Compensation from Gray breaking contract?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Compensation from Gray breaking contract?

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:26 pm

I can't see how at the moment we are expecting to hit our targeted revenues unless something changes.

We will have probably expected average attendances around 2k mark and it was mentioned that hospitality has not hit expectations currently. With attendances dropping this surely puts in question revenue v's expectation.

Results in one thing either a shortfall again or we reduce budget, any incomings may well stop the budget reduction and then possibly put towards the roof.

However I would expect us to still have to cover the roof.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:33 pm

Quakerz speaking sense as always

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:38 pm

Rattle those buckets... laughing stock or not :D

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:40 pm

Ah well.

Hopefully now we can a) budget on the conservative side rather than stretching ourselves, and b) find a manager who can win a bloody cup game to boost our income (I see South Shields got Hartlepool at home in 4QR..!)

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:27 pm

I think we might have blown our chance at compensation when we accepted Gray's resignation on Sunday morning. What you are supposed to do is refuse to accept it, as it is a breach of contract, and wait for the club to offer you more compensation.

https://www.lawinsport.com/articles/ite ... der-part-2

Of course, maybe the board did not know Gray had an offer from York. Or, they did and for whatever reason decide not to use Gray's contract as leverage for decent compensation.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:42 pm

The board must have known, like us, that Mills had been sacked and that Gray was hot favourite for the job. It was all over social media.

Gray admitted tonight that York approached him Saturday night so it’s beyond doubt that he left for the job.

I hope someone has recorded that interview!

Radar

Post by Radar » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:09 pm

We have been absolutely stitched up!! Tempest and Johnson accepting his resignation? Bye bye Compensation. Absolute fools........ or was it strategically planned between two friends?
I'm hearing a strong rumour out better players have clauses in their contracts that allows them to leave on free transfers if a full time club comes calling........ Hello York City!!!

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:17 pm

Quakerz wrote:It's beginning to irritate me how fans keep on assigning this potential money to the stand, assigning that potential money to the stand - when they don't know anything about the club financials. Now I don't know anything either, but I can apply common sense...

So we're going to get thousands in compo for Gray are we? Don't think we'll get that much. Ferguson is worth 50k is he? Maybe in our dreams but we are a national north club - not going to happen.

Whatever we do get for Gray if anything, whatever we get for any players that he plunders - it isn't going to be a life changing amount. It'll be a few thousand at best.

And after the last two crowds of 1,200 and being knocked out of the cup AGAIN with no prize money (thanks Mart), where do you think any extra money is going?

NOT INTO THE STAND, that is for sure.

You can be certain that we are already running above budget because of lower than expected crowds and because of Gray making needless extra signings.
Sadly, you are totally correct.

DarloDave40

Post by DarloDave40 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:38 pm

Radar wrote:We have been absolutely stitched up!! Tempest and Johnson accepting his resignation? Bye bye Compensation. Absolute fools........ or was it strategically planned between two friends?
I'm hearing a strong rumour out better players have clauses in their contracts that allows them to leave on free transfers if a full time club comes calling........ Hello York City!!!
What a ridiculous post Tempest for sure has the club at heart, I don’t know Johnston as he’s fairly new. If they didn’t except his resignation can you imagine what the feeling in the club would be I trust our Directors to get the best deal possible, why wouldn’t they. Comments like above will only move them both on thinking why bother.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:52 pm

I think we just let stuff come out in the wash before jumping to any conclusions. If Stoddart says the clubs are talking then maybe they are retrospectively agreeing the compensation.

I don't know how it works but surely our starting point is paying up his contract? If it was £10k per year (£200 p/w) then if he had 3.5 years to run it could cover us if we had any sort of budget shortfalls this season. I suspect that York's starting point will be a lot lower. If we got anything over £5k I'd be pretty ecstatic.

It's business ultimately. Lets just see how it plays out. Darlington Football Club is bigger than one man always has been always will be.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:39 pm

By your figures that would be 35K - but you'd be happy with 5K?

It should be more.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:47 pm

I'd get Barnier in there for the initial demand.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:49 pm

It would cost thousands to try and take it down official channels.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:51 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I'd get Barnier in there for the initial demand.
How about 'The Angry Fans' from the last fans forum? Send them down.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

The Golden Hairclip

Post by The Golden Hairclip » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:34 pm

Well the compensation is a pre-season friendly at York next summer with Darlo receiving all the gate receipts. That's it. I kid you not. Unbelievable!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:35 pm

lo36789 wrote:It would cost thousands to try and take it down official channels.
What about an ilegal approach to the manager,would the FA not get involved?

Or does the fact his resignation was accepted negate that?

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:46 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:It would cost thousands to try and take it down official channels.
What about an ilegal approach to the manager,would the FA not get involved?

Or does the fact his resignation was accepted negate that?
Perhaps the initial contact was made to the football club, perhaps a few weeks ago, and if so the approach would not be illegal if they had subsequently been given permission to contact him directly.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:48 pm

The Golden Hairclip wrote:Well the compensation is a pre-season friendly at York next summer with Darlo receiving all the gate receipts. That's it. I kid you not. Unbelievable!!

Please say you're joking?

That's fucking ridiculous.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:00 pm

If that is the case, then it's clear that Gray didn't just hold all the aces but the entire pack. It's so wrong, unfair and unjust and makes a mockery of the whole contract procedure. York would be laughing their caps off to get away with this at no cost and it makes you fear for the "deal" we'll get when Gray picks off our assets.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:08 pm

AndyPark wrote:
The Golden Hairclip wrote:Well the compensation is a pre-season friendly at York next summer with Darlo receiving all the gate receipts. That's it. I kid you not. Unbelievable!!

Please say you're joking?

That's fucking ridiculous.
I am losing the will to live.....if that is it.Gray has played a very clever game here, again making us look mugs, when will it ever end.He may as well roll up for Ferguson in his car and drive back to York.Come on Salford and Harrogate, get this man the sack for gods sake.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:11 pm

Confirmed in tomorrow’s Northern Echo.
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/l ... ref=twtrec
As compensation for Gray moving to the Minstermen, Darlington will play a pre-season friendly at York next summer with Quakers receiving all of the gate receipts.

Darlington had little bargaining power as the terms of Gray's contract entitled them to a cash payment only if he left to join a a club in the EFL.
Last edited by Darlo_CR on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:11 pm

Completely and utterly insulting. A fucking friendly likely to be attended by one man and his fucking dog.

Fucking fuck off. York should be ashamed of themselves.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:14 pm

Absolutely shambolic. Furious does not even come close.
Last edited by Darlofan97 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:18 pm

Looks like the fuck up was made when setting up the existing contract...

"Darlington had little bargaining power as the terms of Gray's contract entitled them to a cash payment only if he left to join a a club in the EFL."

Its the kind of oversight that might also lead you to not to realise we needed 500 seats to make the playoffs. Perils of a part-time club
Last edited by Yarblockos on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:19 pm

Actually at this point I don't really care about compensation. I think I'd send the reserves to York for the friendly

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:21 pm

I'm livid if this is true. I also don't see how York could possibly be aware of this unless they knew the details of Grays contract (and how would they have those, i wonder?). They would ordinarily have to make an approach, Darlington would have to allow him to speak to them, and the clubs would agree a fee for release from his contract.

York clearly tapped Gray up (no one is believing he didn't speak to them before hand, and he even fucked up and admitted it in the interview when he said Saturday, before realising that was before he resigned). Fucking tossers. Now watch him asset strip our entire team, who probably have a bunch of convenient clauses in their contracts.

Why can't this club catch a fucking break?
Last edited by H1987 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:21 pm

Yarblockos wrote:Looks like the fuck up was made when setting up the existing contract...

"Darlington had little bargaining power as the terms of Gray's contract entitled them to a cash payment only if he left to join a a club in the EFL."

Its the kind of oversight that might lead to not to realise we needed 500 seats to make the playoffs.
So we gave him an escape clause that we would only need his contract paying off if it was to a league side? Wonderful

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

JamesDarlo

Post by JamesDarlo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:22 pm

I'm 20 years old. What was it like supporting darlo before these last two decades? Was it this miserable?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:26 pm

I sincerely hope the club grows a pair, does not agree to that friendly and reports York to the FA instead. Fucking arseholes knew what they were doing, and it'll be worth buttons anyway.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:27 pm

Makes perfect sense that gray would want such a clause given yorks previous pursuit of him. Would smooth the path for him when needed. Not bad to get five year deal and get to dictate everything you want for a future exit.