York sack Mills

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Nimrod
Team Supported: Darlington

York sack Mills

Post by Nimrod » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:10 pm

Will they come for Gray?

HarrytheQuaker

Re: York sack Mills

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:36 pm

This is not even worth a comment... Stupid post

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:38 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:This is not even worth a comment... Stupid post
Agree totally

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:46 pm

They might have in the summer but I think after our start I would be very surprised. Although they have a good budget and if you give Gray a good budget he normally gets a decent set of results.

I am sure they will consider it but would assume they will have other options.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:48 pm

Word is they have shown an interest in him previously.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:51 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Word is they have shown an interest in him previously.
Yes I do believe some truth in that, yes.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:38 pm

Nimrod wrote:Will they come for Gray?
Neil Redfearn nailed on

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:35 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:They might have in the summer but I think after our start I would be very surprised. Although they have a good budget and if you give Gray a good budget he normally gets a decent set of results.

Better than our budget???

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:42 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:They might have in the summer but I think after our start I would be very surprised. Although they have a good budget and if you give Gray a good budget he normally gets a decent set of results.

You would assume York budget will be in the top 3 alongside Salford & Harrogate.

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:12 pm

Redfearn & Gray joint favs on Betfair at 8/1

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:26 pm

Gray 2/1 on Bet Victor
Redfearn 10/1

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:49 pm

Betvictor has Gray 1/2

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:12 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Definitely better than ours, as they are full time. Gray may decide that he's taken Darlo are far as we can go, on the budget we have, certainly for this season.

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:25 pm

Parkin alone rumoured to be on £2k per week. Budget is apparently only second to Salford

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:42 am

Except this season.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:15 am

Nimrod wrote:Betvictor has Gray 1/2
To go from Redfearn at 6-1 and Gray at 8/1 to Gray 1/2 suggests someone knows something

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:44 am

Be careful what you wish for. It would be very damaging for the club if we lose Martin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radar

Post by Radar » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:48 am

Gray and his management team are nailed on for the York job. I heard a week ago Gary Mills would be sacked and Gray was the man. At the time didn't really take any notice but the fact Mills has now gone and the bookies have Gray as the favourite suggests there had to be some truth in what I was told.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:49 am

The Golden Hairclip wrote:Be careful what you wish for. It would be very damaging for the club if we lose Martin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would be damaging, apart from his performance at the last fans forum, Gray's been good.

The more I think back to that night the worse it gets!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:50 am

Even though results have been awful these last 10 games or so, it will still be disappointing if MG decides to go, but if he is chipping away at the club wanting more money that we just don't have at this point in time and not prepared to be patient taking into account the need for ground improvements, then sadly he will have to move on.He is obviously ambitious and may feel he has taken us as far as he can, hope this is not the case and he stays but I have a feeling he will take the York job this time if offered.Strange also that no post match interview available as yet but may be nothing in this hopefully.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:01 am

Got to agree with the above - it will be a blow to loose Gray but he may have reached as far as he can go with us. York are a full time side with a big budget and offer a vehicle for him to get closer to the football league. We cant offer that at this stage.

Perhaps it is time for a change for all parties

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:08 am

The odds tell their own story

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:13 am

I always hoped that Gregan would succeed Gray, but that is now looking unlikely if Gray leaves and takes his management team with him.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:27 am

Do York have enough money to pay up 3 and a half years on the contract for MG? (That would be the seats paid for!).
Joking aside, MG has always stated that he wants to finish the job here. Will his ambitions to manage a full time club be elsewhere? I'm not convinced. As regards the bookies, it doesn't have to be the case that they know something. Looking at the pure logic of the situation from the outside, MG does look the right man, but I'm not convinced and I don't think it's a done deal.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:33 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Do York have enough money to pay up 3 and a half years on the contract for MG? (That would be the seats paid for!).
A good point, not a joke.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:35 am

While losing Gray would be disappointing more worrying is who else would also go. Presumably the other coaching staff and some of the better players who fancy a go at full time football but what about Dave Johnson who is, after all, only here because of Grays desire to get investment into the club. We would be back to a board of one, the supporters group without a leader to help out and no one to run the team.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:43 am

I wouldn't look at it quite like that. Who says Gregan/Atkinson would go? Or the CEO.

And are our better players only here because of Gray?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Undercovered

Post by Undercovered » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:45 am

JUst because someone has a set period on their contract doesn't necessarily mean that there will be a large amount of compensation. I'd expect there will be get out clauses just like Pardew at Newcastle who had an 8 year deal but got nowhere near 8 years wages when he was sacked.

polam

Post by polam » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:45 am

The Gray who is 1/4 on BetVictor is Stuart Gray. Martin Gray not in the running.

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:49 am

Gray has done an incredible job with us and it's only natural that teams without a manager would be interested in a look at him who could potentially afford him and his demands. There is a lot of short term focus on gray with people maybe having their judgement on his time with us clouded by this recent run of results but the bigger picture is he has has hauled us up 3 leagues in 5 seasons, never missing out on a play off position in any season. That regardless of budget takes some doing.
There is no divine right to winning football games because you have a more expensive budget as we have done than other teams on our way up. You need to put a capable squad together and keep them focused and committed and standards continually set higher and higher to reach goals. Grays overall record for us must be by far the best in the clubs history.
That being said ever since that fans forum something has not been right with him. He created a divide between club members and fans which a manager should never do and we are still struggling from this as attendances have shown. Despite Blackwells obvious problems in regards to watching a football match, I am staggered that crowds haven't been consistently around the 2k mark even despite recent results. For me it's the style of play. Ever since I've supported Darlington from when I can remember, 1990 onwards, there is an expectation amongst the fans that we like to see the ball on the floor. While Grays style has always been direct it has been mixed up in previous seasons with some great passing football mixed in with hitting our target man. This season that has completely gone.
With odds off 1/2 that Gray will be off to York there must be some substance to this, bookies rarely put odds like that out unless they know something. For me if gray goes we are in the strange position of losing our best ever manager but the feeling will be that it's for the best. It would be a sad end to surely our most successful period but in football clubs move on. Not sure who we would go for but the options for us wouldn't be short. We will be fine either way.