Darlington FC V Leamington Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darl-Zero
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V Leamington Match Thread

Post by Darl-Zero » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:47 pm

I think the BM atmosphere can be easily improved with every section of terrace or stand constructed.

offside

Post by offside » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:51 am

Darlo94 wrote:Piss poor. I thought the performance against Spennymoor was awful but this was just as bad. Were fairly dominant first half, Caton looked dangerous and Portas had a good showing at right back, but second half we seemed completely out of ideas to break down a team that had turned up for a 0-0. Attendance not great but you can't expect to convince people to pay £14 to come and watch that.
There were some kids slide tackling each other on the sideline that were better entertainment than the match.
Haven't missed a game this season yet but I ain't paying £14 on weds night watching the same stuff week in week out ... It was absolutely rubbish yesterday and a game we could of lost at the end if they took there chances ... And I thought Telford where rubbish but these where worse

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:25 am

offside wrote:
Darlo94 wrote:Piss poor. I thought the performance against Spennymoor was awful but this was just as bad. Were fairly dominant first half, Caton looked dangerous and Portas had a good showing at right back, but second half we seemed completely out of ideas to break down a team that had turned up for a 0-0. Attendance not great but you can't expect to convince people to pay £14 to come and watch that.
There were some kids slide tackling each other on the sideline that were better entertainment than the match.
Haven't missed a game this season yet but I ain't paying £14 on weds night watching the same stuff week in week out ... It was absolutely rubbish yesterday and a game we could of lost at the end if they took there chances ... And I thought Telford where rubbish but these where worse
Well I for one am not jumping ship just because we are going through a bad patch, the team has 5 defenders injured that's going effect the whole team setup,yea the game yesterday was poor but it won't help anything if people stay away, your choice of course but I'll be going Wednesday night.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:46 am

Why on earth would anybody want to pay £14 to watch that rubbish? Luckily I only arrived at half-time. We'll be lucky to see a 1000 on Wednesday and if the weather is bad you can reduce that to 800. Vaulx looks a good addition. What is the point of lofting a ball to Cartman when he's trying to beat a centre-half to the header. From what I saw Leamington had the better chances. Poor isn't the word for that performance. :thumbdown:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:03 am

Only a couple of positives to take from this match (1) clean sheet - thanks mainly to Jack Vaulks contribution FROM THE BENCH - he really should be starting XI) & poor opposition.
(2) more close passing along the ground & less lumping of long hopeful balls

Negatives outweighed the positives with Portas getting injured again, Syers not fit enough to last 90mns - every time MG reached for the subs board, Syers trotted over in expectation of going off, Becks not timing runs or headers, Collins injured, lack of creativity from midfield, lack of penetration & players getting down the flanks to deliver telling crosses, zero conversion of chances, low attendance - especially given the selling of tickets for Shields game, lack of pressing (apart from Cartman & Saunders).

Barlett seems to be the only improvement on the squad in terms of signings, though we haven't seen Wheatley given his chance in a first team shirt yet so will reserve judgement on that.

The work to improve the match experience is a priority, not just the seats but also some terracing & cover at the away end. Again i must applaud the efforts of the volunteers around the ground, selling 50/50 tickets & programmes and even the little ballboy who troubled their keeper more than Beck did.

The Darlington public are fickle and have unrealistic expectations but MG has to get the team back to winning ways, playing attractive attacking football and developing local talent. We need to attract younger fans so make it cheaper fir families, more incentives such as cheaper replica kits for kids , 20 free tickets to schools & youth teams in the area, as they are the future of the club. Gone are the days when kids were let in free by lifting over at the turnstile - but that got me hooked 60 years ago. There may be other social media ways we can improve on, although the Forum and the mixlr radio commentary are both excellent efforts.

In an ideal world, we would be the landlord / owners of Blackwell Meadows & have a bottomless purse with enough to build both the team and the physical infrastructure, but in the real world we have to live with compromises and get behind the club. We have already come an amazing distance and can maintain the momentum if we keep faith in MG and the Board.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:03 am

Teams have the way we attack well and truly sussed, just drop another defender off the CH and just clear any flick ons from Beck.This is the way MG has us set up and it just ain't working...3 goals in 7 games tells us that...so do we scrap this system and bring in a couple of strikers with pace?.Big problem for Martin, for me this is the only answer and will get more lost fans coming back.Player budget will be an issue so comings and goings is the only answer to keep this season alive.No wins in 7 is probably our worst run since MG took over, but 2 players in could make a massive difference to our season .

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:44 am

I was seriously impressed by Vaulks. He's probably the most composed CB I've seen us have since 2012 and looks like he can actually read the game and drop off when needed whereas others at this level and bells have been very much front foot defenders, get to the ball at all costs - that's admirable but it just doesn't work as well the higher you go and the better opposition you play against. We've been crying out for that type of player but expected it to come in the form of a season pro rather than a kid so it's a double bonus.

If managed correctly he looks like a future star, reminded me a lot of a young Gregan/Reed when they burst onto the scene. There was one particular moment when he anticipated and nabbed the ball and glided past their forward. Okay Leamington we're up to much offensively but I'm genuinely excited to see him progress

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:55 am

divas wrote:I was seriously impressed by Vaulks. He's probably the most composed CB I've seen us have since 2012 and looks like he can actually read the game and drop off when needed whereas others at this level and bells have been very much front foot defenders, get to the ball at all costs - that's admirable but it just doesn't work as well the higher you go and the better opposition you play against. We've been crying out for that type of player but expected it to come in the form of a season pro rather than a kid so it's a double bonus.

If managed correctly he looks like a future star, reminded me a lot of a young Gregan/Reed when they burst onto the scene. There was one particular moment when he anticipated and nabbed the ball and glided past their forward. Okay Leamington we're up to much offensively but I'm genuinely excited to see him progress
Yep agreed. I'd personally be wary of chucking him in against the better sides in the division (when these injuries slow down so we have a choice of defenders!), as you can tell he's inexperienced - he was caught out a few times and Bartlett was having to do a lot of organising, but the talent is clearly there in abundance.

Real chance for Gray and Gregan in particular to show their coaching abilities. If Vaulks can develop in the way it looks like he might over the next season or so then we could have a very good young player on our hands, which is good for the club in a number of ways!

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:57 am

I think our style of play is part of why crowds are dropping. While long ball style has been successful in the past it's not pretty to watch. We have got away with it so far because we have been winning the majority of our matches. Now we have been found out by more organised teams who do their research and what we are serving up is not working and not nice to watch. We have the players to keep it on the ground and that is what we need to do unless we want crowds to drop below 1000.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:09 am

dfc4me wrote:I think our style of play is part of why crowds are dropping. While long ball style has been successful in the past it's not pretty to watch. We have got away with it so far because we have been winning the majority of our matches. Now we have been found out by more organised teams who do their research and what we are serving up is not working and not nice to watch. We have the players to keep it on the ground and that is what we need to do unless we want crowds to drop below 1000.
This. We cannot attract floating fans when the match day experience is already average and then play dreadful football. If I brought a mate down to watch that I'd feel like I personally owed him £14.
Craig Liddle is God!!

offside

Post by offside » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:53 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
offside wrote:
Well I for one am not jumping ship just because we are going through a bad patch, the team has 5 defenders injured that's going effect the whole team setup,yea the game yesterday was poor but it won't help anything if people stay away, your choice of course but I'll be going Wednesday night.

Yes 5 defenders out !!! They ain't our main threats for scoring that's up to our attackers and I am sorry but we should of been scoring past these and picking 3 points up against the weaker teams

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:48 am

There are some good points here
jjljks wrote:Again i must applaud the efforts of the volunteers around the ground, selling 50/50 tickets & programmes and even the little ballboy who troubled their keeper more than Beck did.
The ballboy did add a little sub plot to the first half. Their goal keepers time wasting tactics were annoying. But not as annoying as their subbed player in the second half - who when asked to run off the pitch by the Ref, did a pathetic little run on the spot right in front said Ref. This was like something out of a bad 4th year sports lesson and he should have booked.
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Teams have the way we attack well and truly sussed, just drop another defender off the CH and just clear any flick ons from Beck.This is the way MG has us set up and it just ain't working...3 goals in 7 games tells us that.
Too true. I bet the South Shields scout was taking notes :thumbdown:
divas wrote:I was seriously impressed by Vaulks. He's probably the most composed CB I've seen us have since 2012 and looks like he can actually read the game and drop off when needed
Did Vaulks pull a muscle near the end of the game? It looked that way to me.
darlo_baron wrote: If I brought a mate down to watch that I'd feel like I personally owed him £14.
If it was your first Darlo game, you wouldn't want to go back for seconds. We never looked capable of beating a poor opposition.

Gray needs to have some fresh thoughts about recent events. He's rightly taken praise and plaudits over the years for some truly outstanding achievements however I don't think our players are as bad as recent performances suggest. Something is wrong.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:26 am

We're never going to attract many kids along with the ground the way it is. There's just no way for them to see the game. We're far too reliant on flat, hard standing. Those seats are absolutely desperately needed, and even then they're not enough. A terrace which can be segregated depending on the size of the away following should be next. (So Darlo fans always have access to a part of it).

Regarding signage et al... it's something I'm not sure i want the club spending money on right now.... but can we as fans make the place feel more like home with our own flags and banners? A simple flag pole with a Darlo flag flying over the turnstiles? More black and white banners (there's usually a few and it's a great start. How great would the tinsjed look if the front as all covered in black and white)

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:34 am

It's hard to sit here and comment from a distance but I was at Southport and Chorley. It's so difficult to understand how we've lost the plot after watching us at Salford where I came away feeling very optimistic and with a smile on my face. We really looked top five that day, wingers driving at the defence, pretty solid at the back and an organised midfield. We've not suddenly become a bad group of players but there's definitely something wrong and I'm starting to question the budget boosting. Keep the faith!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:04 pm

darlo_baron wrote:
dfc4me wrote:I think our style of play is part of why crowds are dropping. While long ball style has been successful in the past it's not pretty to watch. We have got away with it so far because we have been winning the majority of our matches. Now we have been found out by more organised teams who do their research and what we are serving up is not working and not nice to watch. We have the players to keep it on the ground and that is what we need to do unless we want crowds to drop below 1000.
This. We cannot attract floating fans when the match day experience is already average and then play dreadful football. If I brought a mate down to watch that I'd feel like I personally owed him £14.
Spot on. In the past we have had exciting wingers who would take on full backs and put in crosses which would create chances. We need someone who is capable in this league (and possibly above) of thrilling the crowd the way that Speedie, Maitland, Ratcliffe, McGeachie, Walsh et al. used to do. Get scouting now & sign up someone!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:06 pm

divas wrote:I was seriously impressed by Vaulks. He's probably the most composed CB I've seen us have since 2012 and looks like he can actually read the game and drop off when needed whereas others at this level and bells have been very much front foot defenders, get to the ball at all costs - that's admirable but it just doesn't work as well the higher you go and the better opposition you play against. We've been crying out for that type of player but expected it to come in the form of a season pro rather than a kid so it's a double bonus.

Didn't want to say it after 60 minutes but I was thinking "the next Dan Burn".

I would have no problems seeing this kid as starting with Collins, Brown and Burgess fighting for the other spot.

In fact I'd like to see both Vaulks and Saunders start the next couple of games - everyone's favourite "Carts" did nowt as usual.

And don't get me started on Caton, I don't see the point of him.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:12 pm

Geographically we are at a major disadvantage when it comes to getting quality players on loan, something most clubs seem to do. In the north west there are numerous clubs that are local, from Prem to L2, to choose from while we have a mere three. I'm sure that is how teams with smaller budgets than us manage to get decent teams together.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:24 pm

dfc4me wrote:Geographically we are at a major disadvantage when it comes to getting quality players on loan, something most clubs seem to do. In the north west there are numerous clubs that are local, from Prem to L2, to choose from while we have a mere three. I'm sure that is how teams with smaller budgets than us manage to get decent teams together.
Another good reason for developing our local youth talent. At least both Vaulks and Saunders show some enthusiasm, skill and energy which MG and his coaching staff can work on. :thumbup:

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:39 pm

I thought we tried to play more football yesterday, certainly in the 1st half. The problem is - the wingers couldn't beat a man, there was no striker running regularly beyond the defence, and there wasn't happening from midfield either, and all done with little pace. So we normally ended up just passing the ball around with 0 penetration before launching it up to Beck. The couple of times Caton/Ferguson combined in the 1st half, and the couple of times when Syers got forwards is when we looked most likely to create something. Didn't happen enough times though.

I'd be tempted to start Saunders instead of Cartman on Wednsday. Would inject some much needed pace and somebody to run behind the opposition defenders. Ferguson at LM would be ideal if injuries permit, but we'll have to see who is available!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:12 pm

Does the rugby club get all incomes raised from catering. I've avoided buying anything until yesterday, but because of no lunch I was forced to try it. £3 for a plain burger in a bread roll is a rip off. at those mouth watering prices I won't be trying again in a hurry. I was quite impressed with the Leamington support, considering they're one of the smaller clubs in our division.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:52 pm

he looks quite promising. I'll reserve judgement slightly as leamington posed little threat. he did get caught out ball-watching 2nd half in the penalty box but otherwise he did really well.

princes town

Post by princes town » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:55 pm

al_quaker wrote:
I thought we tried to play more football yesterday, certainly in the 1st half. The problem is - the wingers couldn't beat a man, there was no striker running regularly beyond the defence, and there wasn't happening from midfield either, and all done with little pace. So we normally ended up just passing the ball around with 0 penetration before launching it up to Beck. The couple of times Caton/Ferguson combined in the 1st half, and the couple of times when Syers got forwards is when we looked most likely to create something. Didn't happen enough times though.

I'd be tempted to start Saunders instead of Cartman on Wednsday. Would inject some much needed pace and somebody to run behind the opposition defenders. Ferguson at LM would be ideal if injuries permit, but we'll have to see who is available!
We certainly did play more football but delivered at a funereal pace that leamington could close ranks quite easily. The lack of wingers who can beat a man is a big issue as well. We rarely get behind teams.

princes town

Post by princes town » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:55 pm

al_quaker wrote:

We certainly did play more football but delivered at a funereal pace that leamington could close ranks quite easily. The lack of wingers who can beat a man is a big issue as well. We rarely get behind teams.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:22 pm

[quote="Quakerz"] In fact I'd like to see both Vaulks and Saunders start the next couple of games - everyone's favourite "Carts" did nowt as usual. quote]

Spot on. Saunders is well overdue a start - so long as we play the ball on the ground and not our usual hoofball tactics.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:26 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
Quakerz wrote: In fact I'd like to see both Vaulks and Saunders start the next couple of games - everyone's favourite "Carts" did nowt as usual.
Spot on. Saunders is well overdue a start - so long as we play the ball on the ground and not our usual hoofball tactics.
I feel that Saunders would probably be at his best if we played direct - use his pace over the top. It's what Spennymoor did to us in the 1st half of the recent game and it was very effective.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:55 pm

I'd start Saunders on Wednesday instead of Cartman. Surprised Cartman stayed on for the full game, but I guess having to sub Collins early on, meant our options were limited.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:28 pm

Isn't Caton a winger who thinks he's a striker?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:55 pm

Quakerz wrote:And don't get me started on Caton, I don't see the point of him.

Caton tried to wriggle his way through their defence on numerous occasions and was more industrious than everyones fave super hero Cartman.

Cartman was mainly bypassed and missed two good chances.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:35 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Caton tried to wriggle his way through their defence on numerous occasions and was more industrious than everyones fave super hero Cartman.

He is not my hero..

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:59 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Agree with this. In the first half, Caton got into good areas 3/4 times and delivered very dangerous crosses. He came inside well a few times too. His problem is that he did lose the ball too easily 3/4 times and this might be what people remember, especially the ones who like to complain at every little thing.

Cartman was quiet at best