You Tube/web site revenue

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

biccynana
Team Supported: Darlington

You Tube/web site revenue

Post by biccynana » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:03 pm

Just wondering about how best to generate revenue (if there is any) for the club from YT or official web site clicks. Anybody have any idea if it’s more profitable for the club if users go straight to the club’s official YT channel or if they click through to it from the DFC web site? And if there is revenue to be made what sort of sums are we talking about?

jjljks

Re: You Tube/web site revenue

Post by jjljks » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:12 am

biccynana wrote:Just wondering about how best to generate revenue (if there is any) for the club from YT or official web site clicks. Anybody have any idea if it’s more profitable for the club if users go straight to the club’s official YT channel or if they click through to it from the DFC web site? And if there is revenue to be made what sort of sums are we talking about?
Pitch Hero should be giving Kev & the club a fee for his images, for a start ;)

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:13 am

biccynana wrote:Just wondering about how best to generate revenue (if there is any) for the club from YT or official web site clicks. Anybody have any idea if it’s more profitable for the club if users go straight to the club’s official YT channel or if they click through to it from the DFC web site? And if there is revenue to be made what sort of sums are we talking about?
Pitch Hero should be giving Kev & the club a fee for his images, for a start ;)

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:39 am

Interesting to see that there are zero links up on the VNL website for video highlights of any of yesterday's games... in any of the three divisions.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:11 am

Mr_Tibbs wrote:Interesting to see that there are zero links up on the VNL website for video highlights of any of yesterday's games... in any of the three divisions.
Don't give them the hits, let's all wait till Monday

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:25 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Mr_Tibbs wrote:Interesting to see that there are zero links up on the VNL website for video highlights of any of yesterday's games... in any of the three divisions.
Don't give them the hits, let's all wait till Monday
Is it just me that doesn't give a fuck about hits? I just want to see the highlights asap. Don't care about spitting the dummy out.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Hits = revenue

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:00 pm

We get some youtube revenue for videos which get adverts put on them by google. However its not a massive amount. I think last season we cleared about £200 in ad revenue from google - I'd need to check the total from my stats.

Its chicken feed really and ultimately ends up going back into the channel on things like a new camera batteries and an external hard drives for storing our footage. The kind of boring stuff which you need to keep a channel ticking over. However its worth doing as you never know when a video might go viral and create a ton of ad revenue.

While the youtube revenue is peanuts the hits and views are quite important for us. The last few seasons we've had the videos sponsored. While I'm not party to the total cost that has been charged for this the views and hits are obviously a major selling point for us attracting a sponsor in the first place. A loss of hits means its harder for us to sell a sponsorship package for our videos. Also I would hope views on our videos might also make a difference for someone buying a board at Blackwell Meadows.

Last season we got just over 500,000 views for all the stuff we put out. That's a big selling point in my opinion.

I've never been too bothered about direct revenue from videos. The reality is its a very difficult area to crack - indeed there is something of a crisis at the moment surround adverts on YouTube as a lot of advertisers are pulling out due to various things (mainly around dodgy content they don't want their brands to be attached to) but in the wider picture views etc do make a difference to the exposure of the club and our ability to sell various packages.

Its something the league hasn't adequately been able to clarify. They've spoken about 'trickle down' revenue from the new way of doing things but no one has been told us of a figure. That's unacceptable in my opinion, particularly when we are half way through an agreement with Feethams for their logo before our videos. If clubs were getting a sizable return for their efforts then I would happily make my peace with it. However I don't believe they will.

I honestly believe the league has signed up a very poor deal which will benefit Pitchero, Scout7 and the league. I believe clubs will benefit last and any income it gets will be minimal. I'd love to be proved wrong but I can't see it.

I would encourage everyone if they can to wait for our stuff (its better quality for a start) and directly benefits the club - either in the shape of a little ad revenue or views which help sell other things :)

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Perhaps, Yarblokos, you could help with the filming and editing then you will get to see them before anyone?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:01 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Perhaps, Yarblokos, you could help with the filming and editing then you will get to see them before anyone?
We seemed to be doing OK at filming and editing last season, they'd be up online the same day. It just seems like we are so determined to piss off the Vanarama league that we' don't care that Darlo fans get pissed off at not being able to see their team goals. Let's sit on the highlights as long as possible?

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:Perhaps, Yarblokos, you could help with the filming and editing then you will get to see them before anyone?
We seemed to be doing OK at filming and editing last season, they'd be up online the same day. It just seems like we are so determined to piss off the Vanarama league that we' don't care that Darlo fans get pissed off at not being able to see their team goals. Let's sit on the highlights as long as possible?
Im a Darlo fan and I'm not pissed off.Any other Darlo fans out there pissed off by not seeing the highlights 5minutes after a game?
Boycott Pitchero :thumbup:

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:48 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
So you are happy to watch the highlights on the league website despite being told that it is adversely affecting not just our club, but all clubs?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

olrad

Post by olrad » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Yarblockos I suspect yerbollocks like the penny have not dropped yet. I'll write this slowly so you can keep up ....the league have sold OUR highlights to another company and are dictating when we must give them away and we are not allowed to use them until others have . Most of us , because we realise that someone is taking the pish, refuse to watch the pressganged version . Now with you probably having the memory span of a gold fish and not being able to hold out for another day I can understand your need to watch pinchfromyous offering however I and many others don't think it's ok and refuse to entertain them ..you ok with that ?

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:40 pm

TFDM wrote:We get some youtube revenue for videos which get adverts put on them by google. However its not a massive amount. I think last season we cleared about £200 in ad revenue from google - I'd need to check the total from my stats.

Its chicken feed really and ultimately ends up going back into the channel on things like a new camera batteries and an external hard drives for storing our footage. The kind of boring stuff which you need to keep a channel ticking over. However its worth doing as you never know when a video might go viral and create a ton of ad revenue.

While the youtube revenue is peanuts the hits and views are quite important for us. The last few seasons we've had the videos sponsored. While I'm not party to the total cost that has been charged for this the views and hits are obviously a major selling point for us attracting a sponsor in the first place. A loss of hits means its harder for us to sell a sponsorship package for our videos. Also I would hope views on our videos might also make a difference for someone buying a board at Blackwell Meadows.

Last season we got just over 500,000 views for all the stuff we put out. That's a big selling point in my opinion.

I've never been too bothered about direct revenue from videos. The reality is its a very difficult area to crack - indeed there is something of a crisis at the moment surround adverts on YouTube as a lot of advertisers are pulling out due to various things (mainly around dodgy content they don't want their brands to be attached to) but in the wider picture views etc do make a difference to the exposure of the club and our ability to sell various packages.

Its something the league hasn't adequately been able to clarify. They've spoken about 'trickle down' revenue from the new way of doing things but no one has been told us of a figure. That's unacceptable in my opinion, particularly when we are half way through an agreement with Feethams for their logo before our videos. If clubs were getting a sizable return for their efforts then I would happily make my peace with it. However I don't believe they will.

I honestly believe the league has signed up a very poor deal which will benefit Pitchero, Scout7 and the league. I believe clubs will benefit last and any income it gets will be minimal. I'd love to be proved wrong but I can't see it.

I would encourage everyone if they can to wait for our stuff (its better quality for a start) and directly benefits the club - either in the shape of a little ad revenue or views which help sell other things :)
Thanks for that. Really useful explanation of how it works.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Yarblockos wrote:We seemed to be doing OK at filming and editing last season, they'd be up online the same day. It just seems like we are so determined to piss off the Vanarama league that we' don't care that Darlo fans get pissed off at not being able to see their team goals. Let's sit on the highlights as long as possible?
I think Kev put this as succinctly and clearly as necessary:
TFDM wrote:I would encourage everyone if they can to wait for our stuff (its better quality for a start) and directly benefits the club - either in the shape of a little ad revenue or views which help sell other things

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:01 pm

olrad wrote:Yarblockos I suspect yerbollocks like the penny have not dropped yet. I'll write this slowly so you can keep up ....the league have sold OUR highlights to another company and are dictating when we must give them away and we are not allowed to use them until others have . Most of us , because we realise that someone is taking the pish, refuse to watch the pressganged version . Now with you probably having the memory span of a gold fish and not being able to hold out for another day I can understand your need to watch pinchfromyous offering however I and many others don't think it's ok and refuse to entertain them ..you ok with that ?
Kev says the money we get from clicks is tiny. Christ, I'll donate £200 to keep the camera equipment up to date if its that big a problem. Any publicity is good publicity in my view, and the national league site attracts more hits than our youtube channel.

Why not upload them to the national league site and then we'll see how many Darlo fans actually want to watch them? If you refuse to watch them thats fine, but if they aren't even uploaded then nobody is refusing to watch, we don't have that choice!
Last edited by Yarblockos on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
Im a Darlo fan and I'm not pissed off.Any other Darlo fans out there pissed off by not seeing the highlights 5minutes after a game?
Put them on Pitchero and then we can see how many want to boycott them. That would be a better test than posting on a forum wouldnt it?

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:09 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Emdubya wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:
Put them on Pitchero and then we can see how many want to boycott them. That would be a better test than posting on a forum wouldnt it?
The clubs don't upload highlights on pitchero though - they ask for the full match to be sent to them and then they edit it themselves centrally. That's partly why it looks so crap. That is what they've asked for, but they don't allow the clubs to put out their own edited highlights our until the embargo ends. I'm not sure what you want the club to do.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:42 pm

Im glad to see the likes of Harrogate Town are uploading their own highlights before the 00.01 monday embargo for clubs, hoping more clubs in rhe league take Harrogates lead and start uploading their own early

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:05 pm

Yarblockos wrote:Kev says the money we get from clicks is tiny.

Yes, and he also says:
TFDM wrote:the hits and views are quite important for us. The last few seasons we've had the videos sponsored... and hits are obviously a major selling point for us attracting a sponsor in the first place. A loss of hits means its harder for us to sell a sponsorship package for our videos.
Yarblockos wrote:Any publicity is good publicity in my view
Agreed, and publicity like DFC’s YT channel that has a chance, no matter how small, of attracting further revenue for the club via advertising and sponsorship because sponsors/advertisers can be told how many clicks it gets is the very best publicity.

There’s nothing to lose really, is there? Wait a day or two to watch the highlights on our YT channel knowing that every click is possibly contributing towards encouraging new advertisers, or watch it on the NL site with no material benefit to the club.

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:34 am

As Kev says the actual revenue from clicks is minimal but there's a chance that some goofy own goal or something could make the video go viral in which case it's important we own the best quality recording of that, which brings me back to the question I made on another thread:

Can we stick a crappy old webcam or something to the top of the Tin Shed and video the whole pitch, and send them that video. Could they complain about that if it's the best the club can do without buying more expensive equipment and employing a cameraman? * I think I remember watching highlights from Marine or somewhere, which was just that.

* I don't think the club owns any of the equipment Kev uses and it's only out of the kindness of his heart that he donates so much time and effort (and electricity/internet bandwidth) to it, and lets the club use his footage. I don't see why the club can't stick a crappy webcam up to record the footage the league demands, and then Kev can provide his own fan-owned footage to whoever he likes.

The other point Kev made about us being only half way through our sponsorship agreement with Feethams is an interesting one to consider. Both parties were looking forward to the second season of that agreement when suddenly, a few weeks before kick off, they have the rug pulled from under their feet by someone demanding exclusive 48 hour rights to the video which will have a negative impact on their anticipated exposure and, to a lesser extent, people who've sponsored signboards at the ground.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:37 am

Mr_Tibbs wrote:As Kev says the actual revenue from clicks is minimal but there's a chance that some goofy own goal or something could make the video go viral in which case it's important we own the best quality recording of that, which brings me back to the question I made on another thread:

Can we stick a crappy old webcam or something to the top of the Tin Shed and video the whole pitch, and send them that video. Could they complain about that if it's the best the club can do without buying more expensive equipment and employing a cameraman? * I think I remember watching highlights from Marine or somewhere, which was just that.

* I don't think the club owns any of the equipment Kev uses and it's only out of the kindness of his heart that he donates so much time and effort (and electricity/internet bandwidth) to it, and lets the club use his footage. I don't see why the club can't stick a crappy webcam up to record the footage the league demands, and then Kev can provide his own fan-owned footage to whoever he likes.

The other point Kev made about us being only half way through our sponsorship agreement with Feethams is an interesting one to consider. Both parties were looking forward to the second season of that agreement when suddenly, a few weeks before kick off, they have the rug pulled from under their feet by someone demanding exclusive 48 hour rights to the video which will have a negative impact on their anticipated exposure and, to a lesser extent, people who've sponsored signboards at the ground.
Seems a bit of a grey area to me.

Kev may well own the equipment and the footage, but if it is used to generate income for the club through sponsorship, then can Kev or the club claim it is independent fan-owned footage?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:56 am

Yes :lol:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:07 am

Yarblockos wrote:Why not upload them to the national league site and then we'll see how many Darlo fans actually want to watch them? If you refuse to watch them thats fine, but if they aren't even uploaded then nobody is refusing to watch, we don't have that choice!
We have a sponsor literally paying to appear on our highlights. On the basis that they are the first ones out the door and has their name attached. Are you prepared to match the fee that Feethams have paid.

Also are you prepared to provide an assurance that you will also pay the cost of a video does go viral and the revenue from hits from that?

I am surprised that this has gone over your head.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:14 am

I am not sure Yarblockos has quite grasped the issue here..................

The league have insisted that videos of the games, filmed by volunteers, are uploaded to their site so they can edit and present that work as their own. From reports it seems that editing is less good than our own editing!

They also aim to make a commercial return without investing any funds to generate that return or even do the work themselves. They haven't even the decency to acknowledge those who do the work.

That arrangement deprives the club of publicity but more importantly puts at risk our own sponsorship arrangements thus depriving us of money without offering a payment to compensate for this loss of revenue.

it really isnt that difficult a concept to grasp.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Il quite happily watch the clubs youtube channel as opposed pitcher and if money is needed to keep up Kev's standards I for one would be happy to contribute, I don't mind waiting, I can fill in my time reading and rereading the chimps match reports and wiping away the tears of laughter.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:55 pm

sorry missed off the o in pitchero

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:09 pm

sorry missed off the o in pitchero.