York City v Darlo Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Comfortably_numb
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York City v Darlo Match Thread

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:08 am

Mr_Tibbs wrote:Crowd 3,944 with 1,041 Darlo fans. Pete was right!
Fair play Pete - spot on :)

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:15 am

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Mr_Tibbs wrote:Crowd 3,944 with 1,041 Darlo fans. Pete was right!
Fair play Pete - spot on :)
These predictions are remarkably accurate at the moment Pete.
Now predict the lottery and solve the stand problem.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:20 am

An incredible away support for this level.

Given we can take 1,000 away on a 100 mile round trip on a Tuesday night, I'll be pissed off to say the least if we only scrape 1,500-1,600 again on Saturday.

Questions would need to be asked about a proportion of our fanbase, about whether they want our club to succeed - when that portion will gladly travel away yet not be seen at home games where their money is needed.

Really, with the sort of away support that we can drum up, we should be seeing home crowds over 2,000 every time, and be much nearer Stockport and York in the attendance tables.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:34 am

Quakerz wrote:An incredible away support for this level.

Given we can take 1,000 away on a 100 mile round trip on a Tuesday night, I'll be pissed off to say the least if we only scrape 1,500-1,600 again on Saturday.

Questions would need to be asked about a proportion of our fanbase, about whether they want our club to succeed - when that portion will gladly travel away yet not be seen at home games where their money is needed.

Really, with the sort of away support that we can drum up, we should be seeing home crowds over 2,000 every time, and be much nearer Stockport and York in the attendance tables.
Completely agree, taking 1k away to places like York & Harrogate is fantastic.

What I want to understand is what stops more people attending our home games more regularly and what can we/the club do to get more people through the gates?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:41 am

Quakerz wrote:Questions would need to be asked about a proportion of our fanbase, about whether they want our club to succeed - when that portion will gladly travel away yet not be seen at home games where their money is needed.
Agree. It is apparant that people have access and know when games are we took something similar away to Harrogate so I am not sure the club can do much more in terms of advertising.

How do we make a home game feel like those away days a proportion of our fan base as prepared to pay more to attend.

Our away support in terms of size wouldn't be out of place in League Two but the ratio of fans who travel v those who come to home games is a concern.

It can't be cost (it cost more with rail fares / travel) to get to York, it can't be availability (it is clearly less time consuming to go to a home game than an away game) and if can't be accessibility because the club is back in town now (clearly easier to get to that these away fixtures). All these old, repeated excuses just don't stack up, so what is it?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:45 am

Maybe if we did an away day match day experience, picked them up from a pub in the morning, took them on a minibus for 2 hours before they would be more inclined to attend?

We would obviously have to provide a similar service after the game also.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:58 am

lo36789 wrote:Maybe if we did an away day match day experience, picked them up from a pub in the morning, took them on a minibus for 2 hours before they would be more inclined to attend?

We would obviously have to provide a similar service after the game also.
LOL. Think we have to take them to a pub though, then onto the match. :thumbup:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:14 am

It could just be that we now have such a hardcore home support that for easy away games like this, 2/3 of them make the effort to travel.

York is dead easy to get to and from and for the 1500 who watch us regularly will have been a very enticing prospect - the chance to see us play another 'ex-league' team with a similar support and basically no effort to get there.

We all hope home attendances will increase but I'm not convinced there'll have been loads of people there last night who don't attend regularly, other than the handful of idiots these big games seem to attract.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:28 am

Until they are able to do something about sightlines down the sides and open end people will always be put off as theyll spend the match looking at the back of someones head.
Admittedly the club house side is a vast improvement now but still a nightmare if theres a big crowd.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:35 am

Bit of a catch 22. We need the crowds/revenue to pay to do something about those things!

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:38 am

I go to the home games, have a season ticket, but truth be told I hate it there, with a passion it still feels less of a home than Bishop ever did

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:43 am

loan_star wrote:Until they are able to do something about sightlines down the sides and open end people will always be put off as theyll spend the match looking at the back of someones head.
Admittedly the club house side is a vast improvement now but still a nightmare if theres a big crowd.
If last Saturdays "grass bank grandstand " behind the bottom goal is allowed to continue it should make things a bit better until we have a proper solution.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:46 am

It was also York City, not Gainsborough Trinity or Alfreton. Be a few went for the nostalgia, remembering their younger days and visits on a Saturday for a FL match. Be a few went for the possibility of trouble, this being the only genuine old school "derby" we have.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:48 am

I spoke to two people and they said they only ever go to away games. No reason given just that the way it is. I told them that doesn't pay the bills but I knew they wouldn't be changing their habits very soon. I sensed ab air of nostalgia about it and it is quite possible that some will not attend until we are start playing some bigger clubs.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:50 am

shawry wrote:I go to the home games, have a season ticket, but truth be told I hate it there, with a passion it still feels less of a home than Bishop ever did

Well,it was either BM or the Neasham Road freezer,which you also probably hated.We had to move somewhere.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:52 am

Committed performances like last night, will only help to encourage them to come to home games. It won't happen overnight, Rome was not built in a day.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:59 am

princes town wrote:I spoke to two people and they said they only ever go to away games. No reason given just that the way it is. I told them that doesn't pay the bills but I knew they wouldn't be changing their habits very soon. I sensed ab air of nostalgia about it and it is quite possible that some will not attend until we are start playing some bigger clubs.
Why are some people so dense?

We won't get to start playing some bigger clubs until we can afford to climb the leagues, and we can't afford to climb the leagues until we have bigger attendances.

Some people just expect things handed to them on a plate while others foot the bill. Fucking clueless.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:05 pm

Good interview with Gray after the game, the link is below.

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/gra ... rformance/

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:51 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:
Quakerz wrote:An incredible away support for this level.

Completely agree, taking 1k away to places like York & Harrogate is fantastic.

What I want to understand is what stops more people attending our home games more regularly and what can we/the club do to get more people through the gates?
They could ask Virgin trains to give me a discount on travel on the West & East Coast routes and arrange a better timetable back home after the match! Every home game is an away game for me and takes the same level of planning.

The sad fact is that for many of us based away from Darlo time and cost mean we can't get to many home games and the away games are closer. Brackley is a home game for me. In the best Spennymoor style I can be home for tea from there whereas from Darlo i am lucky to be home by the end of MOTD.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:54 pm

MKDarlo these comments are not directed at you or any other exiles. Exiles actually tend to pay a decent contribution by DFCSG memberships / unused season tickets / other donations at appeal times.

The comments / questions are at those who live in Darlington but only go to away games and when appeals come out they say stuff like "well I already pay to go to away games"

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:58 pm

lo36789 wrote:MKDarlo these comments are not directed at you or any other exiles. Exiles actually tend to pay a decent contribution by DFCSG memberships / unused season tickets / other donations at appeal times.

The comments / questions are at those who live in Darlington but only go to away games and when appeals come out they say stuff like "well I already pay to go to away games"
i know but people have different reasons for going/not going to home games. and it isnt, always, straight forward.

Anyway York is an easy trip on the train after work. Lots of people can decide to go on the spur of the moment. Leamington is a bit different! ;)

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:59 pm

well happy with a draw away to York, yeah they crap now but its still a yardstick to see how far weve come

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:00 pm

Anyway - we got a great point last night. Real backs to the walls effort at times. Very impressive against a proper team.

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:49 pm

I've come to the conclusion that the main factor is simply the pull of the game. Pricing will always be used as an excuse as it's the easy thing to do but ultimately we have between 500 and 1000 fans who want to pick and choose which games they come to see. These people will be present against Spennymoor, York, Blyth, Salford and to a lesser extent Stockport and Kidderminster as they are teams that are recognisable. Exactly the same as why derby games and cup ties always attract bigger attendances.

I don't buy the comment about advertising - in this digital age where our social media channels have a following over over 10K people people know who we are playing and when we are playing

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:05 pm

shawry wrote:I go to the home games, have a season ticket, but truth be told I hate it there, with a passion it still feels less of a home than Bishop ever did

I'm glad I'm not the only one..

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Emdubya wrote:
loan_star wrote:Until they are able to do something about sightlines down the sides and open end people will always be put off as theyll spend the match looking at the back of someones head.
If last Saturdays "grass bank grandstand " behind the bottom goal is allowed to continue it should make things a bit better until we have a proper solution.
Weren't allowed to stand on the bank at Bishop.. So why at BM

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:57 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Emdubya wrote:
Everybody did though!

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:05 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Emdubya wrote:
It were full of people every week it were.
Did that in your own language just for you :thumbup:

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:05 pm

I think the bottom line is some people only go to (certain) away games because they enjoy going to those games. They don't enjoy going to home games so they don't. A bit hard to tell them they should prioritise home games when we're all free to do what we like to do.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:50 pm

Spyman wrote:It could just be that we now have such a hardcore home support that for easy away games like this, 2/3 of them make the effort to travel.

York is dead easy to get to and from and for the 1500 who watch us regularly will have been a very enticing prospect - the chance to see us play another 'ex-league' team with a similar support and basically no effort to get there.

We all hope home attendances will increase but I'm not convinced there'll have been loads of people there last night who don't attend regularly, other than the handful of idiots these big games seem to attract.
I agree with this entirely. Increasing our home attendances means attracting new fans.