Hopes for the rest of the year

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Hopes for the rest of the year

Post by H1987 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:45 pm

What can we hope for, realistically now?

We should have personnel to push up the table, but we certainly didn't look like doing it under Gray... Would you take mid-table and getting the stand built?

If it goes wrong under Gregan and Atkinson and form suffers further, at what point do you intervene and appoint a manager? Who the heck could we get?

Feels a very strange place to be in. A lot of uncertainty. What happens with the youth team... will we lose players.... will we get compensation for Gray....

Darlo_H

Re: Hopes for the rest of the year

Post by Darlo_H » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:49 pm

Mid table and the stand built is pretty much all we can do, no point busting the budget we could be spending on the stand when we can't go up without it anyway.

Just keep away from any relegation battle. I would only intervene is Atkinson and Gregan's managment if getting involved in that looked like a distinct possibility, otherwise just keep ourselves here until the stand is done and then we can look at where we go from there.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:09 pm

Well for me this is Atkinson and Gregans job interview for the rest of the season. Give a good account of themselvesand we can be confident going into next season with them in charge. If not we have the chance to get a new manager in early in the summer.

We have more than enough in the squad to be top half, that shouldn't change and I'd expect us to move up especially as injuries clear. Within that we should be re-evaluatin the squad to make sure all players ate good enough for a promotion push next season.

We need to finish the seating expansion by the end of the season. So starting next season we know we can really push to be promoted.

Finally can we atleast get rid of the Cup hoodoo by winning a few games in the FA Trophy bring in a bit of extra cash as well.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:10 pm

We could do with a few more fit defenders to start with and get back to something like the back line we had earlier in the season.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:13 pm

H1987 wrote:What can we hope for, realistically now?

We should have personnel to push up the table, but we certainly didn't look like doing it under Gray... Would you take mid-table and getting the stand built?

If it goes wrong under Gregan and Atkinson and form suffers further, at what point do you intervene and appoint a manager? Who the heck could we get?

Feels a very strange place to be in. A lot of uncertainty. What happens with the youth team... will we lose players.... will we get compensation for Gray....
Five years of unparalleled success on the field. It's a long time in football for us to feel all warm and fuzzy. Happy to have a club next season to support, bonus if it's in this league or higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:16 pm

Atkinson and Greegan only staying to oversee transfers of our better players to York ie Bartlett,Ferguson ,wheatley, then we will follow.
I would like to see Aspin or Redfearn who,s dad once played for us .

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:16 pm

The key now is to stabilise ourselves off the pitch and grow.

Once again, much easier said than done, but if we'd tried to match MG's ambitions, it would have killed the club - we don't yet have the infrastructure in place.

If by the end of the season we've finished upper mid-table, managed to be well on the way to getting that stand completed and kept/built on the numbers in the boardroom, that will be a good season.

Rarely is it that simple with us, and as much as there are questions about David Johnston, he is now the most important person at the club. We need him to stay and help deliver some success commercially.

I just get the feeling Gray going enables us to slow things down and implement a longer term strategy. We no longer have to appease his ambitions and ego.

Best of luck to Brian Atkinson and Sean Gregan. I really hope it works out for them.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:18 pm

roadrunner wrote:Atkinson and Greegan only staying to oversee transfers of our better players to York ie Bartlett,Ferguson ,wheatley, then we will follow.
Well that should see some decent money come in, so the roof should be sorted out without us having to dig into our pockets again. Unless you're chatting absolute nonsense...

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:27 pm

Darlogramps wrote:The key now is to stabilise ourselves off the pitch and grow.

Once again, much easier said than done, but if we'd tried to match MG's ambitions, it would have killed the club - we don't yet have the infrastructure in place.

If by the end of the season we've finished upper mid-table, managed to be well on the way to getting that stand completed and kept/built on the numbers in the boardroom, that will be a good season.

Rarely is it that simple with us, and as much as there are questions about David Johnston, he is now the most important person at the club. We need him to stay and help deliver some success commercially.

I just get the feeling Gray going enables us to slow things down and implement a longer term strategy. We no longer have to appease his ambitions and ego.

Best of luck to Brian Atkinson and Sean Gregan. I really hope it works out for them.
Find myself agreeing again with Darlogramps. Club must be financially stable and able to react to any financial issues otherwise everything else is just hot air

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:28 pm

roadrunner wrote:Atkinson and Greegan only staying to oversee transfers of our better players to York ie Bartlett,Ferguson ,wheatley, then we will follow.
Was his dad cheyanne then ?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:50 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Well that should see some decent money come in, so the roof should be sorted out without us having to dig into our pockets again. Unless you're chatting absolute nonsense...
Well allhis predictions from recent weeks have been water tight and all come to pass, so this one is almost definitely true as well.

anyway, Ferguson is worth 100 grand.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:59 pm

I have every faith in Gregan and Atkinson picking up the team and getting us moving in the right direction. A place in the top 10 will be a solid season from the position we are now in. One question are Gregan and Atkinson joint managers or is one acting as assistant to the other? No doubt we'll have a decent run in the FA Trophy now that Gray has left!!

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:08 pm

tdk1 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
Well allhis predictions from recent weeks have been water tight and all come to pass, so this one is almost definitely true as well.

McLaren sniffing around over the last few weeks cos they want to invest in Martin Gray not Darlington F.C. so the goalposts now move to York .

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:17 pm

Is your source the same as Bob mortimer's?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:25 pm

I feel no particular excitement in Gregan and Atkinson taking charge, I think its just the cheapest option. We can't sack them and we can't afford a new manager. Its usually the case that a manager takes his back room staff with him to a new club, so we'll have to wait and see what transpires in that regard.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:52 pm

Steve Burr would jump at the chance.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:02 pm

Yarblockos wrote:I feel no particular excitement in Gregan and Atkinson taking charge, I think its just the cheapest option. We can't sack them and we can't afford a new manager. Its usually the case that a manager takes his back room staff with him to a new club, so we'll have to wait and see what transpires in that regard.
Also amazing to read in the Club statement that "They have impressed the Board with their vision on how they would bring fresh ideas and impetus to the Club." Sorry but what were we paying them for up until yesterday, or was MG that much of an authoritarion?

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:34 pm

Have to agree with this. Already people's expectations have lowered to stability.

Let's see what BA & SG can do, support them and not break the bank

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:45 pm

In reality it gives us another year to get the ground somewhere near as I can`t see us going up but would hope the stand is finished in case we play York in the playoff final LOL

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:12 pm

tdk1 wrote:
al_quaker wrote:

Unless he has a release clause in his contract set at a certain amount.

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:30 pm

We should be in the play offs with our crowd and budget anything less is failure.
Salford
York
Harrogate
Stockport
Kidderminster
Been above us on attendances and budget
With possibly Brackley with there benefactor and Chorley with there input of loan players pushing us.
We need some ambition or do we just let crowds dwindle .

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:49 pm

Ambition means different things to different people. For me, I just want a Darlo team to support for the foreseeable future. Ideally a successful team but a team will do. Let's not forget the years of absolute dross that we suffered through before 2012 but we still watched because it was our team which it is even more now than before.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:50 pm

roadrunner wrote:Steve Burr would jump at the chance.
I suspect all managers in the division below us would jump at the chance. Especially those who are getting slated in their current role for spending most of their budget on inexperienced academy drop outs who aren't cutting it at the level...

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:56 pm

QuakerPete wrote:

Find myself agreeing again with Darlogramps. Club must be financially stable and able to react to any financial issues otherwise everything else is just hot air

Similar thoughts.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:53 am

roadrunner wrote:We should be in the play offs with our crowd and budget anything less is failure.
Salford
York
Harrogate
Stockport
Kidderminster
With possibly Brackley with there benefactor and Chorley with there input of loan players pushing us.
Frankly, I'd be more than happy for the crowd to dwindle by one, if that one was you. Never has so much bull been talked by one person. Where's Wile E Coyote when you need him.

tezza

Post by tezza » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:59 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
roadrunner wrote:We should be in the play offs with our crowd and budget anything less is failure.
Salford
York
Harrogate
Stockport
Kidderminster
Frankly, I'd be more than happy for the crowd to dwindle by one, if that one was you. Never has so much bull been talked by one person. Where's Wile E Coyote when you need him.
SECONDED

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:29 am

tezza wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Salford
York
Harrogate
Stockport
Kidderminster
SECONDED
will be still standing when you sad people have given up missed 3 matches home and away last 20 year .

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:36 am

Your loyalty is admirable, your posts less so.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:29 pm

roadrunner wrote:
tezza wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Salford
York
Harrogate
Stockport
Kidderminster
SECONDED
will be still standing when you sad people have given up missed 3 matches home and away last 20 year .
It is pointless being an illiterate troll.