Gray gone

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Gray gone

Post by divas » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:18 pm

Resigned - taken the club as far as he can within the current structure and funding

Atkinson and Gregan to step up until the end of the season. Best of luck lads.

LoidLucan

Re: Gray gone

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:25 pm

I believe he turned them down once before and decided to stay with us. Obviously this time he felt we didn't match up to his ambitions and he has found himself a bigger and better club that does match up.
Hopefully Atkinson and Gregan can steady the ship and get us back on track as a fan-owned club because clearly things haven't been right recently.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:26 pm

David Johnston next ?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:31 pm

For such a successful manager, I feel pretty meh about this. And that is pretty much entirely to do with his behaviour at the end of last season. 2 poor months and he quits.

I thank him for the promotions.

Hopefully we can now have a manager who fits into the ownership structure of the club.

Wonder if we get any compensation what with him resigning. Be pretty poor if we don't and he immediately goes to another club

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:32 pm

Where does this leave us with compensation - assuming he does go to York - if he has resigned without the club being approached to let him go?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:35 pm

If he's so insistent on going to a club with a better budget, that club can give us some damn money for the three years or whatever he had left on his contract.

No room to be bloody charitable about this.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:36 pm

Doubt we'll get anything. He's resigned from his job as is his right. Then York come in and appoint a manager who's free to join them.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:37 pm

Criag Stoddart reporting he's been approached by York (to work under Dave Penney as director of football). I'll be fuming if we don't get any compensation, as it would be obvious what's happened.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:38 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Doubt we'll get anything. He's resigned from his job as is his right. Then York come in and appoint a manager who's free to join them.
He's done a lot for this club, but this club's done a lot for him... the least he could do is stay so we get compo, as it stands we'll get nothing, which leaves a bit of a sour taste if that's how things pan out

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:39 pm

I'm really not sure about that. He was on a fixed term contract and left it early. Either he or York owe us money, if it's him it'll probably be paid by York.

There's a reason he had a five year contract - so both parties had security. He's the one who broke it.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:40 pm

And he's been appointed. Quick turn around between him resigning and then being approached by York. What a coincidence.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:41 pm

al_quaker wrote:For such a successful manager, I feel pretty meh about this. And that is pretty much entirely to do with his behaviour at the end of last season. 2 poor months and he quits.

Hopefully we can now have a manager who fits into the ownership structure of the club.

Wonder if we get any compensation what with him resigning. Be pretty poor if we don't and he immediately goes to another club
BRILLIANT POST.

My exact thoughts too. He couldn't wait just a little bit of time to get the team and other things back on track.

A lot of this is down to his infamous Fans Forum performance and the subsequent fall out - the least said about that the better.

This leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:45 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
al_quaker wrote:For such a successful manager, I feel pretty meh about this. And that is pretty much entirely to do with his behaviour at the end of last season. 2 poor months and he quits.

BRILLIANT POST.

My exact thoughts too. He couldn't wait just a little bit of time to get the team and other things back on track.

A lot of this is down to his infamous Fans Forum performance and the subsequent fall out - the least said about that the better.

This leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
How I feel too.

It shows yet more disdain for the fans of this club who have funded our rise through the leagues and given him a managerial track record and platform to get a full time job.

Thanks for guiding the players to promotion. That's about it from me.

A real shame that his ego has over-ridden the opportunity to create a real legacy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

gabbas

Post by gabbas » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:46 pm

Wonder what grays salary was? Might just have paid for the roof.

Blackwell64

Post by Blackwell64 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:50 pm

The next month or two will be interesting, looking at it optimistically it could be the fresh change we need.

Also it would leave a it of a stain on the end of his tenure if Gray did this without Darlington getting anything especially after his knowledge of the situation ( off the pitch ) at Darlo.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:50 pm

We will just get a pre season friendly out of it like last time[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:51 pm

gabbas wrote:Wonder what grays salary was? Might just have paid for the roof.
Fair point. I'd imagine Atkinson and Gregan will be getting a pay rise to reflect their increased responsibilities, but if any money is being saved on Gray's salary then I hope that goes towards BM. It'll be interesting to see how we go under Atkinson and Gregan.

Also, any compensation, if we do receive any, should go towards infrastructure. I hope we receive confirmation either way as to whether we will receive some compensation.

I see Steve McLaren has popped up in the York City statement, confirming he recommended Gray to York while Gray was still our manager. Nice.
Last edited by al_quaker on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:52 pm

It comes to something when I'm not even arsed that he's gone. I used to think that the sun shone out of his arse, but he showed his true colours at the fans forum and I could never get past that.

The thing that I'm annoyed about is that he has gone to York, and the way it's been done.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Now that really was a quick turn-around. Gray gets back from Curzon Ashton at about 8 last night and between then and lunchtime today the York chairman has interviewed Gray and made the appointment...mmmm.... smacks of an illegal approach to someone under contract if you ask me.

gabbas

Post by gabbas » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:56 pm

Wonder if yesterday's performance was the sign of players new he was leaving.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:58 pm

The board should be clarifying what compensation we have received here. Especially, as someone has noted above, McClaren has recommended him while under contract here, which means York had definitely sounded him out before his resignation.

He broke the contract, money owed. Probably from York. Relative buttons i'm sure, but may well pay for the roof on the stand.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:03 pm

gabbas wrote:Wonder what grays salary was? Might just have paid for the roof.
Might be some money free as BA/SG will require a pay rise,all helps.

Not sorry to see him go and think we should get compo (contract a two way agreement ) providing we play a straight bat.

As many have said on here funds should go to the ground,sure we can get to play off contention with our budget in this league.

gabbas

Post by gabbas » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:04 pm

It's a bit soon to be asking the board for a statement and want comp we have received. Might be a long way to go before that's settled.

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:08 pm

I wonder how long he will get at York i bet it's not 5 years

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:13 pm

One thing's for sure... he will have to deliver very quickly at York. They are a full-time club in a largely part-time league and for the fans only a promotion this season will do. No talk of steadying the ship or consolidation, Gray will have to get them up this season or he'll likely be out on on his ear. And the game against York at BM could be an interesting one!

offside

Post by offside » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:16 pm

He did himself no favours with some results over the last few weeks and playing the same way game in game out with players that should of gone at the start of the seaon NOT offering them 2 year contracts... We needed defenders and we bloody signed forwards!!!... Yes u cant take away what he has done but without a budget that was bigger than most clubs in them divisions what would he have done??

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:41 pm

Recall for Burgess?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:42 pm

Hope not, he's shite.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:44 pm

And not fit

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:55 pm

Can't feel too bitter towards Gray, after what he has managed to achieve over the last 5 or so years. Well chuffed that Gregan and Atkinson have stayed behind, I think Gregan's commitment to the club over the last 5 years has been nothing short of fantastic. I think we are in safe hands with his and Atkinson's appointment. It's good that there will be continuity and staff get promoted from within.