Advertise Here
You are here: darlofc.co.uk » Board index » The Uncovered Forums » Virtual Feethams
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:08 am View unanswered posts | View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Posts: 2211
Team Supported: Darlington
After clocking up an impressive 52 years it's quite clear you are one of the older supporters among us and with respect it appears to show with your diminishing/selective memory of Raj Singh.

This particularly piece stood out for me....

Quote:
We all have differing views on Singh, accept that, but wow what a different picture it could have been just now! Stand built, good players, good results and exciting times. Yes, a risk, but hey has no one on here been given a second chance?


What makes you so sure Singh's involvement would have resulted in the stand being built, us having good players and that it would be exiting times?

It seems to me you're one of these fans who like the rest of us having being spoiled for the last 5 years have come to expect success as standard and you are quite happy to block what happened in 2012 out of your mind as long as YOU are getting this assumed success.

As many of us have all agreed on we'd hit a brick wall in the National League and would likely struggle and come tumbling down again (as per Chester and Halifax in recent years) would you describe that as exciting times? Your sentiments, although true to some extent just sounds to me like you're more disappointed you're not getting your own way and you're not getting the success you openly admit you've gotten used to.

Also, speaking of ulterior motives remember it was under the premise of potential land development that Singh got involved with George Houghton and DFC in the first place. There's a nice few acres at Blackwell Meadow's isn't there? Could get yourself a few houses on it couldn't you? Singh had his chance, he blew it and as for giving him a second chance on that logic we should also do the same for the two George's? Would you have either of them back? Thought not.

Quote:
Don't underestimate just because they don't appear on here just how many fans would welcome an "owner" with money, and yes a degree of risk, rather than settle for mediocrity which is what worries me will happen


I would certainly not be against external investment or new owners however I would like to point out the following facts:

We had three previous owners who could be described as falling into that category as being "with money"....

George Reynolds 1999 - 2004

Yes he saved the club after the whole Peden/East Stand fiasco but he lumbered us with a massive white elephant which he ploughed everything into which resulted, after one successful season in 2000, 3 seasons of abject mediocrity 20th, 16th and 14th place finishes before ending up in administration with in months of moving into the new stadium.

Although some won't like hearing this, had it not been for Hodgy we would almost definitely have been relegated to the Conference in 2004 and possibly made a swift return to Feethams had we survived.

Short term success, end result disaster.

George Houghton 2006 - 2009

Spent lavishly on players such as Pawel Abbott & Julian Joachim set a relatively realistic target of being in the Championship in 5 years. We seemed to be on course for promotion in 2007/08 until a catastrophic injury crisis saw us drop into the play offs in which we were beaten on penalties by Rochdale.

The following season despite an apparently reduced budget and the abolition of the reserve team we were once again challenging for promotion but with crowds dwindling and recording reported losses of £50,000 per week we were put into administration for a second time, we all know what happened next....

Short term success, end result disaster.

Raj Singh 2009 - 2012

Reluctantly bought the club from George Houghton inherited a team of cast offs assembled by Colin Todd on gentleman's agreements, two managers and 50+ players later we are relegated from the Football League.

Took a punt on promotion in the National League first time round, missed out on the play offs but we won the FA Trophy at Wembley in 2011.

Asked for 2,000 adult ST holders to "save the club" the following season didn't get them crowds barely moved after Wembley success, coupled with losing the Arena months earlier to Scott & Sizer and things going wrong on the pitch the end result once again, biblical disaster after short term success.

The point being that although none of us want mediocrity I would happily take it every time over the torturous existence of living day by day and the anxious and depressing atmosphere around the place that comes with administration, it doesn't matter how many times you do it I don't think you ever get used to it, it is horrendous.

We've had boom or bust and look where it got us, if a new owner comes in with a long term vision and is committed for 5/10 years then I'd happily accept them.

What I don't want and I'm sure I speak for everyone is someone who flashes the cash and then pulls the plug after a couple of years when things get tough and leave us circling the drain once again we've done it too many times and if we go again, we'll stay gone.

If maintaining the future stability of the club under fan ownership comes at the expense of depriving you of success then I will happily do so, MG is gone as he has aspirations of getting to the Football League something which sadly we are not even close to doing on or off the pitch.

Yes I want success, we all want success but I personally am not ready to go cap in hand to just anyone, especially a former owner who as has been said above left us with no ground, no team, no manager hundreds of thousands worth of debt and in the Northern League just on the off chance we'll have "exciting times" for another year or so.

TL;DR but I don't care.

_________________
love it! wrote:
Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Posts: 2898
Team Supported: Darlington
tezza wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
You have to feel sorry for Martin Gray.

Having to curtail his ambitions for a short while must have been terribly difficult for him.


Astonishing:

Had we not hounded out 2 dedicated Directors over the ground grading fiasco, then I would suggest that he would possibly have been given his marching orders the Saturday after his "fans forum outburst"

Clearly the "In Martin Gray We Trust" brigade must now realise how hollow that rings.

There clearly was a conspiracy clique at work, the sole intent under the guise of "whats best for the club & fans" was all about the ambition of 1 man. This burning ambition undermining the ethos of the board, DFCSG and every fan that had invested.
This conspiracy , probably minus the odious Singh has continued since, with the self appointed , MG Cronie David Johnson overseeing, and rubber stamping events. I think we can start a countdown on his tenure.

In regard to MG achievements ,they are now a matter of record.Like many I have enjoyed the last 5 seasons more than any in my over 50 years of watching DFC. We do owe him a gratitude to assisting us to get where we are from where we were, however he too in return should never forget that it was only with the dedication & commitment that the fans in general displayed that has got him where he wanted to be.

There was a York fan on the board enquiring about MG Style. We all know on the field he prefers direct sometimes unattractive football. York seem equipped to convert to these tactics, however the same fan may have also been enquiring about his managerial style? To my mind the recent events, transfer dealings, playing tactics underpinned by contemptuous after match interviews, he can be summed up as the archetypical schoolyard bully.

Sometimes you have to be careful of what you wish for, MG has been granted his. For him the often perceived comfort of non league football may seem a long way away come March 2018 with a club that has a singular ambition. Get it wrong .. and I wish him well ..but he has risked everything on a one shot target. He could find himself on the heap of former out of work managers with the label "he had his chance and failed"

His departure now more than ever calls for us fans to stay with and support the likes of John Tempest , encourage the likes of Wayne Raper, after a short sabbatical to reconsider his position. Similarly others with the skills, time and dedication to step forward.

There is no immediate prospect of the "right" outside investor on the horizon, there therefore seems little option but to continue for the foreseeable future what we have started. Concentrate on the infrastructure, lower the expectations of the on the pitch activities seeking consolidation certainly for this season. Then have a clear strategy for the coming 5 years.

Lets start by turning up at the next home game and giving Attky, Gregan and the players our support


Tezza. I WAS BEING SARCASTIC.

Gray (to me) has let the promotions and success go to his head. He thought we were Gray Utd, a vehicle specifically made for him to move forward. Personally, I'm glad he's gone.

_________________
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:14 pm
Posts: 4077
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn
Quakerz wrote:
WHY does fan owned = mediocrity?

WHY are fans in such a rush to get up the leagues anyway? You do realise that even with significant investment that we will hit a ceiling at some point anyway?



Completely agree. The difficulty comes in defining that ceiling or aspiration.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Posts: 20431
Team Supported: Darlington
quaker4life wrote:
After clocking up an impressive 52 years it's quite clear you are one of the older supporters among us and with respect it appears to show with your diminishing/selective memory of Raj Singh.

This particularly piece stood out for me....

Quote:
We all have differing views on Singh, accept that, but wow what a different picture it could have been just now! Stand built, good players, good results and exciting times. Yes, a risk, but hey has no one on here been given a second chance?


What makes you so sure Singh's involvement would have resulted in the stand being built, us having good players and that it would be exiting times?

It seems to me you're one of these fans who like the rest of us having being spoiled for the last 5 years have come to expect success as standard and you are quite happy to block what happened in 2012 out of your mind as long as YOU are getting this assumed success.

As many of us have all agreed on we'd hit a brick wall in the National League and would likely struggle and come tumbling down again (as per Chester and Halifax in recent years) would you describe that as exciting times? Your sentiments, although true to some extent just sounds to me like you're more disappointed you're not getting your own way and you're not getting the success you openly admit you've gotten used to.

Also, speaking of ulterior motives remember it was under the premise of potential land development that Singh got involved with George Houghton and DFC in the first place. There's a nice few acres at Blackwell Meadow's isn't there? Could get yourself a few houses on it couldn't you? Singh had his chance, he blew it and as for giving him a second chance on that logic we should also do the same for the two George's? Would you have either of them back? Thought not.

Quote:
Don't underestimate just because they don't appear on here just how many fans would welcome an "owner" with money, and yes a degree of risk, rather than settle for mediocrity which is what worries me will happen


I would certainly not be against external investment or new owners however I would like to point out the following facts:

We had three previous owners who could be described as falling into that category as being "with money"....

George Reynolds 1999 - 2004

Yes he saved the club after the whole Peden/East Stand fiasco but he lumbered us with a massive white elephant which he ploughed everything into which resulted, after one successful season in 2000, 3 seasons of abject mediocrity 20th, 16th and 14th place finishes before ending up in administration with in months of moving into the new stadium.

Although some won't like hearing this, had it not been for Hodgy we would almost definitely have been relegated to the Conference in 2004 and possibly made a swift return to Feethams had we survived.

Short term success, end result disaster.

George Houghton 2006 - 2009

Spent lavishly on players such as Pawel Abbott & Julian Joachim set a relatively realistic target of being in the Championship in 5 years. We seemed to be on course for promotion in 2007/08 until a catastrophic injury crisis saw us drop into the play offs in which we were beaten on penalties by Rochdale.

The following season despite an apparently reduced budget and the abolition of the reserve team we were once again challenging for promotion but with crowds dwindling and recording reported losses of £50,000 per week we were put into administration for a second time, we all know what happened next....

Short term success, end result disaster.

Raj Singh 2009 - 2012

Reluctantly bought the club from George Houghton inherited a team of cast offs assembled by Colin Todd on gentleman's agreements, two managers and 50+ players later we are relegated from the Football League.

Took a punt on promotion in the National League first time round, missed out on the play offs but we won the FA Trophy at Wembley in 2011.

Asked for 2,000 adult ST holders to "save the club" the following season didn't get them crowds barely moved after Wembley success, coupled with losing the Arena months earlier to Scott & Sizer and things going wrong on the pitch the end result once again, biblical disaster after short term success.

The point being that although none of us want mediocrity I would happily take it every time over the torturous existence of living day by day and the anxious and depressing atmosphere around the place that comes with administration, it doesn't matter how many times you do it I don't think you ever get used to it, it is horrendous.

We've had boom or bust and look where it got us, if a new owner comes in with a long term vision and is committed for 5/10 years then I'd happily accept them.

What I don't want and I'm sure I speak for everyone is someone who flashes the cash and then pulls the plug after a couple of years when things get tough and leave us circling the drain once again we've done it too many times and if we go again, we'll stay gone.

If maintaining the future stability of the club under fan ownership comes at the expense of depriving you of success then I will happily do so, MG is gone as he has aspirations of getting to the Football League something which sadly we are not even close to doing on or off the pitch.

Yes I want success, we all want success but I personally am not ready to go cap in hand to just anyone, especially a former owner who as has been said above left us with no ground, no team, no manager hundreds of thousands worth of debt and in the Northern League just on the off chance we'll have "exciting times" for another year or so.

TL;DR but I don't care.


This is the best thing that you have ever posted. Very well put across.

_________________
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Posts: 397
Team Supported: Darlington
quaker4life wrote:
After clocking up an impressive 52 years it's quite clear you are one of the older supporters among us and with respect it appears to show with your diminishing/selective memory of Raj Singh.

This particularly piece stood out for me....

Quote:
We all have differing views on Singh, accept that, but wow what a different picture it could have been just now! Stand built, good players, good results and exciting times. Yes, a risk, but hey has no one on here been given a second chance?


What makes you so sure Singh's involvement would have resulted in the stand being built, us having good players and that it would be exiting times?

It seems to me you're one of these fans who like the rest of us having being spoiled for the last 5 years have come to expect success as standard and you are quite happy to block what happened in 2012 out of your mind as long as YOU are getting this assumed success.

As many of us have all agreed on we'd hit a brick wall in the National League and would likely struggle and come tumbling down again (as per Chester and Halifax in recent years) would you describe that as exciting times? Your sentiments, although true to some extent just sounds to me like you're more disappointed you're not getting your own way and you're not getting the success you openly admit you've gotten used to.

Also, speaking of ulterior motives remember it was under the premise of potential land development that Singh got involved with George Houghton and DFC in the first place. There's a nice few acres at Blackwell Meadow's isn't there? Could get yourself a few houses on it couldn't you? Singh had his chance, he blew it and as for giving him a second chance on that logic we should also do the same for the two George's? Would you have either of them back? Thought not.

Quote:
Don't underestimate just because they don't appear on here just how many fans would welcome an "owner" with money, and yes a degree of risk, rather than settle for mediocrity which is what worries me will happen


I would certainly not be against external investment or new owners however I would like to point out the following facts:

We had three previous owners who could be described as falling into that category as being "with money"....

George Reynolds 1999 - 2004

Yes he saved the club after the whole Peden/East Stand fiasco but he lumbered us with a massive white elephant which he ploughed everything into which resulted, after one successful season in 2000, 3 seasons of abject mediocrity 20th, 16th and 14th place finishes before ending up in administration with in months of moving into the new stadium.

Although some won't like hearing this, had it not been for Hodgy we would almost definitely have been relegated to the Conference in 2004 and possibly made a swift return to Feethams had we survived.

Short term success, end result disaster.

George Houghton 2006 - 2009

Spent lavishly on players such as Pawel Abbott & Julian Joachim set a relatively realistic target of being in the Championship in 5 years. We seemed to be on course for promotion in 2007/08 until a catastrophic injury crisis saw us drop into the play offs in which we were beaten on penalties by Rochdale.

The following season despite an apparently reduced budget and the abolition of the reserve team we were once again challenging for promotion but with crowds dwindling and recording reported losses of £50,000 per week we were put into administration for a second time, we all know what happened next....

Short term success, end result disaster.

Raj Singh 2009 - 2012

Reluctantly bought the club from George Houghton inherited a team of cast offs assembled by Colin Todd on gentleman's agreements, two managers and 50+ players later we are relegated from the Football League.

Took a punt on promotion in the National League first time round, missed out on the play offs but we won the FA Trophy at Wembley in 2011.

Asked for 2,000 adult ST holders to "save the club" the following season didn't get them crowds barely moved after Wembley success, coupled with losing the Arena months earlier to Scott & Sizer and things going wrong on the pitch the end result once again, biblical disaster after short term success.

The point being that although none of us want mediocrity I would happily take it every time over the torturous existence of living day by day and the anxious and depressing atmosphere around the place that comes with administration, it doesn't matter how many times you do it I don't think you ever get used to it, it is horrendous.

We've had boom or bust and look where it got us, if a new owner comes in with a long term vision and is committed for 5/10 years then I'd happily accept them.

What I don't want and I'm sure I speak for everyone is someone who flashes the cash and then pulls the plug after a couple of years when things get tough and leave us circling the drain once again we've done it too many times and if we go again, we'll stay gone.

If maintaining the future stability of the club under fan ownership comes at the expense of depriving you of success then I will happily do so, MG is gone as he has aspirations of getting to the Football League something which sadly we are not even close to doing on or off the pitch.

Yes I want success, we all want success but I personally am not ready to go cap in hand to just anyone, especially a former owner who as has been said above left us with no ground, no team, no manager hundreds of thousands worth of debt and in the Northern League just on the off chance we'll have "exciting times" for another year or so.

TL;DR but I don't care.


:clap: :clap: :clap:

We need stability. We're more than capable of getting out of this division as a fan owned club, but we need a damn stadium first.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:11 pm
Posts: 2045
Team Supported: Darlington
I don’t share the view that we can get out of this league as a part time outfit running in the way we are. I’m ok with that.

There’s only two teams going up and by definition we’d have to punch massively above our weight to be one of them.

Sure it’s possible but it’s not probable. We need several years of strengthening off the pitch and attracting more businesses and fans to support us before we could realistically have a crack at it IMO.

Not trying to be defeatist, just pragmatic.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Posts: 936
Team Supported: Darlington
Excellent post that sums our past up very well. It's been a rollercoaster ride and I don't want to get off. A season or so of stability and get the stand sorted won't harm us and I think our hard core support will stick with it. We've raised hundreds of thousands of £££s and moved back home. Didn't George 1st suggest the premiership in five years?!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 9490
Team Supported: Darlington
The more I hear about what has happened, then I'm pleased he's gone. Gray certainly for me, outstayed his welcome. I'm sure Gregan and Atkinson will steer us to calmer waters and I hope everybody gives them a big welcome on Saturday.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 10801
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo_Pete wrote:
The more I hear about what has happened, then I'm pleased he's gone. Gray certainly for me, outstayed his welcome. I'm sure Gregan and Atkinson will steer us to calmer waters and I hope everybody gives them a big welcome on Saturday.
They've been here for over 5 years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 9490
Team Supported: Darlington
Spyman wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
The more I hear about what has happened, then I'm pleased he's gone. Gray certainly for me, outstayed his welcome. I'm sure Gregan and Atkinson will steer us to calmer waters and I hope everybody gives them a big welcome on Saturday.
They've been here for over 5 years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


Yes but under Gray, now they can show what they can do now he's left.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:18 am
Posts: 385
Team Supported: Darlington
I just seen that Gray has gone!, been in Disneyland for 10 days, I fear we will now become a Micky mouse club!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Posts: 9490
Team Supported: Darlington
bertbanger wrote:
I just seen that Gray has gone!, been in Disneyland for 10 days, I fear we will now become a Micky mouse club!!


We may not have been, but we are now after losing another 2 managers only 5 days later.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm
Posts: 712
Team Supported: Darlington
Darlo_Pete wrote:
bertbanger wrote:
I just seen that Gray has gone!, been in Disneyland for 10 days, I fear we will now become a Micky mouse club!!


We may not have been, but we are now after losing another 2 managers only 5 days later.


Ok Pluto.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Mr_Tibbs and 54 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group