Darlington FC V South Shields Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlo reborn
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington FC V South Shields Match Thread

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:39 pm

NO DESIRE , NO PACE , NO CLUE, ENOUGH SAID

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:11 pm

I'm still raging about today! The biggest game of the season and the players (on the whole) couldn't give less of a toss if they tried!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:15 pm

MG has no chance of getting more money for new signings, surely he knows that, he has dished out contracts for average players, the fans have chipped in with £42k towards his budget and we have a stand to finance.He mentions Salford and Harrogate in his interview....well that's just too tough sadly as they have backers...we do not.How can we get rid of players on contracts without paying their contracts off.Sorry Martin, this is the squad you have assembled so it will have to be survival this season because no way are we good enough for a top 7 finish.Cannot remember a more embarrassing result in 50 years supporting Darlo.Still very angry after that shambles and I fail to see how players can come and go without increasing the playing budget.Resigned to a long hard season watching that today but hope to hell I am totally wrong.Let's see what happens leading up to the Boston game but 4 or 5 players should not be playing at this level and how does MG deal with that?.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

ex-exile

Post by ex-exile » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:31 pm

Well the manager has to take responsibility he brought in the new players this year, and the worst thing in my view was he gave two year contracts to players not good enough for this league.

Radar

Post by Radar » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:35 pm

Some of us fans, manager included, need to take your heads out of your backsides.

South Shields were a better side, and it wasn't because we didn't show passion, desire or commitment, it was because they have been very well organised, they play exceptional possession football, and they are all tactically astute. Their management team take a huge amount of credit for that because they have a philosophy to keep the ball moving at different speeds in different areas of the pitch. It doesn't happen overnight, they've worked and worked and worked on it over vast periods of time. The result of that time consuming work is what we all witnessed today. We were made to chase shadows. I don't buy the excuses given. We are a route one team which proved successful last season. It's not working as well this season.

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:36 pm

If players want to play football rather than just rotting in the squad without a game they can agree to terminate their contract. Or give them on a free transfer to other teams. That's how we can get rid of players on a contract without increasing our wage budget. The problem is, are any decent plays available who are not currently on a contract? It's unlikely!

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:40 pm

As for additional budget, get stuffed!
You've had £40k extra too much! What a waste of money! I'm disappointed that his suggestion was followed by both the club and the fans that donated. I said at the time the priority has to be the ground. That money could have made a difference to our ground but instead it's been wasted on a bellow average squad. Wages are a terrible investment when our infrastructure isn't up to scratch!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Radar wrote:Some of us fans, manager included, need to take your heads out of your backsides.

South Shields were a better side, and it wasn't because we didn't show passion, desire or commitment, it was because they have been very well organised, they play exceptional possession football, and they are all tactically astute. Their management team take a huge amount of credit for that because they have a philosophy to keep the ball moving at different speeds in different areas of the pitch. It doesn't happen overnight, they've worked and worked and worked on it over vast periods of time. The result of that time consuming work is what we all witnessed today. We were made to chase shadows. I don't buy the excuses given. We are a route one team which proved successful last season. It's not working as well this season.
It's not about the one game for me, South Shields are a good team and probably will be at this level in 2 years time but they weren't world beaters or unbeatable. We didn't even match them today.

We are a decent team with a full squad but our strength in depth is poor, we have a squad of 21 and at least 5 are not good enough, possibly more. We do have a lack of energy/pace in the team.

Change that defence to Hunter or Marrs/Brown/Collins/Galbraith and push Ferguson into midfield with Cartman alongside Beck we would me much better. Can't play both Caton and Gillies they both have no fight, you can get away with one but not two. However even then we are a good battling team but not a great team.

I see us about mid-table this year but I also see budget challenges ahead, attendances dropping below what I assume the budget will be.

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:51 pm

Radar wrote:Some of us fans, manager included, need to take your heads out of your backsides.

Couldn't agree more SS have lost just once in 44 games, let's all face it we just weren't good enough and they were up for it, end of.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:53 pm

I donated because I thought that it was important to keep the squad competitive while we raised funds for the stand. I also contributed towards the stand as well. We also put the gate price up £2 to keep Gray's budget the same. However, that's now backfired, as our crowds have gone down as a result.
I think things are tough for MG at the moment. He's asked for his budget to be kept the same, and we have, but results are worse. Was it worth the gamble? I guess if we'd have been up there, we'd all have been saying that Boost the Budget was worth it.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:56 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:I donated because I thought that it was important to keep the squad competitive while we raised funds for the stand. I also contributed towards the stand as well. We also put the gate price up £2 to keep Gray's budget the same. However, that's now backfired, as our crowds have gone down as a result.
I think things are tough for MG at the moment. He's asked for his budget to be kept the same, and we have, but results are worse. Was it worth the gamble? I guess if we'd have been up there, we'd all have been saying that Boost the Budget was worth it.
We decided to do it and we did, so we just get on with that to be honest. A lesson learned really though, I don't think throwing more money at it as Gray suggests will help.

I think that budget will be getting challenged with the attendances especially if they stay as low as the last two games.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:57 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:I donated because I thought that it was important to keep the squad competitive while we raised funds for the stand. I also contributed towards the stand as well. We also put the gate price up £2 to keep Gray's budget the same. However, that's now backfired, as our crowds have gone down as a result.
Again...we would only say it was worth if if the seats get funded; but as we are supposed to be running a sustainable model choosing to boost the budget when we have to rely on further fundraising to even be eligible for promotion is a mistake by the board imho

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:04 pm

shawry wrote:
Again...we would only say it was worth if if the seats get funded; but as we are supposed to be running a sustainable model choosing to boost the budget when we have to rely on further fundraising to even be eligible for promotion is a mistake by the board imho

A mistake by the board? If they hadn't have done it then Gray would have walked. Many people believed that we couldn't compete without pouring more money in, and that there would be no team without Martin Gray. It maybe was a mistake, but the majority supported the board's decision at the time.

How important Gray is remains to be seen. He's never had to deal with not having one of the biggest budgets in the league, now he has to, and we might be finding out that having a player with a long throw and a 6ft 8inch forward does not constitute being a great manager.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:11 pm

He's got a decision to make now anyway. He obviously wants to keep moving forward, hence the Boost the Budget, but at the moment it appears that we are stalling, quite naturally, as we need to get our infrastructure right. It appears he's getting frustrated with lots of talk about reaching our ceiling, comparisons with other bankrolled clubs. Things just don't seem to have been the same for him since he gambled on taking a stand whilst knowing that there was a very controversial and decisive figure waiting in the background. However, what can he do? Most of the squad are on 2 year contracts. Let's see what MG is made of now and see if he can tough it out, but all this talk from him recently implies that he won't want to live within his means.

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:13 pm

shawry wrote:

It was a mistake by MG insisting on it. Then the board agreeing it (although arguably as a fan owned club it was the right thing to do, i.e. Let the fans decide if it's the right thing to do). And then the fans for putting their money here rather than where it matters.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:26 pm

So if we wondered whether this team had reached its level, I think we now know it has.

To be outplayed, outfought and outhought by a team 2 leagues below is embarrassing. 3-0 didn't really do the Balance of the game justice!

A lot of today must be blamed on gray. Why play 4-5-1 with Only one half fit forward at home in the FA cup against a lower level team? Why play a half fit centre half who isn't good enough anyway when you have a young centre half raring to go, who did well only a week ago? Why let Cartman be cup tied, surely that's basic? Did he ever watch Caton play before signing him, I think not? Why bring Thompson on up front when he hasn't played well there in any game and not another youngster who actually has some pace and aggression? To be honest the questions could go on and on.

We all know the team is missing 3 defenders but does anyone honestly think the result would have been different.

We have become a slow, one paced team who seem to always go sideways and move the ball at a snails pace or guess what, launch it and hope for the best. They showed us how to play at pace to feet exactly like Spennymoor did!

Bottom line is that Gray has not brought in this summer one player that has actually improved the team, in fact some are not as good as what we already had! Again, it's basic poor management, I,m afraid.

However, he is right, the only way we will progress is with investment, I think we all know that. Oh, how different our season may have looked if we had not driven out what appears to be the only investor out there......another mistake?

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:30 pm

Quakerlad wrote:So if we wondered whether this team had reached its level, I think we now know it has.

To be outplayed, outfought and outhought by a team 2 leagues below is embarrassing. 3-0 didn't really do the Balance of the game justice!

A lot of today must be blamed on gray. Why play 4-5-1 with Only one half fit forward at home in the FA cup against a lower level team? Why play a half fit centre half who isn't good enough anyway when you have a young centre half raring to go, who did well only a week ago? Why let Cartman be cup tied, surely that's basic? Did he ever watch Caton play before signing him, I think not? Why bring Thompson on up front when he hasn't played well there in any game and not another youngster who actually has some pace and aggression? To be honest the questions could go on and on.

We all know the team is missing 3 defenders but does anyone honestly think the result would have been different.

We have become a slow, one paced team who seem to always go sideways and move the ball at a snails pace or guess what, launch it and hope for the best. They showed us how to play at pace to feet exactly like Spennymoor did!

Bottom line is that Gray has not brought in this summer one player that has actually improved the team, in fact some are not as good as what we already had! Again, it's basic poor management, I,m afraid.

However, he is right, the only way we will progress is with investment, I think we all know that. Oh, how different our season may have looked if we had not driven out what appears to be the only investor out there......another mistake?
Can't believe you posted that last paragraph

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Quakerlad wrote: However, he is right, the only way we will progress is with investment, I think we all know that. Oh, how different our season may have looked if we had not driven out what appears to be the only investor out there......another mistake?
No - we were right to reject Raj (well he rejected us because a few people said a few things about him on the internet). Oh, and he wasn't interested in the club - he only wanted to invest in MG. Raj was no saviour and accepting him would have damaged us fatally.

We'd have built up a massive playing budget, massive losses and when Raj realised the investment level needed to develop the club further, he'd have flounced off like he did last time, and that would have been curtains for us. No coming back again.

We'd have been selling our soul for a short-term hit. We're like junkies, needing a hit of cash every time the going gets tough.

I'm happy not to progress in the short-term if it means developing off-the-pitch. We now need a longer term strategy.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Rufusuk

Post by Rufusuk » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:43 pm

There will be no further financial investment in the squad.
There is no more money!

Invest in the youngsters like Vaulks , Wheatley and Saunders.
Get rid of the 'waste of money' players like Caton.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:49 pm

Quakerlad wrote:So if we wondered whether this team had reached its level, I think we now know it has.

I've got a lot of time for what this club has achieved but I'm afraid at the moment we don't seem to have a clear club strategy. On the one had we have the budget brigade who want to see a sustainable club but this is at odds with the success brigade. I'm firmly in the budget brigade because I have seen what can happen when clubs overstretch themselves. The club's revenue becomes a slush fund for players and some who may not be great value. You are right to ask about the Singh decision but we actually can't answer it because there is no clear strategy. Do we go for broke for promotion, buy the seats etc or do we accept that great dawns only come after years of sensible financial management. The infamous meeting last year merely reinforced my perception that there is a great divide about where the club wants to go.

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:54 pm

Quakerlad wrote:However, he is right, the only way we will progress is with investment, I think we all know that. Oh, how different our season may have looked if we had not driven out what appears to be the only investor out there......another mistake?
What a load of rubbish!!

We don't need an investor, we need solid management, budgetary control and patience (and a tiny bit of luck wouldn't go amiss). Having an investor might appear to be a short cut to success, but there's no such thing! It would be a few steps forward then many steps back.

As for that b****** RS, getting him in to help the club progress is akin to giving yourself cancer to try and loose weight, it might work in the short term but it'll end in tears.

shadwellman

Post by shadwellman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:26 pm

The season has officially ended.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:52 pm

shadwellman wrote:The season has officially ended.
Bit extreme we are 3 points off the playoff places.

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:03 pm

lo36789 wrote:
But he's arguably right. Today was that bad.

Plus we need £24k in 13 days for our ground development, which won't happen, so we won't have enough seats even if we make the play offs.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:55 pm

Very understandable gloom hanging around the board tonight. A shocking result, especially after the glimmer of hope raised by Wednesday night's result and second half performance (albeit a bit fortunate at times). It was clear that losing yet another defender to injury was never going to help the cause, but each injury the team has sustained has led to wholesale changes that have caused a major upheaval in other parts of the team. We have had no consistency of team membership or roles.

Excuse me if I have missed something but by my calculation we have had four different right backs, five different centre backs, three different left backs, ten different midfielders, and six different forwards. There was a lot of mishit passes, confusion over who to expect to be where, and several players getting in each other's way, or taking a ball better left for someone else. This was also a feature of the first half on Wednesday as well, but it is probably fair to say that Manchester were not as well organised as SS.

It is bad luck to have the injuries, but it seems like adding insult to injury to have managed the team in such a way that the whole shape of the team is being rewritten every time they go out to the confusion of all concerned. Was today's starting formation supposed to be 4-5-1? Beck seemed to be hoping that someone would break from midfield to catch his knock-downs and flicks, but the midfield seemed confused about who was supposed to be joining in the attack. As frustration grew, so did the waywardness of the passing, which became increasingly desperate and ultimately wasteful. Wheatley was lucky with a couple of really rash tackles that might have got him sent off. I admire his wholeheartedness but his enthusiasm was not as well directed as on Wednesday. Marrs also showed hot-headedness by racing into midfield chasing a lost cause, which left the space open from which they scored the second goal. Beck knocking down a ball for Cartman to run onto, but finding only Saunders on the pitch and unable to read the situation. Caton, beating a full back beautifully, and sending over a well flighted ball, only to find that no one had anticipated it and was easily cleared. All examples of players who were trying hard but coming up short because others were not on the same wavelength or were attempting to make up for the absence of others.

I don't think that all of our players have suddenly become terrible, but they clearly lack a game plan and a clear vision of the roles they are meant to be playing. SS knew what they wanted to do and that, in the end, made us look like 11 players who had never met before. As the results go against the team, then confidence also melts away, and giving away the early goal certainly rocked whatever self-belief had hung over from Wednesday night, and just as the players regained a bit of composure and began to put something together, they conceded the second goal, and all belief fell away.

I don't think we need new players, or a lot more changes, as suggested by MG in his interview. If anything more upheaval is the last thing the team needs. They need a plan, a bit of conviction, and a whole dollop of self-belief. Not easy, but that is why the manager is the manager. MG must show he's able to get going when the going gets tough.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:10 am

Why when we get the ball, is the first instinct to pass the ball backwards. Then when the defender is pressed they just have to lump it forward?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:39 am

The word to describe everything at the moment is desperation. Many fans appear desperate to continue our recent success, which is not helping. MG talked about the players playing under pressure yesterday. Is that a sign of the desperation getting to them too? After yesterday people have panicked and unfortunately seen to FA cup as a cash cow to fund the rest of the pitch for the seats. Again, this stems from desperation for promotion this season.
We are becoming Leeds Utd if we aren't careful, with a divine right to promotion attitude. MG also gives mixed messages on this. After Chorley on one hand he said we had no divine right to win the league, then after yesterday he wants massive changes. We keep hearing a number of people saying 'Remember how far we've come in a short space of time'. That should be changed to 'Remember how far we've come in a short space of time as a fan-owned club'. If we carry on as we are we'll be in financial trouble again next year with dwindling crowds and a boom-and-bust attitude. People want to get back to the FL before we can walk, but the football landscape has changed severely in just the last 5 years and money now talks more than ever, which we ain't got. Again, Gray comparing us with Harrogate and Salford in interview is insubordinate and does not help. Desperation.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:41 am

liddle_4_ever wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Plus we need £24k in 13 days for our ground development, which won't happen, so we won't have enough seats even if we make the play offs.

That's our self-imposed deadline. We have until 31st March to have everything built.

liddle_4_ever

Post by liddle_4_ever » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:29 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
liddle_4_ever wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

That's our self-imposed deadline. We have until 31st March to have everything built.
Isn't this fundraising deadline not the same as others, in that if we don't receive the full amount all donations get refunded? I genuinely don't know, I just presumed it was. But is it not fair to say that that date wasn't just plucked out of thin air but was related to the work that needs doing by the league deadline?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:33 am

It does give us a buffer time to collect all monies and ensure that work is done in time if there are any problems, but I'm sure that we could move either 1 or the other deadline by a few weeks.