So, where do we go from here

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Poll ended at Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Stick with Martin and his staff?
73%
Hope he's resigns and we can start afresh?
27%

Total votes: 49

AndyPark
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by AndyPark » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:41 pm

How do you feel right about our situation.

darlo2001uk

Re: So, where do we go from here

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Is this a joke or are you serious?

tezza

Post by tezza » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:48 pm

I think it is a legitimate question. One that has to be asked. All of the togetherness of the past few seasons evaporated that one infamous evening at the fans forum. The architect of "the laughing stock" jibe is reaping what he sowed.

tezza

Post by tezza » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:52 pm

By definition if we are questioning the quality, ability and commitment of the players, then the ability of guy responsible for assembling, organising and motivating them equally has to be questioned.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:00 pm

tezza wrote:I think it is a legitimate question. One that has to be asked. All of the togetherness of the past few seasons evaporated that one infamous evening at the fans forum. The architect of "the laughing stock" jibe is reaping what he sowed.
Not sure I agree with the question at the moment however I can see we are moving closer to it.

Gray clearly doesn't realise that his ambush in the summer has seriously dented his reputation/support in terms of the fan base.

Not convinced him advising he will chat with the board for more money because he has spent the current money on players not capable on achieving what he wants them to.

Ray asks if that means investment and Gray says Correct. Well Martin we have no more money, so you need to make space in our budget by shipping some out.

tezza

Post by tezza » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:07 pm

Gray is not a team player. His personal ambition is not easing our situation. His failure to recognise that the extent of our resources currently cannot fulfill that ambition is yet another example of his increasingly bad judgement.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Trouble I see he can't just ship players on 2 year contracts out - and that is a lot of the squad.
Also, Tezza, another point about MG is that in my view he did serious damage to the fundraising that night and is continuing to do it by banging on about investment.

tezza

Post by tezza » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Emphasizing his lack of judgement and contempt for our slight resources.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:17 pm

tezza wrote:Gray is not a team player. His personal ambition is not easing our situation. His failure to recognise that the extent of our resources currently cannot fulfill that ambition is yet another example of his increasingly bad judgement.
The flip side of that is Gray's ambition is why we got where we are so fast.

However he has set himself up that he has stated he can only do anything with more funds/investment, we don't have any more funds or investment so not sure where Gray and Darlington FC go long term.

Gramps thread on 'Short-termism' probably hits the nail on the head, Gray has been the driving force for some time and really we need to be more clear on our clubs plans and not just on the pitch plans.

Needs some strong board direction but not more money thrown at an already reasonable sized budget.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Trouble I see he can't just ship players on 2 year contracts out - and that is a lot of the squad.
Also, Tezza, another point about MG is that in my view he did serious damage to the fundraising that night and is continuing to do it by banging on about investment.
Jameson/Wearmouth and probably others, players with contracts can go. They go even easier if you don't want a fee for them.

tezza

Post by tezza » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:46 pm

I have always supported this and other boards. We as fans owe them all a deep gratitude. I recognised early on that Gray was a Maverick, difficult for a part time board to control Jesper being the exception)

What i had never realised until the fateful fans forum were the level of betrayal he was capable of once 30 pieces of silver flashed before his eyes. Here was an opportunity to perhaps realise his burning abmition, forget loyalty to the fans, contempt displayed not only for them but to the model he had consistently supported as it now seems it suited him.

Effectively this and other boards have been operating with a "cuckoo" in the nest.

A quote he sometimes uses "if things are not working, we have to take a look and change them"

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:54 pm

Tezza, what do you make of the fact that our CEO is a fellow director of MGs Academy. Do you think, as David Johnston has publicly stated, that he has come in to look for outside investment and match MGs ambitions? Do you then support our board with such an ally of MG on it?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:04 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Tezza, what do you make of the fact that our CEO is a fellow director of MGs Academy. Do you think, as David Johnston has publicly stated, that he has come in to look for outside investment and match MGs ambitions? Do you then support our board with such an ally of MG on it?
He admitted he was involved with Grays academy at the first forum where he introduced himself. Old news.

tezza

Post by tezza » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:06 pm

The problem goes back a little while ago.
Before the fateful fans forum, to the ground/seats failure.
The hounding out of 2 good Directors. This left us short of the required functioning numbers. Critics thick on the ground, replacements not so.
This left the gap that you imply has been filled by cronies.

So in that sense i guess we as fans have brought this about.

In so doing we may have placed Gray in a position he views as impervious. Time will tell

It would be nice to have visibility of "the damned elusive pimpernel"

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Tezza, what do you make of the fact that our CEO is a fellow director of MGs Academy. Do you think, as David Johnston has publicly stated, that he has come in to look for outside investment and match MGs ambitions? Do you then support our board with such an ally of MG on it?
Nothing at companies house showing David Johnston a current director at MGFA so your post is totally wrong and just rumour mongering.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:20 pm

DarloDave40 wrote:
Nothing at companies house showing David Johnston a current director at MGFA so your post is totally wrong and just rumour mongering.

Active Director of Martin Gray's Centre of Excellence.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

tezza

Post by tezza » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:24 pm

I 100% support John Tempest. That is not to say he is always 100% right, he has however the well being of the club and interests of the fans as his motivation.

He is in no way motivated by greed, self interest or full-fillment of personal ambition.

How he continues is something i find amazing, and he deserves more acolades than he gets. What he really needs, as does the club, is more board members, not drawn on partisan lines as you allude to. People with the right skills experience and professional acumen.

Bearing in mind that the very able Richard Cook fell, wrongly in my opinion,on the sword of integrity, given his specific brief and objective to deliver a ground in Darlington. Then given that David made it his objective to bring in private finance, is it too much to expect the sme outcome given that this avenue seems unlikely to bring any yield

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:28 pm

Thank you Allan. Darlo Dave, eat your words please. I don't spread rumours, there's enough people doing that. Nor am I trying to cause a stir or drag up old news, Robbo. I was merely asking Tezza about his views on this. It's a perfectly legitimate point to raise, that MG obviously wants outside investment, and if he's been a director of DFC and MGs academy, and clearly to have that sort of close working relationship, then does David Johnston share that view that this is the way forward. It is rather an important issue going forward.
Last edited by Vodka_Vic on Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Cheers Tezza. Yeah I agree, that getting someone else on board to help John Tempest would be fantastic, but as we know, there's not many folks out there it seems.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:41 pm

If we have to start triming the budget, which we will, then do we really need such a large coaching staff? Gray, Gregan and Atkinson together must take up a fair perecentage of the budget. I'm guessing a manager and one assistant would be typical at this level?

tezza

Post by tezza » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:49 pm

Has has been stated, we need a long term strategy for the club with specific milestones.

This is being discussed on other threads.

The problem is that thread fails to recognise the board make up and assumes they are in tune with the previous objectives. Given the current complexion of this board the aims and aspirations may be based on an agenda not akin to fan and club interests.

Given what you have alluded to is the chairman going to raise, or pass the motion.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:02 pm

I think next weeks game is crucial, if we lose at Boston then we'll be close or in the relegation zone and the pressure will only build on Gray.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:36 am

Not meaning any disrespect to AndyPark but this is a pointless poll, he isn't going anywhere and even talking about sacking/resignation is ludicrous at this stage.

We're in a hole right now there's no doubt about it 1 win in 9 in all competitions and that coming against, with respect, one of the poorest teams in the league. As Graham Taylor once said though "you got us into this mess, now you get us out of it" - there are certain players also who have probably been mentioned elsewhere already who I don't think can honestly look at themselves and say they've been good enough, they haven't and far from it and they must take their share of the blame.

I think some of them have gotten too comfortable the majority of them know that regardless they will be picked week in week out as there is nobody competing for their place, how many reserve players do we see challenging for a first team spot? I fail to see how replacing Gray can be seen as a step forward as any new manager will inherit the same group of players and same budget/financial constraints he has also it raises the question of who we bring into replace him? And also who will do better than what he's doing now?

A good team doesn't become a bad one over night we saw in the first few games particularly at Salford and York what they're capable of the quality is there and the ability is there, yes we have injuries but some of the results particularly on Saturday are inexcusable. My one big criticism of Gray this season has been some of his signings, especially Fenwick it really does say it all that Nathan Cartman who looked to have one foot through the exit has returned from Farsley and is once again our first choice striker.

It was inevitable after being spoiled with a 5-year long purple patch that we'd hit a bump in the road and this is a big test for an element of our fans as to whether or not they support the team or the glory.

As for the original question of where we go from here, it's hard to say and touching up on what DarloGramps said about short-termism and he is correct we're a club built on short-term thinking and as long as we are fan-owned I think we shall remain that way, we do not have the luxury of a benefactor as per Salford, Fylde etc to fall back on and we're in a situation where we have to look at what we've got year on year and go from there the days of boom or bust are long gone.

The immediate priority as ever is the ground and at the time of writing we have 11 days to raise approximately £24,000 and should we fail to do so we're just going to have to see where we go from there, there's not much else we can do.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:12 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:I think next weeks game is crucial, if we lose at Boston then we'll be close or in the relegation zone and the pressure will only build on Gray.
I'll bite because all comments like this do is sensationalise things. I mean this thread is ridiculous as it is but this comment just tops it off.

Pete please do present me the combination of results which would result in us being in the relegation zone.

Let me give you a starter...

We are in 11th place on 16 points
Gainsborough are currently the highest placed team in the relegation zone on 8 points.

You get 3 points for a win. Even if Boston beat us they will still be 2 points behind us.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:42 am

Yarblockos wrote:If we have to start triming the budget, which we will, then do we really need such a large coaching staff? Gray, Gregan and Atkinson together must take up a fair perecentage of the budget. I'm guessing a manager and one assistant would be typical at this level?
Plus a goalkeeping coach in Mark Bell.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:13 am

I admit to being tempted to press the "Gray should go" button, but it is too early. 7 points out of 9 from the next three games, before we face the local Blyth mountain, and we could all be seeing things in a different light. Mind you, 1 or 2 points from those 9 and...

bga

Post by bga » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:13 am

Andy I notice you have not indicated how you have voted?

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:24 am

I don't think the answer choices of this poll could be anymore bias!!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:53 am

bertbanger wrote:I don't think the answer choices of this poll could be anymore bias!!
I am pretty sure hope he leaves and stick with him is pretty much one and the same...haha

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:08 am

I mis-read it lol