Darlo v Telford Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Telford Match Thread

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:24 pm

Spyman wrote:Different rules apply - same on aerial challenges where you can't make the slightest contact with a keeper whereas with another outfield player shirts can be pulled, elbows raised etc.
Game management & "safe refereeing"

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:48 am

The Golden Hairclip wrote:I thought Telford were very ugly. 5 at the back, counter attack, niggle, push and shove, disrupt every midfield ball, time wasting from 50 mins onwards = anti football

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is how they won the game.

The time wasting started virtually straight away. I noticed their goalie shouting and lambasting his defenders right at the start of the game because they didn't allow a slow loose ball to roll back to him, he of course showed epic time wasting shenanigans at B.M. last season. And of course where were our ball boys? Just when we needed them.

Credit must go to Telford here. The way they set up their "anti football" and the way their players all work at it together is a skill in itself - although far from entertaining.

On checking I find that Telford have a new manager (ex Wales defender Rob Edwards) and a "revamped squad". I reckon they could be yet another team to be wary of this season.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:00 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
The Golden Hairclip wrote:I thought Telford were very ugly. 5 at the back, counter attack, niggle, push and shove, disrupt every midfield ball, time wasting from 50 mins onwards = anti football

The time wasting started virtually straight away. I noticed their goalie shouting and lambasting his defenders right at the start of the game because they didn't allow a slow loose ball to roll back to him, he of course showed epic time wasting shenanigans at B.M. last season. And of course where were our ball boys? Just when we needed them.

Credit must go to Telford here. The way they set up their "anti football" and the way
their players all work at it together is a skill in itself - although far from entertaining.

On checking I find that Telford have a new manager (ex Wales defender Rob Edwards) and a "revamped squad". I reckon they could be yet another team to be wary of this season.
All teams in all leagues do the time wasting thing..We do it at away games when we have a narrow lead.
We slow the game down, take our time over a throw in. and pretend to be more hurt than we are when fouled.
I don't like it from our opposition and I don't like it from us either.
Time all referees clamped down on it or added the time on correctly.

My opinion

theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Credit must go to Telford here. The way they set up their "anti football" and the way
their players all work at it together is a skill in itself - although far from entertaining.

All teams in all leagues do the time wasting thing..We do it at away games when we have a narrow lead.
We slow the game down, take our time over a throw in. and pretend to be more hurt than we are when fouled.
I don't like it from our opposition and I don't like it from us either.
Time all referees clamped down on it or added the time on correctly.

My opinion

Oops, sorry. Double post

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:08 am

All teams do time waste a bit. But Telford!!! To them it's an art form , they must take training sessions at it.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:02 am

Some belated thoughts.

That was a tough game to watch. We were poor and I didn’t think they were particularly good. 100% disappointed not to have beaten them and its points dropped no question.

However a little time to ponder it and perhaps a little kick up the ass the players and perhaps more importantly the fans may need. I’m sure the players were jaded after the start of the season we have had and going in to the game I had a feeling that we may drop points just after the good start we had have. Still going in at half time I was feeling pretty comfortable for the 3 points just expected us to get better but it never happened.

Disappointments for me was seeing Ferguson moved to LB in the absence of Brown. There were options available Marrs in at RB and Hunter to CB or if it were me I’d have perhaps gone Scott in at LB Galbraith to CB. Ferguson has been our most dangerous player this season so seemed a waste to take the offensive role from him. Was amazed at no point did we reshuffle and get him further forward.

Not sure anyone had a particularly good game (Bartlett did what was asked of him) and did well to try and keep the energy going with quick distribution, I also thought Hunter never gave up. I have clearly seen him play better, but Saturday he always kept going.

Think the whole club are probably happy with the week off, mark it down as a poor game and move on to what look a couple of tricky games at the weekend.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:12 am

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:Some belated thoughts.

That was a tough game to watch. We were poor and I didn’t think they were particularly good. 100% disappointed not to have beaten them and its points dropped no question.

However a little time to ponder it and perhaps a little kick up the ass the players and perhaps more importantly the fans may need. I’m sure the players were jaded after the start of the season we have had and going in to the game I had a feeling that we may drop points just after the good start we had have. Still going in at half time I was feeling pretty comfortable for the 3 points just expected us to get better but it never happened.

Disappointments for me was seeing Ferguson moved to LB in the absence of Brown. There were options available Marrs in at RB and Hunter to CB or if it were me I’d have perhaps gone Scott in at LB Galbraith to CB. Ferguson has been our most dangerous player this season so seemed a waste to take the offensive role from him. Was amazed at no point did we reshuffle and get him further forward.

Not sure anyone had a particularly good game (Bartlett did what was asked of him) and did well to try and keep the energy going with quick distribution, I also thought Hunter never gave up. I have clearly seen him play better, but Saturday he always kept going.

Think the whole club are probably happy with the week off, mark it down as a poor game and move on to what look a couple of tricky games at the weekend.
Agree with your post , my concern is we could of used Wheatley and Richards but they didn't even make the bench.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:Some belated thoughts.

Agree with your post , my concern is we could of used Wheatley and Richards but they didn't even make the bench.
Truthfully I don’t know anything about them to have even come into my thoughts.