Gray gone

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

real_darlo_85
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gray gone

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:04 pm

Well this is a new situation for us and in terms of continued rebuilding is pretty crucial. Under our new guise as a fan-owned club who is going to make the decision of next manager? Who can we attract, who is willing to work within the budget and framework we currently have? In terms of the board how will this affect looking for new investment?

For some who wanted a new start after recent on and off field difficulties, you have got your wish. However don't come crying if we start sliding backwards, it may well be that we take a relegation or two to start moving forward again. Under Gray we may or may not of gained promotion but pretty sure we'd have had some stability. This is now a step into the unknown...
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:08 pm

It's already been announced that Brian Atkinson and Sean Gregan will look after the first team until the end of the season so this isn't an earthquake as far as we're concerned.

I'm feeling a lot better about things now Gray's gone.

Good luck to them both.

Come on Darlo!
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:09 pm

offside wrote:He did himself no favours with some results over the last few weeks and playing the same way game in game out with players that should of gone at the start of the seaon NOT offering them 2 year contracts... We needed defenders and we bloody signed forwards!!!... Yes u cant take away what he has done but without a budget that was bigger than most clubs in them divisions what would he have done??
We actually signed more defenders than forwards but don’t let the facts get in the way of a whinge!
Also don’t be surprised if some of our better players make the move down the road too. Still it will keep the anti gray mob happy!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:19 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote: However don't come crying if we start sliding backwards, it may well be that we take a relegation or two to start moving forward again.
A couple of relegations? LOL, despite the league being full of money clubs we still have a GOOD budget, and those clubs will eventually move on.

Where the hell does a relegation or two enter the picture? We'd have to be chronically mismanaged for that to happen.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:22 pm

loan_star wrote:
offside wrote:He did himself no favours with some results over the last few weeks and playing the same way game in game out with players that should of gone at the start of the seaon NOT offering them 2 year contracts... We needed defenders and we bloody signed forwards!!!... Yes u cant take away what he has done but without a budget that was bigger than most clubs in them divisions what would he have done??
We actually signed more defenders than forwards but don’t let the facts get in the way of a whinge!
Also don’t be surprised if some of our better players make the move down the road too. Still it will keep the anti gray mob happy!
I can't really think of many players that can improve York?

Also, some of our players are with us because it suits them to be part time - like Turnbull, Syers and possibly Bartlett.

Others would be better off staying part time and having the day job/football wage.

How many out of those left are realistically good enough to go full time and would be better off as a full time footballer?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

The_Natural

Post by The_Natural » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:00 pm

So Gray demands more money for the budget, gets the fans fund raising for it which could have gone on a new stand, then fucks off anyway a quarter of the way through the season, really does take the piss when you think of it.....thanks 'Mr Darlington'

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:09 pm

Quakerz wrote:
loan_star wrote:

Also, some of our players are with us because it suits them to be part time - like Turnbull, Syers and possibly Bartlett.

Others would be better off staying part time and having the day job/football wage.

How many out of those left are realistically good enough to go full time and would be better off as a full time footballer?
I can think of 1 who wants to get back into full time football and there are others who may be tempted if the money was right.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:13 pm

loan_star wrote:
Quakerz wrote:
loan_star wrote:

I can think of 1 who wants to get back into full time football and there are others who may be tempted if the money was right.
Ferguson.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:14 pm

QuakerPete wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Now that really was a quick turn-around. Gray gets back from Curzon Ashton at about 8 last night and between then and lunchtime today the York chairman has interviewed Gray and made the appointment...mmmm.... smacks of an illegal approach to someone under contract if you ask me.
So, compensation already agreed?
Then why would he resign? If the clubs had agreed compensation then we could have just given York permission to speak to Gray surely

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:16 pm

Don't Gregan and Atkinson work for Gray?

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:30 pm

wizardofos wrote:Don't Gregan and Atkinson work for Gray?

This was going to be my point, Im sure Atkinson works for Grays Academy.
Although I have nothing but praise for Gray and he helped us off our knees, I was never comfortable with the link and the conflict of interests between the academy and the club.
If the club wants to set up an academy, great, but it should only be to the benefit of Darlington football club.
At first I was thinking about a fresh change bit I think we should give Gregan and Atkinson a change - football is cut throat and you have to look after yourself so I am sure Gregan and Atkinson will have there own ideas on how things should be done.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:38 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
wizardofos wrote:Don't Gregan and Atkinson work for Gray?

This was going to be my point, Im sure Atkinson works for Grays Academy.
Although I have nothing but praise for Gray and he helped us off our knees, I was never comfortable with the link and the conflict of interests between the academy and the club.
If the club wants to set up an academy, great, but it should only be to the benefit of Darlington football club.
At first I was thinking about a fresh change bit I think we should give Gregan and Atkinson a change - football is cut throat and you have to look after yourself so I am sure Gregan and Atkinson will have there own ideas on how things should be done.
Well Gray worked for Darlington FC and resigned, so maybe they'll resign from working for Martin Gray?

Hadn't thought about the angle of him demanding the fans put in more of their hard earned money to help him achieve results and then he fucks off.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:49 pm

al_quaker wrote:
QuakerPete wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Now that really was a quick turn-around. Gray gets back from Curzon Ashton at about 8 last night and between then and lunchtime today the York chairman has interviewed Gray and made the appointment...mmmm.... smacks of an illegal approach to someone under contract if you ask me.

So, compensation already agreed?
Then why would he resign? If the clubs had agreed compensation then we could have just given York permission to speak to Gray surely
Perhaps Martin tendered his resignation and we accepted. No strings attached. Clearly this decision wouldn't be in the club's best interests and if an 'official' took this decision despite full knowledge of York's interest in Martin then it would amount to maladministration. I don't know anything and I'm not making any accusations but it's certainly a question worth asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:55 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
QuakerPete wrote:
Perhaps Martin tendered his resignation and we accepted. No strings attached. Clearly this decision wouldn't be in the club's best interests and if an 'official' took this decision despite full knowledge of York's interest in Martin then it would amount to maladministration. I don't know anything and I'm not making any accusations but it's certainly a question worth asking.
The thought had crossed my head to be honest. I'm not one who thinks because we're fan owned we need to know everything, but I would like to know this, as if we've accepted a resignation in such obvious circumstances then questions would need to be asked about those who accepted the resignation (unless Gray had a clause in his contract etc.)

AlanSprouts

Post by AlanSprouts » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:13 pm

Dial "H" for Four Times a Quaker anyone??

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:39 pm

It is clear we could not meet MG's expectations and provide him with the vehicle to fulfill those ambitions. I am sorry that it ends like this (performance wise) but it was time for a change. We have been very poor recently.

MG has outgrown what we can offer him and it was time for him to move on. We have spent an awful lot of money that I doubt we had trying to support those ambitions and it seems clear that couldn't go on. Thanks for the hard work and the promotions and the success but MG had gone as far with us as our funding could support.

Good luck to him but thoughts now turn to supporting Atkinson and Gregan in taking us onward and upward.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:12 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:Perhaps Martin tendered his resignation and we accepted. No strings attached. Clearly this decision wouldn't be in the club's best interests and if an 'official' took this decision despite full knowledge of York's interest in Martin then it would amount to maladministration. I don't know anything and I'm not making any accusations but it's certainly a question worth asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very good point and I'm hoping this doesn't get missed in all the chaos and speculation. If you know your manager is going to leave and take a job at a rival club then you are within your rights to demand compensation. If Gray's resignation means we are not eligible for compensation then is certainly suggests someone on the board is acting against the best interests of the club.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:40 pm

Can only thank Gray for 5 great seasons but it seems to me that he would constantly be putting the club under pressure to give him a playing budget we could I'll afford.I think he has underestimated the strength of this league this season, has given out too many 2 year contracts and has failed to improve the squad.He stated we were going for the title, fans gave him £42k towards his budget and we fail to beat N Ferriby, Boston and Curzon. He now comes out and states he has taken us as far as he can under this model, yet just 2 months ago he wanted automatic promotion.Think you got it wrong Martin and can count yourself fortunate to land the York job on the back of this seasons efforts.Anyway the best of luck and more importantly the best of luck to Brian and Sean who will get the support they deserve from us Darlo fans and hopefully can change our style of football to playing it on the deck more.Up the Quakers, this season is no way over just yet.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:42 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:We will just get a pre season friendly out of it like last time[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Called it... I can't bloody believe this only DFC could do this... Piss up in a brewery spring to mind