Compensation from Gray breaking contract?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Rufusuk
Team Supported: Darlington

Compensation from Gray breaking contract?

Post by Rufusuk » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:54 pm

Gray had 4 years left on his contract.

Then he resigns. "can't take the club any further"!

Then 5 minutes later turns up as Manager of York City!

We should get enough compensation for a new stand and set of seats!

al_quaker

Re: Compensation from Gray breaking contract?

Post by al_quaker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:56 pm

Indeed. It looks pretty obvious what has (possibly) gone on, and if we don't get any compensation it would be a huge stain on Gray's legacy. It would also raise questions about our CEO.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:01 pm

100 percent. If no money has passed hands yet, it would make a fairly simple appeal I would think. Given York have released a statement talking about recommendations, that has all happened and he's been approached while he was still our manager.

I've no issue with him going, but compensation is fairly due for it. It could well pay for the roof of the new stand.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:02 pm

Johnston said at the recent forum: "I'm here for a minimum of 2 years". Time to earn your corn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:05 pm

Does he have a notice period?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:22 pm

MG had a 6 month notice period as far as I’m aware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:03 pm

No compensation would be a far more worrying scenario than the ground grading issue of last season.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:45 pm

At one the forums wasn't it said that most of people speaking that night had put money into the club, which will have included Gray. If that's true and I haven't dreamt it, which is entirely possible, I wonder if Gray will say that was a loan and so any potential compensation is diminished straight away.

No idea if any of that could or would happen just putting a 'what if' question out there.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:14 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:At one the forums wasn't it said that most of people speaking that night had put money into the club, which will have included Gray. If that's true and I haven't dreamt it, which is entirely possible, I wonder if Gray will say that was a loan and so any potential compensation is diminished straight away.

No idea if any of that could or would happen just putting a 'what if' question out there.
From my view you cant relate 2 separate contracts unless of course its written into one of them

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:41 pm

It could be that the contract was with MGFA to manage the club, not with MG.
if so it may be that as long as MGFA (Gregan and Atkinson) still carry out that role, the contract hasn't been broken and no compensation is due.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:48 pm

Allan Quatermain wrote:It could be that the contract was with MGFA to manage the club, not with MG.
if so it may be that as long as MGFA (Gregan and Atkinson) still carry out that role, the contract hasn't been broken and no compensation is due.
If that were the case I think it would be the final straw of incompetence.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:48 pm

Allan Quatermain wrote:It could be that the contract was with MGFA to manage the club, not with MG.
I can't believe this would be the case, allowing us to be so entwined with MGFA seems to have made the breakup and moving on so difficult.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Well one poster on here must know how his contract was set up, surely?

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:10 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
I can't believe this would be the case, allowing us to be so entwined with MGFA seems to have made the breakup and moving on so difficult.
Like you, I can't believe it either, but the relationship between DFC and MGFA needs immediate clarification so everyone concerned can move on appropriately.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:40 pm

Surely there would be a conflict of interests and I don't think the FA would allow that.
I could be wrong though.

eek

Post by eek » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:45 am

Now its rare that I post here but lets get things straight once again.

Ideally there will be compensation from Gray breaking his contract (with luck it will pay for the roof) however we cannot blame volunteers if this doesn't turn out to be the case.

As unless money is happily given we don't have the money to risk taking it to court....

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:28 am

What if, maybe several weeks ago after a game v's maybe York for example, MG was approached and offered in principle a managerial position if things didn't work out for their incumbent manager after a set period of time/criteria? What if, in confidence, MG spoke to our Board and informed them of the situation. What if it was mutually agreed that he could then leave if formally approached. What if that happened and the Board accepted his resignation with no strings attached, as notice was indeed given.

The appointment of Atkinson and Gregan makes perfect sense as they know their players and the Club's set up. Financially it's a far cheaper option than hiring a new manager at this time. If, however if things don't work out on the field this could be re addressed around Christmas/New Year.

Maybe, just putting a 'what if' out there.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

tezza

Post by tezza » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:04 am

eek wrote:Now its rare that I post here but lets get things straight once again.

Ideally there will be compensation from Gray breaking his contract (with luck it will pay for the roof) however we cannot blame volunteers if this doesn't turn out to be the case.

As unless money is happily given we don't have the money to risk taking it to court....
Very, very sensible.

Lets not get into the blame game ..again. We are in a precarious position from a stewardship point of view.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:47 am

MikeinBlack2 wrote:What if, maybe several weeks ago after a game v's maybe York for example, MG was approached and offered in principle a managerial position if things didn't work out for their incumbent manager after a set period of time/criteria? What if, in confidence, MG spoke to our Board and informed them of the situation. What if it was mutually agreed that he could then leave if formally approached. What if that happened and the Board accepted his resignation with no strings attached, as notice was indeed given.

The appointment of Atkinson and Gregan makes perfect sense as they know their players and the Club's set up. Financially it's a far cheaper option than hiring a new manager at this time. If, however if things don't work out on the field this could be re addressed around Christmas/New Year.

Maybe, just putting a 'what if' out there.
I'd say this seems very plausible to me. I don't expect we'll get a penny of compensation.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:02 am

I don't understand why our board would allow him to break contract without compensation. Especially if the chance are he goes to a rival club.

I think this has been on the cards for a while. If I am honest I expected York to try and get him at the start of the season when they were looking for a new manager. I would be shocked if he wasn't approached at that point but with him already having the RS/Steve McLaren 'option' he wanted to progress that - remember if that had gone through I was investment in him to do what he wanted.

As it transpired it was kicked back we are where we are now.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:16 am

I do think it's fair and reasonable that if someone is given the security of a five year contract then some form of compensation should be paid if that is broken by either side. There can't be many other managers in the game who had that kind of job security cushion. I'm absolutely certain Gray would have sought recompense if he'd been sacked for poor results one year into the contract. Surely York would also have been expecting to have to pay something when they made the initial approach, which very clearly wasn't just over the weekend. Surely a settlement is just standard practice in cases like this. It's normally just a question of coming to a negotiated figure acceptable to both sides.

If not, there is little point in giving someone an extended contract to offer security to employee and employer. I don't get why we would be any different to any other club in a situation like this.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:45 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I do think it's fair and reasonable that if someone is given the security of a five year contract then some form of compensation should be paid if that is broken by either side. There can't be many other managers in the game who had that kind of job security cushion. I'm absolutely certain Gray would have sought recompense if he'd been sacked for poor results one year into the contract. Surely York would also have been expecting to have to pay something when they made the initial approach, which very clearly wasn't just over the weekend. Surely a settlement is just standard practice in cases like this. It's normally just a question of coming to a negotiated figure acceptable to both sides.

If not, there is little point in giving someone an extended contract to offer security to employee and employer. I don't get why we would be any different to any other club in a situation like this.
Well, maybe our chief executive is putting Gray's career ahead of the financial interests of our club? I don't know why he would do that though.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:56 pm

According to Craig Stoddart on twitter both clubs are 'dealing with this matter' (the matter being, presumably, compensation). Which sounds promising

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:06 pm

al_quaker wrote:According to Craig Stoddart on twitter both clubs are 'dealing with this matter' (the matter being, presumably, compensation). Which sounds promising
Surely he can't be revealed as York manager if we have not agreed his release fee from his contract.

Sounds to me we let him resign, he then signs for York, it kicks off about a fee and the two clubs decide to talk.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:28 pm

al_quaker wrote:According to Craig Stoddart on twitter both clubs are 'dealing with this matter' (the matter being, presumably, compensation). Which sounds promising
Surely he can't be revealed as York manager if we have not agreed his release fee from his contract.

Sounds to me we let him resign, he then signs for York, it kicks off about a fee and the two clubs decide to talk.
I don't actually think this is that abnormal. I suspect the strict mechanism to sort these things out would be via the courts whilst the dust settles the clubs will instead come to an 'out of court' settlement and save us all the expense.

I am sort of hoping this can give us a decent boost to get the stand built though...

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:54 pm

lo36789 wrote:

I don't actually think this is that abnormal. I suspect the strict mechanism to sort these things out would be via the courts whilst the dust settles the clubs will instead come to an 'out of court' settlement and save us all the expense.

I am sort of hoping this can give us a decent boost to get the stand built though...
That's what I'm hoping. Firstly I think we deserve some compensation, but secondly imagine getting a decent 5 figure fee compensation. Could really take the pressure off of the fans for fundraising, at least for the rest of this season.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:09 pm

It's beginning to irritate me how fans keep on assigning this potential money to the stand, assigning that potential money to the stand - when they don't know anything about the club financials. Now I don't know anything either, but I can apply common sense...

So we're going to get thousands in compo for Gray are we? Don't think we'll get that much. Ferguson is worth 50k is he? Maybe in our dreams but we are a national north club - not going to happen.

Whatever we do get for Gray if anything, whatever we get for any players that he plunders - it isn't going to be a life changing amount. It'll be a few thousand at best.

And after the last two crowds of 1,200 and being knocked out of the cup AGAIN with no prize money (thanks Mart), where do you think any extra money is going?

NOT INTO THE STAND, that is for sure.

You can be certain that we are already running above budget because of lower than expected crowds and because of Gray making needless extra signings.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:12 pm

Quakerz wrote:It's beginning to irritate me how fans keep on assigning this money to the stand, assigning that money to the stand - when they don't know anything about the club financials. Now I don't know anything either, but I can apply common sense...

So we're going to get thousands in compo for Gray are we? Don't think we'll get that much. Ferguson is worth 50k is he? Maybe in our dreams but we are a national north club - not going to happen.

Whatever we do get for Gray if anything, whatever we get for any players that he plunders - it isn't going to be a life changing amount. It'll be a few thousand at best.

And after the last two crowds of 1,200 and being knocked out of the cup AGAIN with no prize money (thanks Mart), where do you think any money is going?

NOT INTO THE STAND.

You can be certain that we are already running above budget because of lower than expected crowds.
My rough figures in terms of attendances etc. have us anywhere from 10k to 25k down on budget currently. Some bigger games to come may reduce this but current trends suggest this gap will increase.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:15 pm

Quakerz wrote:It's beginning to irritate me how fans keep on assigning this money to the stand, assigning that money to the stand - when they don't know anything about the club financials. Now I don't know anything either, but I can apply common sense...

And after the last two crowds of 1,200 and being knocked out of the cup AGAIN with no prize money (thanks Mart), where do you think any money is going?

NOT INTO THE STAND.

You can be certain that we are already running above budget because of lower than expected crowds.
My rough figures in terms of attendances etc. have us anywhere from 10k to 25k down on budget currently. Some bigger games to come may reduce this but current trends suggest this gap will increase.
So you agree then that any money coming in compensation or transfer fees is overwhelmingly likely to be put into the running of the club? Some other fans need to stop dreaming.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:25 pm

I have concerns over those remaining at the club. His director buddy, plus Atkinson and Gregan are all employed/in partnership with Martin through the academy. Surely this is a conflict of interests, espcially if there are further deals to be discussed. All ties need to be cut (in a short and probably painful time). And a fresh slate needs to begin, with the long term vision clear.

I understand that there are people who have left positions, having been hounded out by other parties. Perhaps it's worthwhile re-engaging with those that want to be involved to move things forward for the good of the club long term.

It has also been suggested that some form of vote should be tabled by the DFCSG (as majority shareholders) to agree a consensus of how the club should move forward. Be it to find an investor, or live within the means and really give the current model a fighting chance.

I'm a massive advocate of giving the fan ownership model a fair chance, with a framework to work to. The departure of Gray gives us an opportunity to build the club on and off the pitch in harmony, and I think we are in a strong place to entice a reputable manager with knowledge of this level to come and help us move forwards in all areas...perhaps any compensation might be better being passed onto another club to acquire a new long term manager.

First and foremost though, the team need to return to winning ways, but how easy will that be if some of the players that Gray is after happen to be in our team.