Josh Gillies

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Gillies

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:04 am

m62exile wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:Is this the same Alan White who many said should be sacked for his bad discipline? Make your minds up!!
Was just about to post the same thing.

Amazing how people can rewrite history to suit their own ends.

FWIW Gillies is an exceptionally talented footballer who is clearly good enough at this level.

But he's inconsistent and MG's hoofball tactics obviously don't suit him.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
I'd say Gillies has shown flashes of being an "exceptionally talented" footballer but I don't think you can blame MG's "hoofball" tactics for not being able to get a direct free kick on target, be able to cross with your left foot, or be committed enough to get back in to shape when you lose the ball. I'm trying and failing to come up with an outstanding performance this season.

I agree that he looks like a player with potential brilliance in him but looking at it objectively he made 12 appearances for Carlisle 5 years ago and its been a downward trend since. At 27 he should be at his physical peak but I'd imagine if he doesn't begin to produce something he'll be on his way.
If we're speaking generally then I'd say Gray's typically direct style of play does not favour Gillies.

Yes he has responsibility here - and I agree he's been very inconsistent for a while. Some of his deliveries on Saturday were poor.

I also don't think Gray quite knows where to get the best out of him. I don't think playing wide suits him best - from what I've seen he's better more centrally.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Gillies

Post by JE93 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:20 am

Darlogramps wrote:
m62exile wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:Is this the same Alan White who many said should be sacked for his bad discipline? Make your minds up!!
Was just about to post the same thing.

Amazing how people can rewrite history to suit their own ends.

FWIW Gillies is an exceptionally talented footballer who is clearly good enough at this level.

But he's inconsistent and MG's hoofball tactics obviously don't suit him.

I'd say Gillies has shown flashes of being an "exceptionally talented" footballer but I don't think you can blame MG's "hoofball" tactics for not being able to get a direct free kick on target, be able to cross with your left foot, or be committed enough to get back in to shape when you lose the ball. I'm trying and failing to come up with an outstanding performance this season.

I agree that he looks like a player with potential brilliance in him but looking at it objectively he made 12 appearances for Carlisle 5 years ago and its been a downward trend since. At 27 he should be at his physical peak but I'd imagine if he doesn't begin to produce something he'll be on his way.
If we're speaking generally then I'd say Gray's typically direct style of play does not favour Gillies.

Yes he has responsibility here - and I agree he's been very inconsistent for a while. Some of his deliveries on Saturday were poor.

I also don't think Gray quite knows where to get the best out of him. I don't think playing wide suits him best - from what I've seen he's better more centrally.

Tend to agree with you gramps. I know it's been a poor start to the season. But Gillies is our joint top scorer on 4 and I'd back him to get to around 12 for the season.

I've wondered is playing a 4-3-2-1 formation with a slightly narrower 2 attacking midfielders of Gillies and Syers infront of Wheatley, Turnbull and Portas. Would give them the freedom to come inside more and get into the space between opposition Defence and Midfield.