Darlo v Telford Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Emdubya
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford Match Thread

Post by Emdubya » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Started badly and got worse as the game went on .Absolutely abysmal performance and looked nothing like the team from Tuesday night.
Fair play to Telford.Worked us out no problem,stopped us in our tracks and took just about their only decent chance.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:59 pm

I think we bounced today after several hard games. Players are athletes not machines. Slightly surprised we didn't use other members of the squad in the starting line up. Hindsight is easy

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Should have played it down the middle when we had the wind at our backs 1st half but played to the corners resulting in a goal kick almost every time. Second half against the wind played it down the middle where the ball just held up in the wind and Beck couldn't do much with the few headers he won. Should have played it down the sides. We always seem to be poor in wind affected matches. Telford certainly made more use of it second half.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:15 pm

Surprised Ferguson was dropped back after being such an attacking threat this season. I thought bringing Life On in at right back and putting Hunter in the middle would've disrupted things less.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:33 pm

Anyone know why we switched it round at the toss? Telford kicked off so we had choice of ends but decided to kick towards the tin shed in the first half - thought it was usually preferably to kick to your own 'mass' of supporters in second half.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Probably to put the sun in their keeper's eyes.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Poor scrappy wind affected game none of the football we played against Alfreton on show.
Expected crowd to be better but with that showing will only get worse

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:09 pm

Were we missing Browny?
Or was it that the side were worn out after Tuesday?
Either way we have to wait till 24th March to get our own back.
I couldn't make this game and wasn't that surprised at the score; we often have a hiccup at this stage of the season against an ordinary side.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:22 pm

We were very poor today but credit to there defence who were rock solid, probably the best we will face this season IMO.Our defence was OK today but Beck, Caton and particularly Syers were woeful.Syers just does not do it for me and would love Portas back in the side asap.Thommo also did very little and no surprise he was subbed early.On the positive side 10 points from 15 is pretty good and surely that display will be a one off.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:29 pm

They worked their bollox off throughout the game and when we got possession there was often two or three men closing down straight away. They also won about 80% of the headers and about 90% of the second balls. They weren't pretty but clearly had done their homework and executed their gameplan to perfection.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:50 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:I thought Telford were very ugly. 5 at the back, counter attack, niggle, push and shove, disrupt every midfield ball, time wasting from 50 mins onwards = anti football

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If they were ugly what were we? They out thought us, outfought us, and deserved the win.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:06 pm

MG says in his interview that some of the players were a bit below par due to the number of games , why then didn't we have the likes of Wheatley on the bench game was crying out for creative midfielder

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:00 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:MG says in his interview that some of the players were a bit below par due to the number of games , why then didn't we have the likes of Wheatley on the bench game was crying out for creative midfielder
Agreed.

We've got a big squad - if there were tired legs after a few tough games we should've used the likes of Richards, Wheatley and Fenwick.

That said, Telford have played the same number of games as us.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:43 pm

The disappointing thing was that we had no idea how to change the course of that game. Beck was in their pocket, yet we did nothing to try and change our play. No creativity, no width, no inspiration. Bartlett was the only one to play anywhere near their level. Unless we are on top, Syers gives you little in a midfield two.His strength is late runs into the box, he creates nothing and is not great defensively. Turnbull keeps the ball well but again is not that creative. It is slightly worrying that once a team can cope with our set pieces, we created nothing from open play. Substitutions made no difference. Could be down to fatigue. Lets hope so.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:19 am

It obviously is fatigue but also because teams have off days. Everytime we lose people come out woodwork that we don't have a plan B, we are just a direct team, we can only have set pieces.

We have created goals and attacks from open play over and over this season. Beck is a threat but from what I have seen the width and interchanges betweeb our wide midfielders, full backs and centre midfield have been effective as well.

For me. We just carry on as is. No need for concern it is a single defeat.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:48 am

Poor day at the office sadly but I guess these things happen. Thought we missed having Ferguson higher up the pitch, he’s been so dangerous on the ball for us so far.

We had no width, played the wind badly in the first half. Yet to see anything from Caton so that selection must be up for review I’d have thought.

Last thing we needed was to then be chasing the game but the goal we conceded was poor, total switch off at the back. Never had any expectation that we’d equalise from that point on.

Ten points from five is a good start and we’re in and around the play offs where I’d expect and hope is to be able to remain.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:12 am

Devoid of ideas & gave possession away with monotonous regularity. Beck did not get any assistance from a poor ref on the numerous pushes, then seemed to loose heart. Ref bottled a red card decision early on when Thommo brought down & this changed the game. Out-musculed in midfield, didn't convert any of the free kicks and hardly any crosses, lacking creativity meant Telford only needed to take their chance (which they did). Only ray of hope was Saunders coming on who injected some pace & enthusiasm. Couldn't understand why both Thommo and Gillies were taken off as with Ferguson playing in back four, this removed the supply & threat from wings. Seemed we missed Brown, and dare I say Cartman?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:45 am

jjljks wrote:Ref bottled a red card decision early on when Thommo brought down & this changed the game.
What happened like? I was only listening to the radio and they seemed to think yellow was right? What should he have been sent off for?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:54 am

lo36789 wrote:It obviously is fatigue but also because teams have off days. Everytime we lose people come out woodwork that we don't have a plan B, we are just a direct team, we can only have set pieces.

We have created goals and attacks from open play over and over this season. Beck is a threat but from what I have seen the width and interchanges betweeb our wide midfielders, full backs and centre midfield have been effective as well.

For me. We just carry on as is. No need for concern it is a single defeat.
Surely pretty well all the other teams have played the same number of games than us and would be as fatigued as us?

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:10 am

To be fair the workout we had at York was probably tougher than most had midweek. Disappointing that having signed players to bulk up the squad during this 8 week period where we have 2 games a week they weren't used.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:15 am

jjljks wrote:Devoid of ideas & gave possession away with monotonous regularity. Beck did not get any assistance from a poor ref on the numerous pushes, then seemed to loose heart. Ref bottled a red card decision early on when Thommo brought down & this changed the game. Out-musculed in midfield, didn't convert any of the free kicks and hardly any crosses, lacking creativity meant Telford only needed to take their chance (which they did). Only ray of hope was Saunders coming on who injected some pace & enthusiasm. Couldn't understand why both Thommo and Gillies were taken off as with Ferguson playing in back four, this removed the supply & threat from wings. Seemed we missed Brown, and dare I say Cartman?
There’s no way that was a red card IMO. The keeper played the ball before he caught Thompson and there was a defender alongside in any case.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:00 am

Reckless = Yellow Card
Excessive Force = Red Card
Denial of scoring opportunity to be a red card the attacker must have possession of the ball.

From the way the commentary described it it wasn't excessively forceful as it was just an attempt to play the ball and Thompson it doesn't sound like he had possession of the ball at the time either.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:25 am

lo36789 wrote:Reckless = Yellow Card
Excessive Force = Red Card
Denial of scoring opportunity to be a red card the attacker must have possession of the ball.

From the way the commentary described it it wasn't excessively forceful as it was just an attempt to play the ball and Thompson it doesn't sound like he had possession of the ball at the time either.
If you take a look at MGs post match interview on YouTube you may see the incident in question and then be able to see for yourself.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:35 pm

Yeh Thompson didn't have the ball under control can't be a red for denial as a result. If it had been given red on appeal it would have been turned over on the first criteria.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:45 pm

m62exile wrote:There’s no way that was a red card IMO. The keeper played the ball before he caught Thompson and there was a defender alongside in any case.
I’m no ref, but why was it even a yellow? Looks like the keeper got the ball and caught Thompson as his (the keeper’s) leg followed through.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Will have been adjudged reckless. This isn't verbatim but the words are to the effect of not showing due care to the safety of his opponent. Seems the right call when looking at it.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:40 pm

lo36789 wrote:Will have been adjudged reckless. This isn't verbatim but the words are to the effect of not showing due care to the safety of his opponent. Seems the right call when looking at it.
Ah right, thanks for the explanation. Seems like a fair call based on that criterion.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:19 pm

lo36789 wrote:Will have been adjudged reckless. This isn't verbatim but the words are to the effect of not showing due care to the safety of his opponent. Seems the right call when looking at it.
Makes me wonder why its the case that if an outfield player wins the ball then clatters into his opponent its quite often deemed to be reckless and yet a keeper can challenge for the ball in just as reckless a manner, if not more, yet be deemed not reckless!!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:41 pm

loan_star wrote:
Makes me wonder why its the case that if an outfield player wins the ball then clatters into his opponent its quite often deemed to be reckless and yet a keeper can challenge for the ball in just as reckless a manner, if not more, yet be deemed not reckless!!
Different rules apply - same on aerial challenges where you can't make the slightest contact with a keeper whereas with another outfield player shirts can be pulled, elbows raised etc.

DC

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:45 pm

loan_star wrote:
But I thought lo’s point was that the keeper was deemed to have been reckless and was therefore booked :?