York City v Darlo Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

shawry
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York City v Darlo Match Thread

Post by shawry » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:38 pm

princes town wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:We were lucky not to lose Collins in the first half, as it looked like he was the last player when he brought down their forward.
Collins should have gone. Fair point.
It's not a sending off anymore though unless it's classed as violent, or handball in the area

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:32 pm

Spyman wrote:
lo36789 wrote:If our ceiling is this level because of the ground then that is our ceiling. I'd be in support of reducing the playing budget to a mid-table level and additional funds being used for ground development. I know that isn't a particularly popular suggestion though.
It's popular with those of us that see beyond the end of the current season, but you get called boring for suggesting it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
You can't stand still in football. Reduce the budget and go for mid table, and you'd end up being in a relegation scrap. Players won't want to play for a team with no ambition, Fergie, Beck etc would leave to go up the ladder, Thomson, Gillies etc will go and play with their mates at Spenny or Shields.

For me we need to keep pushing to achieve the best league finishes we can - with this will come some investment as we'd be an attractive proposition. Fans will also put money in if we are in with a chance of promotion, they won't see a need if we are at the bottom. I reckon if we were told last January that we needed to raise 100k to gain promotion, we as fans would have done it.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:04 pm

shawry wrote:
princes town wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:We were lucky not to lose Collins in the first half, as it looked like he was the last player when he brought down their forward.
Collins should have gone. Fair point.
It's not a sending off anymore though unless it's classed as violent, or handball in the area

Well that's not true. That is only if it is a penalty. It was outside the box it was nailed on red card.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:16 pm

DFCAnth wrote:
Spyman wrote:
lo36789 wrote:If our ceiling is this level because of the ground then that is our ceiling. I'd be in support of reducing the playing budget to a mid-table level and additional funds being used for ground development. I know that isn't a particularly popular suggestion though.
It's popular with those of us that see beyond the end of the current season, but you get called boring for suggesting it.

You can't stand still in football.
We are standing still because we can't be promoted. The players you mentioned will leave next summer if we remain ineligible to go up at the end of the season.

I'm relieved the fundraising has started moving again but the current burden on fans could have been reduced by not signing unnecessary players.

Has signing Scott Fenwick really moved us significantly further forward? Given we had Beck, Caton, Saunders and Cartman (plus Thompson and Gillies who can play in a front 3) at the time, was he really necessary?

Do we need 5 central midfielders in Turnbull, Portas, Scott, Wheatley and Syers?

So to me the spend to accumulate argument is massively flawed because we were already moving forward. Take Wheatley, Fenwick and Richards out and the squad is still far stronger than the one 12 months ago.

To prove my point further, the above mentioned players have barely featured (admittedly after only 4 games), yet we've still done well. So are we any less attractive a proposition, any less likely to win without them? On current evidence, no.

As I've repeatedly argued, we already had a strong, improved squad and Collins and Caton strengthened that further.

Using the remaining, excess money in the playing budget for ground development would have helped us reach our target far quicker.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:59 pm

Barring injuries and suspension, Fenwick, Wheatley and Richards look like enormous unnecessary signings. Portas and Burgess haven't featured yet either.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:03 pm

Unfortunately there will be suspensions and injuries as the season goes on. We have to have back ups that are nearly as good or as good as the player who gets suspended or injured.

shawry

Post by shawry » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Unfortunately there will be suspensions and injuries as the season goes on. We have to have back ups that are nearly as good or as good as the player who gets suspended or injured.
No we don't. At our level and with our other priorities we don't need replacements of the same standard, we should make do with what we have.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Our extra players will be training with the 1st team and will therefore have a better chance to fit into any gaps. MG will not carry any players who cant fit in.
Darlo are considering installing a percentage of seats early uncovered, that may encourage extra fans to attend games. e.g. families, seniors.
DFC can always resort to a public appeal for donations, but this may be due for the more costly step up from Conference to Football League.
Looking at the numbers who have bought shares with a £100 limit, there may be a better uptake with a £50 limit, or a £50 per annum standing order (effectively a pound a week). Some 3 year loans from local firms may get the fundraising going again.
Ex fans compare the new ground to the cosiness of Feethams, but they ARE slowly returning to the fold, due to the style of football.
Initiatives are needed to attract kids and ex fans. More action is needed on this to best capitalise on our current good run.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:11 pm

shawry wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Unfortunately there will be suspensions and injuries as the season goes on. We have to have back ups that are nearly as good or as good as the player who gets suspended or injured.
No we don't. At our level and with our other priorities we don't need replacements of the same standard, we should make do with what we have.

To me, even if you take Fenwick, Wheatley and Richards out of the squad, you've still got more than adequate cover in every position. Certainly enough to cope with the usual injuries/suspensions.

I've got nothing against those 3 players, but like you say, we have far greater priorities (like being ineligible for promotion).
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:41 am

Not sure when the dfcsg meeting is but I've been making suggestions about other ways of raising money like crowdfunding the last pitch. Feel like a broken record now but 3,000 put a tenner each in that's £30,000.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:13 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:Not sure when the dfcsg meeting is but I've been making suggestions about other ways of raising money like crowdfunding the last pitch. Feel like a broken record now but 3,000 put a tenner each in that's £30,000.
The whole ethos of fundraising to date has been crowdfunding. Unfortunately the many want the few to pay for things.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:27 am

I'm aware of the ethos but I'm also aware that £100 is not achievable for many people. From the many, not the few. I completely agree that it shouldn't be down to a few, hence my suggestion. Also people don't necessarily want a repayable share, just to feel good that they contributed to that stand.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:30 am

Let's face it - the club has the money, or at least the fans have contributed sufficient funds. Unfortunately someone has made the decision that these funds are better spent on players than in the ground improvements - despite the situation we found ourselves in at the end of last season.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:34 am

I'm looking forward to the next CEO update!

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:45 am

Undercovered wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:Not sure when the dfcsg meeting is but I've been making suggestions about other ways of raising money like crowdfunding the last pitch. Feel like a broken record now but 3,000 put a tenner each in that's £30,000.
The whole ethos of fundraising to date has been crowdfunding. Unfortunately the many want the few to pay for things.
Sort of, but it's investment rather than crowd funding we've been doing with a minimum of £100.

The only other option is the buckets at the ground for those of us that don't have that much spare cash.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:28 am

Fair point. Beyond a sort of 'bottomless' bucket is there any option for the smaller donations. Just had an idea now actually could call it 30 days to 30k or something;

On day 1 have 1000 investments of £1
On day 2 have 500 slots of £2
On day 3 have 334 slots of £3
On day 4 have 250 slots of £4
On day 5 have 200 slots of £5
On day 30 have 34 investments of £30

You could have a prize each day with incremental value which is almost raffled by everyone who buys a ticket on that day...the example above will provide a surplus so potentially helps fund prizes...

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:39 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:I'm aware of the ethos but I'm also aware that £100 is not achievable for many people. From the many, not the few. I completely agree that it shouldn't be down to a few, hence my suggestion. Also people don't necessarily want a repayable share, just to feel good that they contributed to that stand.
This is applicable to me, I'm a student so I'm not able to contribute funds in the hundreds of £'s, I always try to put a few quid in the buckets as it's the best I can do, I don't care about wanting £20 back as a share. It's frustrating I can't contribute to the target with just £30 or so, even if it doesn't make a huge difference it might if a few people were able to do it.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:28 am

JamesDarlo wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:I'm aware of the ethos but I'm also aware that £100 is not achievable for many people. From the many, not the few. I completely agree that it shouldn't be down to a few, hence my suggestion. Also people don't necessarily want a repayable share, just to feel good that they contributed to that stand.
This is applicable to me, I'm a student so I'm not able to contribute funds in the hundreds of £'s, I always try to put a few quid in the buckets as it's the best I can do, I don't care about wanting £20 back as a share. It's frustrating I can't contribute to the target with just £30 or so, even if it doesn't make a huge difference it might if a few people were able to do it.
The account accepting regular/one off donations is DFCSG,sort code 30 84 43 account number 30283268 which was originally B2D fund but is now stadium improvement fund.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:29 am

That's what the buckets are there for

divas

Post by divas » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:52 am

JamesDarlo wrote:

Ask and it shall be given:

http://fundraising.darlingtonfcsupporte ... und/invest

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:37 pm

Good move. It's not even just the likes of students. I think most people's other half will question the use of 'another' £100 to the football club. That isn't small change to most people. The odd twenty quid and they likely don't pay any mind to it. :thumbup:

I always chuck some in the buckets, but generally refrain from larger donations for wanting to keep my testicles. This way is best for most imo.

Also agree with some of the expenditure on players. Some of it is looking frivolous, even with the potential for injuries. Spending money on Fenwick when we had Cartman, and may yet sign Fewster, for example.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:21 pm

H1987 wrote:Good move. It's not even just the likes of students. I think most people's other half will question the use of 'another' £100 to the football club. That isn't small change to most people. The odd twenty quid and they likely don't pay any mind to it. Image

I always chuck some in the buckets, but generally refrain from larger donations for wanting to keep my testicles. This way is best for most imo.

Also agree with some of the expenditure on players. Some of it is looking frivolous, even with the potential for injuries. Spending money on Fenwick when we had Cartman, and may yet sign Fewster, for example.
Don't - Martin's Minions will call you boring!

DC

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:25 pm

divas wrote:
JamesDarlo wrote:
Ask and it shall be given:

http://fundraising.darlingtonfcsupporte ... und/invest
Quality :thumbup:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:46 am

Hope we get to see the likes of Wheatley, Richards as well as the return of Portas, Burgess , Brown and Marrs even the recall of Cartman who has found his scoring boots at Farsley. MG should give them a chance to show why he has spent good money on them as they aren't even warming the bench yet....