Southport v Darlo Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Southport v Darlo Match Thread

Post by Spyman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:52 pm

It's a trade off. Syers clearly offers a goal threat but perhaps doesn't put in the hard yards that Portas does and that will divide opinion.

As for the forwards, as I said before, Caton has very little first team experience as a centre forward and whether he, or Martin Gray, sees that as his 'natural' position is irrelevant if he doesn't deliver the goods there.

He's yet to prove himself as an adequate centre forward at this level. Until he does, he's a poor signing as we have other proven wingers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:21 pm

My thoughts on the game today for what it's worth.

We started brightly and had the majority of chances in the first half. Both Gillies and Syers had efforts outside the area, Thompson hit the post and Beck was thwarted by a great save. We also had numerous corners and set plays. Although Southport had 2 very good chances realistically 1-0 Darlo would have been a fair reflection at the break.

Southport came out after half time and their goal really rocked us. Burgess made the mistake and after that I felt positionally he was very poor which contributed to numerous chances for Southport. I felt we missed Brown today and with Galbraith suffering a suspected fracture things aren't going to get any easier.

After that we were chasing the game and went direct. Southport had a couple of chances but our opportunities fell in the last 15 minutes when Gillies miskicked 10 yards out and Caton had an effort saved. Bartlett should have done better with the second but unfortunately we paid the price for not being clinical.

The squad seems stretched with injuries to Galbraith, Hunter, Marrs and Brown. Vaulks did well when he came on at RB, Portas also gave us great energy and I'd like to see him start against Chorley. Southport were there for the taking but we handed over 3 points with the 1st goal.

I'm amazed by some of the comments regarding some of our players/management team as if something has changed over night. Things aren't quite going for us at the moment, and it's very much fine margins that are costing us. The 1st half performance today was lightyears ahead of the ones against Telford and Spennymoor and it's not as if we aren't creating chances. This is probably the most testing time for MG as a manager but I'm sure he'll be doing everything in his power to improve results.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:52 pm

It's disappointing. I don't think we're doing too much wrong at the minute. Two very difficult things to coach into our game; 1. taking chances when they come. 2. cutting out the mistakes that are costing us. Certainly not the time for knee jerk reactions. Just from my point of view atm, I wonder if a slight formation change could work for us.

In the current formation (4-4-2) we are reliant on the 2nd striker bringing a large goal threat and taking chances. TBH we didn't have this last season and we are so far struggling for it this. As a result we feel the need to play players like Syers, Gillies and Thompson who can offer a greater goal threat but lack the defensive qualities that can make us a little weak at the back.

However, if we moved to a 4-2-3-1. We could have the opportunity to play Syers, Thompson and Gillies with a bit more creative freedom as you would have Turnbull and Portas behind them to do the nitty gritty work. We know both can carry the ball forwards and use it too. Truth is last season other than Beck our stikers didn't contribute too much with both Cartman and Hardy getting around the 7 goals mark. However Syers, Gillies and Thompson got 30 goals between them. I'd like to see us go with something a bit like the below against Chorley.

Bartlett
Marrs, Collins, Brown, Ferguson
Turnbull, Portas
Thompson, Syers, Gillies
Beck

just food for thought.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:11 pm

Didn't we have the exact same conversation last season about being overrun in midfield and needing to play 5 if Gillies and Thompson were both to play?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:57 am

At the end of the day we have no god given right to win every game, this is a tough league more so than last season. I'm sure we will there st the end of the season better to have a blip now.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:50 am

Every team goes through a bad patch during the season let`s hope this is ours and we finish strongly which is more important when you reach the playoffs

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:47 am

I do think Wheatley should be given a chance, I watched him during preseason and the few minuets game time he's been given and he looks a good player, not sure why MG seems reluctant to use him.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:35 pm

poppyfield wrote:I do think Wheatley should be given a chance, I watched him during preseason and the few minuets game time he's been given and he looks a good player, not sure why MG seems reluctant to use him.
Keep saying this but you can't judge anyone on the basis of pre-season. It really frustrates me when I see people saying "He looked good in pre-season so he should start."

Pre-season games lack the intensity of competitive fixtures and with all the substitutions/trialists, the matches themselves become so disjointed it's entirely meaningless. The games are purely there for fitness and a little bit of experimenting but nothing more.

I maybe critical of his transfer dealings, but surely MG gets a far better look at these players during training. If he's seeing Wheatley at training and choosing not to play him, there'll be a reason for that.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:02 pm

Quakers83 wrote:My thoughts on the game today for what it's worth.

We started brightly and had the majority of chances in the first half. Both Gillies and Syers had efforts outside the area, Thompson hit the post and Beck was thwarted by a great save. We also had numerous corners and set plays. Although Southport had 2 very good chances realistically 1-0 Darlo would have been a fair reflection at the break.

Southport came out after half time and their goal really rocked us. Burgess made the mistake and after that I felt positionally he was very poor which contributed to numerous chances for Southport. I felt we missed Brown today and with Galbraith suffering a suspected fracture things aren't going to get any easier.

After that we were chasing the game and went direct. Southport had a couple of chances but our opportunities fell in the last 15 minutes when Gillies miskicked 10 yards out and Caton had an effort saved. Bartlett should have done better with the second but unfortunately we paid the price for not being clinical.

The squad seems stretched with injuries to Galbraith, Hunter, Marrs and Brown. Vaulks did well when he came on at RB, Portas also gave us great energy and I'd like to see him start against Chorley. Southport were there for the taking but we handed over 3 points with the 1st goal.

I'm amazed by some of the comments regarding some of our players/management team as if something has changed over night. Things aren't quite going for us at the moment, and it's very much fine margins that are costing us. The 1st half performance today was lightyears ahead of the ones against Telford and Spennymoor and it's not as if we aren't creating chances. This is probably the most testing time for MG as a manager but I'm sure he'll be doing everything in his power to improve results.
Wasn't that Burgess 's first game for 4/5 months... And as for the Brown comment I've been singing his praises for months and people questioned that he weren't good enough for this level and now he missed another game we need him.. God I wish people would get off there backs...Yes we are not playing great but it's a sticky patch we all have them

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Second week running their keeper made saves that prevented Darlo turning the game.

Other reasons I know but dont think theres a lot wrong.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:34 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Wasn't that Burgess 's first game for 4/5 months... And as for the Brown comment I've been singing his praises for months and people questioned that he weren't good enough for this level and now he missed another game we need him.. God I wish people would get off there backs...Yes we are not playing great but it's a sticky patch we all have them
I posted on here earlier saying I thought Kev was at fault for the first goal, but that he had generally played well after such a long lay off. Quakers83 in your assessment of Kev you failed to observe (like I did) that he lost, I think one header all afternoon, so his positional sense cannot have been that bad! :clap:

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:31 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
loan_star wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Finished 2-0, their goalie MOM, cannot hit a barn door at present, no win in 5 and only 2 goals scored.MG has decisions to make whether to continue with the likes of Beck, Caton and Syers who are quite simply not good enough at this level.Big problems for MG as his budget appears to be stretched.Chorley on Tuesday is a very important game now and they certainly have a strong defence so looks like all we can hope for is a 0-0.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Beck not good enough? :lol:

Yet in another thread you wanted Cartman back, even though Beck was miles ahead of him in the scoring charts last season!
Where have I said I want Nathan back,get your facts right.
See below :thumbup:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote: Caton,is not a natural striker,bring back Nathan and give him a chance to prove again he is a natural striker,Caton is a good player does plenty of running and fast footwork ,but where it matters he seems to stall, not just today either , he may well pick up his goal scoring given time but we need ...

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:25 pm

bga wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

I posted on here earlier saying I thought Kev was at fault for the first goal, but that he had generally played well after such a long lay off. Quakers83 in your assessment of Kev you failed to observe (like I did) that he lost, I think one header all afternoon, so his positional sense cannot have been that bad! :clap:
:roll:

If you read my post properly, you'd know that it wasn't a full game assessment of a player. I simply mentioned their 1st goal in this instance and the 40 minutes that followed. :roll:

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:57 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
bga wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

If you read my post properly, you'd know that it wasn't a full game assessment of a player. I simply mentioned their 1st goal in this instance and the 40 minutes that followed. :roll:
I know that, I were just pulling you up on the Burgess point..And added the Brown piece in as you said we needed him backImage

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:59 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Quakers83 wrote:
bga wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

I know that, I were just pulling you up on the Burgess point..And added the Brown piece in as you said we needed him backImage
Hopefully Brown and Marrs are back in contention for Tuesday. :thumbup:

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:16 pm

This may sound daft but I for one was happier yesterday (obviously mainly in the first 45 mins) because we played excellent football in the first half with Southport only having a couple of chances, and their keeper making first class saves. While the second half we struggled to get a foot on the ball for 20 mins or so we still created chances.

There were negatives from the game of course (besides losing):-
- Not taking chances
- Basic mistakes in defence again costing us
- Thompson struggling to have an impact while partnering Beck at the front
- Injury to Terry G
- Nobody seems to want to shoot from distance (Southport I feel caused our defence to become shaky by shooting from distance 3 or 4 times straight after half time)

But there were positives from the game:-
- Showed we can play the ball on the ground and with a rearranged team at the back
- Portas and Vaulks looked comfortable on the ball when they came on
- Turnbull was back to his best
- Creating chances even when under pressure
- Not sure I would say any one of the players had a particular bad game

We need to put things in perspective I suppose at this time, as every year we have had a month or two of poor results until MG sorts out his best team and formation. Plus last year we struggled to beat nearly all of the teams in the play off places, so with basically with the same team as last year and more full time teams to play against, this year is going to be harder for us.

We need to keep the faith and enjoy this year whatever happens and hope it is a good year (while having the odd moan of course - which I do ;) ).

Up the Quakers

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
poppyfield wrote:I do think Wheatley should be given a chance, I watched him during preseason and the few minuets game time he's been given and he looks a good player, not sure why MG seems reluctant to use him.
Keep saying this but you can't judge anyone on the basis of pre-season. It really frustrates me when I see people saying "He looked good in pre-season so he should start."

Pre-season games lack the intensity of competitive fixtures and with all the substitutions/trialists, the matches themselves become so disjointed it's entirely meaningless. The games are purely there for fitness and a little bit of experimenting but nothing more.

I maybe critical of his transfer dealings, but surely MG gets a far better look at these players during training. If he's seeing Wheatley at training and choosing not to play him, there'll be a reason for that.
Wheatley was decent away at North Ferriby when he came on, nothing special but a bit of drive forward. Portas was the same yesterday getting the ball and immediately moving forward, something we don't get with Syers/Turnbull generally.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:47 pm

Portas has always been my favourite player, he is class when on his game which is more often than not...

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:19 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:

I don't want to think about your sticky patch thank you very much.