remember.

Cartman has been superb for us, as was Gaskell.

DC

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:41 pm

System we played last season didn't suit him. Played out wide too much. Like Andy Johnson before him, Gray seemed to want to change what had previously made them successful. Cartman tried to adapt, and his touch and link up play was excellent, and you can't fault his effort. Sincerely hope he bags a hatful wherever he ends up. Harrogate or BPA might be interested. I don't think he struggled with the standard last season, just the way he was asked to play.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk[/quote]
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:System we played last season didn't suit him. Played out wide too much. Like Andy Johnson before him, Gray seemed to want to change what had previously made them successful. Cartman tried to adapt, and his touch and link up play was excellent, and you can't fault his effort. Sincerely hope he bags a hatful wherever he ends up. Harrogate or BPA might be interested. I don't think he struggled with the standard last season, just the way he was asked to play.
Spot on Harry. Sounds so far that the jury is still out! There were numerous comments on here last season about how superb Carts was in certain games. That appears to contradict those who suggest NLN might be a level too high for him.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:55 pm

bga wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:System we played last season didn't suit him. Played out wide too much. Like Andy Johnson before him, Gray seemed to want to change what had previously made them successful. Cartman tried to adapt, and his touch and link up play was excellent, and you can't fault his effort. Sincerely hope he bags a hatful wherever he ends up. Harrogate or BPA might be interested. I don't think he struggled with the standard last season, just the way he was asked to play.
Spot on Harry. Sounds so far that the jury is still out! There were numerous comments on here last season about how superb Carts was in certain games. That appears to contradict those who suggest NLN might be a level too high for him.
I guess the issue is that if he doesn't fit the system the money is better spent on a player who does - doesn't mean Cartman isn't competitive in the right system, but equally is he that good that you'd build a forward line around him at this level?

Last edited by Spyman on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

DC

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Cartman is perfectly adequate at this level and I'm sure he'll go and score plenty wherever he ends up. He was a very good upgrade for the forwards we had when we signed him and was much more clinical but as we've gone up there's been a noticeable step up in quality. As others have said his game has developed so much since he's been here and he's not just the goal scorer he maybe once was.

As ever MG doesn't just look for players that can be effective at this level but also tends to look one step ahead. Whilst Cartman will be perfectly fine at this level will he be a player at his age that's going to go on and play much higher and potentially bag us a hefty fee as someone like a Fewster would who I imagine would be replacing him

bga

Post by bga » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:23 pm

Spyman wrote:
bga wrote:Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I guess the issue is that if he doesn't fit the system the money is better spent on a player who does - doesn't mean Cartman isn't competitive in the right system, but equally is he that good that you'd build a forward line around him at this level?
Your last sentence asks a fair question. I guess none of us really know why MG changed the way he played, offered him a new contract in the summer (didn't he), then decided he was surplus to requirements. I think he was good enough to build a forward line around but what do I know!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk[/quote]

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:26 pm

The lad is class. He's got a great touch. He sees things others don't. He's a proper terrier of a forward, chasing everything. And when played in the right formation, a formidable threat.

For me, he had his best moments last season, when he came off the bench after 60 mins or so. When the opponents defences were tiring and he could find the holes.

I'm sure Gray would be happy to keep him for that reason. But it's not fair on a player who wants game time.

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:39 pm

dickdarlington wrote:The lad is class. He's got a great touch. He sees things others don't. He's a proper terrier of a forward, chasing everything. And when played in the right formation, a formidable threat.

For me, he had his best moments last season, when he came off the bench after 60 mins or so. When the opponents defences were tiring and he could find the holes.

I'm sure Gray would be happy to keep him for that reason. But it's not fair on a player who wants game time.
Saunders has proven he can do this job too, and I'm sure he'll be happier being the super sub. Carts is absolute quality, but with the forwards we have he's no longer the clear cut choice.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:40 pm

dickdarlington wrote:The lad is class. He's got a great touch. He sees things others don't. He's a proper terrier of a forward, chasing everything. And when played in the right formation, a formidable threat.

Gray has decided there are players available better suited to what he wants. That's the long and short of it. You can keep players to give you something extra but you can only have 16 in the squad.

Good point made by Undercovered on Fewster - he potentially has decent resale value and that's vital in our situation. Same could maybe be said about Saunders if he progresses, and maybe Beck also. That's got to play a part.

DC

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:48 pm

piggy

Post by piggy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:45 am

Sorry to see him leave, but must have been expected particularly with the emergence of Saunders.
Someone mentioned us signing strikers who had been prolific at their former clubs but didn't do the business at Darlo- wouldn't place Cartz in that category, but James Walshaw -and for those with a longer memory- Kirk Jackson sprung to mind! Remember Tommy Taylor with the old touche turtle reference after he pulled out of a header in one game!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:11 am

Nice lad and I'm sad to see that his stay at Darlo appears to be coming to an end, but the strikers Gray has brought in mean we are top heavy in strikers and we can't afford to have players in our squad, that won't be able to force their way into the starting 11. Good luck Nathan wherever you end up.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:45 am

He seemed pretty glum when stood on the terraces on Saturday but still acknowledged people. I've enjoyed watching him, always likely to do something, total effort and tough enough too. I remember at Skem when he was slammed into the hoardings and just got on with it- some great comments on his Twitter feed and a brilliant clip of him "challenging" for the ball. Good luck Nathan and thanks!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:22 am

Spot on! Cartman can change a game when our system is not working. Coming off the bench, he creates chances other than the long diagonal up to the head of a big striker. His chasing and winning unlikely balls can throw the opposition & often got us back into games. His ball skills, work ethic and enthusiasm would be greatly missed, not forgetting his commitment off the field, for example picking up the unsold away tickets for the first match back in town. I can think of at least 3 others in the squad who don't deserve to be there & my heart sinks when I see their names on the team sheet ahead of Cartman. Not a wise decision to let Carts go :thumbdown: