Advertise Here
You are here: darlofc.co.uk » Board index » The Uncovered Forums » Virtual Feethams
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:50 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10930
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo_Pete wrote:
I doubt we'll make the play-offs, our side is beginning to look weak upfront and in the centre of defence. Shortfalls in the playing budget will not help, for example Fewster. If we struggle on the pitch, then it will be harder to raise cash for the extra seats we need to be considered for promotion.
Our side, barring Cartman, who you said is not the way forward, is the same as the one that achieved a playoff finish last season.

There are no budget shortfalls on the playing side. We have an almost identical squad to last season and have reinforced the centre of defence with Collins.

Pete, you talk such utter utter shite.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10930
Team Supported: Darlington
loan_star wrote:
Seems like Fewster has strung us along to get a better deal elsewhere.
Good luck to him, can't be arsed with players like that.
Or we've strung him along and not offered him a deal quickly enough so he's gone elsewhere.

Perhaps too much the and money was wasted on Fenwick and Richards and so we couldn't offer him anything until they were released/the club found Martin Gray another magic rainbow.

If that were the case I wouldn't blame Fewster at all for not wanting to wait around.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:50 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Posts: 5407
Team Supported: Darlington
Spyman wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Seems like Fewster has strung us along to get a better deal elsewhere.
Good luck to him, can't be arsed with players like that.
Or we've strung him along and not offered him a deal quickly enough so he's gone elsewhere.

Perhaps too much the and money was wasted on Fenwick and Richards and so we couldn't offer him anything until they were released/the club found Martin Gray another magic rainbow.

If that were the case I wouldn't blame Fewster at all for not wanting to wait around.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


Fewster was apparently meant to sign the Friday after the photo call. He was the one that delayed things.
As for comments about not liking our style of play, he has seen enough before our bad run (if it can be called a bad run) and seen us knocking the ball around well and creating chances. He's just been chasing pound signs like Chandler before him.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Posts: 1698
Team Supported: Darlington
We know that spendy paid a five figure signing on fee to prise foley away from s shields and its not beyond the bounds that fewster would like a bit of that action.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Posts: 4669
Team Supported: Darlington
Some of the outcry over this here and on twitter has been hilarious. He's (allegedly) not the first player to choose Spennymoor over us, he won't be the last, and just wait a season or 2 until South Shields can realistically start pulling on the same pool of players.

We've obviously got a squad which should challenge for a playoff position, so therefore people's biggest concern really should be whether we will actually be eligible for promotion and not that a player we were linked with has signed for another club. The next pitch closes in 28 days and it's still £28000 short, and the much sought-after 'smaller donation' fund has attracted 10 investors (full credit to them). Not signing Fewster is not a disaster. Not being eligible for promotion AGAIN could well be a disaster.

A bit of perspective needed by some.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:15 pm
Posts: 339
Team Supported: Darlington
Fewster wasn't fit hadn't played for 4 months .
Fenwick and Richards didn't have contracts so had to go within the month or sign
PLAYERS NOT GOOD ENOUGH
We need players like Terry Galbraith who played with a broken nose and black eye on Monday not these ex pros who just come for the dosh
On better news cartman is back next week.
Can't make tomorrow 1st match this season missed so will sample fans radio but will be at Chorley Tuesday.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Posts: 814
Team Supported: Darlington
How wealthy is Brad Groves? If Spenny do go up, would he be prepared to bankroll them to the cost of a million? He'll already need 150k plus for them to be eligible for promotion this season?
Anyway, I'd hope we could all think longer term. Slowly we are getting there regarding the infrastructure. I am confident we'll raise the 60 plus k by March and that our CEO will get the finances right.As someone has alluded to, I'd rather be sustainable and challenging for the play-offs rather than at the whim of one man who could pull the plug at any moment. The Spenny/Fewster situation simply highlights what one bankrolled club can achieve over another.


Last edited by Vodka_Vic on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Posts: 578
Team Supported: Darlington
Yep, F***er strung us along, just like Asprilla.....without the same skillset. Now we can put the saved money to something more concrete, in fact concrete the terracing :clap:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Posts: 978
Team Supported: Darlington
I'm struggling with the concept of being a laughing stock? We've been really successful, starting from nothing in the depths of despair and we're once again in the play-off zone. We don't have a rich owner or benefactor and we're supposedly living within our means and trying to raise £130,000 for more and we're halfway there. £40000 plus towards the budget too! I really don't understand what some people expect. We need to walk before we run sort the seats and stop the glass half empty stuff. Some of us remember applying for re-election to the league!! Really looking forward to Southport on Saturday.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Posts: 578
Team Supported: Darlington
Vodka_Vic wrote:
How wealthy is Brad Groves? If Spenny do go up, would he be prepared to bankroll them to the cost of a million? He'll already need 150k plus for them to be eligible for promotion this season?


I hear Brad missed out on both Neymar & Sanchez due to problems with the bus not getting the paperwork to Lytham in time


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 20545
Team Supported: Darlington
roadrunner wrote:
Fewster wasn't fit hadn't played for 4 months .
Fenwick and Richards didn't have contracts so had to go within the month or sign
PLAYERS NOT GOOD ENOUGH
We need players like Terry Galbraith who played with a broken nose and black eye on Monday not these ex pros who just come for the dosh


:clap:

_________________
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 20545
Team Supported: Darlington
Vodka_Vic wrote:
How wealthy is Brad Groves? If Spenny do go up, would he be prepared to bankroll them to the cost of a million? He'll already need 150k plus for them to be eligible for promotion this season?
Anyway, I'd hope we could all think longer term. Slowly we are getting there regarding the infrastructure. I am confident we'll raise the 60 plus k by March and that our CEO will get the finances right.As someone has alluded to, I'd rather be sustainable and challenging for the play-offs rather than at the whim of one man who could pull the plug at any moment. The Spenny/Fewster situation simply highlights what one bankrolled club can achieve over another.


Apparently Spennymoor aren't bankrolled and it's all sustainable. Brad doesn't put money in but they have loads of sponsors. That's what they reckon.

What's the betting that the major sponsors are companies owned by or connected to Brad though (I don't know, just throwing it out there)

Could some of the players be employed and paid by one of Brad's companies rather than Spennymoor? Would that be possible.

I just can't see how they can have enough money to throw about 5 figure signing on fees and outbid us on a string of players over the years.

_________________
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:39 pm
Posts: 26
Location: Eastbourne,Darlington
Team Supported: Darlington FC
Quakerz wrote:
roadrunner wrote:
Fewster wasn't fit hadn't played for 4 months .
Fenwick and Richards didn't have contracts so had to go within the month or sign
PLAYERS NOT GOOD ENOUGH
We need players like Terry Galbraith who played with a broken nose and black eye on Monday not these ex pros who just come for the dosh


:clap:

:clap: from me too - rather talk about the lads playing for the shirt than those at other clubs


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10930
Team Supported: Darlington
al_quaker wrote:
Some of the outcry over this here and on twitter has been hilarious. He's (allegedly) not the first player to choose Spennymoor over us, he won't be the last, and just wait a season or 2 until South Shields can realistically start pulling on the same pool of players.

We've obviously got a squad which should challenge for a playoff position, so therefore people's biggest concern really should be whether we will actually be eligible for promotion and not that a player we were linked with has signed for another club. The next pitch closes in 28 days and it's still £28000 short, and the much sought-after 'smaller donation' fund has attracted 10 investors (full credit to them). Not signing Fewster is not a disaster. Not being eligible for promotion AGAIN could well be a disaster.

A bit of perspective needed by some.


Absolutely right.

If the knee-jerkers are to be believed it will take more than just Fewster to sort out the mess on the pitch anyway so who cares?

If the rumour of a 10k signing on fee are true then firstly I'd hope we never pay such fees until we have every bit of infrastructure in place and are not asking supporters for donations to fund various things.

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:11 pm
Posts: 2054
Team Supported: Darlington
I've no idea whether Fewster is any good or not although he does have a strong pedigree but Spennymoor have more money than us at this moment. They don't have 400 season tickets in a 500 club, didn't have to build a new ground, and do have a generous owner. That's the facts, won't always be the case but at this moment it is.

I think some of the opinions on this thread are way off the mark though. The idea that we should be able to reach the playoffs because we've almost got the same squad is arrogant in the extreme. Clearly the standard of opposition is much stronger this year, and the opinion ignores how relatively lucky we were with injuries as well as the fact we punched well above our weight as accepted, I think, by absolutely everyone. For me, a top 5 finish would be remarkable, and a top 7 a very strong performance.

While I'm on, unless I've missed something nobody has any idea what agreements were made with Fewster, Fenwick, Richards etc, yet there seems to be a criticism that because we "signed" them we've missed out on other players. Again, it's nonsense.

Clearly, Johnston was expecting to have made progress with some third parties before now but these have been delayed as he's explained. It's not rocket science therefore that Gray has had to amend his plans accordingly.

There are so many teams this year with advantages over us on paper, including the raft of full time squads that I think the playing and coaching side should take a touch more credit for how they've gone about the start of this season.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 3431
Team Supported: Darlington
Some of the overreactions in this thread are comedy gold.

Firstly - is it the end of world Fewster hasn't signed? No it isn't. He may do well for Spenny, he may flop. But we have a forward line more than capable of competing at this level, and with a stand still to be built, wasting money on him would have been ridiculous.

Are we a laughing stock? No. Anyone making that comment is just being hysterical. In fact, if Fewster was after money, I actually think not signing him is one of the few sensible transfer decisions we've made.

But there are undoubted questions, maybe not for now, but for another day, about this summer's transfer policy. I said all along that the likes of Fenwick and Richards weren't necessary or affordable. We've still got 5 senior central midfielders. And moreover, it was a waste of resources which should have been used elsewhere. And now we've had Fewster in the team photo before leaving to go elsewhere.

The usual club sycophants poo-pooed that, insisting it was all completely necessary, that we'd be fine and that I should shut up and stop being negative.

As it turns out, I was right and we've wasted money that could have been used for a more pressing purpose. This has to be looked at and questioned and then improved on next summer. In terms of transfers, there seems to have been little strategy and little control on what was going on.

That said, if you look at the squad now, compared to 12 months ago, it is stronger. We it is undoubtedly capable of challenging for top 7 and that is what we are doing. Anyone saying otherwise is just being irrational or (in Darlo_Pete's case, trolling).

Our only priority now is to get the bloody stand built.

_________________
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Posts: 4669
Team Supported: Darlington
Spyman wrote:
Absolutely right.

If the knee-jerkers are to be believed it will take more than just Fewster to sort out the mess on the pitch anyway so who cares?

If the rumour of a 10k signing on fee are true then firstly I'd hope we never pay such fees until we have every bit of infrastructure in place and are not asking supporters for donations to fund various things.

Yep - if 10k is correct than we shouldn't be anywhere near players like that until we get the seats built. 10k towards BM would make a huge difference. Fewster may have been an improvement in what we have already (then again, he could be another Nathan Fisher), but he probably wouldn't have turned us into title winners, so even if we'd signed him we still would be a team who are capable of challenging for a playoff spot.

It's quite funny really - go back to the middle of August and we had a brilliant team, everyone was very positive etc etc. A couple of poorer performances and we lose out on a player it looked like we were interested in, and the club is a joke :lol: Another tough game tomorrow - I dread to think of the reaction if we lose!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Posts: 4669
Team Supported: Darlington
m62exile wrote:
The idea that we should be able to reach the playoffs because we've almost got the same squad is arrogant in the extreme. Clearly the standard of opposition is much stronger this year, and the opinion ignores how relatively lucky we were with injuries as well as the fact we punched well above our weight as accepted, I think, by absolutely everyone. For me, a top 5 finish would be remarkable, and a top 7 a very strong performance.

We've got a better squad though. Bartlett (hopefully), Ferguson and Syers will be here for the whole season, which will make a huge difference. Collins and Caton have been added, Portas is back. Finishing in the playoffs isn't a right, but we have a squad who should be capable of challenging for that.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10930
Team Supported: Darlington
al_quaker wrote:
m62exile wrote:
The idea that we should be able to reach the playoffs because we've almost got the same squad is arrogant in the extreme. Clearly the standard of opposition is much stronger this year, and the opinion ignores how relatively lucky we were with injuries as well as the fact we punched well above our weight as accepted, I think, by absolutely everyone. For me, a top 5 finish would be remarkable, and a top 7 a very strong performance.

We've got a better squad though. Bartlett (hopefully), Ferguson and Syers will be here for the whole season, which will make a huge difference. Collins and Caton have been added, Portas is back. Finishing in the playoffs isn't a right, but we have a squad who should be capable of challenging for that.

Exactly - to say it is arrogant to expect this team to be capable of reaching the play-offs is ridiculous. Regardless of the competition and whether it is better or worse, we know this is a strong squad at this level as proved last season.

While there may be a bit more money floating about and a few more full-time teams, ultimately the country hasn't suddenly produced a whole raft of better players playing at this level. The standard won't be radically different to what it was last season, or ten seasons before that.

It may be harder than last season, but it's not unrealistic or arrogant to expect this squad to achieve a top 7 finish.

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:37 am
Posts: 2253
Team Supported: Darlington
Quakerz wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:
How wealthy is Brad Groves? If Spenny do go up, would he be prepared to bankroll them to the cost of a million? He'll already need 150k plus for them to be eligible for promotion this season?
Anyway, I'd hope we could all think longer term. Slowly we are getting there regarding the infrastructure. I am confident we'll raise the 60 plus k by March and that our CEO will get the finances right.As someone has alluded to, I'd rather be sustainable and challenging for the play-offs rather than at the whim of one man who could pull the plug at any moment. The Spenny/Fewster situation simply highlights what one bankrolled club can achieve over another.


Apparently Spennymoor aren't bankrolled and it's all sustainable. Brad doesn't put money in but they have loads of sponsors. That's what they reckon.

What's the betting that the major sponsors are companies owned by or connected to Brad though (I don't know, just throwing it out there)

Could some of the players be employed and paid by one of Brad's companies rather than Spennymoor? Would that be possible.

I just can't see how they can have enough money to throw about 5 figure signing on fees and outbid us on a string of players over the years.


Brad Groves: CEO/Chairman/Co-Founder of https://www.greatannualsavings.com/

Seems to be doing very well since formed in 2012 & expanding rapidly. Incidentally its in same business sector as the company South Shields owner Geoff Thompson setup, Utilitywise, which has recently had to restate past results due to accounting irregularities.

Spennymoor Town case study makes amusing reading, just don't know how they managed to attract them as a client: https://www.greatannualsavings.com/case-studies/
Joe Tait is one of the players that works there:
https://www.greatannualsavings.com/jugg ... with-work/

_________________
Robbie Painter - http://twitter.com/RobbiePainter


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:11 pm
Posts: 2054
Team Supported: Darlington
al_quaker wrote:
m62exile wrote:
The idea that we should be able to reach the playoffs because we've almost got the same squad is arrogant in the extreme. Clearly the standard of opposition is much stronger this year, and the opinion ignores how relatively lucky we were with injuries as well as the fact we punched well above our weight as accepted, I think, by absolutely everyone. For me, a top 5 finish would be remarkable, and a top 7 a very strong performance.

We've got a better squad though. Bartlett (hopefully), Ferguson and Syers will be here for the whole season, which will make a huge difference. Collins and Caton have been added, Portas is back. Finishing in the playoffs isn't a right, but we have a squad who should be capable of challenging for that.


Ferguson and Syers were all here for much of last season, Bartlett a bit less. Collins I'll give you absolutely, Caton has not appeared to improve us yet. On the flip we've lost Falkingham, who was at times keeping Turnbull out of the 11 last season. Without splitting hairs, our starting 11 is broadly the same. 10 of Monday's team were here last season.

I don't think anyone would argue the league isn't quite a bit stronger, with an increase in FT clubs and significant strengthening by Salford, Spennymoor, Harrogate, Brackley and York.

We squeezed in to the final play off spot last year and ironically had quite an advantage by getting ourselves in to a position where we played lots fewer games than our opposition due to getting knocked out of both cups very early.

Standing still will require significant improvement, IMO.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 pm
Posts: 592
Team Supported: Darlington
al_quaker wrote:
Some of the outcry over this here and on twitter has been hilarious. He's (allegedly) not the first player to choose Spennymoor over us, he won't be the last, and just wait a season or 2 until South Shields can realistically start pulling on the same pool of players.

We've obviously got a squad which should challenge for a playoff position, so therefore people's biggest concern really should be whether we will actually be eligible for promotion and not that a player we were linked with has signed for another club. The next pitch closes in 28 days and it's still £28000 short, and the much sought-after 'smaller donation' fund has attracted 10 investors (full credit to them). Not signing Fewster is not a disaster. Not being eligible for promotion AGAIN could well be a disaster.

A bit of perspective needed by some.

Now up to 11 probably by the posters on the actual thread. Maybe those on Facebook & Twitter have been waiting for payday.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Posts: 4669
Team Supported: Darlington
m62exile wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
m62exile wrote:
The idea that we should be able to reach the playoffs because we've almost got the same squad is arrogant in the extreme. Clearly the standard of opposition is much stronger this year, and the opinion ignores how relatively lucky we were with injuries as well as the fact we punched well above our weight as accepted, I think, by absolutely everyone. For me, a top 5 finish would be remarkable, and a top 7 a very strong performance.

We've got a better squad though. Bartlett (hopefully), Ferguson and Syers will be here for the whole season, which will make a huge difference. Collins and Caton have been added, Portas is back. Finishing in the playoffs isn't a right, but we have a squad who should be capable of challenging for that.


Ferguson and Syers were all here for much of last season, Bartlett a bit less. Collins I'll give you absolutely, Caton has not appeared to improve us yet. On the flip we've lost Falkingham, who was at times keeping Turnbull out of the 11 last season. Without splitting hairs, our starting 11 is broadly the same. 10 of Monday's team were here last season.

I don't think anyone would argue the league isn't quite a bit stronger, with an increase in FT clubs and significant strengthening by Salford, Spennymoor, Harrogate, Brackley and York.

We squeezed in to the final play off spot last year and ironically had quite an advantage by getting ourselves in to a position where we played lots fewer games than our opposition due to getting knocked out of both cups very early.

Standing still will require significant improvement, IMO.

Syers was here for a lot of last season, having signed in October, but Ferguson didn't sign until January, yet neither were here on 1st September 2016. Our starting 11 today, in my opinion, is much stronger than at the same time last season, which is the only fair comparison, since we know that Gray likes to change things as the season goes on.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Posts: 4669
Team Supported: Darlington
Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
Some of the outcry over this here and on twitter has been hilarious. He's (allegedly) not the first player to choose Spennymoor over us, he won't be the last, and just wait a season or 2 until South Shields can realistically start pulling on the same pool of players.

We've obviously got a squad which should challenge for a playoff position, so therefore people's biggest concern really should be whether we will actually be eligible for promotion and not that a player we were linked with has signed for another club. The next pitch closes in 28 days and it's still £28000 short, and the much sought-after 'smaller donation' fund has attracted 10 investors (full credit to them). Not signing Fewster is not a disaster. Not being eligible for promotion AGAIN could well be a disaster.

A bit of perspective needed by some.

Now up to 11 probably by the posters on the actual thread. Maybe those on Facebook & Twitter have been waiting for payday.

Hope so!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10930
Team Supported: Darlington
Robbie Painter wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:
How wealthy is Brad Groves? If Spenny do go up, would he be prepared to bankroll them to the cost of a million? He'll already need 150k plus for them to be eligible for promotion this season?
Anyway, I'd hope we could all think longer term. Slowly we are getting there regarding the infrastructure. I am confident we'll raise the 60 plus k by March and that our CEO will get the finances right.As someone has alluded to, I'd rather be sustainable and challenging for the play-offs rather than at the whim of one man who could pull the plug at any moment. The Spenny/Fewster situation simply highlights what one bankrolled club can achieve over another.


Apparently Spennymoor aren't bankrolled and it's all sustainable. Brad doesn't put money in but they have loads of sponsors. That's what they reckon.

What's the betting that the major sponsors are companies owned by or connected to Brad though (I don't know, just throwing it out there)

Could some of the players be employed and paid by one of Brad's companies rather than Spennymoor? Would that be possible.

I just can't see how they can have enough money to throw about 5 figure signing on fees and outbid us on a string of players over the years.


Brad Groves: CEO/Chairman/Co-Founder of https://www.greatannualsavings.com/

Seems to be doing very well since formed in 2012 & expanding rapidly. Incidentally its in same business sector as the company South Shields owner Geoff Thompson setup, Utilitywise, which has recently had to restate past results due to accounting irregularities.

Spennymoor Town case study makes amusing reading, just don't know how they managed to attract them as a client: https://www.greatannualsavings.com/case-studies/
Joe Tait is one of the players that works there:
https://www.greatannualsavings.com/jugg ... with-work/

Maybe Fewster just really wants a career in procurement?

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7525
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
Spyman wrote:
Joe Tait is one of the players that works there:
https://www.greatannualsavings.com/jugg ... with-work/


This I recall when Tait moved to Spennymoor it was reported that part of it was he'd basically been given a full time job by Groves. You can't really complain too much people have to have an income at the end of the day.

m62exile wrote:
I don't think anyone would argue the league isn't quite a bit stronger, with an increase in FT clubs and significant strengthening by Salford, Spennymoor, Harrogate, Brackley and York.


Salford and York were above us last season anyway, so any strengthening by them doesn't worsen our position. Actually by my reckoning we have taken more points from Salford this season than we did last season. In fact if I look at the teams we have played;

We have taken more points against Salford than we did all of last season, we have taken more points against York than we did against Fylde all of last season, we lost against Telford last year and we drew with Halifax away from home (same as we did against North Ferriby).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Posts: 1391
Team Supported: Darlington
Good to see a few people on here have their sensible hat on.

It's not the end of the world that we didn't sign him (although I would have liked to). Good luck to Spenny, there's no need to bad mouth Spenny, we don't need to prove to everyone that we are the bigger club, better fans etc, it's pretty irrelevant and we'd get typecast like Leeds & Newcastle fans who think they should be winning the Prem because they're a 'massive' club.

Lets get our cash raised, support the lads we do have (including the management team) and really enjoy the season.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:19 pm
Posts: 108
Team Supported: Darlington
D_F_C wrote:
Good to see a few people on here have their sensible hat on.

It's not the end of the world that we didn't sign him (although I would have liked to). Good luck to Spenny, there's no need to bad mouth Spenny, we don't need to prove to everyone that we are the bigger club, better fans etc, it's pretty irrelevant and we'd get typecast like Leeds & Newcastle fans who think they should be winning the Prem because they're a 'massive' club.

Lets get our cash raised, support the lads we do have (including the management team) and really enjoy the season.
At last someone with a brain.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:15 pm
Posts: 339
Team Supported: Darlington
lo36789 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Joe Tait is one of the players that works there:
https://www.greatannualsavings.com/jugg ... with-work/


This I recall when Tait moved to Spennymoor it was reported that part of it was he'd basically been given a full time job by Groves. You can't really complain too much people have to have an income at the end of the day.

m62exile wrote:
I don't think anyone would argue the league isn't quite a bit stronger, with an increase in FT clubs and significant strengthening by Salford, Spennymoor, Harrogate, Brackley and York.


Salford and York were above us last season anyway, so any strengthening by them doesn't worsen our position. Actually by my reckoning we have taken more points from Salford this season than we did last season. In fact if I look at the teams we have played;

We have taken more points against Salford than we did all of last season, we have taken more points against York than we did against Fylde all of last season, we lost against Telford last year and we drew with Halifax away from home (same as we did against North Ferriby).

And we missed out on that prolific striker to spennymoor Tom Craddock,
Wonder why York city didn't sign Fewster
Cos York,STOCKPORT and Kidderminster aren't throwing dead money away.
With 1 automatic promotion place available.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:07 pm
Posts: 1146
Team Supported: Darlington
Lots of over reaction out there regarding Fewster signing for our friends down the road. Personally I couldn't care less, we've had a decent start to the season against teams who I expect to be up there and that includes Spenny.

For me sending Cartman out on loan was the biggest hick so far this season. People say he doesn't score enough I agree, however he offers so much more to the team his work rate and link up play are second to none and I do think think this season he will get a few more goals. Hopefully he will come back and get back into the team.

Take a look at Kiddy and Stockport who lost key players and are already playing catch up. Let's stay positive get the seats in place and finish in the playoffs.

If we do for me the season will have been a success.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AndyPark, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], loan_star, LoidLucan, Makka Pakka, Richie, super_les_mcjannet, tdk1 and 66 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group