Gray joins york city

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

offside
Team Supported: Darlington

Gray joins york city

Post by offside » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:37 pm

Gray joins york city

offside

Re: Gray joins york city

Post by offside » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:39 pm

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:20 pm

Here is the statement.

YORK City Football Club has confirmed the appointment of Martin Gray as first team manager and Dave Penney as sporting director.
Gray, 46, has resigned as manager of National League North rivals Darlington to take up the position at Bootham Crescent.
Chairman and owner Jason McGill says Gray is an 'ambitious and talented manager’ who ‘deserves an opportunity’ with a full-time club.
He revealed that York-born former England manager Steve McClaren had personally recommended the former Sunderland midfielder for the vacant role.
McGill also feels that the new managerial ‘structure’ can make City a stronger club going forward.
“We need a new approach at the football club,” said McGill. “We need to work hard, entertain our supporters, be professional and, most importantly, win games.
“In Martin Gray, we have identified a manager who has consistently achieved impressive results without the benefit of the resources and infrastructure that he will have at his disposal here.
“Before appointing Martin, we spoke to a number of leading figures in the game who have the best interests of York City at heart.
“One of those was Steve McClaren who felt York City should give serious consideration to appointing Martin Gray - if and when they were ever looking for a new manager.
“After speaking to Martin, I was immediately impressed with his views on football management. He is ambitious and talented and I feel he deserves an opportunity at a full-time club that has serious ambitions to return to the EFL.”
On Penney’s appointment as sporting director, McGill said: “Dave is someone with an abundance of experience at various levels of the game, who understands scouting and recruitment, and who has excellent contacts in the game.
“He will be responsible for the overall performance of the various sporting departments at the football club.
“For clarity, I can confirm that the sporting director will not pick the team,” McGill said. “He will ‘assist’ but not lead training or determine tactics. The manager will also have the final say on all signings.”
Penney’s role will also involve development of the club’s ‘footballing identity’, improving the club’s scouting network, and ensuring high standards are maintained throughout the club.
“His extensive knowledge of the football industry will be a major asset," said McGill. “I am also confident that this new structure will make the club stronger going forward.”
Gray has been in charge at Darlington for the last five years and is the only manager in the north-east club’s history to win three promotions.
After winning the Northern League in 2013, the Quakers finished second in Evo-Stik First Division North in 2014.
In 2015, they again finished second in the table but Gray steered his side to promotion via the play-offs.
Gray led Darlington to the Evo-Stik NPL Premier Division title in 2016 before finishing fifth in National League North last season.
The Quakers were blocked from taking part in last season’s play-offs, however, as their ground failed to meet National League criteria.
Former Derby County midfielder Penney, 53, steered Doncaster Rovers into the Football League in 2003 before lifting the Division Three title in 2004 and establishing the club in Coca-Cola League One.
He has also managed Darlington, Oldham Athletic, and Bristol Rovers and worked as assistant to Phil Brown at Southend United. He spent last season working as Guiseley’s assistant-manager in the National League.
Significantly, Gray has worked alongside Penney previously at both Darlington and Oldham.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

divas

Post by divas » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Couple of sly digs at us there, wonder where they stemmed from

Radar

Post by Radar » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:32 pm

divas wrote:Couple of sly digs at us there, wonder where they stemmed from
I don't think there's any sly digs. As a club we have ambition, but we couldn't keep up with Martin Grays ambition of continual success due to finances. Our club have made great strides since reforming, but we are now a victim of our own success.

Good Luck to Gray at York. It will be interesting to see if the power of finance allows him to deliver their ambition of promotion. Money doesn't always buy success ........

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:52 pm

Hope York fans have long necks - with Penney and Gray back together there will be plenty of hoofball going on there

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:02 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:Hope York fans have long necks - with Penney and Gray back together there will be plenty of hoofball going on there
And a guaranteed early exit from the F.A.Cup.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:06 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:Hope York fans have long necks - with Penney and Gray back together there will be plenty of hoofball going on there
Parkin and Rankine are already there so they're used to it.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:10 pm

So York sack their manager who got beat off South Shields in the FA Cup to appoint a manager who got beat off South Shields in FA Cup, couldn't make it up lol.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:56 pm

Reading the York statement hints at something of a longer lead in time than something that was decided over last night. The process of talking to several people about a possible replacement for their existing manager and then talking to MG has had to have taken some time. It is more than likely that the writing was already on the wall for Mills before yesterday's cup defeat and that feelers had already been out for a replacement. Don't know if the Darlo players would have been told about this but it may just be that they have been getting a feeling that MG hasn't been quite on it for a while.

Whilst not necessarily connected to the above the loss of key players to injury doesn't really explain some of the rather odd selections that have continued to disrupt the team over the last month or so. Why continue to prefer a winger who hasn't started the season well, to a recognised forward whose opening goal led to the only league victory in 10 games? Why bring in a new forward and not even give him a chance to play? Apart from that one victory against FC United the team has scored only 4 goals in the 11 most recent games and one of those was a penalty. Odd management decisions that may suggest a lack of care and focus.

There has been some speculation after the match on Saturday that MG may have lost the confidence of the players, but given his previous comments about needing to put more money into the playing side and not getting it, it appears that rather than the manager having lost the dressing room that the dressing room had lost the manager who was no longer interested in working within the budget he's been allowed.

Yorkist in Peace
Team Supported: York

Post by Yorkist in Peace » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:08 pm

York fan here, trying not to antagonise...

Today has been a bit of a surprise. Firstly, that we've appointed a new management team without any process and in massive haste; and secondly that we've managed to secure an appointment from a team that's not too dissimilar to ours in terms of resources. The full time thing might have made the difference, but we won't be full time for long if we don't get promoted rapidly.

Hopefully the compensation has already been sorted. Resignation or not, it's only proper and right that Darlington get what they deserve for losing a manager under contract.

What I'd like to know is, what are we getting with Gray? Penney we know about, he's been around for donkey's years and it looks like he's coming to support Gray, not vice versa. But what about Gray? Style of football? Preferred formation? Approach with players? Coaching style?

To be frank, not many of us know much about him.

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:12 pm

Direct (not quite long ball), 4-3-3 with target man, a bit dour, authoritarian, winner, won't take any crap, players have only got a short time to impress, likes 'men' in his team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Yorkist in Peace wrote:York fan here, trying not to antagonise...

Today has been a bit of a surprise. Firstly, that we've appointed a new management team without any process and in massive haste; and secondly that we've managed to secure an appointment from a team that's not too dissimilar to ours in terms of resources. The full time thing might have made the difference, but we won't be full time for long if we don't get promoted rapidly.

Hopefully the compensation has already been sorted. Resignation or not, it's only proper and right that Darlington get what they deserve for losing a manager under contract.

What I'd like to know is, what are we getting with Gray? Penney we know about, he's been around for donkey's years and it looks like he's coming to support Gray, not vice versa. But what about Gray? Style of football? Preferred formation? Approach with players? Coaching style?

York budget is probably about 3 times Darlo to be honest, we also need to spend money on our ground and have about 350 Season Ticket holders who paid upfront for 5 years to get us to Darlo. So basically our budget is probably about top 10 in the league but miles away from York, Salford & Harrogate.

Gray will like 4-4-2 generally but may try 4-3-3, big man up front, likes to get the ball from back to front really fast. Style of play is great when winning and dominating other teams, tends to be a bit poor to watch when not.

Personally think he has his limitations if he can't spend but with the budget at York it wouldn't surprise me to see him turn you around and make play-offs comfortably. From there he will either lead you up or set you ready for a big charge next season.

If I had to bet I would say he will probably do well for you.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:17 pm

442, pretty direct, winning the second ball and playing from the final third is pretty much his style of football. Only really play good football if already winning the match. Tough bloke, fiercely ambitious. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on at York as he will be just the manager there - here he's been intertwined with most aspects of the club since he came in. I'd imagine he'll do well with York in this league at least, particularly if he starts off well.

Yorks resources far outweigh ours at the moment, and I think Gray realised his star was falling this season a but, so decided to take his chance at FT football. Not surprised he's gone to York in the circumstances, and it might even be best for us as we couldn't afford the budget he was demanding, but I'll be disappointed if it's been done in a underhand way.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:20 pm

There is no situation that your new management team won't attempt to address by throwing strikers at it.

Yorkist in Peace

Post by Yorkist in Peace » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:21 pm

I'd be surprised if it's been done in an underhand way. Our Chairman is normally quite scrupulous with stuff like this, I doubt he's done anything that would leave him open to legal conflict. Also... I note no angry statement from Darlington. This was probably done and dusted some days ago.

Interested regarding the formation. We've not played 4-4-2 for some time, and in reality we probably don't have the squad for it. Therefore, you might expect one or two of your squad to be tempted over. We are particularly weak in midfield, central defence and left wing. Oh.. and our keeper is all over the place currently.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:25 pm

4-4-2 with a big target man. Playing fairly direct from back to front to exploit space on the wings. Then swinging the ball in for the big man and then the second striker to play off the second balls. Also expect to be well drilled at corners, free kicks and throw ins. Any chance to get the ball into the box. It's certainly not about stylish football but it's about outworking your opponent and to be fair to him most of the time overy the last few years he has managed it.

I wish him the best of luck. We had a great run for 5 years. But tbh with what happened for summer and him demanding further investment perhaps this was the best time for MG and Darlo to part ways. Good luck for the rest of the season. The fixture in January should be spicy hopefully a sell out crowd to.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:28 pm

Yorkist in Peace wrote:I'd be surprised if it's been done in an underhand way. Our Chairman is normally quite scrupulous with stuff like this, I doubt he's done anything that would leave him open to legal conflict. Also... I note no angry statement from Darlington. This was probably done and dusted some days ago.

Interested regarding the formation. We've not played 4-4-2 for some time, and in reality we probably don't have the squad for it. Therefore, you might expect one or two of your squad to be tempted over. We are particularly weak in midfield, central defence and left wing. Oh.. and our keeper is all over the place currently.
We have a left winger/midfielder you will most likely try and sign, Ferguson he is good enough to play higher. Devastating for us to lose him but it's a matter of time to be honest.

Yorkist in Peace

Post by Yorkist in Peace » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:28 pm

tdk1 wrote:There is no situation that your new management team won't attempt to address by throwing strikers at it.
With Parkin, Almond and Morgan-Smith we have some real quality up front. Comparable with anything in this league and (arguably) the league above. The problem is that, up until now, they've fed mainly of scraps. Our midfield, complete lack of width and Mills' tactics (hoofing the ball aimlessly at Parkin) is what has caused Gray to get the opportunity.

I'd expect your strikers are relatively safe from our grasping hands. For now.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:30 pm

They really aren't.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:31 pm

Yorkist in Peace wrote:I'd be surprised if it's been done in an underhand way. Our Chairman is normally quite scrupulous with stuff like this, I doubt he's done anything that would leave him open to legal conflict. Also... I note no angry statement from Darlington. This was probably done and dusted some days ago.

The timings make me suspicious, but hopefully it's confirmed that we've got appropriate compensation. Don't think many would begrudge Gray a chance at FT football as long as we don't miss out too, as he was under contract here.

Ferguson (LW) and Bartlett (GK) would probably improve you greatly then. Not sure whether Bartlett would want to go back into FT football, but Ferguson would. No offence though, I hope we bleed you for every penny we can if Gray does come back and try and sign some of our players.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:10 pm

Doesn't take criticism well - becomes very monosyllabic and goes into a huff.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:16 pm

It is telling that there is very little unhappiness because of him resigning.

The majority of the fan base seem "not arsed" when they should be beside themselves with grief because a triple promotion winning manager has gone.

I think the fans forum did more damage than we realised - he called us fans and this club an embarrassment. Massive lack of respect there. People did not forget.

If York are to be a success they are going to need a strong board room I think.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:21 pm

You'll get caught on the break, a lot. Gray liked full-backs to go forward and they do so without any discipline whatsoever, so you'll have both full backs deep in the opposition half at once. Unless you have some full backs with a brain of course. Never sorted out these kind of defensive problems in his time here. Gray like tough, strong players, which usually means they can't run faster than 5 miles an hour. We are a team with almost no pace, except Saunders, which is also a problem if you leave 2 on 2 at the back.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:25 pm

[quote="Quakerz"]It is telling that there is very little unhappiness because of him resigning.

The majority of the fan base seem "not arsed" when they should be beside themselves with grief because a triple promotion winning manager has gone.

I think the fans forum did more damage than we realised - he called us fans and this club an embarrassment. Massive lack of respect there. People did not forget.

And fundraising basically ground to a halt.
The king is dead, long live the king.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:29 pm

I must admit I don't like the York chairman's quote that MG has achieved results 'Without the benefits or infrastructure that we have here". I do hope that MG hasn't told him that, but where has he got it from? Twice fans have put money into the club to keep them going as MG has overspent the budget, then he gets his budget cut by 40k this year after more overspending, so we implement Boost the Budget. I must admit I feel taken for a mug now that I've contributed to this pitch. MG has been awash with money to get us where we are today. I think that's what Divas means by the 'dig' which he referred to earlier.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:32 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:I must admit I don't like the York chairman's quote that MG has achieved results 'Without the benefits or infrastructure that we have here". I do hope that MG hasn't told him that, but where has he got it from? Twice fans have put money into the club to keep them going as MG has overspent the budget, then he gets his budget cut by 40k this year after more overspending, so we implement Boost the Budget. I must admit I feel taken for a mug now that I've contributed to this pitch. MG has been awash with money to get us where we are today. I think that's what Divas means by the 'dig' which he referred to earlier.
York do have a bigger budget and much better infrastructure than we have. The fans won't have to put their own cash in the fund his budget at York. Eveything you said argues against your suggestion that this is a "dig"? It's true!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:33 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:I must admit I don't like the York chairman's quote that MG has achieved results 'Without the benefits or infrastructure that we have here". I do hope that MG hasn't told him that, but where has he got it from? Twice fans have put money into the club to keep them going as MG has overspent the budget, then he gets his budget cut by 40k this year after more overspending, so we implement Boost the Budget. I must admit I feel taken for a mug now that I've contributed to this pitch. MG has been awash with money to get us where we are today. I think that's what Divas means by the 'dig' which he referred to earlier.
Don't think Gray really went over budget he just asked and was allowed to spend when he may have been told no.

He actually had an 80k budget cut which we have plugged the gap, however attendances dropping may well see a budget cut required anyhow.

May well be the best time to see where we are and re plan for the end of the season. I would suggest a DFCSG forum which will no doubt happen soon with an AGM coming up, we really need to find that 44k or what it will be to get the roof on the new seated stand.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:35 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Don't think Gray really went over budget he just asked and was allowed to spend when he may have been told no.

He actually had an 80k budget cut which we have plugged the gap, however attendances dropping may well see a budget cut required anyhow.

May well be the best time to see where we are and re plan for the end of the season. I would suggest a DFCSG forum which will no doubt happen soon with an AGM coming up, we really need to find that 44k or what it will be to get the roof on the new seated stand.
How much compensation do you reckon we will be due for Gray's departure. Enough for a roof? He had about 4 years to run on his contract I think.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:36 pm

Yarblockos wrote:You'll get caught on the break, a lot. Gray liked full-backs to go forward and they do so without any discipline whatsoever, so you'll have both full backs deep in the opposition half at once. Unless you have some full backs with a brain of course. Never sorted out these kind of defensive problems in his time here. Gray like tough, strong players, which usually means they can't run faster than 5 miles an hour. We are a team with almost no pace, except Saunders, which is also a problem if you leave 2 on 2 at the back.
Be interesting to see if this changes - I was always puzzled how a half decent defender like Gregan - presumably employed at least in part to coach our defenders - allowed this to continue for so long. If he was overuled by Gray in terms of bombing forward and leaving gaps at the back he now has the chance to tighten things up a bit.