Gray joins york city

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DarloDave40
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gray joins york city

Post by DarloDave40 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:Don't think Gray really went over budget he just asked and was allowed to spend when he may have been told no.

He actually had an 80k budget cut which we have plugged the gap, however attendances dropping may well see a budget cut required anyhow.

May well be the best time to see where we are and re plan for the end of the season. I would suggest a DFCSG forum which will no doubt happen soon with an AGM coming up, we really need to find that 44k or what it will be to get the roof on the new seated stand.
How much compensation do you reckon we will be due for Gray's departure. Enough for a roof? He had about 4 years to run on his contract I think.
Only if he went to a league club.

m62exile

Gray joins york city

Post by m62exile » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:47 pm

I’m not too concerned about any digs in that statement, it’s patently obvious that York have a better infrastructure than we have and they have undoubtedly got a bigger budget to work with.

Anyone who went to Bootham Crescent this season would recognise that. It feels like a “proper” club, with staff, a stadium, a bit of a buzz about the place. Exactly what we are dreaming about and aiming for but are nowhere near at the moment.

I’d be disappointed if Gray didn’t make some kind of statement reflecting on his time at the club but I can’t in any way blame him for leaving.

He played his hand at the end of last season and from that day forwards it was almost impossible to continue.

Of greater concern is the absolute absence of any information coming from the board at the moment. I’ve been patiently waiting to hear about the strategy Mr Johnston described as his first priority when he joined but as yet not a thing.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:48 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:Don't think Gray really went over budget he just asked and was allowed to spend when he may have been told no.

He actually had an 80k budget cut which we have plugged the gap, however attendances dropping may well see a budget cut required anyhow.

May well be the best time to see where we are and re plan for the end of the season. I would suggest a DFCSG forum which will no doubt happen soon with an AGM coming up, we really need to find that 44k or what it will be to get the roof on the new seated stand.
How much compensation do you reckon we will be due for Gray's departure. Enough for a roof? He had about 4 years to run on his contract I think.
As mentioned by others I don't like the way our statement is that we accepted his resignation. That sounds like we let him leave and then he went to York afterwards, not that the two clubs got together with York making an offer.

I presume the payment to MGFA for Management services has reduced from the current cost.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:54 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:Direct (not quite long ball), 4-3-3 with target man, a bit dour, authoritarian, winner, won't take any crap, players have only got a short time to impress, likes 'men' in his team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can add "Not a good enough Manager at this level, to work out how to get a team out of a rut of only taking 8 out of a possible 30 points, only scoring 6 goals in 10 matches, and losing an FA Cup tie to a Team 2 Divisions lower? Mind York fans should know a bit about the last one. Regards comment above I would question where the "men" in his team have been this season?
We will survive without MG, but thanks for all he has achieved. :wave:

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:03 pm

DarloDave40 wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:

Only if he went to a league club.
There is no compensation due if a manager moves between two non-league clubs? Is that true? Surely breaking a 5 year contract comes with some clauses?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:16 pm

It's been previously mooted on here that Gray was un-sackable because we would never have been able to pay off his contract. I can't see a contract working only one way so surely he can't just up and go over night.

Furthermore, what's the point of having a 5 year contract if it's ineffective? Or a 2 year contract, or a 10 year contract, or any contract come to that?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:58 pm

Alfie wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:You'll get caught on the break, a lot. Gray liked full-backs to go forward and they do so without any discipline whatsoever, so you'll have both full backs deep in the opposition half at once. Unless you have some full backs with a brain of course. Never sorted out these kind of defensive problems in his time here. Gray like tough, strong players, which usually means they can't run faster than 5 miles an hour. We are a team with almost no pace, except Saunders, which is also a problem if you leave 2 on 2 at the back.
Be interesting to see if this changes - I was always puzzled how a half decent defender like Gregan - presumably employed at least in part to coach our defenders - allowed this to continue for so long. If he was overuled by Gray in terms of bombing forward and leaving gaps at the back he now has the chance to tighten things up a bit.
What odds on Gregan being a player/manager and leading from the back? ;) May need a touch of time-travel to make this happen, but at least both Sean & Brian Atkinson do have some great history with the club and hopefully we can all get behind them and the squad, despite these difficult circumstances we are now in.