Darlington FC V South Shields Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

The Golden Hairclip
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V South Shields Match Thread

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:00 pm

Sorry, but that was an absolute shambles. I'm fuming right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Well at least we don't have to worry about getting the money for the seats rushed for September, there is no way we will be anywhere near the play offs this season.

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:07 pm

I move back to uni tomorrow, thank god. No more watching whatever that was.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:09 pm

I'm a supporter of Gray, but he has no right to bitch about his budget when we never win a cup match and never sell a player on for a decent profit.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Correct. Gray wanted a bigger budget and yet he can never deliver a cup run and give us a return on the investment.

When Gray said we were a laughing stock at the fans forum, is this what he meant?

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:19 pm

Having a cup run was one of the targets set by the board so it has to put Gray's future in question

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:32 pm

There is no way Gray's future is in doubt. Doesn't he have a 5 year contract? No way would be afford to sack him.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:36 pm

Darlobaz79 wrote:Having a cup run was one of the targets set by the board so it has to put Gray's future in question
Even if he were to be sacked, he's on a long term contact which we'd have to pay up.

And even if we were to find the money for that who would we get to replace him who knows the league, will be within what little budget would remain, get the best out of the team AND want to come?
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:40 pm

Will he now come out and talk of the need for outside investment again?

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:44 pm

People need to get real. Martin Gray has been fantastic for this club. In fact, the best manager we've ever had. This is the first tough patch he's had and he'll (we'll) come through it. Having said that, today was diabolical and changes on the pitch need to be made.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:49 pm

Ignoring this game the NLN is as far as we can survive without outside investment and going FT, simple as that

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Darlo_H wrote:
Darlobaz79 wrote:Having a cup run was one of the targets set by the board so it has to put Gray's future in question
Even if he were to be sacked, he's on a long term contact which we'd have to pay up.

And even if we were to find the money for that who would we get to replace him who knows the league, will be within what little budget would remain, get the best out of the team AND want to come?
Managers would queue up for the job.

Managers who would gladly try and work with the budget that we provide.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

bga

Post by bga » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:58 pm

Yarblockos wrote:Correct. Gray wanted a bigger budget and yet he can never deliver a cup run and give us a return on the investment.

When Gray said we were a laughing stock at the fans forum, is this what he meant?
Is a "Cup run" winning one game? :crazy: Oh well at least DMP won and are top of the league!

bga

Post by bga » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:59 pm

DL5 wrote:Ignoring this game the NLN is as far as we can survive without outside investment and going FT, simple as that
That is true, we have to accept this is our position for now.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:02 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:People need to get real. Martin Gray has been fantastic for this club. In fact, the best manager we've ever had. This is the first tough patch he's had and he'll (we'll) come through it. Having said that, today was diabolical and changes on the pitch need to be made.

Amar Purewal was fantastic for this club.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

bga

Post by bga » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:04 pm

Spyman have you been drinking?

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:05 pm

Spyman wrote:
The Golden Hairclip wrote:People need to get real. Martin Gray has been fantastic for this club. In fact, the best manager we've ever had. This is the first tough patch he's had and he'll (we'll) come through it. Having said that, today was diabolical and changes on the pitch need to be made.

Amar Purewal was fantastic for this club.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Touché

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:11 pm

I thought South Shields were superb from start to finish. They never stopped running, closed down our players well, passed the ball crisply, kept up the energy levels and we couldn't live with their movement. They were everything we weren't and Gray's tactic of packing the midfield and playing one up front backfired spectacularly. We looked like the team from the lower league and our dinosaur football was laughable as Gray lost the tactical battle completely. No-one seemed to know what they were supposed to be doing and it was embarrassing.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Darlo_H wrote:

Be careful what you wish for. There are no guarantees in life, no guarantees in football and we have no devine right to win every game. Results have been poor and indeed disappointing but reality is we have had an unfortunate injury jinx and the squad quality and depth has stood still this season. I have no doubt that the squad is capable of sustaining Conf North status and with Gray as manager.

There are far too many complications to consider when talking of possibly sacking Gray. There are also no guarantees that making a managerial change would change our fortune on and off the pitch. In fact it could be a very short sighted decision to make and if the club were to slip relegation-wise then the club will die. Better the devil you know, I say.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:17 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
Darlo_H wrote:

Be careful what you wish for. There are no guarantees in life, no guarantees in football and we have no devine right to win every game. Results have been poor and indeed disappointing but reality is we have had an unfortunate injury jinx and the squad quality and depth has stood still this season. I have no doubt that the squad is capable of sustaining Conf North status and with Gray as manager.

There are far too many complications to consider when talking of possibly sacking Gray. There are also no guarantees that making a managerial change would change our fortune on and off the pitch. In fact it could be a very short sighted decision to make and if the club were to slip relegation-wise then the club will die. Better the devil you know, I say.
Look, I don't wish Gray to leave.

I was just saying that if he did leave, that we wouldn't necessarily struggle for a manager.

Neither will the club die if we were relegated - not if we budget within our means.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:24 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I thought South Shields were superb from start to finish. They never stopped running, closed down our players well, passed the ball crisply, kept up the energy levels and we couldn't live with their movement. They were everything we weren't and Gray's tactic of packing the midfield and playing one up front backfired spectacularly. We looked like the team from the lower league and our dinosaur football was laughable as Gray lost the tactical battle completely. No-one seemed to know what they were supposed to be doing and it was embarrassing.
Absolutely spot on.I would love us to play the way SS played today.Did not see them launch it once to there CF.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:28 pm

Today just confirmed what people feared, that we are in for a very tough 12 months, maybe the most frustrating since 2012. We were 80K overspent at the end of last season and I'm pretty sure that based on gates so far we are looking at a very big black hole in the accounts at the end of this one too. The cup was a hope, maybe the only realistic hope of easing our financial woes. The seats are not going to be built and we now know we will have no extra revenue from a cup run to fund the seats and the badly needed terracing. Its also going to be hard to persuade fans to turn up with no prospect of promotion.

I can't see anything positive to take from today, its a big set back for our progress. Next season's budget has to be substantially reduced, whether Gray complains or not we just can't afford it. Still, there's always the FA trophy I suppose.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:30 pm

Well, he's not better than Brian Little for starters. Also, in 5 years managing the club he hasn't yet figured out how to get his team to defend.

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:50 pm

That was awful! Embarrassing! Terrible! Totally unacceptable!

Firstly let's pay dues to SS, they were very good today, they played professionally and with desire. They used the ball very well and chased every ball so we never had any time on the ball. They absolutely deserved the win. Their 8 and 9 had a great game. The quality of the balls into the box was a class above.

Now on to Darlo...

Gillies, your "performance" is competing with Big Dave's at Rochdale for the least effort I've ever seen. If you don't want to play let the manager know. You were a disgrace today.

Burgess, I've never seen a defender struggle so much to mark a man from a corner and free kick. This is basics for a defender. If you're not quick enough to follow the man you're marking either be a bollard for then to run around (so you gain the extra yard) or give yourself space. Grabbing their player by the head so they don't run past you is risky and unnecessary.

Marrs, I wasn't his biggest fan last season, and he made a mistake that resulted in a goal today but he was one of the only starting players who looked like they gave a s*** today.

Beck, normally a superb player but was poor today, lost interest towards the end, but arguably understandable given the performance of the players around him.

Leon Scott, wrong player to bring on at that stage of the game. Was wasteful when he had the ball.

Caton, you could forget he was on the pitch, achieved nothing. No end product.

Syers, see above.

Ferguson, put some effort in, shame we can't say the same for the majority of the players on the pitch.

Saunders, full of running and gave a s***, no shame in his performance. Took some stick from Beck for not getting on the end of his knockdown which resulted in the ball going to the other end of the pitch and their 3rd goal.

Thompson, we know he offers nothing in defence (the same as Gillies) but when was the last time we had any product from him? Just hasn't been good enough.

Bartlett, decent game, definitely our MOTM. Arguably should have come for one of the crosses that resulted in one of their goals.

Referee, poor, missed an almost certain red card and a separate penalty but we were sooo incredibly poor it probably didn't affect the result.

Martin Gray, firstly, let me say I don't agree with sacking managers this early in the season and that remains my opinion, but others do not have patience that I do. I don't brown nose Cartman like some, I'm sure you don't think he is a striker who will win your promotion, hence the number of strikers you tried to bring in over the summer, and I tend to agree, but he is clearly our 2nd best striker but he wasn't available today because of you, MG, you need to shoulder that blame.
Tactical we were something else today, we simultaneously managed to have no width and be outnumbered in the middle!! That's almost an achievement! This rests at your feet.
The players today, on the whole, had an unacceptably low work rate, that's either because they don't give a s*** or because they are unfit, I agree that should be a personal responsibility of every member of our team but you need ensure that is happening.
If our players can't man mark at corners then you need to take control, do we go zonal? hybrid? or just coach them! It's not a difficult skill!
I hope you'll internally agree that your stance at the fans forum was, at best, misguided and the additional funds donated by the fans have been wasted and would have been much better spent on improving our ground.

I can't explain how disappointed I am today. I'm not sure what the goals were set at the start of the season but for me it would be:
1) improve ground
2) make a profit
3) have a cup run
4) make the playoffs

The result today means number 3 has failed, and it has massively impacted number 2 and arguably number 1. Also the play offs look unlikely, so it's starting to look like a failed season already. MG, you have negatively affected each of these goals. Don't let your pride prevent you for taking blame that is correctly assigned to yourself and your management team.

Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:53 pm

Gray's saying it was the worst performance since he's been in charge and questioning the desire and hunger of some of the players. Big inquest after the game.

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:22 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Gray's saying it was the worst performance since he's been in charge and questioning the desire and hunger of some of the players. Big inquest after the game.
He's not wrong, the determination to win is a personal responsibility for each individual player. But what about his personal responsibilities? He needs to accept his failures as our manager and learn from them.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:48 pm

Big risk coming out and criticising the players in public. It can work but if it doesn't then he's nowhere to go next

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:54 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:Big risk coming out and criticising the players in public. It can work but if it doesn't then he's nowhere to go next
Possibly, but their lack of commitment was so obvious Stevie Wonder could have seen it.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:07 pm

MG did indeed push the investment angle again in interview. In his own words 'We're threadbare' and he's speaking with the directors about it. Also compared our squads to Harrogate and Salford's and the gulf between them.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:32 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:MG did indeed push the investment angle again in interview. In his own words 'We're threadbare' and he's speaking with the directors about it. Also compared our squads to Harrogate and Salford's and the gulf between them.
MG needs to ask Raj to gift us a 100k then and if Raj won't then just get on with the budget he has, because he is getting no more.