Wheatley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakerste
Team Supported: Darlington

Wheatley

Post by quakerste » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:31 pm

Man of the match tonight by a distance. After watching him in pre season you could see he had something about him, can't believe it has taken him this long to break into the team.

Could form a good partnership with Turnbull and will become a valuable asset in my opinion.

Carl Airey

Re: Wheatley

Post by Carl Airey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:39 pm

Agree completely. He ran the show in that second half and thoroughly deserved his goal!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:46 pm

Looks a great player and took his goal really well.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:52 pm

He was outstanding in the second half. Not sure how he didn't win man of the match. He's very comfortable on the ball, drives forwards with it, and isn't afraid to put himself about either. He was at his best when the game opened up and he was running forwards. Gave us another dimension.

Looking forwards to seeing how he develops. Him and Vaulks both look like good talents.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:26 pm

I actually thought he was fairly anonymous in the first half, but was magnificent in the 2nd.

Syers coming on and the switch to 3 in midfield really changed things from our perspective.

With Cartman cup-tied I wonder if we'll stick with 3 in midfield which worked well in the 2nd half, or if Gray will revert to 4-4-2.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:19 pm

We played so much better with only ten men. Perhaps that's the answer.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:46 pm

Can't understand why FCUM was his debut, unless he was our 'secret' weapon to save our season. Now the covers are off, hope we see a lot more of him in the first team as he looks to be a real asset. :clap:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:36 pm

Maybe he wasn't match fit? Had he been playing in the reserves?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:10 pm

jjljks wrote:Can't understand why FCUM was his debut, unless he was our 'secret' weapon to save our season. Now the covers are off, hope we see a lot more of him in the first team as he looks to be a real asset. :clap:
His debut was against North Ferriby where he came on and looked decent enough without over excelling.

He has energy, passes and moves whilst being reasonably comfortable on the ball. We could have a good one here, hopefully he plays tomorrow (as no reason not to) but let's see how he develops over the season.

Him and Portas play that similar role so it's an interesting one this season, I would be tempted with a midfield 4 of Ferguson, Turnbull, Wheatley and Syers tomorrow. Means we are missing a real wide right player but could work, in terms of bulking up the midfield and hopeful increase the opportunity to play through teams which many would like to see more of us and a little less direct.

Who knows what Gray will do though, he has the Burgess scenario to resolve tomorrow, to play or not to play.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:26 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Who knows what Gray will do though, he has the Burgess scenario to resolve tomorrow, to play or not to play.
Be surprised if we don't appeal Burgess red card tbh.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:34 pm

lo36789 wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:Who knows what Gray will do though, he has the Burgess scenario to resolve tomorrow, to play or not to play.
Why it looked bad on the highlights, and MG said it was a straight red!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:36 pm

Lo, that's meant to be a joke, right?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:42 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Can't see anyway we would win an appeal and I guess his suspension will kick in on Wednesday next week 7 days after sending off.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:50 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
jjljks wrote:Can't understand why FCUM was his debut, unless he was our 'secret' weapon to save our season. Now the covers are off, hope we see a lot more of him in the first team as he looks to be a real asset. :clap:
His debut was against North Ferriby where he came on and looked decent enough without over excelling.

He has energy, passes and moves whilst being reasonably comfortable on the ball. We could have a good one here, hopefully he plays tomorrow (as no reason not to) but let's see how he develops over the season.

Him and Portas play that similar role so it's an interesting one this season, I would be tempted with a midfield 4 of Ferguson, Turnbull, Wheatley and Syers tomorrow. Means we a re missing a real wide right player but could work, in terms of bulking up the midfield and hopeful increase the opportunity to play through teams which many would like to see more of us and a little less direct.

Who knows what Gray will do though, he has the Burgess scenario to resolve tomorrow, to play or not to play.
Re Burgess it is a difficult one for MG. He said a couple of games ago KB should not be playing but still selected him last Wednesday when he could have played Vaulks. So does he now play Vaulks and take a risk he could get injured, or keep him fresh for when KB's ban starts? I think he should put out his strongest team so if KB is not yet match fit go for Vaulks surely? :?

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:54 pm

lo36789 wrote:
On what grounds?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:04 pm

Go with Burgess - if Vaulks were to get injured we'd be in trouble while Burgess is suspended.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:05 pm

The highlights show it was a yellow at most. Slightly reckless but definitely not Serious Foul Play. His feet were down he was pulling out. If his right foot had been straight / up then yeh maybe. They're player didn't deserve second yellow mind either for the pen so things even out.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:34 pm

lo36789 wrote:The highlights show it was a yellow at most. Slightly reckless but definitely not Serious Foul Play. His feet were down he was pulling out. If his right foot had been straight / up then yeh maybe. They're player didn't deserve second yellow mind either for the pen so things even out.
Think it probably looked and sounded a touch worse on the night. Seeing as MG said afterwards he thought it was a red (least I think he did) I think that’s the end of it.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:54 pm

Think Lo is a referee, so is most likely to read the situation correctly.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:24 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Think Lo is a referee, so is most likely to read the situation correctly.
So was the referee who sent him off though :think:

This is the thing even referees can interpret things slightly different, was it a reckless challenge or just poorly timed.

I can't see Gray taking a chance and appealing to be honest but who knows.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Think at this level it`s not worth appealing

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:41 pm

Most people in the ground thought it was a sending off, MG (fairly close to the incident) thought it was the right decision, the ref (who was about two yards away) clearly thought it merited a red but one person who saw the highlights believes it's worth appealing (and seems to be on his own in that view) ... there's a pattern emerging here on whether an appeal would be a sensible way forward.

allertonquaker

Post by allertonquaker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:52 pm

An appeal would be a waste of everyones time and effort ....Red Card, move on.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:00 pm

Perspectives are interesting must admit - quite intriguing in week following the controversy in PL last weekend.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:10 pm

At the time I thought it was a definite red card, but having watched Kev's (superb) highlights I'm not so sure. It was certainly very late, but it was a shin on shin collision. No studs were involved and Burgess didn't leap off the ground. Definite yellow, possible red, but not as clear cut as I first thought. Not sure it'd be worth an appeal though (I didn't even know you could at this level?!)

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:07 pm

I agree I thought what a stupid thing to do, but on the highlights it doesn't look like a red card to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!